more ยป" />

Football Eats

by Meghann on November 25, 2012

So…. the football game. Yeah… that wasn’t pretty. I thought the Noles were starting to bounce back and show some of that fighting power in the third quarter, but they definitely lost that spirit in the fourth quarter and just plain gave up. Sigh. Oh, well. I still love my Noles and will stand by them no matter what the score is.

And, can I just say Go Notre Dame!!! I’m really excited they’ll be in the National Championship game! Go Fighting Irish! :)

We kept it low key for the game. Derek and I wore our garnet and gold with pride, and my brother and sister-in-law came over for beer and food.

I had a Publix cob salad before the game.

(with an Octoberfest beer)

And nibbled on some chips and cheese dip while riding the emotional roller coaster of the game.

My dad and I made a chicken and sausage white chili based off of the recipe in the Publix flyer this week.

Neither of us had ever made white chili before, but we both really enjoyed how it came out. It was nice and creamy, but not over the top. I would make it again. And, if you have a Publix where you are, I would suggest grabbing a flyer and checking the recipe out.

I meant to blog last night, but ended up crashing right after the game. I woke up on the couch at 11:00 and forced myself to walk upstairs and go to bed. I slept in this morning and decided to take advantage of the last day of the holiday weekend by declaring it a rest day.

It’s a rare morning where a fire in the fire place makes sense in Florida. :)

My dad made homemade coffee cake.

And I made a plain yogurt/blueberry/ pear mix to go with it.

‘Twas tasty.

My parents brought home their Christmas tree yesterday. We’re going to help them decorate it before finishing off our wedding to-do list for the weekend.

IMG_4295.jpg IMG_4298.jpg

I’m still not sure if we’re going to put a Christmas tree up at home. We have a pretty busy December ahead of us, and with all the wedding stuff I’m not sure I have it in me to put decorations up for the season. I think we may skip our decorations this year and just enjoy everyone else’s instead.

Thoughts? Any other December/ January brides have any advice?

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 25, 2012 at 10:57 am

I’m going to miss decorating my parents’ tree this year, they haven’t had a chance to pick it up yet and I don’t finish finals until December 21st! Haha I definitely don’t expect them to wait that long!

2 Mabelle @ Dance, Love, Dine November 25, 2012 at 11:51 am

That publix salad looks so amazing. I think Ive been inspired for tomorrows lunch :)

3 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 25, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I can totally understand why you would want to skip the decorations this year. But I would be so sad without a Christmas tree!

4 Erin November 25, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Not a bride here, but totally understand skipping the decorations. We’ll be gone from December 20th to December 30th so there’s no point in putting up a tree since we won’t even be around at the holiday to appreciate it!

5 lisa fine November 25, 2012 at 12:13 pm

What’s white chili? I’ve never heard of it before.

6 Meghann November 25, 2012 at 9:26 pm

It’s chili with a cream base instead of tomato. Same seasonings, just no tomato and you usually use chicken instead of beef. :)

7 Jess November 26, 2012 at 2:54 pm

It looks like the recipe is also online (I did some snooping since I’m from a Publix-free area). Meghann – is this it?

8 Meghann November 27, 2012 at 9:28 am

Yep – that’s the one!

9 Michelle November 25, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Granted it was 10 years ago – but Dan and I got married 3 days after Christmas (it was a really good idea at the time) and we didn’t do any decorating. We also lived in Tally though and drove down to Orlando the week before. The last thing I needed was to come home and have to take down decorations!

10 Meghann November 25, 2012 at 9:26 pm

That’s what I’m thinking, since we are going to be driving back and forth between Titusville a lot I don’t want to have to bother with taking them down before the wedding.

11 Liz November 25, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I got married December 19th, so we were on our honeymoon in Fiji for our first Christmas together and definitely skipped decorations. We have been pretty lazy about them since then too because we are never actually at our own house for Christmas! It’s so hard to be motivated to put them up when you know you won’t even be home for the holiday! Last year I did put up a few decorations around the house and this year we are finally going to put up a tree after 3 years of marriage :)

12 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 25, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Have you thought about maybe putting up a small tree or a wreath? I’ve never been a bride so I can only imagine the stress of the wedding being so close and needing to pull together the final details MID-holiday. But I would imagine a small touch of the season might help bring a bit of holiday cheer and a reminder to allow yourself some time to relax.

13 Jean November 25, 2012 at 1:23 pm

No Christmas tree?! How sad! Maybe you should get a fake tree or even a shrub so you’ve got something? I can’t imagine Christmas without one! That white chili looks really good!

