Wedding: One Month To Go

by Meghann on December 5, 2012

We’re almost there! This is my LAST official monthly countdown update until the big day – only one more month to go!

OneMonthToGo.jpg

Here’s what we’ve got…

Stuff currently “in the works”

• Something for the flower girl to carry <– we had one… then Fido ate it. πŸ™
  • Bridesmaids gifts <– 1/2 of the gifts are here, other 1/2 have been ordered!
  • Groomsmen gifts (tie + ?)
  • Ceremony script <– working on this
  • Decorations <– making progress
  • Chair rentals <– emailed venue w/ question before I order
  • Day-of timeline <– spoke w/ the photographer today and have a rough draft ready
  • Centerpieces <– we have an idea of what we want
  • Dessert bar <– cookies were ordered, working on asking friends/family for other contributions
  • Alcohol <– Dad and Uncle bought the majority of it yesterday. They had way too much fun with that particular responsibility. πŸ˜‰
  • Favor bags <– ordered the supplies!
  • Dress alterations < — dropped the dress off over Thanksgiving! First fitting should be next week.

And here’s what we still need:

• Program (chalkboard)
  • Creative seating chart
  • Table numbers (help – what should we do?!)
  • Navy shoes
  • Marriage license
  • Reserve shuttle service between hotel and wedding site
  • Purchase s’mores ingredients
  • Hotel welcome bags
  • Create sign for hot chocolate/s’mores station

Man, did those last 11 months fly by. Are we really only one month out? It doesn’t feel like it. Probably because we still have SO MUCH stuff to do! A lot of the big items are out of the way, but the tiny details are still there. I felt great about just about everything… until our walkthrough last Friday. It was then, when I was casually naming all of the things we need to do for “this” or “that” that it hit me how much work is still ahead of us.

Luckily I have an awesome team of supporters and helpers who have really stepped up and taken a lot of weight off of my shoulders. My aunt is AMAZING. There’s no way I could have done any of this without her. She is so creative, organized, and helping with so much. I owe her BIG time when all is said and done.

Derek has really stepped up, too. He was eager to help with any of the tasks that needed to be completed when we were in Titusville over Thanksgiving and has taken over some of the “non-creative tasks” as he puts it, like booking the shuttle or handling the RSVP list.

The “wedding room”, as it is now referred to at my parents’ house, is overflowing with wedding stuff. There are mason jars, burlap, snowflake lights, etc. etc. I can’t believe how much wedding “stuff” one can collect! What do we do with it when it’s all done? Sell it? Donate it to the venue? My parents already said they don’t plan to store any of it there. πŸ˜‰

We’re definitely down to the wire, but I have faith everything will come together on the day. And if it doesn’t? Who cares! I’m marrying the man of my dreams – that’s the important part anyway. πŸ™‚

Any last minute tips for a bride who is a month out?

1 Casey December 5, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I just got married in October, and I hate to be a cliche, but seriously—that stuff DOES NOT matter the day of! I barely saw our decorations that I had worked so hard on, but in the end, I just didn’t care. Not in a bad way—I’m just saying don’t stress about it (and it sounds like you have that attitude now anyway! :))

2 Meghann December 5, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I just spoke with my photographer and made sure she knew how important photos of “details” were to me, just in case I did miss everything – I wanted to look back at the photos of it all later. πŸ™‚

3 Hillary December 5, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Ok, so I have SIXTEEN months to go until my wedding, and reading this made me freak out a little bit. Holy crap, I have a lot to do!

4 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution December 5, 2012 at 1:40 pm

haha, me too! I was just commenting that 2 months ago I felt like I had all the time in the world, now I’m in full on panic mode!
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..WIAW: Healthy Snack Edition

5 Caitlin December 5, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I got engaged with 17 months to go and I’m now down to 5 and it went by SO FAST!!!

6 Kiera E December 5, 2012 at 1:26 pm

what about simple mile markers to pay a little homage to where Derek proposed to you? (and your love of running). nothing super fancy, just simple and able to blend in with the snowflake theme.
Kiera E recently posted..@x-opher

I present you with a Turkish Get-up. This video is,…

7 Merideth December 5, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I was thinking the same things…mile stones from FSU, Orlando, Tampa, and of course Races!

