Holiday Running Playlist

by Meghann on December 4, 2012

Every November and December I go a little crazy with holiday music. From November 1st on, my car radio is permanently tuned to the 24/7 holiday station and the iTunes on my computer is set to the “Christmas” genre, where it stays until December 26th. I may not be putting a tree for Christmas this year, but you better believe I’ve already loaded up my iPod with my favorite holiday tunes. #obsessed

Please tell me I’m not alone on this. Where are all the holiday music lovers out there?!

The holiday music doesn’t stop in the car or at home, there’s something to be said to rocking out to it on a run, too. Not all holiday music is run worthy, but there are a few good songs out there. With a little help from my Facebook friends, I was able to compile a little Holiday Running Playlist for 2012.

Holiday Running Playlist.jpg

Do you have any songs to add to this list?

Oh, and I have the PERFECT race to test my new playlist out at.

Screen shot 2012-12-04 at 3.23.13 PM.png

I just registered for Santa’s Twilight 5k this morning. It’s a local holiday race that a few friends and I plan on running. The race takes place on Honeymoon Island, which is home to the dog beach I’m always taking Maddie to and is one of my favorite hidden spots in the Tampa Bay area. It’ll more than likely going to be a heavy beach run (aka lots of running in sand), so this will be more for fun than anything else.

Maybe we’ll even dress up like we did for the Jingle Bell run last year.

I love a costume race!

Or…. since it is a beach run, perhaps we can talk the boys into a little Santa Speedo Dash?

santa-speedo-run.jpg

(source)

I mean, it will be a beach run after all. 😉

The Santa’s Twilight 5k will be my last official race of 2012, or really my last official race as a single girl. I have no idea what’s in store for 2013 (minus that full ironman I registered for ), but I will say I’m happy with the way 2012 turned out. I worked hard and set new PRs for both my half marathon and full marathon times, finished my second half ironman, completed my first overnight Ragnar Relay race, and ended the year injury free – life is good. 🙂

Do you have any more races lined up for 2012? Running any holiday races?

Today’s lunch was a little of this and a little of that.

Green beans, hummus, 1/2 a bagel, apple slices, almond butter, carrot sticks, and cheese.

Random, but tasty. 🙂

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life December 4, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Love how the playlist turned out!! 😀
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Tune in Tuesday: MOAR MARATHON MUSINGS

2 Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food December 4, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Love the playlist! “What Christmas Means To Me” is my favorite Christmas song ever! So energetic!!
Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food recently posted..Fiber Fun

3 Maureen December 4, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Britney Spears’ “My Only Wish This Year” always goes on my holiday workout playlist. It’s such a cheesy song but it’s one of my favorites. I also like Straight No Chaser’s rendition of “The Twelve Days of Christmas.”
Maureen recently posted..Starting Out on the Right Foot

4 Casey December 4, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I just got on here to comment on “My Only Wish This Year”. 🙂 It’s my absolute fave Christmas song!

5 Annette @FitnessPerks December 4, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Great playlist! I actually love O Holy Night. Not really a running song, but still. LOVE it.
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Les Mills GRIT Series Training Recap

6 Casey December 4, 2012 at 5:13 pm

You have to had Christmas Sarajevo by Trans-Siberian Orchestra, it’s actually on my running playlist all year long!

7 Kathy December 4, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Man I need to eat more of your kind of lunch….I made cookies over the weekend and unfortunately have eaten too many already. ;-(

8 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin December 4, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I am the same way! Obsessed with Christmas everything, especially music. Thanks for reminding me to create a good Christmas playlist for my run later 🙂

9 Samantha December 4, 2012 at 5:21 pm
10 TorontoRunner December 4, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I am ALWAYS looking for new music. Thank you for this!

I’ve got an obsession with N sync’s Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays!
TorontoRunner recently posted..A bit of redemption

11 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 4, 2012 at 6:43 pm

No holiday races for me (or races at all… IT band injury) but I did the Santa Hustle here in Chicago last year and had a blast! They gave everyone santa shirts, hats and beards to wear to the race and handed out candy along the course!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..The Sweet Life In Paris–Book Review

12 sally kate December 4, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I’m doing an ugly sweater race this weekend and I’M SO PUMPED!! There is going to be HOT CHOCOLATE at aid stations… enough said.

