Welcome Back WOD

by Meghann on December 4, 2012

This was a beautiful sight this morning.

20121204_080533.jpg

After nearly two weeks away from CrossFit, I have to admit that I really missed it. I tried really hard to do some sort of strength training on the road last week, but it’s just so much easier to run when you’re traveling. That’s pretty much why I love running – all you need is a pair of running shoes and you can do it anywhere. Sure, you can do body weight moves anywhere too, but it’s not the same. I struggle with pushing myself when I’m strength training on my own, I need a coach or a team there pushing me to succeed, otherwise I take too long of breaks and flounder.

This morning was a great “welcome back” WOD since it was heavy on the running side. We warmed up with a 600 meter run and drills, then timed a 200 meter sprint. My shoes came untied halfway through (I’m the world’s laziest shoe tie-er, that always happened to me), but I still managed a 36.9 on the clock. A time to improve on for the future.

The main WOD was pretty straight forward.

• 600 meter run
  • 10 thrusters
  • 10 h.r. pushups (I think h.r. stood for hand release?)
  • AMRAP in 20 minutes (as many reps as possible)

The run was awesome. It’s my strength and I relish every step when I’m outside in the morning sunshine. The thrusters? Ugh.. not so much. It had been so long since I’d done one, that I almost forgot how to do them. I felt weak during warm-up and stuck with what I thought was a lighter weight, but that lighter weight felt like a million pounds during the WOD. It’s amazing how much weaker you are in a WOD when a long run portion is involved. I would have happily shed all the weight on the bar if I hadn’t clipped it all on before the start. Maybe that was the coach’s plan all along… clip the weight on so we wouldn’t be tempted to shed during the WOD? I pushed through, but it was a struggle.

The hand release push ups were new to me. Basically you bring the push up all the way to the ground and lift your hands up for a second once you’ve hit the bottom. Sounded and looked easy, but the extra effort of making the belly touch the ground was more work than I thought. This was definitely a burner.

By the time our 20 minutes were up, I had managed to complete 4 full rounds of the WOD, plus an extra 100 meter run (I was 100 meters in when time was called).

20121204_080231.jpg

I felt so good once the workout was over. Since I really don’t have any long races in the near future, I think I’m going to pick up CrossFit to 4 times a week in the last month before the wedding. We’ll see what happens with my travel schedule, but I really want to kick it up a notch before the new year.

Breakfast:

I’m falling into a new breakfast pattern of eggs and apple slices. A little bit of savory mixed with a little bit of sweet – love it. πŸ™‚

Something to make you laugh this morning:

CollegeHumor’s Favorite Funny Videos

Hilarious. Simply hilarious.

1 TorontoRunner December 4, 2012 at 10:27 am

hahahhahahahah the video! Thank you, Loved it!!

I think I need to try crossfit once in a my life.. hm!
TorontoRunner recently posted..A bit of redemption

2 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian December 4, 2012 at 10:33 am

I bought a crossfit Groupon deal a month ago and plan on going in the new year. Your posts about the workouts have me excited to try it and push myself. Also – that video is hilarious haha
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..Where Do I Go from Here?

3 Megan December 4, 2012 at 10:44 am

ahah hand release pushups are tough! we call them “dirty push-ups” at my gym!

4 NYC Fit GIrl December 4, 2012 at 10:50 am

Got to love CrossFit! Anything involving a hand stand push up is tough!
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..Prepping for the Week!

5 Jessica December 4, 2012 at 11:18 am

Just so you know: “This was a beautiful SIGHT.” Site = construction site, etc.

πŸ˜€ I love eggs and apples .. I eat both almost everyday.

6 Amanda December 4, 2012 at 11:30 am

Also, just so YOU know: “I eat both almost EVERY DAY.” You used the adjective form instead of the correct adverbial phrase that has a space between “every” and “day.”

7 Jessica December 4, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Thank you very much. I’m glad to know the difference.

8 Katie December 4, 2012 at 11:39 am

And just so everyone knows – the hand release pushups were new, not ‘knew’.

9 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer December 4, 2012 at 11:41 am

that is the funniest video ever. i’m totally guilty of like 90% of what they sang about.

thrusters are from hell. satan brought them here to torture us on earth. they rank up there with burpees and wallballs (wallballs and thrusters are like incest born cousins) i’m working on my push ups this month so hand release push ups are happening every day. ouch.
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..December Goals

10 Annette @FitnessPerks December 4, 2012 at 11:50 am

I love a mix of savory & sweet!

Pushups of any kind are tough πŸ™‚

11 Meghan @ After the Ivy League December 4, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Great workout! I’m thinking of starting CrossFit in January, seriously considering it. My roommate joined a box, but ended up not continuing because it was always too busy after work and getting up early in the morning wasn’t really an option. I need to search out other boxes and see what I can find!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Downtown Jingle 5K and Other Weekend Activities

12 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes December 4, 2012 at 1:11 pm

That video–bahahaha!! Yet it’s *so* accurate!
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..A New Long Bike Ride

13 Brian December 4, 2012 at 8:49 pm

The Crossfit looks like a tough workout. Keep up the good work!
Brian recently posted..Topwedding Ruched Deep V Neck Flowing Chiffon Bridal Gown, S2, Ivory

14 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper December 4, 2012 at 10:59 pm

HAHAHAHA. Oh that video. That is too good. Not gonna lie, that’s exactly why I DON’T use Instagram!
Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper recently posted..Decemburpees

15 Liz December 4, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I had a boyfriend once that told me, women did not know how to tie shoes. I almost believe him because my shoes always come untied unless I double tie theme.

16 Emily N December 5, 2012 at 3:35 pm