8 Amanda December 5, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I’m no bride, but I’ve seen pins on Pinterest of couples foregoing the seating charts and just putting up a chalkboard saying everyone is family now so guests can sit wherever they want. I kind of like that idea, but that’s just me!
Amanda recently posted..New Shoes

9 natalie @ will jog for food December 5, 2012 at 1:36 pm

My biggest tip is to remember to take it all in on your wedding day! Time goes by SO fast!
natalie @ will jog for food recently posted..Baby Needs BBQ

10 Em December 5, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I had friends use places that were special to them as table markers. They may have even had photos from each location framed with numbers photoshopped on them. An example for you could be FSU, Disney, Tampa, Orlando, etc.

11 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution December 5, 2012 at 1:39 pm

What about buying a bunch of frames from the dollar store, and just printing the table numbers on some pretty scrapbook paper that goes with your theme? It’s simple, would be easy to do, and would be pretty cheap. I’ve seen it done a lot and I think it looks great.

I hope you don’t mind, but you’ve inspired me to do once-monthly posts about wedding planning like this. I gave you credit in my initial post, but this is just such a great idea! I’ve been following these wedding update posts closely and it just seems like such a great way to check in each month to make sure you’re on task. Two months ago, I was all, “Pffft, I’ve got PLENTY of time, the wedding is still a year away!” — and now I’m like, 10 months is NOTHING!

12 Meghann December 5, 2012 at 1:56 pm

The monthly countdowns are great for keeping me in check. It helps to have a place every month to look back on and see how far I’ve come and how much I still have to do! You’ll be so happy you’re doing them the closer you get to the wedding! πŸ™‚

13 kirsten December 5, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Book yourself a massage a few days before the wedding! I had one about a week before my wedding and it made me feel so much better πŸ™‚

14 Meghann December 5, 2012 at 1:56 pm

LOVE this idea! πŸ™‚

15 Becky December 5, 2012 at 1:44 pm

We had a rustic November wedding and I made table numbers with Kraft colored cardstock and my cricut. Then my husband took a white birch branch and cut it into pieces with a slit on the top (as in the cut wood side…). Stuck the card in there and voila, table number. We also did clusters of mason jars and other old glass bottles with gerbera daisies for our centerpieces and it all blended well. Shout if a picture could help for inspiration! (Btw, this is the Becky who said hey at OUC…)

16 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution December 5, 2012 at 1:49 pm

This sounds like it was so pretty!!

17 Becky December 5, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Thank you! I think it was… Our photographers were awesome about getting detail shots. Sigh…I can’t believe it was a year who already!

18 Meghann December 5, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Hi Becky!! Thank you! That sounds like a great idea! Were you married in Orlando?

19 Becky December 5, 2012 at 2:46 pm

We were married at Dubsdread over in College Park. I wanted rustic and unique and I got dark wood beams wrapped in Christmas lights. Ahhh… Can I get married all over again?! Lol… Your location sounds amazing! I’m loving your updates because I get to live vicariously through your planning.

20 Meghann December 5, 2012 at 2:47 pm

My friend got married there! What a gorgeous location! That was one we looked at, but it would have been a tight fit for all the guests we wanted. Great location, though! πŸ™‚

21 Julie December 5, 2012 at 1:45 pm

So exciting! I’m glad to know the 10 months I have left will go quickly πŸ™‚
Julie recently posted..WIAW [What I Ate Wednesday]: 12.5.2012

22 Suzi the Kiwi December 5, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I know of a few people that have used photos of themselves holding up the table number as the table marker – you could print out the table numbers and cut into snowflakes, and then get cute photos of you guys holding them? E.g. like holding the number in front like you’re doing with the frame, or you being piggy backed and holding the number? Looks better than it sounds perhaps! And you don’t need a professional photographer, just grab a friend to take them!

