more ยป" />

Lincoln

by Meghann on November 17, 2012

Derek and I saw Lincoln last night.

Lincoln-Movie-Poster.jpg

For opening night, we were both a little surprised there was only one showing in the 7:00-8:30-ish range (at 7:45) and that showing was in the “shoebox theater” (I guess Twilight was taking up all of the larger theaters of the complex in its opening night). We walked in 10 minutes before the movie started and the place was packed. The only free seats were in the first and second rows. We managed to find two seats together on the edge of the second row and saw other patrons be turned away when the theater reached capacity. I guess AMC wasn’t expecting huge crowds for Lincoln?

cn_image-size_-s-lincoln-movie-trailer.jpg

Now, for the movie, the costumes, the sets, the acting, the directing… those were fabulous. I wouldn’t be surprised if Daniel Day-Lewis or Tommy Lee Jones earn another round of oscar nods and Joseph Gordon-Levitt continues to impress me with his diversity in roles and his ability to look swoon worthy with a mustache.

joseph-gordon-levitt-in-lincoln_612x408.jpg

hubba. hubba.

However, the movie was dialogue heavy and painfully slow. There were a few points where I had to pinch myself to make sure I stayed awake. It’s one of those movie I’m glad I saw in the theater, because if I had been watching it at home there’s no way I could have forced myself to pay attention and I would have found ways to distract myself on the computer, doing dishes, cleaning up, etc. or just plain falling asleep.

I did enjoy the history of it all. As soon as the movie ended, I got my smartphone out and started researching the life of Lincoln and what really happened. The movie focuses specifically on the passing of the 13th amendment and Lincoln’s death. There’s so much more to Lincoln’s life where my memory was kind of fuzzy about from history class, I’m inspired to pick up a Lincoln biography for my next book to help fill in the blanks.

Did you see Lincoln? What did you think?

In my search for awesome homemade protein bars, I made a batch of The Fitness Couple’s Pumpkin Protein Bars yesterday per the recommendation of a reader.

The texture of the bars reminded me of protein mug cakes or protein pancakes. They were spongy and not terribly sweet. The bars really weren’t for me (I wouldn’t make them again), but if you like the spongy texture of the mug cakes or protein pancakes, then you might be a fan.

We made burgers and parsnip and carrot fries for dinner.

And stopped at Yogurtology after the movie for dessert.

PicsArt_1353164273805.jpg

(p.s. all the holiday flavors are out! Pumpkin and Egg Nog and Gingerbread – oh my!)

This morning I took advantage of my planned rest day and slept in before making some eggs for breakfast.

The pumpkin bars were much better with almond butter slathered on top. ๐Ÿ™‚

Do you know what today is?!?!

It’s my little brother’s birthday!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEN!!

I can’t believe it’s been two years since we celebrated his 21st birthday at Pat O’Brien’s.

By the way, EPIC night. Check it out HERE.

And, yes, that is my eighty year old grandmother drinking from the giant hurricane.

Good times. Good times. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Victoria (District Chocoholic) November 17, 2012 at 10:26 am

OMG your grandmother. That is awesome.

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 17, 2012 at 10:26 am

Happy Birthday to your brother!!

I’m not big into history but I am kind of interested in seeing Lincoln. I guess maybe it’s that whole growing up in IL and going to see his house in Springfield as a kid or something?
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Apple Muffin Recipe

3 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale November 17, 2012 at 10:41 am

I think that my life would be very different with a grandma like yours!!
Happy birthday to your brother!!
Your eggs look extra yummy today!!
I apologize for the excessive use of exclamation points. haha
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..โ€œFavourite all of the things!โ€ Friday

4 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 17, 2012 at 10:41 am

haha that pic of your grandma is awesome!
Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) recently posted..Link me up before you go go โ€“ 11.16.12

5 [email protected] November 17, 2012 at 10:52 am

I haven’t seen it, but I really want to!
[email protected] recently posted..Doinโ€™ the jive

6 Courtney November 17, 2012 at 11:19 am

High five, grandma!
Courtney recently posted..Peanut Butter or Bust!

7 Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy November 17, 2012 at 11:47 am

I am glad I read this, I was going to go see “Lincoln” tonight, but maybe I’ll wait until it comes out on DVD, that way…if I fall asleep and drool, it’ll be waaaaay less embarrassing.
Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy recently posted..The Best Laid Plans

8 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 17, 2012 at 11:57 am

I got so confused when I first heard that there was another Lincoln movie coming out this year…especially since the first movie was “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter”. What’s with all the Lincoln films this year?
Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper recently posted..Sheโ€™s A Skinny Minnie

9 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin November 17, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Today must be a big birthday day because I know about 5 different people born today! Weird. Also, I was thinking of seeing that movie but had the same reservations that I would be bored. I’ll be sure to see it during the day so I don’t risk falling asleep ๐Ÿ™‚

10 Christine @ BookishlyB November 17, 2012 at 12:26 pm

My husband wants to see it, but I’m using my power of veto. It’s superrrrrr long!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..An Infestation

11 Cher @ Weddicted November 17, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Check out Oh She Glow’s toffee chocolate chunk bars (you’d have to alter them to make them higher in protein) but omg, soo good. Perfect texture in my opinion! Crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside.
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Flowers: White wedding bouquets

12 Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food November 17, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I haven’t seen it and don’t really have plans to. I get bored with movies that don’t have much action or suspense. But I would still pick it over Twilight! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food recently posted..Frosty Morning

13 Michelle November 17, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I thought Lincoln was amazing and was completely riveted by the dialogue. I loved feeling like we were RIGHT THERE when they passed the 13th amendment — and there was so much political corruption going on behind the scenes. Guess that just proves I’m a big nerd ๐Ÿ™‚
Michelle recently posted..Saturday Morning Motivation

14 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 17, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Clearly, your grandmother is fantastic.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Guest Post: Brittany

15 Lindsey F. November 17, 2012 at 8:19 pm

My 91 year old grandmother always asks me to bring her beer when I go to visit- haha

Are you cutting/limiting carbs?

16 Meghann November 17, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I’m cutting back, but definitely not cutting out. For instance, I just had pizza for dinner tonight. ๐Ÿ™‚

17 Lisa November 19, 2012 at 8:16 am