Chin Up

by Meghann on November 21, 2012

I set a goal for myself at CrossFit this morning:

• Complete one unassisted chin-up before the end of the year

It’s the first goal I’ve set for myself at CrossFit and it’s one I’m really excited about. We tackled chin-ups for the first time since I’ve been there this morning and I couldn’t believe how strong I felt during my first set. Why haven’t we worked on chin-ups before? They’re sooo much easier than pull-ups… maybe that’s why I like them? πŸ˜‰

558997_10102462569936953_1976552815_n.jpg

I kept working my way down on resistance with the band (thinner band = less resistance), and came close to doing one band-free, but it didn’t happen. That’s okay – just something to work on in the future.

I thought our class was small on Monday with just three people, today we had TWO. It felt like a private session, which wasn’t a bad thing. Since our coach could really watch us, she was able to push us a little harder in class. There was no skimping out or staying at one resistance, we were continually building and I pushed myself farther (especially with the chin-ups) than I probably would have otherwise. We need more holiday weeks like this. πŸ™‚

20121121_073700.jpg

The skill set today was all about the chin-ups. We had 2-3 weighted dead hang chin ups (or in my case the lightest band resistance I could get 2-3 reps out of). The general rule with the 2-3 number is, if you can do 3 of the 2-3 rep set, then add more weight (less resistance) for the next round until you’re maxed at just 2 reps.

We had thirty seconds to rest, then moved to a band with a good amount of resistance (or unweighted) for a set of dead hang chin ups with max reps at 2110. The 2-1-1-0 counted your movements during the chin up. The 2 was how many seconds it should take you to come down from the chin up, the 1 is your hang time at the bottom, the other 1 is how long it should take you to get back up, and the 0 was how long you stayed at the top. So, basically you just make sure you add a little time to the descending portion of the chin up. I averaged 9 on these with a pretty good resistance on the band.

The WOD was quick, but not exactly painless. I really need to work on my deadlifts. I laughed when I saw the weight should be 1.15x bodyweight, since I was struggling with 60lbs the last time we did these. Even today, after a couple of minutes of practice, I ended up going with 65 lbs for the workout since that was the most weight I could get in my warm up and still have great form for a high number of reps. Gah. I know the deadlifts are going to take time, it’s just frustrating when everyone goes on about how easy they are and I can’t seem to grasp them.

On the flip side, I enjoyed the run portion of the workout and finished completely out of breath and spent (the sign of a good WOD).

20121121_075829.jpg

The πŸ™‚ means I didn’t have any weight for the chin ups. Maybe one day we’ll turn the πŸ™‚ into a real number. πŸ˜‰

For breakfast, I made scrambled eggs with mushrooms and blue cheese, bacon, and sliced pear.

So so so yummy!

Now I have to figure out how to pack for TWELVE days away!!! I’m leaving for my parents’ place this afternoon, I’ll be at my parent’s place until Sunday then I’m driving to Miami to work demos for Attune at various Whole Foods around South Florida until Thursday, and after that I’m heading up to Orlando for my bachelorette party weekend/ bridal shower. I won’t be back in Tampa until December.

Any tips for packing 12 days of clothes? I’m thinking of doing three separate smaller suitcases (one devoted to Thanksgiving weekend, one for South Florida demos, and one for bachelorette weekend/bridal shower) so I’m not lugging around a gigantic single suit case all week. Thoughts?

1 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer November 21, 2012 at 10:02 am

I love setting goals for CrossFit, it makes me work so much harder to reach them. I don’t feel that strong at chin ups at all, but I have been making progress with pull ups! I feel like all the lifting stuff in CrossFit is kinda how you explained your deadlifts. It is so hard to wrap your mind around but once you do you become unstoppable. I struggled with deadlifts when I started back in June, I used my back more than my legs/hips so I couldn’t go very heavy at all. Once it “clicked” i’ve been able to move up in weights and just maxed out yesterday at 200lbs!! Keep working on it an you’ll get it!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Thanksgiving Tradition Link Up

2 Steph November 21, 2012 at 10:16 am

What’s the difference between a pull up and a chin up?
Good job lady! Keep it up!
Steph recently posted..Giving back to your community

3 Meghann November 21, 2012 at 10:36 am

It’s the grip. With pull ups, the back of your hands are facing towards you when gripping the bar, and in a chin up they’re facing away from you.

