more ยป" />

Not Happening

by Meghann on November 15, 2012

Good Morning!

Maddie and I enjoyed some of the incredible weather we’re having lately with a lovely 3.5 mile run around the block this morning. We ran a path we haven’t run in a while and made a few doggie friends along the way. There was a french bull dog down the street that really wanted to grab Maddie’s attention, but Maddie would have none of it. She ran by with her nose high up in the air and didn’t look back. She was running! Clearly that meant there was no time to sniff butts or play “whose bark is the loudest.” She was on a mission. ๐Ÿ™‚

We came back and did some rolling and stretching (Maddie has perfected her downward dog/ upward dog positions).

A big bowl of kibble for Maddie, a pumpkin protein smoothie for me.

• pumpkin
  • plain chobani
  • vanilla protein powder
  • ice
  • pumpkin spice
  • peanut butter
  • milk

IMG_3696.jpg

I received my final instructions for the Women’s Half Marathon last night. I think I may have been a tad ambitious when I predicted my finish time during registration last March.

Screen shot 2012-11-14 at 9.28.25 PM.png

1:45? Ha! That will not be happening this Sunday.

The Women’s Half Marathon course is almost identical to the St. Pete Rock ‘n’ Roll course I ran – and PR’d at! – last February. For the St. Pete Rock ‘n’ Roll I was doing some pretty intense speed training with the goal of a 1:45 finish time. It ended up being one of those perfect races where everything lined up beautifully (great weather, empty course, awesome running buddy, positive mental attitude, etc.) and I ran the half in 1:45:39 (beating my previous half marathon PR by 7 minutes).

IMG_7058.jpg

I had hoped for a repeat performance at the Women’s Half, but my lackluster attitude towards training mixed with wedding planning, recovery from Miami 70.3, and pure laziness means that I’m not prepared for that. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing – it is what it is.

I know I just gave the speech “not every race has to be a PR” not to long ago, but I wanted to make it clear I’m sticking with that attitude because it still rings true. Do I feel guilty that I set a 1:45 goal when I registered for this race back in March and will now probably not hit it? Not in the least. There’s no way I could have predicted how burnt out I would feel on speed training, just as there’s no way I could have predicted anything else in life.

I’ll be running this race with a couple of girlfriends and we plan to enjoy every minute of it. Our new goals are to not take ourselves too seriously and try to come in under 2:00 hours. The awesome thing about this race is that it’s all-female and very “Girl Power!” driven. Heck, what I’m looking forward to the most is the necklace that comes with our medal at the end. Bling. Bling.

Is anyone else running a race this weekend? Do you have a goal in mind?

1 Courtney November 15, 2012 at 10:00 am

I’m running a Thanksgiving morning Half here in ATL, and I’m approaching it with the same attitude! A beautiful morning to have some fun running!
Courtney recently posted..Cleaning and Snatching

2 Michelle November 15, 2012 at 10:05 am

I completely agree that not every race has to be a PR. But one thing that is annoying is when runners who are clearly not aiming for their predicted time still line up as if they were going to run that pace. Having to run around the slower runners that lined up in a faster corral than what they are actually running is not fun
Michelle recently posted..Travel Thursdayโ€“Strasbourg, France

3 Kathy November 15, 2012 at 10:06 am

WE (the entire family) are taking in the Thanksgiving Day 5k Turkey Trot. That’s it..nothing major but should be a lot of FUN!!

4 Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food November 15, 2012 at 10:07 am

What a great attitude! Just have fun with it! And that pumpkin smoothie looks great. I have tried a couple different ones that I have seen but they all have banana in them. I can’t get over that pumpkin and banana combo….ew. But pumpkin and peanut butter may be just the ticket! Thanks for sharing!!
Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food recently posted..Plan To Be Surprised

5 Rebecca November 15, 2012 at 10:08 am

1:45?!?! howww howw??

Man, I watched the 1:45ish paced people go by me during the Ottawa Army Run – no idea how people can run that fast for that long ๐Ÿ™‚ 2:29 was pretty quick for me!
Rebecca recently posted..I was hackedโ€ฆ..

6 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 15, 2012 at 10:20 am

I’ve definitely learned to go with the flow on races, I think it makes the experience so much more fun! I haven’t “raced” a race with high expectations since march, and with my injury I think it will be a little while!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

7 Bethany November 15, 2012 at 10:59 am

I am running the Marine Corps Turkey Trot 10K on Saturday at Quantico Marine Corps Base in Virginia. I ran the MCM 10K a few weeks ago, so I am pretty much hoping to do the same if not better, but frankly I’ve stopped caring about pace so much ๐Ÿ™‚
Bethany recently posted..Thursday Things

8 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 15, 2012 at 11:02 am

No race for me but good luck to you!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) recently posted..Food for a day โ€“ 11.14.12

9 Maureen November 15, 2012 at 11:06 am

I ran a half marathon back in September that I trained to run in 2:10, but I ended up being sick the week of the race and knew that meeting that goal wasn’t possible. Once I made the decision to not go for 2:10, I felt a lot better about the race and I still was able to PR. Good luck this weekend! I’m running the Philly Marathon on Sunday and my goal is to just finish.
Maureen recently posted..Do As I Say, Not As I Do

10 Caroline Calcote November 15, 2012 at 11:13 am

There will actually be men running the Women’s Half. They don’t exclude men, but it’s all geared towards women. Last year it was really funny to see the men running in the pink women’s cut race shirts ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Caroline Calcote November 15, 2012 at 11:14 am

Oh, and the men can’t place.

