Wedding: Skipping Christmas

by Meghann on December 4, 2012

We’re skipping Christmas this year.

Well… we’re not skipping the Christmas spirit, just some of the other stuff. πŸ˜‰

I’ve always known I wanted a January wedding. My college roommate planted the idea of a snowflake themed wedding in my head back in college and it sort of stuck there. When Derek proposed last January, it was perfect. We could book our wedding for the following January and still have a year to plan it, win-win.

We decided on January 5th because we wanted the first Saturday of the New Year. Derek’s office generally closes down for the week between Christmas Eve and New Years, so he could help with wedding stuff and not have to worry about taking off an insane amount of PTO in the process.

When we picked the date, Christmas was the furthest thing from our minds. I honestly never gave it much thought until the holiday started creeping up on us. Usually I can’t wait for the Christmas season to start. I’m one of those annoying Christmas music lovers who starts listening to music on November 1st and puts her tree up the second Thanksgiving is over. I have a huge fake tree, embroidered stockings, and a collection of ornaments I’ve been collecting since I was a little girl. I love Christmas and I love celebrating the season.

However, this year the holiday is taking a backseat. I already saw this starting to happen over Thanksgiving break. Instead of picking out a tree with my family or helping my mom decorate as I normally do, I was up to my eyeballs in wedding tasks. I had to drop my dress off at the seamstress, order cookies, book a shuttle, and go over center pieces and ceremony scripts with my aunt.

Derek and I were debating after Thanksgiving whether we would put any Christmas decorations up this year, and as soon as I walked in the door yesterday, I knew the answer. The house was a mess – full of wedding stuff and Ikea boxes of furniture we still need to put together – and the last thing either of us wanted to think about was heading up to the attic to take the Christmas tree down. Instead of messing with decorations, we tag teamed organizing the bridal shower gifts and reviewing our RSVPs. It was then that we both realized if we did put a Christmas tree up we would be the only ones enjoying it. As we have no plans for guests in the next few weeks, and we’re okay not looking at one, we agreed we’d rather concentrate on wedding stuff and not take on any added stress of putting decorations up now or taking them down later.

So this year we’re skipping Christmas. We still plan to celebrate Christmas with both of our families and enjoy the season, but we’ve decided to skip the usual decorations, Christmas cards, and a couple of other family traditions. We’re also keeping the gifts on the smaller side.

Next year, I can’t wait to strike back with a vengeance for our first Christmas as husband and wife. We’re hoping to start a few new traditions of our own (like tossing the fake tree and getting a REAL one πŸ™‚ ), but until then we’re okay going the super-casual route this year. πŸ™‚

Were you married around the holidays? Did you still decorate?

1 natalie @ will jog for food December 4, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I’ve been married for 2 years and still don’t decorate! haha! But next year when we have the baby we definitely will.
natalie @ will jog for food recently posted..Week 22 – Where are the Cravings?

2 Meghan R December 4, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I got married in January as well and we had the same dilemma. Finally we decided on a smaller tree (instead of the usual 10′ one we would put up) and stopped at that. We didn’t want to worry about taking down on the Christmas stuff right before the wedding. Next year will just be bigger and better πŸ™‚

3 meghan December 4, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I would have absolutely done exactly what you’re doing. The time right before the wedding is madness, and the thought of trying to coordinate all the holiday decor and wedding plans would have been too much for me. And you can definitely make up for it next year! We’re loving having our first married Christmas and bought our first real tree!
meghan recently posted..Staying on the ball…

4 Rachel December 4, 2012 at 2:57 pm

next christmas for you guys will be so much fun! i’ve never sent out christmas cards and since we just got married in october i took a picture we had made and had a bunch of cards made up on vista print (awesome). and even though i’ve always been festive – i think now that i’m married i feel like starting new traditions and being even more festive – i have 3 trees up right now and am ready to put my 4th up. we even went and got a real tree this year – starting your own traditions as a married couple is so exciting!
Rachel recently posted..knitting night in

5 Rachel Wilkerson December 4, 2012 at 3:34 pm

We’re getting married in February (’14) and I’ve been wondering about this! I was thinking more about how if we go home for the holidays next year, it seems like our last opportunity to have our families help us with wedding tasks or to do things like dress fittings (for me), but how that also might be stressful! I’m guessing we’ll have to decide if traveling will help more or just be a hassle, and we’ll cut back on all the holiday stuff like you have (though I think we’ll still have a tree) in an effort to save money and stay sane!
Rachel Wilkerson recently posted..Foodstuffs: Dec. 1 – Dec. 8

6 Mo December 4, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Every year is different for us when it comes to decorating. Some years we go all out, and others we don’t even put up a tree. It all depends on how we are feeling…we don’t want to be stressed out during the holidays.
Mo recently posted..It’s Monday

7 [email protected] December 4, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Keeping Christmas to the bare minimum will be well worth it, once that wedding rolls around. πŸ˜‰
[email protected] recently posted..The Happiness Project {a book review}

8 Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength December 4, 2012 at 4:15 pm

YES! Get the real tree!! πŸ™‚
Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength recently posted..Sprints and Makeup for Active Women {Giveaway}

9 Nicole @ HealthyGirlAdventures December 4, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Christmas comes around every year but you only get married once. Just think of next year’s Christmas- you can celebrate Christmas as husband and wife and then right after that have your 1st wedding anniv. The holidays will make it so much more magical.

These past couple of years I haven’t been able to decorate. I yearn for a Christmas tree (real or fake) but I don’t have the money for it. Well I guess I could but by the time I bought the decorations and light I’d be broke! I’d rather save my m oney for other things. I hope one year I can get a Christmas tree. Even though I don’t have a tree I have been collection ornaments here and there. I display them along w/ a Mickey and Minnie snowmen that my boyfriend and I bought at Disney last year on Christmas Eve.

