A Shower Of Snowflakes

by Meghann on December 3, 2012

Please excuse me as I continue to gush over my beautiful and talented bridesmaids. Not only were they out late partying the night before with me, but they woke up super early the next morning and hightailed it back to my parents’ house to throw the cutest snowflake-themed bridal shower of all times. I could not ask for a better group of girls in my life. They worked hard putting this weekend together and I’m honored to call each of them one of my best friends.

Thank you Ashley, Ashley, and Kelly (we missed you Emily!) for everything. Thank you for the weekend, thank you for being my friend, and thank you for always being there for me. I love you girls! πŸ™‚

My little brother was on Meghann-sitting duty all morning. We were kicked out of the house at 10:00am and given strict instructions not to return until after 1:00. We took the dogs to the dog park, ate amazing greasy tacos, and swung by a Merle Norman so I could have my make-up done (Ben was a champ and didn’t complain once during the 45 minute make-up tutorial). At 1:00pm, I headed straight upstairs to finish my hair and get dressed as the girls put all the finishing touches on the decorations downstairs (I wasn’t even allowed to peek!).

Finally, just before 2:00pm, the girls told me they were ready for the big reveal. (eekkk!!) I headed downstairs and squealed with excitement as I entered my parents’ back room and saw all of their beautiful hard work on display for the first time.

The room was incredible. Really, really, really incredible. Ashley and Kelly took the “rustic snowflake” theme of the wedding and ran with it. There were mason jars, baby’s breath, burlap, and just the right touches of snowflakes and blue. I couldn’t have dreamed of anything more perfect for the shower. They nailed it.

I loved the DIY touches that made up the room. Each girl proudly boosted which projects they helped with and how they came to be.

The old-fashioned “milk bottles” were actually Starbucks Frappuccino bottles that they cleaned and hand painted with personal messages of love. Every bottle was different and original.

IMG_4433.JPG IMG_4430.jpg

The balls of twine were a Pinterest-inspired project that involved soaking twine (yarn?) in glue then wrapping it around a balloon and letting it set until it dried. The mason jars were done up with lace, burlap, and anything else my cousin could get her hands on to dress them up.

For favors, snowflake ornaments were laid out for the guests.

The windows were given just a touch of frost so the guests could temporarily forget it was 80 degrees outside and instead make them believer they were in a cozy, snowy cottage up north.

IMG_4431.JPG IMG_4447.JPG

Refreshments were made up of mimosa, iced tea, and sparkling water.

And the food – oh! the food! – was a delicious breakfast-inspired spread (my sister knows breakfast is my favorite meal of the day πŸ˜‰ ).

IMG_4456.JPG IMG_4457.JPG

The menu:

• yogurt trifle with fresh berries, angel food cake, granola, and vanilla yogurt (OMG! This was GOOD – went back for 3rds!)
  • pumpkin french toast
  • bagels with cream cheese
  • cinnamon danish
  • fresh grapes
  • build-your-own waffle bar with fresh berries and syrup

IMG_4452.jpg IMG_4453.JPG

Again, I can’t say enough amazing things about the beautiful job my sister and sister-in-law did planning the decorations or that everyone else did in assisting the bridal shower make-over of the back room. Everything was beyond perfect in so many ways. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I spent a good 10 minutes admiring the space (p.s. a big thanks to everyone who grabbed my camera during the party for photos), then began greeting guests as they arrived. My bridesmaids gave a welcome speech and it was time to eat!

My plate (+ LOTS more trifle!). Everything was delicious and exactly what this carb-lovin’ girl needed.

After we finished up with food, it was time for games! First up was a classic: Toilet Paper Wedding Dresses!

The room was divided into groups of 3 or 4 and each group was instructed to make a wedding dress of toilet paper (bonus points for creativity!).

IMG_4478.jpg IMG_4479.jpg

IMG_4492.jpg IMG_4490.jpg

While the teams worked on the wedding dresses, I started on the flower girls in the room.

IMG_4497.jpg IMG_4498.jpg

Lexi was not impressed.

The groups had 10 minutes to work on their dresses, then it was time for the big reveal. Weren’t all the “brides” fabulous?!

