more ยป" />

Wedding: A Quick Check-In

by Meghann on November 27, 2012

We had a very wedding-centric Thanksgiving holiday over the weekend. It was nice to have a couple of free days dedicated to wedding activities in my hometown, especially since both Derek and I have been pretty busy with travel, work, and redoing our bedroom lately.

As we get closer and closer to the wedding, all those wedding projects that we said we would come back to closer to the wedding are to the point where we really need to buckle down and make the final decisions. Here are a few items that we were able circle back around on this weekend.

Cake

Confession: besides asking my Uncle Bill and grandmother if they would make the cake for our wedding back in February, I hadn’t given the cake much thought (see more info on the cake HERE). Luckily, my uncle stayed on the ball and had a lot to discuss re: the cake when I saw him at Thanksgiving on Thursday. Together we were able to come up with a semi-plan for the cake (red velvet cake, cream color icing, snowflake cookie accents, etc) as well as the cake’s presentation (we’re doing two-18-inch cakes on separate cake stands) after our turkey dinner.

I showed him the cover of the latest issue of Southern Living for some inspiration.

SL cover.jpg

Isn’t that cute?

We plan to fill in the cake table with some of our family’s favorite desserts. I managed to ask my Aunt Carol if she would make her famous congo bars (she said yes ๐Ÿ™‚ ), but I still need to ask a few others or I’ll order whatever else we need.

Cookie Bar

This deserves its own post (there are a few DIY items I need to tackle first), but we will be doing a cookie bar for the wedding favors. I talked to a local bakery over the weekend about the cookies, which they will deliver fresh the morning of the wedding. My original plan was to make these ourselves, but it’s so much easier just to have the bakery do them (plus they taste soooo much better). And since my uncle is making our cake as part of his wedding gift (I offered to pay, but he wouldn’t have any of it) there’s a little wiggle room to splurge on the cookies.

cookie.jpg

We sample a cooke on Saturday – it met everyone’s approval. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Flowers

I’m calling in the order on Friday. My aunt gave me a final flower count on Sunday of what we’ll need and I plan to call the wholesale flower place with my mom on Friday to submit the final order (we’re going the DIY route with flowers). They should be ready to be picked up the Thursday before the wedding.

Just in case anyone was curious, here’s the final flower count:

• Anemones: 1 bunch
  • Babies Breath: 12 bunches
  • VF delphinium: 1 bunch
  • Hypericum: 8 bunches
  • Succulents (picking up from a local nursery)
  • Dusty Miller (also picking up from a local nursery)

Ceremony

Still working on this. We’ve asked my Uncle Andy to officiate the ceremony and were able to sit down and have a great chat with him on Sunday about what we envision for the ceremony. Right now we have a basic outline of what we’re doing, but still need to write the script.

Honeymoon

Booked! As of Monday, the honeymoon is all booked and paid for. We have our plane tickets, we have a reservation for an awesome (and highly recommended) all inclusive resort, and we have all other forms of transportation covered. It feels so good to have this off of our plate!

Alterations

I found a local seamstress through a friend on Facebook for my dress alterations. Saturday was the first time I put the dress on since April or May and my heart skipped a beat when I saw the dress out of its garment bag (it really is a pretty dress). Unfortunately I can’t say I had the same feeling when I put it on. It’s big on the hips and needs some help in the boob department (or maybe I’m the one that needs the help?). Once the seamstress pinned it, I began to see the same dress I saw when I first tried it on in the store. I got back for another fitting three more weeks. I can’t wait to see the dress once all the alterations are done!

Phew…

We had a lot to catch up on! And still so much more to do. The countdown is definitely on. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Lindsay Margaret November 27, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Congo bars (or squares as we call them) are totally a family tradition for us as well! Sounds like a great personal touch to have family recipes at your dessert table.
Lindsay Margaret recently posted..Race Report: Giving Thanks 5k

2 Samantha November 27, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I would love another post on the flowers with the info on how your aunt got to that final count! I love the idea of going the DIY route, but don’t have a florist in the family, so I would have no idea how many to order. I’m just a curious cat ๐Ÿ™‚

And I can’t wait to hear about your honeymoon destination!
Samantha recently posted..Disney Wine & Dine 2012 Half-Marathon Race Recap

3 Meghann November 27, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I’m trying to get her to write one, but she’s a pretty busy lady. I’ll keep asking. ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 27, 2012 at 4:50 pm

That’s great you could get so much done over Thanksgiving, and that you have such a helpful family! And I definitely think getting the bakery to make cookies is the best idea – you don’t want to be stressed about getting a bunch of cookies done right before your wedding!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Inspiring, Beautiful and Sunshine Awards!

5 Cecilia November 27, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Cookie Bar sounds amazing!
Cecilia recently posted..Race week.

6 Kimberly November 27, 2012 at 5:51 pm

That’s a great idea for the cookie buffet as favors! I am also getting married next year, in May and I was also thinking of doing my own flowers for the ceremony and centerpieces, but I don’t know where to store the final products! Are you planning to store the floral decorations in a large refrigerator or something? Thanks for your help!

7 Meghann November 27, 2012 at 10:25 pm

For my sister’s wedding, my aunt turned the AC low in her house and set up a spare room with a bunch of fans to keep the room extra cool. The bouquets and boutonnieres were stores in a regular ole spare fridge in the garage.

8 Merideth November 27, 2012 at 10:47 pm

You could always look into renting a portable AC unit to cool a particular room to a lower temperature.

9 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 27, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Love how involved your family is with your wedding! Definitely will make it more special ๐Ÿ™‚
Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper recently posted..A Pants-y Pick-Me-Up

10 ct cupcake November 27, 2012 at 10:03 pm

are those flower numbers for both the decor and the bouquets? It doesn’t seem like enough flowers.
ct cupcake recently posted..Giving Thanks

11 Meghann November 27, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Yep. We’re not using a lot of flowers for decor. The only flowers we are using for decor are babies breath.

12 Stephanie November 27, 2012 at 10:20 pm

That’s so great that all of your family is pitching in to help out with the wedding. Saves you some time and sanity!
Stephanie recently posted..Black Bean and Corn Salsa

13 Nicole November 27, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Just curious . . . . is there a reason you chose not to go with David’s Bridal for alterations? I’m picking my dress up this week and still don’t know what I should do about alterations. Thanks!

14 Meghann November 27, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Everyone I talked to told me not to go to David’s Bridal for alterations. I just sort of took their advice and found someone local. She had a lot of great recommendations and was super sweet. Since I bought my dress from a “big brand store” I feel good knowing I’m supporting a local person with my business for the alterations.

15 Melissa @TryingtoHeal November 28, 2012 at 11:05 am

Glad that trying on the dress got better as they pinned things back and such. that would be my biggest worry in getting a wedding dress!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Fall = Quick Breads