4 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 21, 2012 at 10:22 am

Haha that’s quite a trip, even longer than my 10 days from Chicago to KC to Colorado to Boston and back to Chicago! And I managed to do it all in a carry-on! My recommendation is figure out where you can do laundry, because if you can then just bring a couple workout outfits and re-wash those, along with some basic pants or shirts that you can re-use for different outfits.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Clean Out The Fridge

5 Melissa November 21, 2012 at 10:23 am

BLUEEEE CHEEEEEEEEEEEESE. BLUEEEEEEE CHEEESEEEEEEE

Okay, sorry. πŸ™‚ I love me some blue cheese. I’m going to have to try blue cheese on scrambled eggs now. I think that’ll be tonight’s side dish!

6 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer November 21, 2012 at 10:24 am

Multiple suitcases is a really good idea! Will you be visiting any Whole Foods in the Palm Beach area??
Sloane @ Life Food and Beer recently posted..Every meal should start with Dessert!

7 Meghann November 21, 2012 at 10:37 am

Yes! I’ll be at the Palm Beach Gardens Whole Foods on Wednesday!

8 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer November 21, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Awesome! That’s my Whole Foods! It’s cross the street from my house. (I would have to stay it is the smallest Whole Foods I’ve been too. There meat selection is lacking. Maybe you can talk to them about that!!:) I will have to make sure to stop by:)

9 Elisabeth November 21, 2012 at 10:26 am

I definitely think multiple bags or suitcases is the way to go!

10 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 21, 2012 at 10:53 am

Breaking it down like that sounds like a good plan. I would suggest making a list. Think about the outfits your going to need for each day. It’s a lot of work, but it will keep you from overpacking and feeling overwhelmed.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Views From The Road

11 Courtney November 21, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I can’t offer any advice concerning the packing, but good luck! Also, nice work on the chin-ups. When I first was able to pull-ups again (after not having done them in years), I was thrilled and felt SO strong! πŸ™‚
Courtney recently posted..A Very Thankful Day of Thanks – One Day Early!

12 Katie Cummings November 21, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I would say a large suitcase with a duffel bag in it. 3 bags would get overwhelming. Think of the big suitcase as “homebase” and the duffel as the immediate use bag.

13 Mackenzie November 21, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Good call on the separate suitcases. I do this all the time when traveling for college sports-one for real clothes, one for gym/workout/sport uniform clothes.
It makes it really easy to find things and keep things together/apart. You may want to keep your toiletries and such in another small bag/case. Then all you have to grab is that and the proper suitcase.

14 katie November 21, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!!! Safe travels! <3
katie recently posted..What Wednesday!

15 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 21, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Sounds like quite the travel schedule!

I’ve got an unassisted chin up on my list of fitness goals too…we’ll get there πŸ˜‰
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW #11: Chicago Eats.

16 wymberley November 21, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Im so glad you are enjoying CrossFit! I knew you would.

17 Beka @ rebecca roams November 21, 2012 at 4:54 pm

3 separate bags sounds like a good idea. Especially if you will have the trunk of your car to store them in and just change out the toiletries.

I already have one crossfit goal and I haven’t even started. I want to be able to do at least 2 unassisted pull ups by the end.
The last time I could do these was 10 years ago. *sigh*
Beka @ rebecca roams recently posted..Weekly Workouts Roundup Post Half Marathon

18 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner November 21, 2012 at 5:45 pm

When we went to CA for 12 days this summer, I packed 1 big suitcase and rolled all my outfits together – shirt and shorts. Anything that is thin and doesn’t matter if its wrinkled went on top, shoes on bottom, and I wore bulkier stuff on the plane. I think I had pinned something that told me how to pack well too. Have fun!

I’ve always wanted to do an unassisted pull-up. I need to make it a goal and get after it!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..race recap: run to the lights 5k

19 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife November 21, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I haven’t had to do a chinup yet in CrossFit. We always do Pullups! I love the littler classes though. This one time it was just me! (: perfect way to spend my money! have safe travels!
Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife recently posted..Just Dance 4 Review

20 Bunmi November 22, 2012 at 11:13 am

I love your blog! Ive been meaning to try CrossFit for a while. Any tips on getting started?
Bunmi recently posted..Give me a high five