Dumbbell Love

by Meghann on November 27, 2012

Look what I found in the hotel fitness center this morning…

20121127_075612.jpg

weights!

Good ones, too.

I actually snuck a peek of the fitness center when I was checking in last night to see if there was anything worth while in there (it was right by the front desk and I was curious when I saw the sign). The hotel won major bonus points when, not only was there a full rack of dumbbells, but the treadmills had tvs attached to them (huge win with the TVs in my mind).

This morning I jumped on the treadmill first and turned on the local news for my 40 minute session. I tend to get really bored on the treadmill, so I usually like to mix it up. Here’s the workout I did:

• 1:00 – 5:00 fast walk @ 4.0
  • 26:00 – 27:00 @ 4.0
  • 27:00 – 29:00 @ 8.0
  • 29:00 – 31:00 @ 4.0
  • 31:00 – 33:00 @ 8.0
  • 33:00 – 35:00 @ 4.0
  • 35:00 – 36:00 @ 8.0
  • 36:00 – 40:00 @ 3.5 (cool down)

After I hopped off the treadmill, I grabbed some weights for a mini circuit.

• dumbbell swings x 12
  • dumbbell push press x 12
  • sit-ups x 12
  • lunges (each leg) x 12
  • Repeated 3 times

Felt good to sweat!

I probably could have pushed myself harder, but I’m really bad at doing workouts (especially strength training) on my own. One of the reasons I’ve been enjoying CrossFit is there’s a coach/ team there pushing you through the WODs. Without that push, I flounder. Still, I’m proud with the workout I did get in this morning and consider even getting one in a success in my mind!

I hit up the free breakfast bar for some eggs and paired them with apple slices and a scoop of almond butter from my room.

20121127_080427.jpg

A complete breakfast thanks to the Marriott and my purse. πŸ™‚

20121127_080440.jpg

Time to pack up and head out! It’s going to be another full day with two more stores on the agenda. πŸ™‚

What are your favorite grab-and-go breakfast items on the usual hotel breakfast spread? Do you add your own items to bulk the selections up?

1 Becky @ runfundone November 27, 2012 at 9:29 am

Favorite grab-and-grow breakfast item = banana!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Fit, But You Know It!

2 Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food November 27, 2012 at 9:32 am

It is so hard to find a hotel gym that has dumbbells! Score!
I usually stick with fruit and eggs too and yogurt if the have any.
Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food recently posted..Christmas Came Early

3 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 27, 2012 at 9:36 am

Dumbells in hotel gyms are so rare–awesome! When staying at a hotel, I usually go with eggs (if they look OK ;)) plus a piece of toast or some fruit. I’ve also had good luck with oatmeal.
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..I’m a FitFluential Ambassador!

4 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 27, 2012 at 9:36 am

*Dumbbells, whoops!

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 27, 2012 at 9:52 am

I’m glad they had dumbbells! That would drive me crazy to not have any, I’m not a huge bodyweight workout fan… And I don’t have a typical hotel breakfast that I choose because I rarely stay in a hotel! The last time was HLS and you all had great food for us, and I honestly can’t remember the last time before that! Haha probably June 2009 at my sorority’s national convention at Disney World!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Inspiring, Beautiful and Sunshine Awards!

6 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 27, 2012 at 10:11 am

I usually supplement hotel breakfasts, but, lately, I’ve noticed many hotels are doing a good job of having hot oatmeal. Love that!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Dear Santa

7 Amanda November 27, 2012 at 10:34 am

I stayed at a hotel once that had a make your own waffle area. That was pretty win in my book and really tasty too!
Amanda recently posted..Brand New Day

8 Margo November 27, 2012 at 10:34 am

Oh I totally love when hotel gyms have dumbbells. Good for you for taking advantage! I think my favorite grab-n-go breakfast is a Larabar. I always pack a few when I travel. If I can score some fresh fruit, it’s an added bonus!
Margo recently posted..Sweaty Savings

9 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats November 27, 2012 at 10:37 am

