more ยป" />

Bachelorette Weekend

by Meghann on December 2, 2012

I’m back!

PC010067.JPG

Thank you for letting me take a little break from the blog to enjoy the weekend with my girls. I soaked up every moment I could with them and it was awesome. These girls are amazing and I’m so thankful to have all of them in my life.

PB300017.JPG

Our adventures started Friday when I picked the beautiful Ashley up from the airport in Orlando. We did a walk-through of the wedding venue, had lunch with my mom, then headed to Track Shack to pick up our bibs for the OUC half.

IMG_6273.jpg IMG_6271.jpg

We also stopped at Total Wine for some supplies for the weekend.

IMG_6277.jpg

(p.s. the Sam Adams Merry Mischief is fabulous)

We met up with Mary, Ashley, and Kelly for dinner at Mellow Mushroom. Mellow balls, bruschetta, and pizza were quickly devoured.

IMG_6279.JPG IMG_6280.JPG IMG_6281.JPG

Saturday morning Mary, Ashley, and I were up early for the OUC Half Marathon.

PC010006.JPG

When we selected December 1st as the weekend for the bachelorette festivities, my sister noticed the OUC Half happened to be the same weekend. The OUC Half is a great local race that’s reasonably priced ($45 for early registration), falls on a Saturday, and only 15 minutes from my sister’s house (where we were planning to stay Friday night). Saturday was also Ashley’s 29th birthday (!!) and what better way is there to ring in birthday than running 13.1 miles?! It was a race that was meant to be. :)

PC010004.JPG

Unfortunately my sister is currently recovering from an injury and had to sit the race out. We missed having her on the course with us. :)

In honor of the bachelorette weekend, the girls had an adorable “Runaway Bride” shirt made.

PC010041.jpg PC010040.jpg

I also wore a “bride to be” tiara and veil. I think most people noticed the tiara and veil before they read the shirt. I had a lot of “run princess, run” while on the course. ;)

Ashley and I had planned to run the race together with the mini goal of pacing her to a shiny new PR. Keep in mind, she had just the run the Philadelphia Marathon two weeks prior and wasn’t 100% sure it was going to happen. We both agreed that no matter what happened we would have fun and stick together through all 13.1 miles.

PC010005.jpg

We said good-bye to Mary at the start line and headed to the corrals with the 10:00 mile group. Despite waiting in an extra-long porta potty line (and almost missing the official start) we were able to make it into the corrals without a problem and had a nice clean start.

PC010010.JPG

I made the mistake of not turning my Garmin on until we were in the corrals and didn’t pick-up signal until about a quarter mile into the race. We were both so flustered at the start that neither of us had a chance to check the start clock when we went under. Basically we were running this race blind without a clear number of how far we had run or how long we had been running.

PC010017.JPG

Our goal was to start off slow with 10:00+ min/mi, then gradually speed up from there. We were right on pace for the first few miles with a sub-10:00 minute pace, but Ashley’s legs started to cramp up and she needed to slow down.

PC010025.JPG

I tried to take Ashley’s mind off of the race by talking her ear off. We talked about the wedding, I pointed out different landmarks around Orlando, we talked about the Philadelphia marathon, and we met a couple of readers (Hi Sarah and Becky!) along the way.

Ashley was amazing. She walked when she needed to, but made sure our walking breaks were never longer than 30 seconds at a time. She also kept a smile on her face. A new PR wasn’t in the cards for this race, but it’s somewhere out there in the future.

PC010027.JPG

The race itself was great. There wasn’t a ton of crowd support, but the spectators that were out there were loud, lively, and had hilarious signs. If you know the area, the OUC Half is a very spectator friendly course, we saw the same set of spectators a good 4 or 5 times at different points on the course.

PC010028.JPG

I also enjoyed the views. We ran by a total of 10 lakes and each one was beautiful, especially with the early morning sun reflecting in the water. The brick paths were gorgeous as well, but our legs weren’t as much of fans as our eyes were.

PC010030.JPG

The 13.1 miles really flew by. Before I knew it, we were circling back to downtown and starting our final loop around Lake Eola to the finish line.

PC010032.JPG

Ashley kept repeating “this is all I have left in my legs, I can’t go any faster.” I did the best I could to encourage her by making sure I didn’t say “we’re almost there” and instead broke the final half of a mile into parts. “Just two more rights and you’re at the finish.” “Do you see that stop light? We’re going to turn there and the finish line is right there.”

We made our final turn and could see the finish line in the distance. We also saw Mary on the right and gave a quick wave. Just as Mary was jogging out to run the last bit with us, Ashley takes off out of no where. She breaks out in a dead sprint to the finish. Ha! I guess the yearning of the race to be over outweighed how tired her legs were.

