Running with the palm trees

by Meghann on November 28, 2012

I love South Florida in November/ December.

20121128_093806.jpg

In July or August? Eh. Not so much. But right now it’s perfect.

I’m currently outside soaking up the sun and light breeze as I type this. I wish I could stay outside forever, but I know this nice weather won’t last long. Give it a couple of more hours and it will be hot and extra sunny again but, for now, it’s perfect.

I escaped the hotel’s fitness center this morning and decided to take my run outside. I checked the map on my phone and found a straight and easy out-and-back path that would take me roughly 4 miles to complete. The “path” was a sidewalk next to a semi-busy road (not exactly scenic or particularly relaxing), but it was better than staying in one place on the treadmill back at the hotel.

20121128_072724.jpg

Palm trees! Everywhere!

Have I mentioned I’m running a half marathon this weekend? πŸ™‚

It’s part of my bachelorette weekend festivities (you know you’re a runner when you register to run a race the same weekend you plan to “cut loose” with your bridesmaids and BFFs πŸ˜‰ ), it’s also the same race I ran for my first half marathon in 2008 (the OUC Half Marathon!) and haven’t run since (not sure why, it’s a great local race). My plan for the race is the same as the Women’s Half Marathon – just have fun! My bridesmaid Ashley will be in town for the race and asked if I would pace her to a PR (sub-2:12). She recently set a killer PR at the Philadelphia Marathon a couple of weeks ago (SOOOO proud of her!) and I know she will rock this race too. At the very least, it’s just an excuse to spend two hours running with Ashley. Even if Ashley decides a PR isn’t in the cards for her that day and we spend the whole race walking, talking, and taking ridiculous photos – I know it will be a good time. πŸ™‚

I felt really good on my run this morning. My foot is all recovered from the Women’s Half Marathon and ready to tackle OUC on Saturday.

Last night’s hotel didn’t offer any complimentary breakfast options, so I showered after my run, packed up, and headed down the street to TooJays for breakfast.

20121128_080910.jpg

I’m not sure I’ve ever had TooJays for breakfast before, but it popped up on my breakfast search in Yelp and it wasn’t a bad drive from my hotel. I ordered the spinach and feta omelet with a side of fruit and wheat toast.

20121128_082907.jpg

The omelet was great. Heavy on the spinach, light on the feta – perfect. And the fruit was fresh, too. It wasn’t soggy at all and tasted as if it was fresh cut in the back and hadn’t been sitting around for hours (which is sadly what a side of fruit usually is when ordered at a restaurant). I felt full and satisfied at the end of the meal.

Did you know TooJays has free WiFi? I brought my laptop inside and was able to get a lot of work done while chowing down on my omelet. Loved it!

I’ll be in the Wellington/ Palm Beach Gardens area for my demos today. It’s BEAUTIFUL here! Paradise, truly.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

1 Dina November 28, 2012 at 11:24 am

I’m running the Orlando Half this weekend too. First time running that race but I’m sure it will be fun.

Glad your foot is feeling better!
Dina recently posted..Losing My Run

2 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin November 28, 2012 at 11:38 am

Wow you are running a race during your bachelorette weekend?! That’s awesome – I hope I have that motivation when I get married! Have fun πŸ™‚

3 Meghan @ After the Ivy League November 28, 2012 at 11:39 am

Good luck on the half marathon this weekend! So crazy that you can just be like bam, half marathon, why not? I’d have to train for weeks! I do have a fun Jingle Bell 5K this weekend that I’m excited about…me and my roommate are gonna throw on some santa hats and festive tights, should be a lot of fun!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..WIAW #13: Quick and Dirty

4 Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food November 28, 2012 at 11:46 am

It is so cold here already. An outside run is no longer an option. That omelet looks amazing! Happy bachelorette weekend!
Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food recently posted..Thanksgiving Recap

5 Hillary November 28, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Oh man, I love TooJay’s. My grandparents live in FL, and that’s always at the top of my list of places to have lunch when I’m there! Enjoy Palm Beach; that’s where my grandmother lived, and, like you said, it’s absolute paradise.