BTW, I LOVE your idea of a winter wedding. I saw snow for the first time this year I have become a snow monster. I’m in love with the magic of it all. I told my boyfriend if and when we get married I want to do it Tennessee where it snows. πŸ™‚
Nicole @ HealthyGirlAdventures recently posted..The 2012 Winter Weight-loss Challenge is Here!

10 Heather December 4, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Honestly, whatever keeps you sane is the most important thing right now. I love Christmas and we actually had a Christmas theme wedding. We got married Dec 13.

While it was crazy leading up to the wedding and the travel for our honeymoon after, coming home from Jamaica on Dec. 23 to a house that was both clean and decorated for the holiday was amazing. I would have been really sad if we didn’t have a tree for our first christmas as husband and wife, but you won’t be there yet.

If you are going to be home, it might be worth putting out a couple of small decorations.
Heather recently posted..Stepping Bravely into 2007

11 BroccoliHut December 4, 2012 at 4:29 pm

We got married about a month ago, and we’re celebrating Christmas in full force. I am using Christmas as a way to distract myself from the post-wedding blues!
I can totally understand why you might want a low-key Christmas this year though–you only get married once, but you can celebrate Christmas every year!

12 Baylee December 4, 2012 at 4:39 pm

My parents actually got married on December 18th. It was perfect because the church that they got married in was already decorated for Christmas, and it matches the wedding colors perfectly so they didn’t have to spend any extras on decorations. I was 3 when my parents got married, so naturally, I was bombarded with Christmas decorations, trees and gifts by both my parents and other family

13 Kelley December 4, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I am getting married one week after you (January 12, can’t believe it!) and we too are skipping Christmas. We may go even further than you because funds are tights and are in the process of buying a house! But it will help us to appreciate it that much more next year πŸ™‚

14 Abbey December 4, 2012 at 5:19 pm

We decorated the Christmas before our wedding, but I was married on Jan 24th so we had a bit more time between the two. This year we are in the process of getting our house ready to sell by the end of the month so we have also decided to forgo the tree and all the decorating. That time is better spent getting ready to move πŸ™‚

15 Amands December 4, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I got married on november 3 and think that this is a wonderful idea. Anything that you can do to keep yourself sane is the best decision! There will be many more Christmases to come!

16 CaitlinHTP December 4, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I got married on 1-3-2009 and I also skipped Christmas. πŸ™‚
CaitlinHTP recently posted..Operation Beautiful: One Note at a Time

17 Brit December 4, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Maddie’s EARS! Oh my god. Oh my GOD. So cute.
That is all πŸ™‚
Brit recently posted..Joyful

18 Steph @321delish December 4, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Since I’m moving at the end of the month, I thought about skipping it too. But I love the holiday and spotted the cutest tree at the farmers market, I couldn’t resist!!
Steph @321delish recently posted..Tough Mudder Tampa

19 Angie @ Losing It and Loving It December 4, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Sounds like a good plan although I wouldn’t be able to not have a tree up. We actually bought a pre-lit one last week and it’s so cool, much less time involved.

We got married New Year’s Eve (can’t believe it will be 16 years WOW) but I still decorated where I lived at the time.
Angie @ Losing It and Loving It recently posted..Are You Fizzling Out?

20 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper December 4, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Very understandable….though I don’t think I could ever skip Christmas, even for my own wedding! I’m way too much of a Christmas nerd haha πŸ˜€
Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper recently posted..Decemburpees

21 Liz December 4, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I love Christmas decorating, but not the shopping. I also love to play the Christmas music and drive everyone crazy. Next you guys will be able to start your own new Christmas traditions together. That is so nice. πŸ™‚
Liz recently posted..FD208 – Superman Sighting in Bali…I Saw Him…Really!

22 Army Amy* December 5, 2012 at 6:03 am

I am not a huge fan of decorating in general. Don’t get me wrong – I love decorations, I just don’t like putting them out. It sort of feels like you are just putting out a mess that you’ll clean up a month later. And I’m too lazy for that. So I don’t blame you at all for not going all out this year. Hopefully you’ll find other ways to get in the holiday spirit sans decorating.*

23 Melissa @TryingtoHeal December 5, 2012 at 11:44 am

I can understand you deciding not to do Christmas with all the stuff that’s going on! Totally acceptable. Or if you wanted, you know, you could do Christmas in June! LOL
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Raptors

24 Heather December 5, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I got married on 12/28/2012 after having finals my senior year of college through about 12/13/2012. Family started to come in for the wedding on the 20th of December. I was a basket case. I put up the tree over Thanksgiving but it didn’t come down until February. I think we just put up the tree and the Christmas throw blankets on the couch that year. We were rarely in our apartment from the 20th until we got back from our honeymoon on the 7th of January. I couldn’t imagine not having anything festive in the house but I honestly think something simple of just my throws would have made me happy.

25 Hemarie @ I Sweat Pretty December 5, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I totally feel ya on this one. My fiance and I got engaged in September and are getting married at the end of this upcoming January. With such a short amount of time and a limited budget, we decided to cut gifts out this year. This is really hard because giving gifts is always one of my favorite parts of the holiday!

To still be able to “give” this season, we’ve made sure to carve out some time from our crazy schedules to give back to the community with some volunteer projects. I hope to continue this through the years, even when we are able to give gifts again!

I hope you enjoy your last Christmas together as “boyfriend and girlfriend”! πŸ™‚
Hemarie @ I Sweat Pretty recently posted..Ready to Run