more ยป" />

Wedding: Bridal Shape-Up Update

by Meghann on November 14, 2012

It’s been a month since I first posted about my “Bridal Shape-Up” plan, so I thought it would be fun to fill you in with a little update.

Screen shot 2012-10-10 at 1.19.55 PM.png

First of all, I have to say I’m feeling good. Even if I don’t look different, I feel stronger and a little more energized all around.

I didn’t put myself on a “diet” for this plan, but I have started to be a little more conscious of what goes into my body. For instance, I’ve been opting for eggs in the morning instead of cereal lately and I’m trying to plan my meals around the protein/veggies instead of carbs. I’m eating less pizza and less sandwiches and trying to eat more meat and salads. I’m not perfect all the time (traveling makes it a lot more difficult), but I am putting in the effort.

Going into this I knew dessert and sugar were my biggest weakness. Lord knows I haven’t given up dessert, but I’m not having it every night either. We put a temporary hold on buying ice cream for the house. If we really want ice cream, we can go down the street for a cone of it, but usually we’re too lazy/ cheap to make the effort.

Snacks have been the hardest thing to figure out. I’m so tired of nuts at this point. I was researching homemade protein bars on pinterest, and I think i found a few recipes to play with. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Help!

That whole half ironman thing really threw me for a loop last month. I cut back on everything the week leading up to it, then again on the week that followed. I’m just now starting to find my groove again and plan to stick with the 2 days of swimming, 3 days of running, and 3 days of CrossFit per week. I think that’s the perfect mix of strength and cardio without going overboard on either.

I’ve really been enjoying CrossFit. Just this morning my CrossFit coach made a comment on how my body was already starting to “tighten up.” I loved that she used the words “tighten up” to acknowledge the improvement instead of saying I looked “skinnier,” “have lost weight,” etc. Tightening up is exactly what I’m trying to achieve here so having her say that made me smile and know i’m doing something right.

(post-CrossFit photo complete with crazy hair, awkward face, and sweaty clothes – sorry!)

Since 10/17 I’ve lost three pounds, lost an inch in my waist, lost half an inch around my hips, and gained half an inch in both biceps. Last week I wore a pair of jeans for the first time in months (p.s. I hate jeans – really, why are they so popular?) and was surprised how well they fit. They weren’t too big and not too tight – they were just right.

What I’m really looking for is definition in my arms/ upper body and I’m starting to see it there, too. I did Pretty Muddy on Saturday and couldn’t believe how toned my arms looked already in a lot of those photos. It has only been a month, but the changes are definitely happening.

We have a little more than 2 months until the wedding. When I’m home for Thanksgiving, I’m going to take my dress to a seamstress to start the process of having it altered. This is where things are going to get tricky since I will still want to work on “tightening” but won’t need to necessarily lose any more inches. I’m still not 100% sure how this will work – any suggestions?

1 Grace @ Grace Dishes November 14, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Congratulations on your results! You look incredibly toned and fit.

I’m super surprised you don’t like jeans. I LOVE jeans if I find one that fits right. Jeans shopping can definitely be a nightmare though. I give you that ๐Ÿ™‚
Grace @ Grace Dishes recently posted..Thanksgiving plans…

2 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 14, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Woohoo for progress! (I’m actually wearing that same Champion/Target sports bra right now–so comfortable!) And yes, when I saw the Pretty Muddy pictures, I noticed how toned your arms look. Awesome! ๐Ÿ™‚
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Which One Doesnโ€™t Belong?

3 Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food November 14, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Yay for progress!! All I have to say about the dress is get it to fit you as you are now. I have heard too many sad stories of ladies who had it tailored smaller because they thought they would be, and then they weren’t. Oh so sad. Plus, it seems to me that you don’t have any inches to loose. You look very fit to me! =)
Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food recently posted..Would You Rather?? Wednesday! #3

4 Kasandra Raux November 14, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Congratulations on your results – you look amazing! Keep it up. I loved your comment about you’re only human and not perfect. It’s really refreshing to hear (read). I am trying to be more conscious of what I am putting into my body… so, thanks for the inspiration/motivation.
Kasandra Raux recently posted..Wordless Wednesday (aka Motivation to Get You Through the Hump)

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 14, 2012 at 2:37 pm

omg I HATE jeans. Pants in general other than yoga pants. They’re just not made for women who carry their weight in their abdomen. So uncomfortable. Lol and I need to do what you’re doing because I’ve seen zero progress over the past month and I’ve even been tracking calories.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAWโ€“A Case of the Mondays

6 Dori November 14, 2012 at 2:39 pm

It is awesome how you’re already seeing changes. I’m with you, I hate jeans. That’s what we wear to work and every day I have a little anxiety at the thought of putting them on.
Dori recently posted..Should NYRR CEO Mary Wittenberg Be Fired?

7 natalie @ will jog for food November 14, 2012 at 2:58 pm

You look great!

Snacks can be hard, I usually do everything that’s on your list. I like the combo of string cheese & fruit. Or whole grain crackers with a little PB.
natalie @ will jog for food recently posted..Tasting Trader Joeโ€™s

8 Belle @ Rebelle Fitness November 14, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Keep up the great work! You will continue to see great results. And I agree, jeans are so overrated!
Belle @ Rebelle Fitness recently posted..Great Expectations.

9 Chelsea @ CardioandCocktails November 14, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Looking good! You’re making me want to start the search for a new CrossFit box again!
Chelsea @ CardioandCocktails recently posted..Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes

10 Maddie November 14, 2012 at 3:34 pm

OMG don’t you love that bra!?

