The Camera Behind Those Awesome Muddy Photos

by Meghann on November 14, 2012

Pretty Muddy released their official race photos this morning.

Screen shot 2012-11-14 at 2.03.20 PM.png

Running the course or hopping on one leg? I’ll let you be the judge. πŸ˜‰

I really like this photo.

Screen shot 2012-11-14 at 2.04.42 PM.png

It makes me want to climb that rope wall all over again. It really was fun! πŸ™‚

BUT, I think my FAVORITE photo is this one.

Screen shot 2012-11-14 at 12.07.47 PM.png

Why, yes, that IS my camera sticking out of my sports bra there. I know a few of you were asking where I kept my camera during the obstacles, well, there you go.

Screen shot 2012-11-14 at 2.04.54 PM.png

Speaking of cameras… I think I’m due for a follow up post on that sports bra lovin’ camera, correct?

The camera is the Olympus Tough TG-1 I bought towards the end of September

Olympus.jpg

See more on why I purchased the Olympus Tough TG-1 in THIS post.

The Olympus TG-1 is built to be a “rough and tough” camera. It’s waterproof, shockproof, and idiot proof (they don’t advertise “idiot proof” on the box – I threw that one in there πŸ˜‰ ). It also has new lowlight technology with the ability to go to a f2.0. I bought it after my Canon S95’s untimely death and was hoping it would replace replace both the Canon S95 and my lackluster waterproof camera (Fuji WP).

The good:

I brought the TG-1 through the Pretty Muddy course on Saturday and LOVE, LOVE, LOVED it. The camera took some amazing, high-quality photos AND survived the water, mud, and inside of my sports bra.

PB100200.JPG

One of the things I didn’t like about my former waterproof camera was the extreme low-quality of photos you got any other time you weren’t underwater. All photos taken in bright sunlight were slightly fuzzy, washed-out, and just plain bad. The TG-1’s photos were crisp, clean, and looked almost as good as any photo I could get with my DSLR.

PB100066.JPG

So from an outdoor/adventure aspect – this camera rocks and I couldn’t recommend it enough for that.

The bad:

Unfortunately I can’t say the same for the quality of the indoor photos.

PA250066.JPG

It’s not an easy camera to program. The settings don’t stick, so if I put it on “P” and program it to tungsten lighting without a flash and turn the macro on – it all reverts back to the standard auto settings the minute I turn it off and back on – that’s frustrating! There are the “C1” and “C2” options that you can pre-program to automatically pop-up to the settings you want them to stick to, but I haven’t quite figured out how that works yet (reading the manual might help there πŸ˜‰ )

It’s also not 100% manual like the S95 was. I can change the white balance, macro, and flash, but I can’t manually set the f-stop or shutter speed. The flash is also funky. If you’re in auto, it doesn’t always allow you to force the flash or to simply turn it off.

P9210075.JPG

The indoor photos are also not as sharp or crisp as the S95 and the camera itself is kind of bulky and obnoxious to carry around. I’ve had a few people comment on how much of a brick it is.

P9280021.JPG

Final thoughts:

Now, after saying all of that, I still love the Olympus Tough TG-1 simply because it does take awesome outdoor photos and it’s a great camera to have for races or other outdoor adventures. Do I wish I still had my Canon S95? Yes. The TG-1 was meant to be a replacement for the S95, but in a perfect world I would have both. I may still purchase a new S95 in the far-off future (once I save up the $$ or find a killer deal on it), but for now the Olympus TG-1 is doing the job. I’ve also been relying a lot of my Samsung Galaxy S3 for photos lately, another great alternative.

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 14, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I’d probably just buy one of those waterproof disposable cameras… Haha. Do they sell those anymore!? We used to have so much fun with them at the pool when I was younger.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–A Case of the Mondays

2 Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food November 14, 2012 at 4:00 pm

My camera just bit the dust so I have been looking for a replacement for a while. This is a very helpful review! Thanks for posting!
Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food recently posted..Would You Rather?? Wednesday! #3

3 Annette @FitnessPerks November 14, 2012 at 4:09 pm

If I did a race like this, I’d prob just forgo the pics or get a disposable one.
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Birthday Fun Giveaway!

4 Courtney November 14, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I love that you ran with your camera! And the action shots are SWEET!
Courtney recently posted..A Fluffy, Food Cloud

5 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer November 14, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I enjoyed snapping a few pics with it. They are great pictures, especially for action shots. And it seems pretty durable. But it is kinda large (thats what she said). I keep my camera in the same place! LOL
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..WIAW: Clearwater Style

6 Kate November 14, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I normally wouldn’t say something like this on a blog because I don’t think it’s a place to compliment or critique y’alls’ bodies, but I remember you saying something about your reaction to seeing yourself in the promo for this so…I have to say that in that first picture especially, your body looks AMAZING. Like absolutely ripped and strong and like it’s letting you do something challenging with ease. So, obviously, we all have days when we don’t think we look good or shots that are unflattering, but that pic perfectly captures your athleticism and beauty πŸ™‚

7 Blaire November 14, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Firstly, as a fellow boxer owner, I am sure we will be fast friends, ha! I enjoyed racing vicariously through you and your photos are awesome!

8 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 14, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Dang, you got some awesome official race photos! I’m always convinced that race photographers will catch me at my most awkward/unattractive moment, but yours turned out great. Lucky!

9 Kari November 14, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I thought you had a DSLR??? If you do, what one do you have? I’m curious because I’m in the market for one and Black Friday/Christmas is coming and I think your photos look really nice.

10 Meghann November 14, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I do have a DSLR, but I don’t bring it with me everywhere I go, which is why I like to invest in a nice point and shoot. I have the Canon Rebel T3. It’s a basic DSLR, but I don’t think I need more than that.

11 Bry November 14, 2012 at 8:58 pm

For fun arm definition try indoor wall climbing. It’s kinda $$, but it is a workout my husband and I both enjoy.

12 Becky @ runfundone November 14, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Those are some fun race photos!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Scaredy Beck

13 LizForADay November 15, 2012 at 3:24 am

That was great review of that camera. I am in the market for a waterproof camera. Do you have any more camera reviews or know of some one who does. Also, I love the race photos. I am so jealous I am not able to do those types of races right now. Oh well, maybe in the future.
LizForADay recently posted..FD193 – Vacation Tooth Ache Drama in Ubud Bali