Breakfast Berries

by Meghann on November 26, 2012

Good Morning!

How is everyone doing on this beautiful Monday morning? Still coming down from the 4-day weekend high?

I kicked Monday off with a visit to the hotel’s fitness center.

20121126_072424.jpg

Both of the treadmills were in use when I walked in, so I tried my luck on the elliptical. I probably only hop on an elliptical once every few months, so I’m not familiar with it at all. This morning I went with the “Hill Workout” at “Level 5,” opened the CW app on my phone (had to catch up on last week’s episode of Hart of Dixie πŸ˜‰ ), and just went for it. The hill climbs on the elliptical were steady and definitely had me working up a sweat.

20121126_072436.jpg

I was on the elliptical for thirty-five minutes, then did a mini circuit of jumping jacks, lunges, squats, push-ups, and sit-ups. I completed four rounds and felt good about it. Kinda wish I had some heavy weights to lift, but body weight moves work just as well on the road. πŸ™‚

Breakfast was purchased last night at Whole Foods.

My room has a mini-fridge, so I was able to keep the yogurt and berries cool overnight. This morning I mixed the yogurt and berries with a spoonful of almond butter and walnuts.

If there wasn’t a fridge, my plan was to store the yogurt and berries in an ice bucket with ice. I’ve learned over the years that the ice and ice bucket at hotels are pretty handy when it comes to cold yogurts, berries, leftovers, etc.

Not a bad breakfast. πŸ™‚

You Are An Ironman Review

I finished “You Are An Ironman” on my drive to Miami yesterday (the audiobook- I promise I wasn’t reading a paperback at the wheel πŸ˜‰ ) . The book, which I started last month, follows six “weekend warriors” as they train for their first Ironman. What really drew me to the book is the fact that it follows six average joes (from various athletic backgrounds – some of them had never even run a marathon or completed a 70.3 before they started training for their IM) and not elite or experienced triathletes. This is not a training manual, it’s simply their stories as they train for a common goal.

YouAreAnIronman.jpg

I’ll admit the book felt a bit dry and drawn out for the first few chapters, but once you got into the meat of the weekend warriors’ training, it gets better. The story was told through the author’s voice as he followed all six weekend warriors (from various locations around the country) as they trained for Ironman Arizona. Each character has their own set of challenges and goals for the race that I think the majority of us could relate to, especially their struggles with time management, battling injuries, balancing a social life/ family time with training (one husband and wife team were training together as newlyweds), nutrition, and all other mental hurdles that an Ironman brings.

The characters all kept blogs that the author referenced and quoted frequently. This book almost felt like a condensed version of all of their blogs. Not a bad thing, just something that made me giggle. It was actually nice to have it all condensed; I made sure to bookmark all the blogs so I could go back and read the majority of their training entries on my own.

I don’t want to give too much away on what happens to all of the characters, but I will say that not all of them make it to the finish line in Arizona and I did tear up in the final chapters. Competing in an Ironman is a very emotional thing and I thought the author did a great job conveying that during the race.

In the end, I’m really glad I listened to this book before I started training for my own Ironman (Ironman Florida in 2013!). It was just the type of story I needed to remind myself that I can do this. Many of the characters were hitting times similar to mine in their races leading up to IMAZ. They weren’t swimming/cycling/running superstars, but they had determination and a goal worth fighting for. If they can finish in less than 17:00 (spoiler: the ones that finished, all finished under 16:00!) then so can I! It was also helpful to know what to expect with the emotional roller coaster of training and racing. I’ll probably listen to it again (at least the last two chapters) in another 6 months for a little training boost. If you’re currently training for an Ironman (or considering one) I would highly recommend it. If you have no interest in an Ironman at all, then you’ll probably lose interest after the first chapter. πŸ˜‰

1 Kathy November 26, 2012 at 9:56 am

OHHHHH…that’s my favorite yogurt!! Just made me want to have some seeing it here…oh, well I am off to work…maybe lunch?