We had a runway “walk-off.”

The flower girls went first, but I’m not sure Fido was a fan of their makeshift dresses.

IMG_4521.jpg IMG_4522.jpg

Work it Bella, work it.

IMG_4513.jpg IMG_4514.jpg

Alright, time for the brides.

Dun Dun DaDannnn (or however the wedding march goes?)

IMG_4526.jpg IMG_4527.jpg

IMG_4538.jpg IMG_4530.jpg

IMG_4534.jpg IMG_4535.jpg IMG_4536.jpg

Hilarious. πŸ™‚

My sister handed out “Bridal Shower Bingo” cards to play during presents. The guests filled in the card with what gifts they thought I would open, then check them off as I opened them. The first person with a Bingo! wins.

Present time!

IMG_4556.jpg IMG_4550.jpg

My mom had “Just Married” magnets made for mine and Derek’s getaway car. She blew up a photo from our engagement session and photoshopped “Just Married! Derek + Meghann January 5th, 2013” on top. Such a cute idea!

IMG_4582.JPG IMG_4584.jpg

There’s a beautiful wooden bench at our wedding site that my aunt and I have been looking for an old quilt to drape the bench with. We haven’t had much luck finding anything that worked…. until I opened the gift from an old family friend, Diana.

IMG_4588.jpg IMG_4589.jpg IMG_4590.jpg

Diana didn’t even know we were looking for a quilt. She said she was walking the aisles at Hobby Lobby and saw a snowflake pattern that reminded her of my wedding invitations. It was perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. I love it for the wedding, I’ll love it in my home, and I love that Diana made it knowing how much we would love it too.

IMG_4594.jpg

When all was said and done, Derek and I had quite the haul of thoughtful gifts that we both can’t wait to enjoy at home. I also had a beautiful bouquet of ribbons and bows to walk down the aisle with at our rehearsal next month.

IMG_4601.jpg

It was a beautiful shower full of family, and friends.

Thank you to my wonderful bridesmaids for making this bride feel showered with love.

I can’t believe the shower is over! The next time I’ll see everyone together will be at the wedding in January!

A little more than a month to go!! πŸ™‚

1 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile December 3, 2012 at 11:03 am

You look gorgeous! So glad you had a wonderful shower πŸ˜€
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Marvelous Monday

2 Kristin December 3, 2012 at 11:15 am

Wow, you have great friends & family, everything looks amazing! Loved the frosted glass πŸ™‚ I love the magnet idea from your mom~ I hope we get to see close-ups of it later on!

3 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian December 3, 2012 at 11:16 am

You look so happy and beautiful! Congrats!
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..‘Tis the Season

4 NYC Fit GIrl December 3, 2012 at 11:25 am

Looks like a really nice time! Your bridesmaids did a great job!
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..Prepping for the Week!

5 Michelle December 3, 2012 at 11:25 am

You are lucky to have such a great group that put in so much effort for the shower. Looks like it was fun πŸ™‚
Michelle recently posted..14,100 Feet High

6 Jean December 3, 2012 at 11:28 am

It all looks gorgeous! I love your wedding theme (then again, I love all things cold/snow-related…).
Jean recently posted..250 Miles

7 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 3, 2012 at 11:33 am

What a beautiful and fun shower! πŸ™‚
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday // Alabama Shakes!

8 Mo December 3, 2012 at 11:52 am

Wow! Those girls outdid themselves….absolutely amazing!! I’m glad you had a great weekend!
Mo recently posted..It’s Monday

9 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 3, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Those decorations are gorgeous, they really put a lot of effort into your shower, they are some great bridesmaids!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..December Goals

10 Debbie B. December 3, 2012 at 12:35 pm

What a wonderful shower! They did great with all the planning and work. I love the idea of the breakfast theme and need to try that trifle.

11 Natalie @ Free Range Human December 3, 2012 at 12:36 pm

They really outdid themselves! The shower is beautiful!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Family Gives The Best Presents

12 Chelsea @ CardioandCocktails December 3, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Your friends and family must really love you because they went above and beyond! It looks like they did a great job of celebrating you and letting you know how much you mean to them. My bridesmaids have their work cut out for them now! I already have some ideas of how to use some of your table decorations for my own wedding festivities. Thanks for sharing!