13 [email protected] December 4, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Little jealous twinge at your fun Christmas 5k! Honeymoon Island is a great spot!
[email protected] recently posted..Along For the Ride….And For the Show

14 Stephanie @ Steph's Miles December 4, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Such a good holiday mix! I think this is an awesome way to celebrate the season even though you are ‘skipping Christmas.’
Stephanie @ Steph’s Miles recently posted..Joe’s Crab Shack

15 abbi December 4, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Ohh…I totally need to do this…I used to have a huge holiday playlist. I need to dig that out, one I’ll be adding is Dido-Christmas Day
abbi recently posted..November Recap

16 Jennifer December 4, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses

17 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 4, 2012 at 8:25 pm

First of all, I LOVE that you have a Hanson Christmas song on this playlist. 🙂 Second, there’s a really good Neon Trees holiday song (forgetting what it’s called right now) that came on my phone during my run the other day and it was awesome!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Enthusiast Gift List

18 Steph @321delish December 4, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Can we do Costumes?!? Can we? Can we? 😉
Steph @321delish recently posted..Tough Mudder Tampa

19 Meghann December 4, 2012 at 10:04 pm

20 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 4, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Cannot go wrong with some Mariah Carey Christmas :-p Although I would add Trans Siberian Orchestra’s version of “Carole of the Bells”! My favourite Christmas song ever.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..freEDom: Enjoying Christmas For All It’s Worth.

21 Clare @ Fitting It All In December 4, 2012 at 10:18 pm

will be using this for my half this weekend!!

22 Bunmi December 4, 2012 at 10:49 pm

My holiday spirit only exists the on Christmas and its eve…but i do love random meals and that one looks great!!
Bunmi recently posted..I can relate….

23 ct cupcake December 4, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I love running to Christmas music! Oh Santa by Mariah Carey is a great one as is Christmas Can Can by Straight No Chaser.
ct cupcake recently posted..Pin for the Win!

24 Liz December 5, 2012 at 4:27 am

Running on Honeymoon Island is very appropriate for the bride to be. 🙂
Liz recently posted..FD208 – Superman Sighting in Bali…I Saw Him…Really!

25 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats December 5, 2012 at 7:21 am

I love running to holiday music and I did a post last week about Christmas workout tunes (http://runnergirleats.com/2012/11/26/holiday-themed-workout-music/). Check it out! I did a Jingle Bell Run last weekend and have a Tannenbaum 6k next weekend. Love themed races!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Peanut Butter Puffins

26 Natalie @ Free Range Human December 5, 2012 at 7:29 am

You must put a version of Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas on your list! Might I suggest the one by James Taylor?

27 Meghan @ After the Ivy League December 5, 2012 at 10:06 am

I never thought to go running to holiday music..but that looks like a pretty upbeat collection! I should give it a try. I love the holiday season too, I’ve been listening to Christmas music at work for quite awhile now!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..WIAW #14: Brinner

28 Rachel December 5, 2012 at 10:50 am

i love the glee christmas album – i could run to the whole thing. i love the grinch song too.

looking for a christmas race now – but i really would like to try the hangover classic 10 mile – done bright and early new years day!
Rachel recently posted..knitting night in

29 Emily N December 5, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I would saying running-wise, you had a HECK of a year! Congrats!
Emily N recently posted..First Night in Vegas – Pre-race

30 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners December 5, 2012 at 3:40 pm

nice list! i would also add barenaked ladies/sarah mclachlan “god rest ye merry gentlemen” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGVNzgUxE-g

and it is not great for working out (cooldown maybe?) i love sarah bareilles and ingrid michaelson’s “winter song”- and esp the super sweet video! it’s not christmasy per se and is a lil melancholy, but i love it this time of the year just the same! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67xr_KKPTHE
Kashi @ Cape Island Runners recently posted..Philadelphia Half Marathon Race Report – Tiff’s Story

31 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners December 5, 2012 at 3:43 pm

sorry, wrong link for winter song! this is the one i meant!

32 Kelly December 9, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Ahh so glad to see “Merry Christmas From the Family” on the list! I thought maybe I was the only one in the world that liked that song! 🙂
Kelly recently posted..Chicago via iPhone 12/9/12