Mexican Smothered Chicken

by Meghann on December 6, 2012

This is a meal pieced together from a kitchen with “no food.”

Steam-in-a-bag edamame from the freezer

Apple chicken breakfast sausage and cheddar cheese from the fridge

Dried peaches and pecans from the pantry.

Boo-yah! No food? Pshh… I got this. πŸ˜‰

Other food of note: plain chobani with fig preserves, granola, and walnuts for an afternoon snack.

I did go to the store this afternoon to pick up supplies for dinner. I brought home some chicken breast and told Derek I wasn’t sure what to do with it. He asked Siri for her opinion on what we should have and she recommended a smothered chicken recipe with onion, cheese, and bacon. We didn’t have bacon, but that did give me an idea for a mexican version of smothered chicken.

Unfortunately the lighting in our house isn’t the greatest for a great photo, but I promise the final product was delicious. I split the chicken breast down the middle and added sautΓ©ed onions, shredded cheddar cheese, and salsa on top. After 30 minutes in the oven at 350, the mexican smothered chicken was amazing. Such a quick and easy recipe I would make again.

Chocolate covered strawberries for dessert.

I lamely bailed on swim practice today. I was all set to go (had my bag packed and in my car and everything), but it got to be 30 minutes until practice and I still had one more errand to run (I chose the errand instead of driving to practice). I don’t feel guilty about not swimming, but I do feel guilty about bailing on my friends. I miss my swim teammates and I really do need to get back in the pool! That’s my mission for next week – get back in the pool! I have no interest in losing all of the swim skills I picked up over the summer and I miss my swim teammates to pieces. πŸ™‚

Derek and I are watching the seventh season of How I Met Your Mother on Netflix. LOVE this show. I think we just agreed on the middle name of our future unborn child… Wait For It πŸ˜‰

Good Night!

1 Brittany @Berries and Barbells December 6, 2012 at 10:23 pm

“It’s gonna be Legen…dary!” LOVE LOVE LOVE that show.
Brittany @Berries and Barbells recently posted..Confessions of a Former Fat Girl

2 TorontoRunner December 6, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Time for me to duck – I don’t actually like How I Met Your Mother… eeek.
TorontoRunner recently posted..Treadmill Bonding

3 Priscilla P December 6, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I looove How I Met Your Mother and I’m so happy most of it is on Netflix!
Priscilla P recently posted..busy bee

4 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner December 6, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I pitched the idea of ‘Wait For It’ to my husband as our child’s middle name. He didn’t go for it. πŸ™‚
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Cooking Class FTW!

5 Liz December 6, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Sometimes the meals we throw together are the best. Yours actually looks very good & still healthy. πŸ™‚
Liz recently posted..FD210 – Movie Night, Pizza, Popcorn & Quality Time

6 Kristen December 7, 2012 at 1:01 am

I’m also powering through season 7 of HIMYM- love that show! I want another Robin Sparkles music video though
Kristen recently posted..Polk Street Boxing Gym

7 Jacque Raine December 7, 2012 at 3:50 am

These are mouth watering! I love the chocolate covered strawberries perfect for desserts.
Jacque Raine recently posted..Famous Secret Societies

8 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats December 7, 2012 at 5:41 am

I love HIMYM. And loovvee the middle name! Sometimes the meals that result from “nothing in the kitchen” turn out to be the best πŸ™‚
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Friday Favorites

9 Morgan December 7, 2012 at 5:56 am

If those are breakfast sausages you have a gift of photographing puny food to look huge!

10 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 7, 2012 at 7:46 am

I never thought to ask siri what to make for dinner! Haha I love it!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Technogel Pillow Review

11 Sara @ fitcupcaker December 7, 2012 at 9:24 am

I do this a lot too, but I love edamame! And those chocolate covered strawberries look divine! I had 2 buckeyes for dessert last night, yum.

12 Steph @321delish December 7, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Your swim teammates miss you too!!
Steph @321delish recently posted..Tough Mudder Tampa