You look great! I just started doing TurboFire in prep for my June wedding – here’s to fit chick brides!!

11 Erin November 14, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Awesome progress! But I love my jeans! LOL That is how I measure my progress, by how my jeans and bras fit.
Erin recently posted..Long Time, No See!!

12 [email protected] November 14, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Great progress! I have been trying to be better for just a week and a half now and am already feeling better, it’s a great feeling!
[email protected] recently posted..Thatโ€™s when I miss youโ€ฆ

13 Anne November 14, 2012 at 4:19 pm

My sister had her dress altered by getting rid of the zipper in the back and replacing it with ribbon…

kinda like this…

That way, whether she was a little bigger or smaller on the actual day, it was the perfect fit!

14 Alyssa November 14, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I’ve tried a bunch of homemeade protein bar recipes and strangely, this YouTube recipe is the best – it’s also great because you can throw in any ingredients you’d like.

I used almond butter instead of peanut, subbed full agave rather than half agave – half applesauce, nixed the nuts, added coconut, tried it with chocolate covered espresso beans, used raisins rather than craisins, and used 85% dark chocolate. Really its the ratio of ingredients that makes these work! Let me know if you give it a try!
Alyssa recently posted..Cupcakes Take the Cake

15 amy November 14, 2012 at 4:36 pm

No meat athlete has some great recipes…one being the “ULTIMATE energy bar formula”. I am not vegan but love the recipes on the site… ๐Ÿ™‚

16 clare @ fittingitallin November 14, 2012 at 5:06 pm

AWESOME job! I love your approach.
As for snacks, they are my hardest too because apples = all carbs and sugar, and I tend to overdo it with nuts and nut butter. I’ve foudnd that a can of tuna, some veggies, or even just a smaller portion of leftover dinner (meat + veggies) is good for me! Also KALE CHIPS with nooch = veg and some protein!
clare @ fittingitallin recently posted..More Love Grown Hints & Outfit 11.14.12

17 BroccoliHut November 14, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I waited until very close to the wedding to start alterations. I have a thyroid problem at the moment, so my weight can fluctuate in either direction pretty quickly, so I figured there was no point in getting it altered too far in advance. I had a consultation with the seamstress in July, then came back three weeks before the wedding, then again 5 days before. It worked out well, and I think my dress ended up fitting me like a glove!

18 jamie November 14, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Keep up the good work looking good!!! I just posted a new recipe for homemade sugar free pumpkin protein bars on my website– I definitely recommend them– enjoy ๐Ÿ™‚

19 Meghann November 15, 2012 at 8:49 am

Thank you! I’ll check them out.

20 Morgan November 15, 2012 at 7:16 am

You truly look awesome. I would love those arms. But, I have to ask, what happened to being “unapologetically not cute” and why do you need to provide so many disclaimers in your caption as to not looking good? Seems like the exact opposite of your stance from the Instagram post.

21 Meghann November 15, 2012 at 8:49 am

I think I added the disclaimer for my own humor. However, you’re right, I shouldn’t have apologized for how I looked. ๐Ÿ™‚

22 Diane @ DixieJulep November 15, 2012 at 7:28 am

Snacks are tough… a few of my low-carb go-tos (besides nuts) are cheese with fruit or veggies, veggies dipped in nut butter or a greek-yogurt based dip, or one of those Chicken of the Sea salmon cups with a few whole grain crackers. (Bumblebee also makes some yummy flavored tuna cups, but I eat more salmon because of the extra omegas and lower mercury.) If I’m really in a hurry and starving, a slice or two of deli turkey rolled up will help tide me over.

Good luck and don’t forget to enjoy these last couple months of your engagement! ๐Ÿ˜‰ It’s a stressful time, but also very exciting, and it will go by quicker than you expect. ๐Ÿ™‚
Diane @ DixieJulep recently posted..Toddler Vacation Survival Guide

23 Nikole November 15, 2012 at 8:00 am

Lately for a snack I have been eating a slice of low sodium deli turkey or ham with a little smear of roasted red pepper hummus and then wrap that around a small pickle. I live the crunch of the pickle. I also make up a few at a time and keep in a container so I can grab and go.
Your arms look amazing!

24 Meghann November 15, 2012 at 8:45 am

That actually sounds really good. Thanks!

25 caitlinhtp November 15, 2012 at 8:34 am

looking fly!

26 LizForADay November 15, 2012 at 9:14 am

You look great. I love the bridal shape up work out. I am not getting married any time soon, but I need to take a page out of your book. You go girl! ๐Ÿ™‚
LizForADay recently posted..FD193 – Vacation Tooth Ache Drama in Ubud Bali

27 Rachel Wilkerson November 15, 2012 at 9:36 am

I struggle with snacks that don’t have too many carbs/too much sugar too! Here are snacks I have been enjoying:

Hard-boiled eggs or egg salad
Homemade chicken salad
Deli turkey or ham + sliced hard cheese + crackers
Rachel Wilkerson recently posted..Does a body good: 11-14-12

28 Cher @ Weddicted November 15, 2012 at 10:18 am

Good luck with the remainder of your shape up!
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Flowers: White wedding bouquets

29 Sarah November 15, 2012 at 5:27 pm

My favorite go-to snacks are bananas and hummus + baby carrots. I have to measure out 1/4 cup of hummus, though, or I will lick the entire tub clean. ๐Ÿ™‚