more ยป" />

Sizzle

by Meghann on December 5, 2012

Derek and I broke out one of our wedding gifts for dinner tonight – the cast iron skillet!

THANK YOU Diana! ๐Ÿ˜‰

This is my first cast iron skillet and I’m excited to start cooking with it! Any awesome recipes out there? I grew up with my dad making extra crispy fried chicken in the skillet, but I’m sure there are healthier options too.

I kept it simple for my first night out with the cast iron skillet and made pork chops.

I got the pan nice and hot, then added the lightly seasoned pork chop to it. The sizzle was instant and gave the pork chops a nice crust. I cooked the chops for 10 minutes per side, then added some Strawberry Fig Preserves to mine in the last 5 minutes. (Derek wasn’t sure he would like it so I opted to leave it off his just in case it was a no-go)

The strawberry fig preserves were a nice sweet touch. The preserves were more figgy than strawberry and had a nice rich flavor to them – a little bit would have gone a long way! The pork chop was also kept juicy and tender. I was a fan.

On the side we made rutabaga fries with ketchup.

And green beans

Earlier I made some trail mix with mixed nuts and cinnamon cheerios.

And I had two chocolate covered strawberries for dessert (I’ll fill in more details on those tomorrow ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

I’m double checking that my phone is ON tonight so I don’t miss my alarm.

I’m also calling it an early night.

Good Night!

1 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 5, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I would love to try out a cast iron skillet! And that jam sounds perfect on a pork chop, good thinking.

2 TorontoRunner December 5, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Those chocolate covered strawberries..I need some in my life right now!!
TorontoRunner recently posted..Miles or Km?

3 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna December 6, 2012 at 12:13 am

those chocolate covered strawberries look amazing!

4 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner December 6, 2012 at 5:54 am

Cornbread is fabulous cooked in a cast iron skillet!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Food Gifting

5 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope December 6, 2012 at 7:05 am

I love the cast iron skillet! I’ve made deep dish pizza, a deep dish cookie, and the Pioneer Woman’s Skillet Apple cake. All of those turned out amazing! I have the recipes on my blog ๐Ÿ™‚
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Roasted Spiced Chickpeas!โ€ฆ

6 Jenny December 6, 2012 at 8:00 am

Blackened Salmon! It’s my favorite…coat a salmon filet with cajun seasoning and sear in the cast iron skillet for 3 minutes per side. Delicious!

7 Natalie @ Free Range Human December 6, 2012 at 9:29 am

Those strawberries look delicious! I make cornbread in a cast iron skillet and it’s really yummy!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Birthday Eats

8 Stephanie December 6, 2012 at 10:11 am

Isn’t it bad luck to use presents before the wedding?

9 adrianne (adiecakes) December 6, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I lovelovelove my cast iron pans!! (Yes, I have two!) I probably do the majority of my cooking in them, just because it’s so fun, and I feel like food tends to crisp up in a way it wouldn’t otherwise. Favorites include:

Fried eggs
Hash browns
Chicken tenders
Freezer-to-pan steak/pork chops (seriously – take a steak or pork chop out of the freezer and immediately throw into your super hot cast iron, sear on both sides, and then throw in the oven on 200* for 30-60 minutes depending on the thickness. It’s great for those days you forget to thaw your meat, which I often do!)

Seriously though, as long as it’s not like, pasta (and sometimes if it is pasta), it’s going in the cast iron!
adrianne (adiecakes) recently posted..purple potato knish

10 Meghann December 6, 2012 at 1:09 pm

thanks for the tips! ๐Ÿ™‚

11 alex December 6, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Don’t have one but have heard that its a must-have. What brand is yours and what size?

12 Meghann December 6, 2012 at 1:30 pm

It’s the Lodge Round Fry Pan, 10″

13 Samantha Mason December 6, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Pork is probably my favorite thing to cook in a cast iron skillet! Or steak. My mom got me one when I moved to LA 6 and a half years ago, and it still is one of my favorite things. I have probably cooked every kind of thing imaginable in mine (except eggs, actually). And I swear, it looks exactly the same. I think cast iron skillets just last forever. I really want a nice big cast iron pot now for soups.
Samantha Mason recently posted..My Magical Bridal Shower

14 Sarah December 6, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Was your pan pre-seasoned? This is why I haven’t bought a cast iron pan yet haha. The whole “seasoning” part throws me off.

15 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper December 6, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I would never think to use fruit preserves on a meat, but HELLO that sounds so good. Great idea!
Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper recently posted..Decemburpees

16 Oceanside Chiropractor December 30, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Those chocolate covered strawberries looks great. And that pork chop with jam looks delicious. But what does it taste like?