6 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 28, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Haha I can’t believe it will be too hot there to keep sitting outside, it’s about 33 right now in Chicago!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–School and PT

7 Ryane November 28, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Ooh, I was down there for work and (obviously) had to check out those WF locations. Coming from New England, they were both so tropical feeling, lol. Especially the Palm Gardens one… such a snazzy mall πŸ™‚

8 Annette @FitnessPerks November 28, 2012 at 1:03 pm

How fun that you’re doing a race during your bachelorette weekend! Great idea!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Recaps β€˜n’ Pictures + Winners

9 TorontoRunner November 28, 2012 at 1:17 pm

good luck on your half this weekend!

gosh, I look at these pretty pictures and I’m jealous!! all bundled up and cold here!
TorontoRunner recently posted..Am I ready to marathon??

10 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 28, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I think a bachelorette race is a great idea! Then you have an even better excuse to pig out on cake & cocktails after πŸ˜‰
Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper recently posted..A Pants-y Pick-Me-Up

11 Lindsay Margaret November 28, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I also ran a half the day of my bachelorette party (and shower for that matter). I ran with my sister, we wore matching outfits and had so much fun! It definitely meant I got tired kind of early that evening (I made it out until maybe midnight), so if you have time for a nap I would recommend it.
Lindsay Margaret recently posted..Race Report: Giving Thanks 5k

12 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats November 28, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I love that you are running a HM on your bachlorette weekend! Have fun and enjoy So Fla. Now through February really is the only time of year that it is tolerable lol
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Wish List Wednesday

13 Kathy November 28, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I love your blog more in Nov/Dec./Jan/Feb….it gives me a worldly view of weather rather than complaining of the cold in MN! πŸ˜‰

14 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 28, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Good luck at the half! It sounds like a ton of fun. I can’t imagine being somewhere where it’s so warm this time of year. I’m upset because we’re in the ’60s here. Bring on the cold!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Back Country Paradise

15 Hope November 28, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I’m running the OUC half this weekend, too! It’s my first half and I’m soooo nervous/soooo excited! Have fun with your bridesmaids! πŸ™‚

16 Fit Chick Britt November 28, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I had my Bachlorette weekend on memorial day weekend. We partied all weekend and then a handfull of us did sprint tri on Monday. It was fun, but so tiring- haha! Have great weekend of festivities πŸ™‚

17 Andrea November 28, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Hey! I thought about running the OUC half, but wasn’t sure. I’ve only run 1 half (Disney’s Wine & Dine) and I’m afraid I’d get bored during just a regular half. Is there anything to entertain you while running?
Andrea recently posted..Book Review and Giveaway!- Easy

18 Meghann November 29, 2012 at 2:18 pm

It’s a hometown race. There’s not a lot of entertainment, but it’s fun to have your family come out and support you. πŸ™‚

19 Nicole November 28, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Good luck on the half marathon! I’m trying to convince my bridesmaids to run a half with me as part of my bachelorette party, but so far they aren’t convinced. My wedding isn’t until September 2014 though, so I guess I have plenty of time to convince them how fun it would be πŸ™‚
Nicole recently posted..I’m back!

20 Beka @ rebecca roams November 29, 2012 at 7:39 pm

When I worked near TIA I used to go to Toojay’s at International Mall pretty frequently! Their grilled cheese is amazing. I usually get mine on challa with muenster cheese, bacon and tomato. SO GOOD!!!
Beka @ rebecca roams recently posted..#HOLIDAYADAY Photo Challenge

21 LizForADay November 30, 2012 at 7:22 am

I sure would love to be in Florida right now because it is darn cold here in Afghanistan. Sounds like a good outside run. I am afraid I will be in for the winter. I will be treadmilling it. πŸ™‚
LizForADay recently posted..FD204 – Daily Routines & Returning to Work Ain’t Easy

22 Caitlin December 2, 2012 at 12:29 pm

OMG I LOVE TOOJAY’S. I get Christmas night takeout from there when I visit Florida in December…can’t wait for it this year. Their turkey pastrami rocks my world. I go to the Palm Beach Gardens one too!
Caitlin recently posted..Fashion Black Friday 2012