Was Not Expecting That

by Meghann on November 19, 2012

Well played, Breaking Dawn Part 2. Well played.

Breaking-Dawn-Part-2-Wallpaper-twilight-series-32562180-1920-1200.jpg

When I first saw the commercial for Breaking Dawn Part 2 with the promise of a “surprise twist ending” I kind of scoffed at the idea. Surprise twist ending? But I read the book – how can it be a surprise? Well… they got me. There was a surprise ending and I’m still a bit torn up inside about it. I won’t give too much away, but I will say that I was almost in tears quietly repeating to my friends “this isn’t how it is in the book…. this isn’t how it is in the book..” I will assure you that the “surprise twist ending” does eventually give you some relief, but it sure is cruel leading up to it.

Like I said… well played, Breaking Dawn Part 2. Well played.

Besides the ending, I thought the movie did great job story-wise interrupting the last chapter of the Twilight saga. They didn’t leave many details out, condensed only where it made sense, and I bet someone who never read the book could follow along without a problem. The hair and make-up were just as horrific as the last three films, but that was to be expected. Oh, and don’t even get me started on the creepy digitized baby. Lifelike or not – that baby was just creepy. Thank goodness Renesmee doesn’t stay a baby for long – the little girl they casted as Renesmee was perfect (the best casting decision those casting directors have ever made in this series).

Renesmee-Character-art.jpeg

Finally, a character who looks exactly as I pictured her in my head when I read the book. Thank you!

If you’re a Twilight fan and haven’t seen Breaking Dawn Part 2 yet, I urge you to get out there and see it. It’s a rare one that’s worth seeing in the theater. It’s a little bittersweet that this was the final film in the series, but the film makers do a great job with a mini tribute to all of the actors involved in the film at the end (worth sticking around for if you see it in the theater). I was happy with the final movie (even with the mini heart attack at the end) and can’t wait to see it again once it’s released on DVD. πŸ™‚

Have you seen Breaking Dawn Part 2 yet? What did you think? Did that twist throw you off as well?!

I had the pleasure of watching Breaking Dawn this evening with some awesome ladies at the CineBistro in Hyde Park.

20121119_193533.jpg

The CineBistro was Mary‘s suggestion. No one in our group had been before and thought we would check it out. The CineBistro is a restaurant/movie theater in one. You order your tickets online ahead of time and pick your seats too. Since it’s a full bar, the theater is 21 and up only, which is nice if you want to get away from the youngins’ for a movie. The seats are also roomie and recline, but they’re also pricey (its was $15.75 each just to see the movie).

20121119_193908.jpg

We were seated about 30 minutes before the movie started. A menu was waiting for us at our seats and the servers wasted no time going row to row taking orders. With the option of a full bar, they also had an array of sandwiches, flatbreads, and desserts.

20121119_193939.jpg

20121119_194909.jpg

We paid for our food/drinks as soon as we gave our order and the service was quick in bringing our food during the opening previews.

I had some tofu and vegetables before the movie and hadn’t planned on having dinner there. Instead of a full meal (everything looked delicious by the way), Dee and I split the “Deconstructed Peanut Butter Pie” for dessert, which was a really rich, delicious peanut butter mousse with a drizzle of chocolate on top and a graham cracker bottom.

20121119_200552.jpg

(They delivered it during the previews so I couldn’t get a great photo with the lights dim).

The peanut butter mousse was very rich and extra peanut buttery. The two of us couldn’t finish the single serving, but we sure enjoyed trying. πŸ™‚

I wouldn’t go to CineBistro regularly ($$$), but I think it’s a fun spot for a date or a girl’s night out. I would love to bring Derek back for a movie and try one of the meals on the menu (the burgers that came out looked really good).

I have a fun day in the works for tomorrow, time to get some sleep.

Good Night!

1 Becky @ runfundone November 20, 2012 at 12:58 am

I have not seen any of the Twilight movies, but my friend was in this one, so I kinda think I should see it…I’ve never seen her act before! But I’m afraid to watch it without watching the others, so I feel like I need to start at the beginning…and watching all those vampire movies sounds kind of exhausting!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..I Want to be a Spartan!

2 Jenn (eating bender) November 20, 2012 at 1:15 am

I felt the exact same way – totally got me. Everyone in the theater was screaming, “What did they do?!” Well played, indeed.