PC010033.JPG

Ashley and I finished the OUC Half in a little more than 2:19 – not bad for a girl her just ran a full marathon two weeks prior. Way to go Ashley!!!

PC010038.JPG

This race was just plain fun. I loved running with Ashley and I loved wearing the bridal get-up. I had a lot of “Don’t do it!” comments, but also a lot of congrats. It was a conversation starter that gave people a good giggle.

PC010043.JPG

Obligatory post-race jumping photos. ;)

PC010053.jpg PC010055.jpg

After the race, we headed straight to my FAVORITE brunch spot in Orlando (Briar Patch) for some grub.

I ordered the Blue Heaven Wheat and Fiber Pancakes (best. pancakes. ever.) with a side of two scrambled eggs.

20121201_110740.jpg

AAAAMMMAAAZZZINNGGGG

The girls surprised me with “Keep Calm and Say I Do” shirts (awesome motto) for our afternoon activities.

IMG_0010.jpg

First, we celebrated Ashley’s birthday with mini cupcakes from Sweet!

Twenty-nine and lookin’ fine!

IMG_4409.jpg IMG_4412.jpg

Then it was time for a little pampering.

PC010066.JPG

20121201_151327.jpg

Pretty toes.

PC010065.JPG

PC010067.JPG

A little afternoon pick me up

PC010070.JPG

The girls booked a hotel in downtown Orlando for our big night out. 7 girls, 2 bathrooms, and can you believe we all managed to all glam it up in less than an hour and a half? Ow! Ow!

252224_10102493485222473_384724163_n.jpg

(p.s. My sister wins for matron of honor of the year for trading dresses with me when there was a minor hiccup with the dress I was planning on wearing. Seriously. Best. Sister. Ever.)

When my sister asked what the theme should be for the evening, I told her “sexy.” I wanted everyone to dress up, look good, and feel good.

148182_10102493496564743_406411113_n.jpg

Unfortunately that’s the closest photo I have of a group shot from the night. I wish I had another, these girls were HOT!

It was an evening full of jello shots, penis straws, complimentary champagne, and amazing friends.

IMG_0016.jpg

I won’t share all of the evening’s secrets, but I will say that ordering a salad for dinner may not have been the smartest decision I’ve ever made and I truly have the best friends and family in the world.

So much fun. Even if I don’t remember all of it. ;)

I’m going to do a separate post for the bridal shower. Trust me, it deserves it. ;)

Good night!

1 Liz December 2, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I am so happy for you. That is awesome. I did not know that Orlando had so many running events and I live in the area. I can’t wait to join in if I ever come home for good. :)

2 Stephanie @ Steph's Miles December 2, 2012 at 10:50 pm

MMMM I love Mellow Mushroom! Looks like you had a blast! I get all emotional thinking of the fun to come when my friends and I have bachelorette festivities!

3 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale December 2, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I’m so glad you had such an amazing weekend, Meghann!!
And might I say that I think that the benefits your added toning pre-wedding Crossfit workouts are starting to show!! :D

4 Brittany @Berries and Barbells December 3, 2012 at 1:08 am

It sounds like you had an amazing weekend. I LOVE that you started the festivities off with a half marathon!!

5 TorontoRunner December 3, 2012 at 6:46 am

GREAT pictures!!
Love the purple dress, those cupcakes(oh em gee), and congrats on the 1/2! What an eventful weekend!

6 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 3, 2012 at 7:06 am

Hahahaha love it. Glad you had a great bachelorette party, and with such a great group of friends!!

7 Diane @ DixieJulep December 3, 2012 at 7:51 am

Congrats on finishing the half…and still having enough energy to party after! :)

I ran the half too and I agree that the spectators on the course were really awesome. Some of the funny homemade signs had me absolutely cracking up, and it was crazy to see some of the same people pop up so many times. Honestly, I think the people-watching is one of my favorite things about doing a race like this.

8 beka @ rebecca roams December 3, 2012 at 7:51 am

What a fun packed weekend! Congrats to Ashely, and you girls look great! I absolutely love the ‘Keep Calm and Say I Do’ shirts!

9 Beth @ 990 Square December 3, 2012 at 8:53 am

I ordered a salad before my bachelorette party. WORST IDEA EVER. Definitely was sick for about 24 hours afterwards!

10 Dori December 3, 2012 at 9:08 am

Whatever happened with your dress, you look great in Kelly’s. I’m glad it worked out. Also, I love drunk pics, that’s when the smiles are the most real. Looks like a really awesome weekend!

