Thankful for Family

by Meghann on November 21, 2012

This morning, was not a great morning.

I was stressing over my upcoming road trip around South Florida, what I needed to pack, and all the logistics that goes with it.

I was stressing over the wedding items I wanted to check off of the to-do list while I’m in Titusville this weekend and which family members I needed to corner about RSVPs when I saw them.

I was stressing about the groceries I needed for the dessert item and brussels sprouts I’m planning to make for turkey day.

I was stressing over the laundry, dishes, and trash that needed to be taken out before I left.

Once I did make it to the car, I was grumpy, tired, and ready for the holiday to be over.

Then I arrived at my parents’ house and this happened.

Every year my mom makes her famous peanut butter balls by herself. We’ve never asked for the recipe, nor have we really offered to help. That was always mom’s thing and we never stood in her way. But this year was different, we wanted to help and we wanted to learn.

So mom taught us. Together, we mixed the peanut butter, nuts, graham cracker crumbs, and butter (no measurements – just go by feel). We melted the chocolate in our makeshift double boiler and we dipped the balls one by one in the chocolate coating. For the most part, our balls were too big, lopsided, and really a huge mess. But they were ours, as a group and we treasured all of them.

While we were making the peanut butter balls, all the stress melted away. I looked around and saw the smiling faces of my family; laughing, smiling, and 100% relaxed in their environment. Moments like these are what the holidays are really about – love, family, and friendship.

This Thanksgiving I’m thankful for my family (both new and old) and the love they never fail to fill a room with. I’m thankful for traditions and our ability to grow and evolve with them. I’m thankful for my mom’s peanut butter balls, which have the ability to cure any ailment – pinky promise. And I’m thankful for my fiance who has the ability to brighten any day with a simple hug.

I’m also thankful for fur-babies.

We have a full house tonight. 5 dogs, 8 humans, and a continual conversation that won’t end.

I changed my mind, I’m not ready for the holidays to be over – they’ve only just begun!

Happy Thanksgiving!

What are you thankful for this year?

1 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 21, 2012 at 10:38 pm

This is the first Thanksgiving in at least 4 years that I get to be with my family. To be, it doesn’t get any better. πŸ™‚
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..What I Ate – And Sleep!!

2 Annie November 22, 2012 at 12:40 am

I know I take it for granted that I live so close to my family. So close, in fact, that sometimes I dream of moving farther away LOL πŸ™‚

This is a BEAUTIFUL post Meghann! I am so glad you got to learn how to make those peanut butter balls with your sisters!
Annie recently posted..Disney Store Black Friday Deals!

3 LizForADay November 22, 2012 at 1:52 am

That is just how it should be. There is always a brighter side to things and plenty to be thankful for. πŸ™‚ Happy Turkey Day! πŸ™‚
LizForADay recently posted..FD201- Happy Turkey Day Everyone!

4 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale November 22, 2012 at 4:32 am

It’s funny that sometimes its the commotion and extreme enthusiasm that the holiday provides that calms us down. It reminds us that things can be loud and insane and all over the place, but as long as we’re with those we love, it really doesn’t matter what the circumstance — we’re tackling it all together.
What a fabulous post, Meghann! Happy Thanksgiving!!
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Re-Birthday

5 [email protected] November 22, 2012 at 6:22 am

happy thanksgiving to you and your family – have a wonderful day together.
we already “gave thanks” in canada last month, but any day is a good day to reflect on all the positives in life.
i had to comment because it is family tradition to make peanut butter balls at christmas (recipe sounds like yours except ours also have dates in them). mom makes them, dad does the chocolate dipping. there’s an art and a technique to that dipping process!

6 Michelle November 22, 2012 at 7:06 am

This year has been one giant blessing. My husband is home and not deployed, we lived in Europe for the past year, we are now living in such a beautiful state (Colorado), we have a beautiful house, food on our table…. there is so much to be thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving!
Michelle recently posted..Thanksgiving

7 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 22, 2012 at 7:47 am

It’s so easy for the holidays to turn from a time of celebration to stress. Glad you and your family had fun last night; I can’t wait to see my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins today. Happy Thanksgiving!
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Thanksgiving Preparations and a Walk with Zelda

8 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 22, 2012 at 8:25 am

Ooooooh those peanut butter balls sound amazing. As soon as I saw “graham cracker crumbs”, I knew I’d like them.
Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper recently posted..She’s A Skinny Minnie

9 Erica November 22, 2012 at 8:32 am

It is wayyyy too easy to stress about the little things! The balls do sound really really good. I’m thankful for Kaylin because she makes my every day. I’m thankful for how supportive Josh is. I’m thankful for my parents, Josh’s parents, siblings…wonderful life!
Erica recently posted..More Football, More Chili