more ยป" />

Worn Out

by Meghann on November 19, 2012

Good Morning!

Man, I could tell I was out of running shape after yesterday’s race. That half marathon wore me out! I came home and didn’t want to move. Derek and I had grand plans to do this and that, but we were both perfectly content to just lay on the couch and veg. We traded off – football for the first few hours, then cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies after that (p.s. you needed to watch “Love at the Thanksgiving Day Parade” 100% cheesy, but also 100% adorable. ๐Ÿ™‚ )

I snacked on some apple slices, cheddar cheese, and pecans (AWESOME combo – must do this again!!)

20121118_140121.jpg

And made chili for dinner.

PB180003.JPG

I kept it really basic:

• 1 lb ground chicken
  • onion
  • carrot
  • okra
  • canned tomatoes
  • chili powders
  • cumin
  • red pepper
  • garlic powder
  • salt + pepper
  • chicken broth

Blue cheese + plain Chobani on top (p.s. blue cheese on chili is actually quite delicious – who knew?)

PB180004.JPG

My foot was giving me problems last night so I wrapped it up in one of the Arctic Ease wraps I picked up from a race expo who knows how long ago.

20121118_181218.jpg

The wrap was pretty easy to use – I just wrapped the foot up and it stuck on its own (it’s pretty moist straight out of the package). The wrap provided a nice cooling effect, but I wish the cooling effect had been a little more intense.

I wore my PureConnects for the half marathon yesterday which was probably a mistake. With minimalist shoes, you want to slowly build your distance wearing the shoes or risk injury. I wear my PureConnects pretty regularly on shorter runs without issues (in fact, I love wearing them on shorter runs) and maxed out in them on my 8 miler last weekend. I enjoyed wearing the so much on the 8 mile run, that I thought I could pull off wearing them for the half marathon, too. Unfortunately the jump from 8 to 13 might have been a little too much. I could feel a slight pain in my right foot almost as soon as I went past the 8 mile barrier that continued through the race. Darn.

So, lesson learn – don’t jump from 8 to 13 miles in minimalist shoes. Instead, continue to build slowly or definitely risk injury. My foot feels a little better today, but I think I’m going to take a couple of days off of running on it just in case. I’ll also be sticking with the PureConnects for my shorter distance and wearing my beloved Glycerin 10s for longer runs.

CrossFit was nice and empty this morning. We had a total of 3 people in our early class. You can tell a lot of folks are starting their Thanksgiving holiday a little on the early side.

20121119_075512.jpg

Today’s WOD was “Explode.”

Our main focus was on weighted jump squats, which were squats you jump out of with a barbell on your back. My legs were tight from my race yesterday, so I was struggling with getting deep enough in my squats. I really need to pick up some yoga classes again, or get better at stretching – my flexibility is shot.

The main WOD was short and sweet. We had eight minutes to do as many rounds of 90 single jump ropes, 20 split squats, and 10 dumbbell push presses that we could squeeze out. I managed to make it through three complete rounds and a little bit into my fourth round. I have to say, with only 3 people, it was harder to get away with half-assing it. Our coach was on us if we did anything incorrectly – there was no getting away with taking the easy route out this morning!

20121119_075500.jpg

Recovery breakfast

PB190013.JPG

Apple slices + almond butter and two eggs.

Time to get this Monday started.

Have a great day, everyone!

1 Beka @ rebecca roams November 19, 2012 at 10:43 am

Kudos to you to getting up and going to Crossfit. It was all I could do to drag myself out of bed this morning to go to work at 5:45a! Hope your foot feels better! I brought the heating pad with me to work…
Beka @ rebecca roams recently posted..Women’s Half Marathon Recap

2 Hillary November 19, 2012 at 10:51 am

CrossFit the day after a half marathon?
Girl, you are CRAZY! Hah.
Hillary recently posted..Nike Womenโ€™s Half Marathon DCโ€”Yay or Nay?

3 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 19, 2012 at 10:52 am

Wow, nice job going to CrossFit after running a half-marathon. I would definitely bask in the 13.1 glory a take a few days off. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..What I Talk About When I Talk About Running Book Review

4 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer November 19, 2012 at 10:52 am

I don’t know that I would even attempt CrossFit the day after a half marathon! I’m trying to figure out more about how running and CrossFit mix… especially with my Spring half coming up around the corner. My coach has me looking into CrossFit Endurance, which uses the Strength and MetCons of CrossFit and adds in interval training. I’m hoping to have a shiny new PR come April!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Weekly Workout Recap

5 NYC Fit GIrl November 19, 2012 at 10:53 am

Awesome job going to crossfit after the half! Way to go!
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..Eight Things

6 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin November 19, 2012 at 10:54 am

I love cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies – can’t wait to watch them every weekend of December ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve never had blue cheese on chili before but it actually sounds really good!

7 Allison November 19, 2012 at 10:55 am

I would not have even thought about going after a race. Good for you.
Allison recently posted..Friday confessions

8 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale November 19, 2012 at 10:56 am

Crossfit so soon after the half-marathon? Girl, you’re a machine!!
Loving the meals and snacks (as always!!) — they always look so refreshing!!
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..MIMM โ€” Darkest Before the Dawn

9 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 19, 2012 at 11:16 am

Oooo that chili looks perfect for a post race afternoon of resting! And I used one of those wraps as well, and agree that it was cold but I would have preferred just icing since it wasn’t cold enough
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Weekly Workouts Demystified

10 Jean November 19, 2012 at 11:21 am

“Explode” may just be the most intimidating workout name ever.

11 Jamie @ StudioEats November 19, 2012 at 11:34 am

Breakfast looks great! Am on the hunt for new bfast ideas and combinations. Like the eggs + apple/peanut butter combo!
Jamie @ StudioEats recently posted..Lentil, Sweet Potato and Kale Stew

12 Luchessa November 19, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Oh wow apple slices, cheddar cheese, and pecans – that’s what caught my eyes. I love this kind of conbination of fruits, cheese & nuts.
I hope you foot does feel better by now!!
Great blog, following via Hellocotton now ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats November 19, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I’m so impressed you went to Crossfit after the half! That’s intense! I watched my first cheesy abc family Christmas movie of the season last night. Love this time of year!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Chocolate covered bacon for breakfast

14 ct cupcake November 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm

my two cents for what it’s worth, but if your foot hurt after the half yesterday, perhaps taking the day off instead of going to crossfit, might have been a good idea. After having a stress fracture(read: very limited exercise and no running for 9 weeks) trust me, it’s worth it to take a rest day or two after a race.
ct cupcake recently posted..Cooking the Books Part 2

15 Annette @FitnessPerks November 19, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I like lazy evenings. And your b-fast looks fab!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Drink Water

16 Kat November 19, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I hope hour foot is ok! I feel that was about my Pure cadence sneaks! I love them but had to stick with my Brooks Ravennas on long runs due to them being higher in the sole/heel compared to the Pure line. Rest up iron woman!
Kat recently posted..Women’s Half – Part 2: THEE race!