more ยป" />

All Grip

by Meghann on November 16, 2012

Remember when I was complaining about my hands after CrossFit on Wednesday? Umm… clearly I didn’t know what I was talking about then because – after today’s workout? – ouch. It’s going to be a couple of days before I’ll be able to grip anything tightly again (TWSS?).

20121116_074733.jpg

Today’s WOD was heavy on the grips. Step-ups with dumbbells, ring rows, rope climbs, toe to bars… grip. grip. grip. You know you’re in deep when you release your hand from the bar, only to have the hand stay stuck. Fun, but brutal.

My new favorite move is the toe-to-bar. My abs are still sore from Wednesday’s WOD, so this one was extra fun. Your main goal was to hang from the bar in hanging position (just as you would hang before the start of a pull up), then use your core to bring your toes to the bar. It reminded me of something we would do playing on the jungle gym at recess as kids. It definitely requires some flexibility since you’re folding into yourself (and some core strength), but it’s also fun to feel like you’re a kid again.

A new not-so-favorite move is the robe climb.

20121116_074913.jpg

Umm.. yeah, I couldn’t quite nail that. In my head I was comparing it to the aerial silks I’ve had the pleasure of climbing in the past (I really needed to do that again – so much fun!), but it wasn’t even close to being the same. First of all, the rope burns your hand and it’s all upper-body strength and my upper-body is just not there yet. I attempted one climb, but didn’t get too far. Instead, I stuck with the given alternative (single ring rows) for the bulk of the WOD.

Total time for 7 rounds of:

• 7 single ring rows
  • 7 push-ups with claps (or my version – which was more like the hands criss crossing while in the air)
  • 7 t2b (toe to bar)

20121116_074755.jpg

The “25” was my dumbbell weight for the step-ups during the skill set at the beginning.

Man, I’m glad that WOD is over. At least I know I’m building up some lovely callouses to protect my hands in the future. ๐Ÿ™‚

I re-fueled after CrossFit with a bowl of oats.

In the mix:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • scoop of vanilla whey protein
  • raisins
  • cinnamon
  • chia seeds

On top:

• walnuts
  • pecans
  • almond butter
  • apple
  • cinnamon

A little something to make you smile this Friday.

I die! I die! I know the video is old, but Derek just showed it to me on Wednesday and I kept watching it on repeat – HILARIOUS! Here’s the copy that goes with the video:

These people were always finding water all over their pool deck and furniture every time they came home after being away for a few hours. They thought the neighborhood kids were watching for them to leave, and using the pool. However, they could never catch them doing it. So they set up their video cam and left. This is what they discovered.

I always wondered if I taped Maddie when I wasn’t home, what I would discover her doing. Probably just sleeping on her favorite spot on the couch, but it’s fun to play make believe. In my head she knows how to turn the music on and has a big ole dance party in the living room. Maddie can break it down when she wants to. ๐Ÿ˜‰

What do you think your pets are up to when you’re not home?

1 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer November 16, 2012 at 10:10 am

I think if I taped my dogs when I was gone, I would see nothing but hours of them sleeping on the couch! That is all they do!! Do you think Crossfit is more for people who already workout or could someone who wants to start working out, go too?
Sloane @ Life Food and Beer recently posted..Our Honeymoon Part 1

2 Meghann November 16, 2012 at 10:27 am

It’s definitely for people who want to start working out too. They offer introduction classes for novices, which I would highly recommended if you’re a true newbie. My class is made up of people who are from all different levels and the WODs can be modified to accomodate anyone’s skill set. Like the single ring rows today instead of the rope climb or the option to merely lift your knees to hip level if you were unable to touch your toes to the bar.

3 Megan November 17, 2012 at 10:32 am

It’s definitely for all ability levels. My husband (who had formerly been active but not so much in the past several years) went from doing virtually no exercise for crossfitting 4-5x a week in about 2 weeks.

4 NYC Fit GIrl November 16, 2012 at 10:14 am

hahah that video is great! My hands are in bad shape thanks to crossfit. My toes to bar is so sad it’s more like a toe to waist. lol
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..Did I really just do that?

5 Meghann November 16, 2012 at 10:38 am

That’s about what mine started looking like at round 4.

6 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 16, 2012 at 10:21 am

Ahhh, rope climbing reminds me of elementary school gym class! We used to have a ropes unit, but I could never climb to the top and touch the ceiling, which was a huge deal as a 3rd grader. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Modified Two-Ingredient Pancake

7 Meghann November 16, 2012 at 10:37 am

Everyone was referring to climbing ropes at school today, but I don’t ever remember actually climbing one. I remember watching movies/ television shows where they did, but I don’t ever remember actually doing it at school.

8 Silvia @ skinny jeans food November 16, 2012 at 10:23 am

you have no idea…… Maddie is wearing your bra, opening a beer and watches Real housewives of Miami…

9 Meghann November 16, 2012 at 10:36 am

hahaha – beer? I think she’s making herself a martini.

10 Mary @foodandfunontherun November 16, 2012 at 10:33 am

I about died when Derek sent me that video Wednesday! Marcus and I were laughing so hard. I loved it!

