more ยป" />

Chili Cheese Sweet Potato Fries

by Meghann on November 19, 2012

Chili. Cheese. Fries.

Not your traditional chili cheese fries, but still just as amazing. I’ve actually been dreaming these up ever since I put the leftover chili away in the fridge last night.

At lunch time I made sweet potato fries (sweet potato cut into fry shapes, season with salt and pepper, and baked at 400 for 20 minutes) then topped them with heated up leftover chili and sprinkled with blue cheese (seriously digging the blue cheese and chili combo).

I need more chili cheese fries in my life. Especially ones that include sweet potato fries and blue cheese. :)

Clothes and Mud

I probably shouldn’t be admitting this, but do you remember the Pretty Muddy race I did last weekend? Well, after the race we all hosed off our dirty clothes and put them in a plastic bag so they wouldn’t mess up the car on the ride home.

PB100237.JPG

The original plan was to throw the muddy clothes in the washer as soon as I got home, but that definitely didn’t happen. They stayed in that plastic bag in my garage until Saturday, when I finally got around to doing laundry and throwing them in the wash. I did one round of the clothes and shoes in the washing machine on their own, then another with towels. I pulled them out of the dryer yesterday and this is what I found.

I mean, the white sports bra and socks definitely have that dingy look to them (and, yes, I was wearing un-matching socks), but overall the clothes seemed re-wearable and the shoes are almost spotless.

So, just a heads up, shoes and clothes aren’t ruined forever if you put them through a mud run. I mean, whites might not be the best idea, but shoes and dark clothing will be just fine.

What has been your experience with clothes and mud runs? Do you take everything home to wash or leave them in a dumpster?

And, speaking of races, here’s a link round-up of the Women’s Half Marathon on Sunday! If you ran the race and wrote a blog post, leave it in the comments and I’ll add it! :)

1 Rebecca November 19, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I have specific ‘mud shoes’ that I wear for muddy-style races. But after every race, they wash off just fine with a good hosing!

I wore regular running clothes for Warrior Dash and everything came out fine. My white socks were a bit dingy, but they eventually got back to normal. Next time = no white socks!

2 Michelle November 19, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Oh my goodness I can’t imagine how bad those clothes must have smelled… muddy and closed up in a plastic bag for a week? Ahhhhh. The shoes look pretty good. I have ran my shoes through the washing machine before after a muddy trail run and had no issues with them.

3 RunInBoise November 19, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I have not done a mud run, but I am on dusty trails often. I have a pair of white socks that still look dingy. I won’t wear anything light, other then those socks, when I do trails.

4 amy November 19, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I’ve definitely saved my clothes… not the socks though. I took them home and hosed the crap out of them in the yard before putting them through the wash… and even then there was a load of sediment in the washer BUT the clothes weren’t bad! Warrior dashes donate the shoes so I did leave them behind…

5 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale November 19, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I love modern technology. Can you imagine how long it would have taken to get those clothes looking like that in the olden days (if at all!) when they were usually out working the land and getting muddy all the time?! Well, I suppose they wouldn’t have wanted them as clean, but still!! The fact remains — I love not having to was my clothes by hand! ;)

6 Hillary November 19, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I’ve never done a mud run, but I did a mud volleyball tournament once. I just wore “throwaway” clothes and tossed them as soon as I got home!

7 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer November 19, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I’ve been reading a blog I recently found, and she refashions old clothes. For the whites, she dyes them with fabric dye from the craft or fabric store. I tried it with a old white sweater and it came out great!

8 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 19, 2012 at 8:06 pm

When I saw the title, I thought you went out to eat! What a great idea to make your own chili cheese fries, and I bet these were way healthier! haha

9 Megan November 19, 2012 at 8:22 pm

My boyfriend did Rugged Maniac, I washed his clothes and sneakers with oxy clean– came out good as new.

10 Lauren November 19, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I ran the warrior dash this past summer for the first time. I bought a cheap sports bra and shorts from walmart thinking they’d have to be thrown away but after washing them they were perfectly clean so I still have them!

11 Sarah November 19, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I did my first mud run about a month ago and I was told over and over again that I would have to throw away my shoes afterward. The problem was that I only had the one pair! I threw them in the washing machine and they came out looking better than ever! Unfortunately the same could not be said for the t-shirt and shorts that I wore. Those had to be thrown out.

12 Jamie @ StudioEats November 19, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Those fries looks awesome. What a great, satisfying and fun idea.

13 Jacqueline November 19, 2012 at 10:27 pm

I never thought to put bleu cheese in chili, but I bet it’s good.
I usually put my mud run clothes through 3 wash cycles and I can’t tell they were saturated in mud.
I duck tape my shoes on so it’s easier to cut the shoe laces off. But other than that everything is ready to play in the mud again.

14 Carissa @Fit2Flex November 19, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Thanks for sharing my blog recap. I appreciate the “link love”. I have kept some of my “mud run” clothes. I find it’s not the mud, but the sticks and leaves that made things like socks unwearable. I have a designated pair of “mud run” shoes.

And I’d like to say I wish the “muddy buddy” race would come back. That was my fave mud run!

15 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats November 19, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Blue cheese is the best! I use it on pizza and its fantastic. I usually pitch socks after a mud run bc they never feel the same but most other things I try to salvage.

16 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 19, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I think the Canadian version of chili cheese fries is poutine (aka fries with cheese and gravy) and I love making healthy versions of it at home! You get the flavour but you don’t feel all greasy and gross afterwards.

17 Jina November 19, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Wow! Those chili cheese fries sound awesome!

Here’s my Women’s Half Marathon race recap: http://www.behold-the-turtle.com/2012/11/womens-half-marathon-st-petersburg.html

18 Meghann November 20, 2012 at 7:07 am

Thanks! I added it to the list!

19 Jina November 21, 2012 at 2:16 am

Thank you! I appreciate it.

20 LizForADay November 20, 2012 at 8:14 am

I haven’t done a mud run yet, but I would love to do one in the future. As for the clothes, even if they are dingy this time, they should still be good for the next mud run. That just proves getting dirty can be fun. :)

21 Meghan @ After the Ivy League November 20, 2012 at 9:37 am

My clothes survived my mud run also! Even my sneakers (I used an old pair), after a couple runs through the washing machine everything was good as new. Mud runs are so much fun, I’m hoping to do another one this spring!

22 Emily N November 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Omg. those fries look AMAZING.

23 Genna November 21, 2012 at 1:22 pm
24 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 22, 2012 at 8:20 am

How have I never thought to put chili on sweet potatoes??? Thanks for the idea!