Over Thinking

by Meghann on December 9, 2012

I tend to over think meals when I’m hungry. It’s a huge combination of never knowing exactly what I want and believing I should turn every meal into a huge production. I spent 10 minutes at the grocery store this afternoon debating between a pre-made pizza, making my own pizza, grilling burgers, or picking up burritos on the way home for lunch.

Derek doesn’t over think food at all. He has a way of pulling me back to reality, especially when I’m in a weird hangry mood. I called him while I was at the store to see what he wanted and he answered with the simplistic answer of “I’m not sure. I’ll probably just make a sandwich.” Of course. A sandwich. Easy enough. You’ve got bread, protein, condiment, done. No over thinking required. Perfect.

As soon as he mentioned having a sandwich, it clicked and I knew exactly what I wanted. I headed to the deli for some of the roasted turkey breast on sale and grabbed a crusty baguette from the bakery. I knew there was already goat cheese and fig preserves in the fridge – perfect.

The sandwich was awesome. You can never go wrong with a good sandwich in my book. πŸ™‚

I served the turkey, goat cheese, spinach, and fig preserves sandwich with a side of carrots and pickles.

While I was at the grocery store, the Apron Meals booth caught my attention, per usual.

That booth gets me every time! What can I say – the sample of the Sweet Chili Pineapple Fish I tried was fantastic. Only problem was Derek just gave a big speech yesterday how he’s done with fish. I decided to give it a try for dinner, but opted to trade out the fish for chicken.

I had to adjust the cooking times (the chicken needed a little longer to cook), left out the chili sauce, and added in some fresh grated ginger (I thought the sample I tried needed it). Despite the changes, the finished product was still delicious, I’d count this recipe as an easy win.

I served the chicken over a mini-stir fry of onion, carrot, and broccoli.

Yum.

A little bit of dark chocolate for dessert.

Our cleaning cleanse didn’t get very far. I basically got sucked into my closet after doing laundry and spent the majority of the afternoon cleaning and organizing in there. The good news is you can now see the bottom of my closet floor, I have a nice size bag of clothes to donate, and there’s some free space. The bad news is I neglected every other room in the house. Oh well, that closet has needed some work for a while and it feels good to have everything in its spot for once.

Also, cleaning/organizing is an awesome time to catchup on audiobook listening. I was able to clean AND knock out a couple of chapters for this month’s book for book club (we’re reading Drowning Ruth and I’m really enjoying it) – I’d count that as a win. πŸ™‚

Now I’m going to make myself a hot cup of tea and relax a little more before bed.

Good Night!

1 Liz December 9, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I love sandwiches. The only meat I eat is fish sometimes, but you would be amazed that a sandwich can still taste really good without the meat. My closet also seems to always need cleaning and I am not a big clothes shopper. So I feel your pain. πŸ™‚
Liz recently posted..FD213 – Hazardous Waste Pit in My Sink?..Soap Box Sunday

2 Sara @my less serious life December 10, 2012 at 6:38 am

i do the exact same thing when i am over-hungry about meal planning. for some reason i want what i fix to eat to be ‘perfect’ in that scenario. sometimes – just making something simple is all you need. good that the men in our lives can remind us of that sometimes.
Sara @my less serious life recently posted..weekend review: back to normal

3 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats December 10, 2012 at 7:08 am

Ah I am always indecisive when I’m hangry. I haven’t tried an audio book in years because I just couldnt get into it. Any tips for which books make good audio books?
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Korean BBQ and a rest day

4 NYC Fit GIrl December 10, 2012 at 8:25 am

I am always pretty confused when I am hungry too. I usually tend to go for the non-healthy stuff when I am super hungry!
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..Make Fit Happen

5 Melissa @TryingtoHeal December 10, 2012 at 11:04 am

I eat sandwiches all the time when I’m on a whim about what to eat for dinner. So easy and so many types you can make πŸ™‚ Either that or stir fry with every vegetable I have in the fridge. Never fails. With Japanese rice of course. πŸ™‚
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Oh Nuts! Macadamia Nut Cherry Banana Bread

6 Corrie @ Blurb Column December 10, 2012 at 11:17 am

Where do you get your audio books? I see you post about them often and think it would be a great idea, but then I go to Amazon and they are so expensive! Also, I live in a tiny town so our library selection is…pitiful. Any suggestions?
Corrie @ Blurb Column recently posted..Healthy Living….Again

7 Meghann December 10, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I have an audible.com subscription where I download two books a month for $25. Unfortunately audiobooks aren’t cheap unless you go the library route. :/

8 The Many Thoughts of a Reader December 10, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I read Drowning Ruth a couple years ago now I think and enjoyed it!
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..On The Menu This Week

9 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper December 11, 2012 at 9:45 am

I’m the same way when it comes to overthinking meals. You’d think that when we’re hungry, it would be easier to pick a meal, since we’d just want anything in our stomachs, but nope!
Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper recently posted..Links For All: 12/9/12