And I COMPLETELY agree on the digitized baby! Gah! Still, it was fun to watch the last one and remember back to when we first started reading them. I recall being so happy that there were so many other bloggers as obsessed as me, reading and then re-reading. πŸ™‚ Can’t believe that was at least four or five years ago now!
Jenn (eating bender) recently posted..Nine Is Fine

3 Meghann November 20, 2012 at 6:44 am

Yes! If it weren’t for other bloggers raving about them, I would never have started! Good memories. πŸ™‚

4 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale November 20, 2012 at 3:55 am

I never got into Twilight. So Robert Pattinson will forever remain Cedric Diggory in my mind! πŸ˜‰ Actually, I have a friend who is a dead ringer for him — so much so that when he’s home in Vancouver (where they filmed for quite some time), he gets stopped on the street ALL the time asking him for a picture and his autograph. He hates it. haha.
I LOVE THE IDEA OF CINEBISTRO!! Seriously amazing. I think it would be FAR too pricey for me too, but as a treat, it would be fabulous!!
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Personal Best

5 Charlie (The Runner Beans) November 20, 2012 at 5:29 am

I agree, I literally screamed in the cinema when ‘you know what’ first happened!! I was outraged! Then I started questioning myself and what I had read in the book!! That sounds like such a fun cinema to go to with friends. The cinema is now seriously expensive in London, it is over Β£12 =$20 just for a normal screening in a normal cinema!
Charlie (The Runner Beans) recently posted..Jamie’s 15 Min Meals

6 Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 20, 2012 at 5:41 am

I haven’t gone to see it yet, but I definitely will. However, I gotta say that I’m MORE excited about the next Hunger Games movie coming out. πŸ˜‰
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..20 Weeks … and a trip down memory lane.

7 Allison November 20, 2012 at 6:27 am

Haven’t seen it yet! We’re going to go this weekend, but didn’t have time. Maybe this week.
Allison recently posted..Friday confessions

8 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 20, 2012 at 6:55 am

I’ve been to a theater like that once here in Chicago, but several times in Charleston! I loved that one because the tickets were half price, I guess because they made enough off food and drinks? Plus the seats were amazing!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Tuesday Thoughts?

9 Glenneth November 20, 2012 at 7:18 am

saw breaking dawn part 2 opening night. we were all sitting in the theater yelling at the “twist”. OMG! what a great job by the writers and directors. i hope to see it again!
Glenneth recently posted..Thanksgiving Traditions: A Fun Survey

10 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 20, 2012 at 7:46 am

CineBistro sounds like such a cool concept! Food, drinks, and a movie equals an ideal combination in my book. πŸ™‚
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..What I Talk About When I Talk About Running Book Review

11 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope November 20, 2012 at 8:12 am

I don’t think we have any movie theaters where they serve food like that near me. I’m jealous! That is such a cool concept! I’d love to go to a place like that πŸ™‚
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Plain & Fancy Farm in Lancaster & Dating Anniversary Weekend!…

12 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 20, 2012 at 8:43 am

I’ve always wanted to try a theater like that – seems like so much fun! I wondered how the table situation worked out
Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) recently posted..Tuesday Topic: Have a Healthy Thanksgiving – 5 pieces of advice

13 Lindsey November 20, 2012 at 8:57 am

I loved and even when the twist ending was happened I did not realize it! I agree they did a great job!
Lindsey recently posted..One of my Favourite Days

14 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife November 20, 2012 at 9:08 am

i’m not a twilight fan but this idea of dinner and a movie at the theater is such an awesome idea! I love it! I need to open one of those around here! (:

15 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 20, 2012 at 9:23 am

I haven’t seen in yet! Now I’m even more intrigued with the surprise ending everyone keeps talking about.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..FreEDom: Back to Normal.

16 Amanda November 20, 2012 at 9:48 am

I didn’t even realize there was a twist ending on this one, we don’t have cable haha! Now I’m even more excited to see it, but I don’t think I’ll tell my Husband and let him get very confused in the theatre (he hasn’t read them) but I spoiled myself and looked it up (I have no patience and will often read the last chapter of books first just to make sure my fav character doesn’t die), so I can already tell it’ll freak him out.
Amanda recently posted..C25k Day 2

17 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats November 20, 2012 at 11:12 am

I had no interest in seeing this movie (I have not been a fan of the first three and stopped watching/caring) until you said there was a twist in the ending. Might have to check it out now! I love the theaters like this. They are definitely pricey and not an every movie trip kind of place but great for special nights and I’ve always thought the food was really good!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Thank God for short Work weeks!

18 Cher @ Weddicted November 20, 2012 at 11:30 am

Everyone in the theatre burst out laughing at the “surprise end.” Very relieving, but it also really was funny.
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Flowers: White wedding bouquets

19 natalie @ will jog for food November 20, 2012 at 11:49 am

I too was freaking out big time during that fight scene! I was thinking, “how in the he11 can this happen?!” But after all was said and done, I liked it πŸ™‚

Love those type of theaters! I went to one in Boca that is similar. You have reserved seats, free popcorn, and you can order “real” food. It’s definitely worth it to see movies like this, when you don’t want to be around a horde of screaming 14 year olds.
natalie @ will jog for food recently posted..Week 20 – Halfway There!

20 Gwen November 20, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I was screaming inside, and gasped pretty loudly when they wrapped up the twist. I agree with your thoughts! Sad it’s over!

21 ct cupcake November 20, 2012 at 12:02 pm

cinebistro sounds quite fun! Of course we just got our 1st “real” (read stadium seating and has more than 6 screens) in my town, so we’ll never see a cinebistro type theatre open.