11 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper December 3, 2012 at 9:09 am

Oh boy, SO many awesome things in this post.
Half marathon: congrats!
Mellow Mushroom: SO JEALOUS. I’ve only had it once while visiting a friend in Virginia, because we don’t have any where I live!
Those pancakes: holy yum.
Your bridesmaid shirts: fannnnnntastic.

12 Michelle December 3, 2012 at 9:13 am

Aww man – if Paula and I hadn’t made that porta potty stop, we would have finished 30 seconds or so after you!!

Glad you had a great weekend full of fun and friends. I think it’s better to not remember all of your bachelorette party — but yeah, salad was probably not the best idea. Hee!

13 Elyse December 3, 2012 at 9:46 am

I’ve never comment before but just wanted to say I love your blog! And that I used to live in Winter Park and LOVED the Briar Patch. It made me all nostalgic to see it here today. Thanks for bringing back great memories. :-)

14 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats December 3, 2012 at 9:51 am

I think I stayed at the same hotel for my friends bachlorette party in January! It was perfect walking distance to all of the fun. I can’t believe your friends let you order salad though!

15 Gwen December 3, 2012 at 9:54 am

A bach weekend with your best girls is a right of passage these days! Glad you had a blast! We went to Orlando for my bach weekend two years ago and had SOOO much fun! Can’t believe your big day is a little over a month away! <3

16 Natalie @ Free Range Human December 3, 2012 at 10:01 am

Looks like a super fun weekend! So glad you had a blast!

17 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian December 3, 2012 at 10:11 am

I LOVE the idea of kicking off the bachelorette weekend with running a race! So fun! I’m glad you had a blast and were able to spend quality time with your girls – the wedding is coming up so fast!

18 Erica December 3, 2012 at 1:41 pm

SO fun! Great friends, good food and I LOVE that you did a race! You are just glowing with happiness.

19 Rachel Wilkerson December 3, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Starting with a race is such a fun idea! Glad you had such an amazing weekend!!

20 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 3, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Looks like a great weekend! Glad you had fun. :)

21 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes December 3, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Loved that you kicked off the festivities with a half-marathon! Once a runner, always a runner. :)

22 Casey December 3, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Ah! I work for Sam Adams and the merry mischief shout our made me quite excited. Looks like the weekend was a blast!

23 jane December 4, 2012 at 8:12 am

haha woops! sounds like a pizza was probably a better idea ;)

24 Charli December 4, 2012 at 1:05 pm

So I feel like a stalker, but I was at the Winter Park Christmas Parade and you walked past me (after reading this article it was apparently for the Briar Patch breakfast -which do rock!). I have to admit, I was a little bit star stuck :) I didnt want to bother you as you seemed to be on a mission (again, I now know why). But I thought to myself, “Holy Cow!” then grabbed my husbands arm, pointed at your back and launched into a whole speech about you. I love your blog and congratulations your bachelorette party sounded like fun!

25 Meghann December 4, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Wow! Such a small world! :) We were on a mission after the race for some pancakes and were a little thrown off by the craziness of the parade (didn’t know it was happening until we got there! ) Next time you should say hi! :)

26 Taylor December 4, 2012 at 4:14 pm

No, salads before any night out like that are never a good idea!! Something I’ve learned ;-) Looks like a fun time!!

27 Laura December 4, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Aww this weekend looks like so much fun!!! What a good balance of activities :). So sad about your dress!! I know you were excited to wear that one when you bought it! What was the snafu? Bad fit? I actually have my eye on the blue one and would love a heads up if there’s something wrong with it–old navy, right?

Also, love that your mom came!! So fun!! Was she okay with you carrying around fuzzy penis paraphernalia? Haha. That just makes me laugh the picture of y’all while you’re holding a penis thing!! I’d be too modest and embarrassed, but more power to you! Did she have fun!? Does she take shots and what not? If so, that’s awesome!!

28 Meghann December 4, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I tried on one size in the dress and it fit perfect everywhere but the shoulders, so I grabbed the next size up (not trying it on) thinking it would work. It didn’t. It was too big and did not work. I should have stuck with the smaller size. I still love the dress and would recommend it. :)

It would take a LOT to embarrass my mom. She was fine with the fuzzy penis and even drank from a penis straw! I’m honestly not sure if she took a jello shot – I think so? I’ve never had “traditional” parents. They were very young when they had us and sort of grew up with us. My mom is one of my best friends and had a blast at the party!

29 Laura December 5, 2012 at 8:43 pm

haha, that is awesome about your mom!!

your sister is also awesome for wearing the dress for you :) what a great MOH and best friend! you looked smokin!

30 ash bear December 6, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Yup, she took a jello shot :)

31 The Many Thoughts of a Reader December 4, 2012 at 10:37 pm