πŸ˜‰

2 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 26, 2012 at 10:06 am

I learned the ice bucket trick from one of my roommates at Healthy Living Summit! Definitely a good one, haha although a fridge is better!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Riding the Mizuno Wave

3 Ashley November 26, 2012 at 10:20 am

WF is always my go to when I’m traveling. Their salad bar keeps me on track and I can always snag a dessert if I feel like indulging a little. The workout center never works out well for me though. I never feel like I’m getting as good a workout. I need my heavy weights!

4 NYC Fit GIrl November 26, 2012 at 10:56 am

The breakfast looks delish!! yum!!!
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..The Workout Weekend That Wasn’t

5 Army Amy* November 26, 2012 at 11:02 am

I read the book, and I agree that some parts are really slow. But a part of me appreciated that because training for a race is arduous and tedious and not glamorous. I like that it wasn’t glossed over; the training was the meat of the book. And I loved the end! I’m not even a triathlete, and the book had me wanting to attempt an Ironman! Haha!*

6 Meghann November 26, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I actually enjoyed the training parts, but the intro was what got me. He could have glossed over some of the Ironman history and I would have been okay with it. πŸ™‚

7 Allison November 26, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I kind of hate the elliptical, I call it the elliptica-hell
Allison recently posted..Black Friday Shopping–Big Savings

8 TorontoRunner November 26, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I’m with you, the elliptical comes after running and the bike..my last resort for cardio!
TorontoRunner recently posted..Christmas Tree Farm!

9 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 26, 2012 at 12:35 pm

My favorite meal πŸ™‚ The book sounds interesting. I really think it’s awesome to see everyday people try to compete at that level. Very inspiring!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..It’s The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year!

10 Charlie (The Runner Beans) November 26, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Sounds like it might be perfect inspiration for my triathlon training- I know its a totally different scale, but think it sounds really interesting!
Charlie (The Runner Beans) recently posted..YOU NEVER REGRET A WORKOUT

11 Courtney November 26, 2012 at 1:19 pm

That definitely sounds like a great book to read. πŸ™‚ Way to push it on the elliptical; I’m definitely not a fan, haha.
Courtney recently posted..When Hard Work Pays Off

12 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 26, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Glad you enjoyed the book; I really liked it as well! And I was basically crying while reading the last few chapters. Completing an Ironman takes so much time, training, dedication, and heart–how can we not feel for everyone who attempts to cross the finish line?
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..I’m a FitFluential Ambassador!

13 Meghann November 26, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Totally agree. If you need inspiration, just stand at the finish line of an Ironman race from 9:00pm to midnight and try not to tear up.

14 LizForADay November 26, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Great review. Although I’m not training for an Ironman I probably would like the book. I really enjoy reading about ultra runners too. Of course I have no desire to do that much running. πŸ™‚ Good luck on your triathlon. πŸ™‚
LizForADay recently posted..FD203 – Ubud Kings Home Passport Day

15 [email protected] November 26, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Ive used the ice bucket as a “fridge” option many many times. πŸ™‚
[email protected] recently posted..Disney Hangover

16 Jean November 26, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Those berries look RIDICULOUSLY delicious. I haven’t seen a berry since I moved back to Alaska-what a shame! That’s not to say we don’t have them, just that they’re so far out of my price range I can’t even bear to look…
Jean recently posted..Hey Jeano, Give Some New Trails a Chance!

17 Bria November 26, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Those berries look delicious πŸ™‚ Good job on the hotel workout! You are looking fantastic.
Bria recently posted..My first (PEI) trail run adventure

18 Bunmi November 26, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Great review of the book! I have never considered an Ironman but thinking of doing a sprint Triathlon so i think i might enjoy the book.
Bunmi recently posted..The Big Five O

19 Becky @ runfundone November 26, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Wait. I can watch Gossip Girl on my PHONE??? This is revolutionary.
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Snowboarding Love

20 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 26, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Good thinking with the bucket! I’ll definitely have to give that a shot some time in the future.
Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper recently posted..A Pants-y Pick-Me-Up

21 Emily N November 27, 2012 at 9:51 am

I think you did a great workout for what you had at the gym! nice job!
Emily N recently posted..Stepping up to Prep for the Weekend!