more ยป" />

The Finish Pine

by Meghann on December 10, 2012

Good Morning!

How was everyone’s weekend? Do anything crazy?

We kept it pretty low key around here working on wedding stuff, cleaning the house, and attending Wild Wonderland at Lowry Park Zoo. It was just the relaxing weekend we were hoping for. ๐Ÿ™‚

After a relaxing weekend, I was more than ready to get after it at CrossFit this morning.

20121210_074921.jpg

Usually Mondays at CrossFit are the hardest WODs of the week, but this one was, thankfully, not terrible. It was the perfect WOD to ease into the week with.

Warm-Up: 25 jumping jacks, 25 mountain climbers, 3×5 of squats, push ups, and ring rows

We started with 25 jumping jacks and 25 mountain climbers then did three sets of the squat, push up, and ring row circuit. My whole body was tight and really needed the warm up.

Skill focus:

• Back Squat 3×5
  • Dumbbell Bench Press 3×5
  • Rest 2 minutes

There were a few warm-up sets where we had to work up to our 5 rep weight. Our goal was to get heavy enough where we were pushing ourselves for all reps, but not too heavy where we couldn’t complete all three sets at five reps a piece. If we could only do four reps on the third set, then that set didn’t count. We would have to shed the weight to get the five reps in, then count the lower weight towards our overall total.

I was partnered with someone who lifts a little bit more than I do (alright, a lot more) on the regular. I followed her lead for the first warm-up sets, but I think I may have jumped too high with her. We went from 75 lbs (where I felt really comfortable) to 95 lbs (where I could only do two reps at a time) and I quickly realized I had gone too heavy. I reverted back to 85 lbs and felt comfortable enough with that weight for all three sets of reps.

There’s something to be said to why a good warm-up is important. Instead of feeling weaker on my last set of reps, I felt stronger, as if I could have done more at that weight or gone higher. I bet if I hadn’t jumped so quickly in the initial warm-up, I could have built up to 95 for the reps. Learned my lesson there – I should test my own limits at my own pace and not be tempted when my bar partner jumps weight a lot quicker than I should. Also, a good warm-up is key to a successful WOD.

WOD: 40 meter sprint every 30 seconds for 5 minutes

I love sprints. You push yourself really hard for a short amount of time, then you get to rest. Who doesn’t love resting? We did a total of 10 sprints in the span of 5 minutes.

Rest 5 minutes

• 5 Burpees
  • 7 Wall Balls
  • AMRAP 5 minutes

I didn’t realize how worn out I was after the sprints until we started the burpees and wall balls. I was wiped and felt like I was moving slow as molasses. I know we’re not supposed to compare ourselves to others in CrossFit, but sometimes my competitive side takes over and that’s what pushes me through a WOD. When I couldn’t find anything deep inside myself to push me forward, I decided a new goal would be just to keep up with the girl next to me and try to beat her. I didn’t beat her, but trying to keep up with her was what kept me moving. ๐Ÿ™‚

20121210_080207.jpg

85 = weight for back squat, 25 = weight fro dumbbells, 6 = total rounds of burpees and wall squats

Blackberries were on sale at Fresh Market yesterday. I don’t usually shop at Fresh Market but the huge sign that read blackberries were on sale for 98 cents per 6 oz container caught my attention. I bought two!

The blackberries were on my mind this morning, I knew I wanted to have them with some yogurt and cereal.

In the mix:

• 1/2 cup Erewhon Buckwheat & Hemp
  • 1 red pear
  • plain Chobani
  • blackberries
  • almond butter
  • pecans

The pear + blackberry combination pretty much summed up the weather outside right now – a late fall vibe with some summer heat still looming. ๐Ÿ™‚

Finish Pine

How fun are these runner-themed Christmas trees Runner’s World has been posting on their Facebook page?!

28074_10151153649131987_1159736765_n.jpg 531801_10151158560386987_257037809_n.jpg 374396_10151152840206987_1464285983_n.jpg 309209_10151152950906987_896653524_n.jpg

Adorable!