11 Meghann November 16, 2012 at 10:35 am

The first thing I said when I saw it “That dog reminds me on Winnie. We NEED to send it to Mary and Marcus!” ๐Ÿ™‚

12 Michelle November 16, 2012 at 10:37 am

I agree that video is hilarious but highly doubt it was set up with the owners not home. It wouldn’t be shaking if it was set up to record when no one is home. It looks like someone is holding the camera

13 Meghann November 16, 2012 at 10:40 am

Oh, totally agree. I still thought it was a funny story that went with the video, which is why I included it. I find it hard to believe the stories that go with about 95% of videos or photos that go viral, but that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy the stories anyway.

14 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 16, 2012 at 10:40 am

I do not even want to think about what my dog does when I’m not home. I’m sure a videotape of that would be hilarious!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Crown Of The Continent

15 Dori November 16, 2012 at 10:42 am

That dog water slide video is HILARIOUS!! He is having the time of his life! That just brightened my day, I needed that. As for wondering what your dog does while you’re out, most likely sleeping. We used to have a Santana-cam set up in my brother’s house and all day long I’d watch that little girl sleep, get up, yawn, switch positions, sleep, switch positions, walk away, come back, sleep. I have some great stills of her passed out in funny positions. The best ones are where she is wearing a dress too.
Dori recently posted..SPECIAL PRICE: 2013 Richmond Marathon & Half Marathon (Ends 11/15)

16 Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food November 16, 2012 at 10:56 am

Such a funny video! Thanks for posting your WOD. I would love to belong to a cross fit box someday but it is just not going to happen right now. So I like to take inspiration from others who post their WOD. I can usually find some way to to the same things at home or at the gym.
Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food recently posted..Frosty Morning

17 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 16, 2012 at 11:10 am

That is HILARIOUS!!! My brother has a 1 year old golden retriever and I keep telling him to set up a camera to see what she does (they live in a 2 bedroom condo so she’s in there all day except when the dog walker comes). I am DYING to know what she does…
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..PicMonkey Tutorial

18 Kathleen November 16, 2012 at 11:19 am

Hey Meghann,
I just came across your blog, it’s great!! I am also running the St Pete Women’s half this weekend, and also have down a 1:45 predicted finishing time….definitely not happening for me either! I’m probably going to go for more like 2 hrs.
Good luck this weekend!!
Kathleen
Kathleen recently posted..Half Marathon Time! (almost)

19 Meghann November 16, 2012 at 11:23 am

Thanks, Kathleen! Good luck to you, too!

20 Colleen November 16, 2012 at 11:33 am

Love it! We thought about taping our dog and cat a few years ago. They were always doing something interesting when we were home, coudn’t imagine what they did when we weren’t.

21 Chelsea @ CardioandCocktails November 16, 2012 at 11:42 am

I love that video of the dogs. I have a feeling that I know what a video like that at my house would have looked like yesterday… In the morning I noticed a large branch in the backyard and when I got home that evening, it was laying parallel right in front of the back door. I’m pretty sure that our pup probably spent some time trying to figure out how to get her “prize” inside and eventually gave up. Girlfriend loves her sticks lol
Chelsea @ CardioandCocktails recently posted..Something Old and Something New

22 Jean November 16, 2012 at 11:49 am

Yikes, that rope climb looks hard. I remember I used to be awesome at those when I did gymnastics (I was 8 years old, mind you), and so the next time I had to do one, maybe five years later, I was really cocky about it. Turns out I couldn’t climb even the bottom part! So embarrassing.
Jean recently posted..3 Miles and Texas Row

23 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 16, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Bahaha, imagine being the owners of that dog and watching that footage for the first time? I would have been on the floor dying of laughter.

24 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats November 16, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Omg I could never do the rope climb, zero upper body strength. I need to step up my game lol
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Tour de Museums

25 Belle @ Rebelle Fitness November 16, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Ugh I hate when my grip is destroyed – have you guys done farmer’s carries yet? Those are rough on forearms!
Belle @ Rebelle Fitness recently posted..Two Hundo Club.

26 Meghann November 16, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I have not, but that’s a fun name!

27 Megan November 16, 2012 at 5:43 pm

ahh agree! farmers carrys kill my hands!

28 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 16, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Begley stays in a crate but he does the cutest thing. As soon as we get home to let him out he is so excited but can’t bother to come great us until he goes and “rescues” all of his toys from the crate. It’s adorable!
Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) recently posted..Link me up before you go go โ€“ 11.16.12

29 Amy November 16, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Rope climbs are all about the J-Hook. Bring the rope underneath one foot, and pull the slack up over the top of that foot with the other foot. Then step on it and push up with your legs. Once you get that down, rope climbs will become SO MUCH EASIER I swear!

30 Christine @ BookishlyB November 16, 2012 at 5:59 pm

We leave an 8 year old Golden and a 2 year old lab out ALL day while we’re at work. Nothing is ever destroyed but considering the running around they do while we’re home I can only imagine the craziness while we’re gone. Or they just sleep and save it for us at night!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..An Infestation

31 LizForADay November 17, 2012 at 6:23 am

OMG that video is hilarious. I would not believe unless I saw it with my own eyes. Thanks for the laugh. ๐Ÿ™‚
LizForADay recently posted..FD195 – Lotus Blossom Ubud Continuation & New Day

32 Charlie (therunnerbeans) November 18, 2012 at 7:35 am

I hate the rope climb too!! I used to nail it, now I cant do it at all!
Charlie (therunnerbeans) recently posted..Jamie’s 15 Min Meals