I never supplement hotel breakfasts. I usually just find a way to make it work. And always eat one banana and take one with me when I leave. Love bananas πŸ™‚ I have been reallyyyy slacking with my strength training lately but plan on hitting up the dumbells at the gym tonight.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Leftover City

10 Stephanie November 27, 2012 at 10:55 am

I’m not very good at doing workouts on my own either. Kudos to you for getting to the gym on such a busy day! It’s a tough thing to do!
Stephanie recently posted..Black Bean and Corn Salsa

11 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 27, 2012 at 11:03 am

I’m all about yogurt & sliced banana from hotel breakfasts. Simple and so good.
Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper recently posted..A Pants-y Pick-Me-Up

12 Sara @ sarasmiles November 27, 2012 at 11:03 am

You’re like me-if I know I am going to be somewhere with no almond butter on hand, I always bring my own!
Sara @ sarasmiles recently posted..Meatless Monday: Acorn Squash Bowl

13 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 27, 2012 at 11:22 am

I usually try to find oatmeal or yogurt and bulk it up with my own nut butter, granola, fruit, or nuts. yum!
Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) recently posted..Make Ahead: Traditional Chili with Quinoa

14 Meghan @ After the Ivy League November 27, 2012 at 11:27 am

I’m the same way, feel a bit lost when I try to strength train on my own. I love having a workout DVD or printed out circuit workout to follow. Helps keep me focused!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Thanksgiving Weekend, I Miss You Already

15 Julie November 27, 2012 at 11:49 am

I agree on needing a structured workout! It is such a struggle to be motivated when I don’t have a ‘plan’ of some sort! I’m trying to find my next strength training plan now that I’ve finished NROLFW, but I’m realizing there aren’t many that are great!
Julie recently posted..Wedding: The Engagement

16 TorontoRunner November 27, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I’ve got a thing for hotels, and always love checking out what the gym looks like, even if I don’t use it! haha!

17 Candice November 27, 2012 at 5:18 pm

A good sweat before a day of work, just how every day should start! Way to go!
Candice recently posted..Thanksgiving Round 2

18 Annette @FitnessPerks November 27, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I think it’s SO lame when hotels don’t have DBs. SO great that you got one that did! Yay!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..A Taste of My Synergy Stew

19 [email protected] November 27, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I like to add a nut butter of some sort to hotel oatmeal and fruit. πŸ™‚
[email protected] recently posted..Race Recap: Run For Your Lives 5K (aka The Zombie Run)

20 BroccoliHut November 27, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I always love it when hotels have weights too! The resort we stayed at last week for our honeymoon didn’t have any free weights and I was a little bummed about it πŸ™
As for hotel breakfasts, I usually first look for a big pot of oatmeal.

21 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 27, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I LOVE when hotel gyms have weights! I so wanted to lift weights at one of the gyms I stayed at during my move but it was pretty consistent that after about 20-30 minutes of cardio, my dad would come down to the gym as his hint that I should go shower while he eats his breakfast. If it wasn’t his hint, it sure got me out of the gym…
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..I am a runner.

22 Charlie (The Runner Beans) November 28, 2012 at 7:10 am

Totally with you on the weights by yourself thing, thats why I love BodyPump!! No slacking off in a class full of other people. I find it hard to stay on the treadmill for longer than half an hour- need to try to mix it up to keep me entertained!
Charlie (The Runner Beans) recently posted..HOW FIT ARE YOU?

23 Beka @ rebeccaroams November 28, 2012 at 8:46 am

Fruit, eggs, or oatmeal are my go-to’s at hotel continental breakfasts!
I love when hotels have a nicely stocked gym. Makes me more likely to use it, even if it’s just for a quick pick me up run or weight session.
Beka @ rebeccaroams recently posted..#HOLIDAYADAY Photo Challenge

24 Megan November 28, 2012 at 10:20 am

What was your mileage on that treadmill workout? I need intervals on the TM but have this psychological need to do at least 3 miles on just about every run or I haven’t really “run.”

25 Meghann November 28, 2012 at 10:25 am

It was a little less than 4 miles. Usually when I’m doing workouts on the treadmill, I pay attention to time and not miles so I can’t tell you 100% for certain what the total mileage was.