I’ll admit I’m a little tempted to recreate one next year… or maybe have one on display at our wedding? Instead of a “wish” tree – how about a medal tree? ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’m just kidding!!! Well.. kidding about the one at the wedding, not about one in our living room. We’ll have to see what 2013 brings! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Do you incorporate any of your races on your tree? I think it could be a fun way to honor some of your running accomplishments from that year. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Allison December 10, 2012 at 11:11 am

Those trees are cute!

2 Beka @ rebeccaroams December 10, 2012 at 11:47 am

I love the medal/bib themed trees! We have a smaller 4′ tree with a bunch of ornaments already. I’d be tempted to throw a few on it if there was room ๐Ÿ™‚
Love blackberries! Not often that they are on sale – that’s a great buy!
Beka @ rebeccaroams recently posted..Medieval Madness

3 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin December 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I only have one race medal so far but I would love to do something like that tree many many years from now! Such a cool idea ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm

HAha I love the tree with the medals, that would be great for a racing couple! Although I probably wouldn’t do that if I were having people over, it’s a little show-off-y (yes, that’s a word)
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..BBCโ€“Week 7

5 Charlie (The Runner Beans) December 10, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Those trees are so fun!! Love the star made of bibs!
Charlie (The Runner Beans) recently posted..Some Failed Resolutions

6 Peggy December 10, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I’m slowly starting to get into Crossfit, but I’ve still got a long way to go before I can do anything crazy! Those trees are way too cute =)

7 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats December 10, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I have a few medals on our tree! I always toss the bibs though :/ I think blackberries are delish year round, yum!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Korean BBQ and a rest day

8 Annette @FitnessPerks December 10, 2012 at 1:07 pm

HAH. Those trees are awesome!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Les Mills CXWORX Instructor Training Recap

9 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions December 10, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I saw those trees on Runner’s World on Friday…absolutely love it! I’ve only got a couple of medals right now, but someday when I have more, I’ll be all over this.
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Best Body Bootcamp Week 7: Tabat-ow

10 Melissa @TryingtoHeal December 10, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Haha, I don’t have enough medals to do that. My brothers could though! Haha! A sibling running medal tree then!?
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Oh Nuts! Macadamia Nut Cherry Banana Bread

11 Christie December 10, 2012 at 2:01 pm

The trees are cute, but I would feel uncomfortable displaying medals in such an in-your-face way. It strikes me as kind of braggy.

12 Elizabeth- My Neon Running Shoes December 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Never even thought about incorporating races onto the tree but what a unique idea!
Elizabeth- My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..The truth rears its ugly head

13 Melissa December 10, 2012 at 4:23 pm

We totally put our race medals on the tree this year. Even between the two of us we don’t have nearly as many as the one in your photo, and we put them on with all the other ornaments, but it’s still fun!

14 Amanda December 10, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I saw one of those race medal trees on RW Daily the other week… and I totally copied it and hung some of our race medals from our tree this year! None have fallen off yet either!
Amanda recently posted..Personal Training

15 Chuck December 11, 2012 at 12:35 am

I’m glad you had a great weekend Meghann! Good for you pushing you what sounds like a really tough WOD–Sprints are killer. We did Fran today–hardest 7 minutes I’ve had in a long while.

I love the tree idea as well! I wish that one third of the lights on mine weren’t out… not sure how to fix that lol

16 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper December 11, 2012 at 9:46 am

I got such a kick out of those Christmas trees when I first saw them. That right there is motivation to run more races!
Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper recently posted..Links For All: 12/9/12

17 Emily N December 11, 2012 at 10:40 am

I have some races incorporated on to my tree… Kind of. I have an ornament that is a flying pig that my mom bought me after the marathon. Does that count?

here he is, in case you decide he is a must have for your tree! http://www.christmastraditions.com/Orns/OldWorld/OWGlass/OW11/12352.jpg
Emily N recently posted..A Rest Day (lame) and my TREE!

18 Meghann December 11, 2012 at 10:59 am

I’d say that counts! i think it would be fun to start collecting ornaments from all the races Derek and I run. I think we need a Ragnar one!

19 Liz December 12, 2012 at 11:07 am

I love those trees. I could only wish to have a few of those medals. I still haven’t got one yet, but I am working on it ๐Ÿ™‚
Liz recently posted..FD215 โ€“ Wednesday Rewind & Reflections