Bacon and avocado make everything better

by Meghann on November 27, 2012

Another day… another two Whole Foods Markets demos are in the books.

I started the day at the Whole Foods Market Coral Gables.

20121127_135919.jpg

This one was attached to a business building and had one of those cart escalators that my dad turns into a kid around (he may be the only almost-50 year old that gets a kick out of letting a cart go up and riding on the escalator next to it – I love my dad). My brother used to live in the area, so I was already familiar with the store. We shopped there once during a visit. I think it was after the Miami Half Marathon. I remember getting post-race cookies from the bakery or something. 🙂

Anyway… I set up my demo near the front of the store and saw a good amount of lunch time traffic.

20121127_120353.jpg

I wrapped-up with the samples at 2:00 and decided to take a break from the Whole Foods Hot Bar by taking a reader’s recommendation to have a sandwich at Whisk down the street.

20121127_140652.jpg

What an adorable little restaurant. Parking was horrible, but I lucked out by snagging a person’s spot right as they were pulling out. I also avoided the short wait by taking a seat at the counter.

20121127_143450.jpg

Check out the lights above the bar. They’re whisks! How cute!

I was feeling really drained at this point and ordered the first sandwich that popped out at me on the menu – the grilled tuna, avocado, and bacon melt (sans the cheese – I wasn’t feeling it). For some reason, when I read that description I thought it was going to be a grilled tuna steak and not tuna salad. If I had given it more than two seconds of thought, I probably would have ordered something different since I’m not the biggest fan of tuna salad (this was totally my error- not sure where my head was). When it arrived there was a two-second delay of “oh, this wasn’t what I thought it was” before I dove right in (I was hungry and didn’t care what I was eating at this point)

20121127_142154.jpg

Wow. So happy I ordered this by mistake. Probably the best tuna sandwich I’ve ever had. The tuna salad wasn’t terribly heavy and the bacon and avocado were so fresh and flavorful – this baby rocked. I finished every single bite of the giant sandwich (this thing was huge) and loved every bit of it. I’d order it again in a heartbeat.

After lunch, I drove 20 minutes to Whole Foods Market South Beach.

20121127_155147.jpg

I gave myself just enough time to check some emails, throw up a quick wedding post, and have a much needed coffee.

My set-up for store number two!

20121127_161529.jpg

I loved this store. It was small, but packed and full of life. South Beach is really a whole other world and people watching in the area never fails to disappoint. Love it.

Major bonus: I was stationed right in front of the cheese case!

20121127_163012.jpg

Something to remember for all future demo... make friends with the cheese guy! He asked me at the beginning of my shift if I like cheese (hell yeah, I do!), then proceeded to bring me various samples of his favorite cheeses over the next three hours. I was in cheese heaven! I sampled a goat cheese, a cherry cheese, some other cheeses I can’t remember the names of, and parmesan. Yum. Yum. Yum.

He also filled me in on some South Beach gossip. He’s worked at a few Whole Foods over the years, but told me South Beach is his favorite store because of the energy the store has. He also told me it’s fun to work in South Beach because you never know which celebrity is going to walk in. Apparently Christian Slater and Hank Azaria are Whole Foods South Beach regulars. I was hoping a random celebrity would walk in that I could give a Buckwheat & Hemp sample to while I was there, but no such luck. Darn.

I was so full on cheese, that I wasn’t terribly hungry for dinner when my shift ended. The only thing that sounded good was soup, so I had a small bowl of chicken tortilla.

20121127_191100.jpg

I had an hour and a half drive north before I could check into my hotel and call it a night. I booked all of my hotels close to my morning stores since I would rather get the drive over at night and wake up where I need to be in the morning. It makes for a long night (I didn’t get to my hotel until after 9:00), but it’s worth it.

Alright. Time for bed.

Good night!

1 Jean November 27, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I’m not 50, but I LOVE those cart escalator things! So much fun.
Jean recently posted..Random Shit Tuesday

2 Joelle (on a pink typewriter) November 27, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Mmm, totally agree with you about avocado and bacon. Yum!

I must have missed this, but what are you doing with Whole Foods? Are you working there now?
Joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Home Sweet Airport

3 Meghann November 28, 2012 at 8:52 am

I’m working with Attune and doing demos for them at Whole Foods around Miami. This post explains it a little better: http://mealsandmiles.com/2012/11/26/miami-demo-world-tour/ 🙂

4 Stephanie November 27, 2012 at 11:11 pm

I’ve been on a recent tuna salad sandwich kick.. I would have loved that! Also, the local Mexican restaurant here serves a tuna melt as a quesadilla. (*huh*?) I’ve ordered it before and it’s not that shabby.