I have to point out though that one of your sentences doesn’t quite make sense-.I thought the movie did great job story-wise interrupting the last chapter of the Twilight saga. Perhaps you meant Interpreting?
ct cupcake recently posted..Cooking the Books Part 2

22 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 20, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I love those restaurant/movie theater combos. They’re so much fun! You’re right though-definitely only for special occasions!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..The Holidays Are Upon Us!

23 Rebecca November 20, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I’ve never been a fan of twilight – so I’m not going to see the movie πŸ™‚ I did read about the twist ending. Seems like a good twist!

The Cinebistro sounds like so much fun! I wish we had one of those in Ottawa. Might make dinner and a movie actually happen around here πŸ™‚

24 kelly November 20, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Totally agree on the baby. Just CREEPY!! But the movie was SO good. The surprise ending had us on the edge of our seats and everyone in the theater was screaming NOOOOOOOOOO!!! So awesome! Now my friend is wondering if they will do a new series with Jacob and Renesmee.

25 Annette @FitnessPerks November 20, 2012 at 1:24 pm

It got me too! I think the casting is horrible, and agree that Renesmee was fabulous. The baby was super creepy. p.s. I just do not think Kristen Stewart has any talent whatsoever, so it drove me crazy the entire series.
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Becoming a Les Mills Instructor

26 Kristin November 20, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I was in a very interactive theater where everyone was applauding or gasping at the movie. Throughout the whole surprise scene I was shocked! I literally could not say a word and just watched thinking “omg.” And everyone clapped at the end!

Very bittersweet for it to be over. I liked the books better, but I was very happy with Breaking Dawn II.
Kristin recently posted..Pictures in the Park

27 Jill November 20, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Love the idea of a CineBistro! Perfect all-in-one date night!
Jill recently posted..Boo!

28 Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian November 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I usually wait for the DVD to come out…you have intrigued me.
Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian recently posted..Bodyweight 1200 Workout

29 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions November 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Oh man. Looks like I need to go see Breaking Dawn Part II. Although maybe I should actually re-read the book first and then go see the movie, since I honestly don’t remember much about the ending other than that I was pretty happy with how it all wrapped up. I really enjoyed reading the whole Twilight series over my Christmas Break three years ago but haven’t seen any of the movies since Eclipse (which I didn’t really like that much as a movie, anyway…which is why I stopped going to see the Twilight movies). Hmmm…
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Pure Michigan

30 Jessica November 20, 2012 at 3:17 pm

That twist definitely got me. I was about to walk out! I agree with you though it was a good one. My favorite of them all. I still hated the make up and I didn’t like the digital baby or what they did to Renesme to make her look older. Lame! I thought they did a good job of ending the saga though. And for the first time in all the movies, I felt some of the love I felt in the books. Glad you finally got a chance to see it!

31 Corrie @ Blurb Column November 20, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I was FREAKING OUT….that doesn’t happen in the book!!! Such a great movie, though!

32 Andrea November 20, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I just got back from seeing the movie! We saw it at AMC’s Fork and Screen which is basically the same idea. I had NO IDEA there was going to be a surprise twist. So I was horrified watching the movie. It literally made my stomach queasy. I kept thinking “this is so not part of the book!” Thank goodness it redeemed itself! And we thought the baby was creepy too!
Andrea recently posted..Book Review- Lucid

33 Sarah @ A Runners Heart November 21, 2012 at 1:36 am

I went and saw it at Movie Tavern which is similar, but I don’t think as pricey or fancy! lol I kept saying to my friend over and over…omg this is NOT in the book! I had not even heard there was supposed to be a twist, so I just couldn’t believe it!!! I agree the bay was pretty darn creepy and I think the “grown” Renesmee was kinda creepy too. I’m sad it’s over, but I like how they ended it. πŸ™‚
Sarah @ A Runners Heart recently posted..I’m Half Crazy! πŸ™‚

34 LizForADay November 21, 2012 at 3:12 am

To tell you the truth, I did not read this post because I was afraid it would be a spoiler for Twilight. It will be a couple of months before I get to see it and I don’t want to know what happened. πŸ™‚ You can tell me if it isn’t then I will come back and read. πŸ™‚
LizForADay recently posted..FD199 – Bali Volcano .. Crater Lake…Springs… Movie Site

35 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 22, 2012 at 8:22 am

Hold up, now I’m soooo curious to see this movie. I had no intentions of seeing it (let’s be honest, the movies aren’t that great), but I keep hearing people mention a surprise twist. I had the same thought as you: “How can it be a surprise if I read the book?” So now that I know it’s something different from the book, I really want to know what it is!
Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper recently posted..She’s A Skinny Minnie

36 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed November 27, 2012 at 9:26 am

I was avoiding this post because I was scared of spoilers, but I saw it last night and OMG!!!!! Got me soooooo good! We were all yelling in the theater haha. Overall loved the movie and loved what Bella showed Edward at the end!
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Burn off the Bird 5K Recap

37 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife November 29, 2012 at 6:38 am

My cousins and I saw the movie over Thanksgiving, and we had the exact same reaction that you did. I think the entire theater gasped when Aro and Carlisle had their “confrontation”. Then it kept getting worse and worse . . . and then it all made sense.
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..Wreathing