13 Melissa @TryingtoHeal December 3, 2012 at 1:09 pm

What a great shower! I can’t believe it’s only a month until you get married! I can’t wait!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Raptors

14 Colleen December 3, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Love it! You can see there was tons of love put into the shower! Yikes on one month to go.

15 Jamie @ StudioEats December 3, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Wow, everything looks so beautiful!
Jamie @ StudioEats recently posted..2 Hours of Prep, Food for the Entire Week

16 Meghan @ After the Ivy League December 3, 2012 at 1:19 pm

What a beautiful shower!! I love all the DIY decorating, the chalkboard food labeling, so creative! Looks like such a blast πŸ™‚ Congrats!!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..The Happiness Project Book Review

17 Annette @FitnessPerks December 3, 2012 at 1:22 pm

WHat a gorgeous shower!! I LOVE the theme.

And those waffles look divine. Mmmmmm
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Special K Popcorn Chips + Girl’s Night In GIVEAWAY

18 TorontoRunner December 3, 2012 at 1:48 pm

oh my gosh, everything looks beautiful. You and all our ladies! Looks like a great time!
TorontoRunner recently posted..Dear legs: Toughen up!

19 Ashley December 3, 2012 at 2:26 pm

From the pictures it seems like they put together an awesome party for you! The rustic Snowflake idea looks soo good in practice. Congrats again!
Ashley recently posted..Garmin 410

20 Emily December 3, 2012 at 2:47 pm

GREAT pictures! What a beautiful day! πŸ™‚ I can’t get over that quilt … it’s amazing!
Emily recently posted..Monday Motivation // Why It SUCKS To Be Fat

21 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 3, 2012 at 2:55 pm

You look so gorgeous and happy! Definitely a beautiful shower.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Goal Talk–December.

22 Megan December 3, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Oh it’s so beautiful! What a wonderful shower!
Megan recently posted..Surf City: Week 9

23 Grace @ Grace Dishes December 3, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Love your bachelorette and shower recap! Everything looked so fun and festive. Great job to your bridesmaids on the decorations and food.

I love your hair and make-up. Getting glammed up is so fun!
Grace @ Grace Dishes recently posted..Keeping the flame alive.

24 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions December 3, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Wow, what a beautiful shower! If I ever get married, I think I’ll have your bridesmaids be mine so I can have such a nice shower, too πŸ˜‰
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Best Body Bootcamp Week 6: Reps on Reps on Reps

25 Steph @321delish December 3, 2012 at 5:54 pm

gorgeous! those girls are so creative!!!
Steph @321delish recently posted..Tough Mudder Tampa

26 Kristen December 3, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Great job bridesmaids! Love the breakfast themed food- omg could totally go for some waffles right now πŸ™‚ Looks like a breakfast themed dinner is in my future
Kristen recently posted..(Foot)Ballin’ at a Christmas party

27 natalie @ will jog for food December 3, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Great shower!

Love the Gator banner in the back πŸ˜‰
natalie @ will jog for food recently posted..Week 22 – Where Are the Cravings?

28 Meghann December 3, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Sigh. We didn’t notice it until we were done. Oh well. Go Noles! πŸ˜‰

29 Dione December 3, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Everything looked beautiful! But what I really want to know is how many ribbons did you break? πŸ˜‰

30 Meghann December 4, 2012 at 9:08 am

Three! πŸ™‚

31 The Many Thoughts of a Reader December 4, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Beautiful!

32 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper December 4, 2012 at 10:54 pm

A snowflake-themed shower is reason enough to have a winter wedding, in my opinion! This is so pretty!
Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper recently posted..Decemburpees

33 Liz December 5, 2012 at 12:32 am

That is so awesome. I love the toilet paper ghetto dresses. The decorations were simple and absolutely beautiful. πŸ™‚ I am excited for you. πŸ™‚
Liz recently posted..FD208 – Superman Sighting in Bali…I Saw Him…Really!