14 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale November 25, 2012 at 1:44 pm

It’s so strange to see your Dad standing next to a Christmas tree in shorts!! We’re definitely always in sweatshirts and long pants (whether flannel, cotton, or jeans) when we decorate our tree. It’s odd to think that its still warm there and that there’s no chance that you’ll have a white Christmas … Do you ever want a white Christmas or are you happy with the warmth?

15 Meghann November 25, 2012 at 9:24 pm

When I was kid, we used to leave for ski trips on Christmas Day so we could have a white Christmas. We would start the day with a green Christmas and end the day with a white one. :)

16 morgan November 25, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I got married 12 days after my birthday last year, and totally decided to skip my birthday all together. When you are getting married, life is so busy, and so full of family and gifts, and decorating, that its hard for any other holiday to compete. I say skip it, and then next year do it up big for your first married Christmas!

17 Charlie (therunnerbeans) November 25, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I don’t think I can justify getting a tree this year as I am going away from the 14th Dec-3rd jan!! That coffee cake looks good, no frosting though??

18 Meghann November 25, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I’ve never had coffee cake with frosting, we usually do a coffee crumb cake with a cinnamon/ powder sugar crumb topping.

19 Charlie (therunnerbeans) November 26, 2012 at 4:09 pm

try it with a coffee or mocha buttercream frosting, it is delicious!!

20 Alissa November 25, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Long time reader, first time commenter here! Just had to say YAY to you for giving the Fighting Irish some love! There are enough haters out there, and as someone who graduated from undergrad and grad school at Notre Dame, I appreciate the love!!!

Also, your blog is great generally; I truly enjoy it. :)

21 Elissa November 25, 2012 at 2:28 pm

We were married last year on December 31st and skipped all the decorations. I was bummed at the time but it was really nice not to have to take any down when we got home. I made up for it this year and went all out!

22 Elizabeth November 25, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I’m getting married three days after christmas, but we are still putting up our stuff! We both LOVE christmas and could not imagine decorating!

23 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats November 25, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I can not wait to decorate for Christmas. We’re getting our tree tomorrow. Publix has some great recipes, usually pretty simple and tasty. I also declared today a rest day! Love long weekends ;)

24 Becki November 25, 2012 at 4:16 pm

That’s one thing I live about living in Canada. If you put your tree up before US Thanksgiving – it is okay. I put mine up last weekend so am enjoying it for 2 weeks before the crazyness of December kicks in. I also use a fake tree so do not have to worry about it not getting watered etc while December is so busy!

25 Bill November 25, 2012 at 4:46 pm

First and foremost, your “Football Eats” is the very first thing I’ve read and am responding to on my newly created Twitter account…saw you listed in the last Runner’s World and thought, anyone who combines food and running is someone to follow! As for the tree…we’re traveling so no tree, however, you can still decorate a bit so there is some semblance of the holidays in your home.

26 Candice November 25, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Decorate a tree.. Something about a christmas tree and its glowing lights that just help stress melt away.
;)

27 Katie @ Balanced RD November 25, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I’m not getting married in the next couple months…but can only imagine how much you have to do, on top of all the holiday things! But, I would have to put up a few decorations to get in holiday spirit. Not go crazy, but make your house feel a little more Christmassy than usual :) Good luck with last minute wedding plans!

28 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 25, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Do I spy a breadstick next to that bowl of chili? Mmmmm yum.

29 Meghann November 25, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Yep! Random, but my dad had extra pizza dough so he made breadsticks with them. I never turn down a hot-out-of-the-over garlic breadstick!

30 Katie D. November 26, 2012 at 7:52 am

Last year we went on a cruise from Dec 16 – Dec 25 and we skipped the tree. I did pull out a few decorations but that was it. I wasn’t there to enjoy it, had enough to do with getting packed/tying up work details, didn’t want to the cats to destroy it and did not want to deal with it when unpacking/catching up on laundry from our trip!

31 Kimberly November 26, 2012 at 9:50 am

We get married in two weeks and we have decided not to decorate this year. We’ve had the time to do it, I just don’t want to put all the effort in when we’re going to be gone most of December. Plus, we would get a real tree and I’m not sure it would survive (or look decent when we get back) with how long we’re going to be gone with a destination wedding and a honeymoon.

32 Sarah November 26, 2012 at 9:56 am

*cough cough* FL State = Gator bait!! *cough cough*

Haha. But I do agree with you on ND. One of my best friends did his undergrad degree there so I kind of have to cheer them on…he wouldn’t speak to me otherwise! lol

33 Noel December 2, 2012 at 6:53 pm