Ab-Solutely Fabulous

by Meghann on December 6, 2012

Good Morning!

I had a great session at CrossFit this morning with this Ab-Solutely Fabulous Workout.

20121206_075911.jpg

Our group was introduced to the “Zercher Squat” which is basically where you hold the bar in the crook of your elbow and squat.

ZercherSquat.jpg

(source)

It’s an awkward move that hurt the inside of my arms more than anything. I was afraid to add weight in fear of bruising the inside of my arm, but looking back I think I could have done more. The position is supposed to mimic a real-life lifting scenario, since it’s a similar position you would take on when moving a heavy box, furniture, etc. It wasn’t my favorite move, but it was fun to learn something new.

After our skill focus, we did an ab-heavy Tabata for our WOD:

• sit ups
  • toes to bar
  • MB get ups (just realized I RXed this with the 14lb ball I used!)
  • plank
  • hollow rocks

We had 2 minutes for each move with a one minute rest in between. For the 2 minutes, we had 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off, so each 2 minute segment was broken into 4 parts. When he was demonstrating all the moves it didn’t seem so bad, but once we started (and were constantly encouraged to “go hard!” “not give up” and reminded “it’s only 2 minutes!”) it got tough!

The MB (medicine ball) get ups were the worst. I was handed the recommended 14lb ball for the workout and didn’t have a chance to practice before the workout started. When it got to the MB get ups, we all kind of stumbled going up for the first time and laughed as none of us realized it was going to be that hard (darn the instructors making it look so easy!).

For the MB get ups, you start on the ground with the ball above your head and proceed to stand up with the ball remaining above your head the whole time. I thought I would just pop up, but that did not happen. I did try though and got an A for effort (even if I only managed a total of 8 in the entire 2 minutes!). And, hey!, I stuck with the 14lb ball! I’m proud of myself for that! πŸ™‚

The hollow rocks were another thing that seemed easy for the first 20 seconds, but I was struggling in the last 20 seconds. I just kept telling myself that I only had X amount of increments to do and I was done. Counting down helped and I about collapsed when we were done. My core is going to be sore in the morning!

20121206_075953.jpg

The 75 was my maxed weight for the zercher squat and 121 was my total number of reps for the tabata.

The cast iron skillet was still out from last night when I got home, so I decided to see if I could make eggs in it.

The eggs were obviously not very pretty, but they were tasty. The best part about the cast iron skillet is the extra seasoning it gives to everything. Loved it!

On the side I also had some orange slices (yay for citrus season!) and some leftover pumpkin french toast casserole from my bridal shower.

Very good.

I’ll leave you with a little art that was up at my CrossFit Box today.

20121206_080108.jpg

‘Tis the season for buff snowmen!

Have a great day!

1 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats December 6, 2012 at 10:03 am

The MB get ups sound intense! I have no idea what a hollow rock is but this seems like a great overall ab workout. I will have to try some MB get ups next ab day πŸ™‚
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..I’m dreaming of a warm Christmas

2 Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food December 6, 2012 at 10:13 am

I hate MB get ups!But 14 lbs is very impressive!
I use my cast iron skillet all the time. I have an iron deficiency and my Grandma told me that would help. I didn’t really believe it at first but I tried it and I honestly believe it helps!
Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food recently posted..The Pre-Diet Binge

3 NYC Fit GIrl December 6, 2012 at 10:19 am

haha love the snowman! SO much Fun!!!
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..In a fog

4 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 6, 2012 at 10:22 am

HAha I didn’t realize december was the season for anything other than squashes! I guess it’s very different when you live in FL!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

5 Meghann December 6, 2012 at 10:48 am

December, January, and February are prime citrus season down here! http://www.showcaseofcitrus.com/season-chart/

6 TorontoRunner December 6, 2012 at 10:28 am

Wow I’ve never heard/seen of that type of squat before. That just LOOKS painful!
TorontoRunner recently posted..The price is always right.

7 Lindsay December 6, 2012 at 10:36 am

Did you season/cure your cast iron skillet when you received it? Just asking because I totally made that mistake. I couldn’t figure out why things kept sticking in mine. Doh!
Lindsay recently posted..Braving Antique Weekend in Warrenton

8 Meghann December 6, 2012 at 10:46 am

It was a “pre-seasoned” cast iron skillet. The only instructions were to use oil with the first use.

9 Natalie @ Free Range Human December 6, 2012 at 10:47 am

I love that snowman! So cute!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Birthday Eats

10 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer December 6, 2012 at 11:31 am

My abs hurt just looking at that workout. I’ve done the Get Ups with kettlebell and dumbbells, but a med ball? YIKES! You’re so hard core. Also- I need a buff snowman for my yard… do they have inflatables like that? I’m sure my neighbors would love it!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Celebrate the Progress {Under Armour Giveaway!}

11 Emily N December 6, 2012 at 11:31 am

But fan of the buff snowman. i ALSO think i may try some MB get-ups next time i am strength training!
Emily N recently posted..First Night in Vegas – Pre-race

12 Annette @FitnessPerks December 6, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I just did 30 mins CXworx (Les Mills core class) to prepare for this weekend’s training ….ohhhh buddy. That is tough stuff.

YAY for citrus season!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..It’s Okay to Get Uncomfortable

13 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions December 6, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Bahahaha a buff snowman. Love it.

Clementines totally scream Christmas to me, so I’m excited that it’s getting to be that time of year. Plus clementines, unlike some fruit, don’t go gross within a few days, which is great for someone like me who grocery shops just for herself.
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Thursday Things

14 Liz December 6, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I want to be like the snowman. πŸ™‚
Liz recently posted..FD210 – Movie Night, Pizza, Popcorn & Quality Time

15 Sneakers2Sandals December 6, 2012 at 6:26 pm

that snow man makes me happy! i love that! hallow rocks are hard…and omg you used a hefty amount of weight for your first time with a new move, good job!
Sneakers2Sandals recently posted..….sprinting to the FINISH.