23 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy December 5, 2012 at 3:15 pm

We have 15 cupcake towers still sitting in the back of our SUV, because my parents didn’t want them taking up space in their house anymore, and we don’t have room in our apartment! Let me know if you know a good site for selling wedding things :)!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..My Thoughts on Santa

24 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution December 6, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Recycled Bride and Ruffled both have classified areas! πŸ™‚
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..All I want for Christmas

25 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners December 5, 2012 at 3:26 pm

We are birders, so we did printouts of Audubon birds – we picked ones that were really important to us and then coordinated them to the tables that people were sitting at – i.e. we used a bird that my husband saw on his first bird walk when he was 11 and put that on the table where his family was sitting. for a bird that i work with and LOVE we used for the table with my co-workers, etc. We wrote a little blurb on each explaining why we picked it. We also coordinated each with a number so that people weren’t randomly walking around saying “hmm, where is the house wren table?”. The numbers just made it easier! Incidentally, our friends had fun with the bird names too – one table was long-tailed ducks and they would periodically start chanting “LTD! LTD!” as the night went on! It was very fun and festive! In short, I would def pick something that means a lot to you as a couple, then coordinate with a number to make it easier on your guests to find their place πŸ™‚
Kashi @ Cape Island Runners recently posted..Philadelphia Half Marathon Race Report – Tiff’s Story

26 maren December 5, 2012 at 4:23 pm

About the table numbers – I haven’t seen it anywhere before (what is somehow a plus, huh?) but wouldn’t it be nice if you guys could have table numbers that look like your start number for a race (the one you pin on your shirt. I lack the English word right now, sorry). I mean, as he proposed to you after a race, that would be cute! Instead of the name of the race, you can but your names under the number or the wedding date or something like this.
And then you can maybe pin it on a little pinboard that you put on the table.

Just an idea that came into my mind! (and thumbs up for your blog, by the way!)

27 Meghann December 5, 2012 at 4:37 pm

LOVE this idea!!

28 Stacy December 5, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Yay! We’re getting married exactly 7 months from today (Total engagement is 13.5 months)…it does goes fast!
Stacy recently posted..Welcoming December

29 Sarah December 5, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Isn’t your sister a teacher now? Could she use some of that decor for her classroom? I’m a teacher and I love decorating my room, but it really adds up sometimes, especially if you want to change with the seasons/holidays!

30 Cher @ Weddicted December 5, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Good thing you have a semi-open month! Our last month of wedding planning was pretty busy because of meetings with vendors, venue, bachelor/bachelorette parties, etc., etc. Good luck!
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Bridesmaid gifts: Kate Spade spotlight

31 Laurie December 5, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Our table numbers were photos of “us at age” 1, 2, 3 etc. We thought it would be a fun way for each of our families to “get to know” us before we’d met, and as a bonus it also turned out to be a cool icebreaker as people walked around looking at all the photos of us.

During dinner, our pastor’s little son came running up to my husband and all out of breath exclaimed “You did karate? I do karate! That’s SO COOL!” and then ran off again. Such a great memory of a detail we’d put some time and thought into!

32 Meghann December 5, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Cute idea!

33 Lynna December 5, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Try putting your leftovers on Craigslist or freecycle…you’d be amazed at what people will pick up.
Lynna recently posted..Oh, what a glorious day…

34 Kelsie December 5, 2012 at 8:40 pm

For table numbers – I just helped my friend and we scanned in pictures of her and her groom at ages 1, 2 so on and so forth.. and then photoshopped the number of the age they were on the picture… She bought double sided picture frames and stuck them in there. The whole process took less than 2 hours (minus having to collect the pictures, but she had her mom do that for her and his mom do that for him) and it was really fun!

I agree about craigslisting the extra stuff from the wedding. You should definitely be able to sell it.

35 Krystle December 5, 2012 at 9:11 pm

A cute and unique idea for table numbers would be to gather pictures of both of you at various ages, say at 1 years old, then say at 5 years old, then 8 years old and so on. Frame one picture of you and one of him at the same age, framed in a single matted frame and call that picture of you two at age 5: Table 5! Its fun for the guests to walk around to various table and see you two at different stages of your lives πŸ™‚

36 Melissa @TryingtoHeal December 6, 2012 at 10:51 am

My advice, even though I’ve never been a bride: make sure to take some time to breath. Just breath…. πŸ™‚
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Raptors

37 GM December 7, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Fido ate the cake topper…and…the flower girl heart????