12 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale November 15, 2012 at 11:14 am

I’m totally of the opinion that people should pick their “trump” race. For some, they might be racing a 5km one weekend and a 10km the next — sure, you can give your all at both, but you need to prioritize one.
We used to face this ALL the time when I was a competitive rower and needed to race multiple times a day. Pick where your greatest efforts will go, and do your best with the rest.
I don’t think that you regret the effort you put into your 70.3 for a single second, if that means sacrificing a few minutes in your half, I commend you for making the acknowledgement and doing your best anyway!!
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..30 months

13 Genelle November 15, 2012 at 11:42 am

Oh my gosh, I’d love to run a half marathon in 1:45! I think even if you have a lackluster attitude towards training, you might surprise yourself. Good Luck!
Genelle recently posted..Bootcamp Orientation

14 Ericka @ The Sweet Life November 15, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Good luck!!! Running the Philly Marathon on Sunday…yikes! ๐Ÿ™‚
Ericka @ The Sweet Life recently posted..Cardio Junkie Rehab

15 Annette @FitnessPerks November 15, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I think it’s all good to just approach a race with whatever goes goes. Usually we surprise ourselves ๐Ÿ˜‰
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Super Food: Pomegranate

16 Briana November 15, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Hi Meghann!

I’m running the Philly Marathon this weekend – since I ran the Mount Desert Island Marathon on 10/12 and the Maine Marathon on 9/30, I thought for sure I would crush Philly and probably PR. Looks like that isn’t going to happen since I can count how many runs I’ve done on one hand since my last marathon…oops! I’m totally OK with it, though, and I’m sure it will be a way better experience without stressing about time! I also find that I often surprise myself when I don’t have a goal in mind…we’ll see! Congrats on the 1:45 PR — amazing!!!

17 Beth November 15, 2012 at 2:02 pm

That’s exactly where I am in terms of running too. I was going to shoot for a PR at the Holiday Halfathon but I don’t think I’m quite there right now. Good luck this weekend! Wish I could go cheer you guys on but family duty calls.
Beth recently posted..Thankful Thursday

18 Katie @ Year Of Katie November 15, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I’m so jealous that you and Maddie are the world’s best running partners. I want my little pup to go on runs with me! How do you train her to run with you? I know Jack’s have a ton of energy, but was she always good about staying focused and not running all over the place when you took her with you?

I’d love to see a post about this, haha…
Katie @ Year Of Katie recently posted..How I Switched Jobs Without Becoming A Hot Mess

19 Meghann November 15, 2012 at 2:43 pm

There really wasn’t any training – she’s a natural born runner who just wants to run (and not smell the roses). Trust me, she’s totally different on walks (she sniffs everything!), but for some reason on runs she’s just really into it. I’m sorry – I wish I had the secret!

20 NYC Fit GIrl November 15, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Sounds like a fun race! Good Luck!
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..Did I really just do that?

21 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run November 15, 2012 at 2:34 pm

The charm is on the medal but the necklace doesn’t come with it. Tho, they have booths after the race were you can buy a chain for the charm for $10, I think.

Have fun at the race! I’m skipping it this year in favor of the Space Coast half next weekend. ๐Ÿ™‚
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..American Horror Story Asylum in Two Minutes (Episode: I am Anne Frank, Pt. 2)

22 Meghann November 15, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Thanks for the heads up and good luck at Space Coast! I meant to run that race this year, but it just wasn’t in the budget. ๐Ÿ™‚

23 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 15, 2012 at 3:50 pm

As much as I love pumpkin-flavored anything, for some reason I’m convinced I wouldn’t really dig a pumpkin smoothie. No idea why! Maybe I just need to try it out and find out for certain.
Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper recently posted..Italian Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

24 Emily N November 15, 2012 at 3:52 pm

like you said… not every race has to be a PR… and who knows? you might surprise yourself.
Emily N recently posted..Sick and Taking it Easy

25 beka November 15, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I’ll see you there! I had planned for this race to be my PR race (by at least 20 minutes – Go big or Go home right?) until I hurt myself. And now my goal is to just finish. I’ll be happy if I come in around 2:15-2:30. ughhhhhhh.
Possibly setting RnR as my new PR race.
beka recently posted..Just Like the Picture…

26 Mary November 15, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Enjoy every race! They are all a new experience and why do we race at all if we can’t have some fun? I may never set a new PR (although I still hope to!) but every time I try to enjoy the experience, the course, and the friends I am with at the time. Good luck on that half, but most important have a GREAT day and just be thankful you are able to be out there running!!!!

27 LizForADay November 16, 2012 at 8:25 am

There is just something about PR’s. Even when you (I mean me) say it does not matter, it kind of does. I am sure you will do well. ๐Ÿ™‚ 1:45, you must be a speed demon. ๐Ÿ™‚ I say that cause I am super slow.
LizForADay recently posted..FD193 – Vacation Tooth Ache Drama in Ubud Bali

28 Katie November 16, 2012 at 9:33 am

I think its great that you are focusing on having a good time at the half! Keep up the good work!
Katie recently posted..How You Doinโ€™?

29 Ashley @ This Is The Place November 17, 2012 at 6:05 am

Have fun!

But do consider giving 1:45 a try. I was in the same boat you’re in last weekend at Richmond and I went for it anyways…came in less than 3min from my goal (for the full!). You might surprise yourself!

Turkey Trot with the fam this weekend…should be a good time!
Ashley @ This Is The Place recently posted..Richmond Marathon: A Big Fat PR!

30 Lynn October 9, 2013 at 10:57 pm

How much of each ingredient to put? This smoothie looks really yummy! Thanks!