5 theresa @ aspoonfulofsunshine November 27, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I’m a student but have a part time job with a wine company doing almost the exact same thing you are doing for Attune so I totally relate with this! I am usually stationed by the cheese counter as well (because cheese + wine, duh) but sometimes when they put me by the hot bar, Holy Moses all I want to do for 4 hours is eat fried chicken! Since I work in Santa Barbara, I am always waiting for celebrities to walk into as well! One day…
theresa @ aspoonfulofsunshine recently posted..Turkey Day

6 Meghann November 28, 2012 at 8:51 am

Wine demos sound like fun! I know I always be sure to stop by the ones they set up at the Whole Foods near me! 🙂

7 TorontoRunner November 27, 2012 at 11:50 pm

haha I’m genuinely impressed with the whisks for lights, cute!
TorontoRunner recently posted..TorontoWalker – Grey Cup Parade!

8 Becky @ runfundone November 28, 2012 at 1:15 am

Are you still going to be there tomorrow? If so, please, please go to the restaurant Berries in the Grove. http://www.berriesinthegrove.com/ You will LOOOOVE it. That restaurant is one of the only things that I miss about living in South Florida!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Fit, But You Know It!

9 Meghann November 28, 2012 at 8:53 am

NO, I’m in Wellington/ Palm Beach today. Sounds like a great restaurant, though!

10 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats November 28, 2012 at 6:27 am

I’ve never heard of whisk. Will def check it out next time I’m in Miami. That sandwich looks incredible! South Beah is a absolutely the best for ppl watching. I could sit and watch all day long 🙂
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Wish List Wednesday

11 Meghann November 28, 2012 at 8:54 am

It’s a bit hidden and out of the way. A few of the Yelp reviews I read on it said you would probably miss it if no one told you about it, but it’s definitely worth checking out!

12 Sara @my less serious life November 28, 2012 at 6:38 am

friends with the cheese guy. noted!!
Sara @my less serious life recently posted..what i ate wednesday: issue 60

13 [email protected] November 28, 2012 at 7:05 am

Looks like a fun couple of days. Ive always wanted to visit Miami. Its on the to do list. 🙂
[email protected] recently posted..Race Recap: Run For Your Lives 5K (aka The Zombie Run)

14 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope November 28, 2012 at 7:11 am

That sandwich looks fantastic! I love the idea of adding avocado to tuna salad. Yum! 🙂
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..An Evening At Fleming’s Steakhouse!…

15 Em November 28, 2012 at 7:14 am
16 Meghann November 28, 2012 at 8:54 am

Thank you!

17 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 28, 2012 at 7:19 am

That would have been so cool if you got to see a celebrity! And I love how Whisk was decorated, the whisk lights, but also the ceilings! I love places with pretty ceilings like that!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–School and PT

18 Laura November 28, 2012 at 7:56 am

How fun you’re in whole foods so you have lots of healthy options at your finger tips! I can’t believe the amount of traveling you’re doing for this–are they compensating your travel expenses? You are so busy with your blog and what not I can’t imagine you would commit to this unless the price is right! Have fun!

19 Meghann November 28, 2012 at 8:56 am

Yes, they are compensating me for the work, as well as reimbursing me for my expenses. I’m a contracted employee for Attune this week.

20 Beth November 28, 2012 at 9:11 am

Cheese, avocado, and bacon – three of my favorite things. Now I’m hungry and I just ate breakfast. 🙂 Safe travels lady.
Beth recently posted..Is there sugar in syrup?

21 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 28, 2012 at 9:18 am

I’m so jealous of all your Whole Foods action the last few days! Too bad you didn’t see any celebrities. That would’ve been awesome!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Back Country Paradise

22 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer November 28, 2012 at 10:21 am

While in Palm Beach Garden, you should check out a place called Leftovers. It’s 10 minutes North of the Whole Foods in PBG. If you ask anyone where to eat, they will tell you Leftovers! It’s a little pricey but I PROMISE you will not be disappointed!!
Sloane @ Life Food and Beer recently posted..I love my Weiner!!

23 Meghann November 28, 2012 at 10:26 am

Thanks for the tip! I’ll be there at dinnertime tonight.

24 Meghan @ After the Ivy League November 28, 2012 at 11:44 am

I don’t eat tuna sandwiches all that often, but every now and then the craving really hits me. And thanks to that delicious looking sandwich up there, it’s happening now! Might need to search the house to see if I have a can hiding somewhere. And I love the whisks on the lights! Such a cute idea for kitchen lighting.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..WIAW #13: Quick and Dirty

25 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 28, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Bacon definitely makes everything better. But avocado? Eh, not so much for me. For years, I’ve wished I like avocado, but I just don’t! I think it’s a combo of the texture & the fact that I think it’s semi flavorless. Oh well…
Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper recently posted..A Pants-y Pick-Me-Up

26 Emily N November 28, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Cart escalators? I have never seen such a thing. I guess my Ohio roots are showing?
Emily N recently posted..Maybe I SHOULD have Stayed in Bed!

27 Camile November 28, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Ah, you were in my hood today! 😉 I shop at that Whole Foods in Coral Gables weekly. The cart escalators are definitely awesome.