more ยป" />

So Fly

by Meghann on November 13, 2012

I took an unintentional two week break from swimming after Miami 70.3.

Honestly, it wasn’t a break I was fighting. As the weather grows cooler – and tri-season comes to an end – I find myself less and less inclined to jump in the water (heated pool or not). I’ve noticed many of my teammates are in the same boat. Last week’s practices dropped from three nights to two, and tonight I was one of only four teammates who showed up at the pool for our 6:30 practice. Even the practice itself had a subdued feel to it, we spent more time talking than swimming and weren’t worried about getting a certain distance in before calling it a night.

e56b8bc22dea11e29e6f22000a9e2992_7.jpg

I can’t tell you how bummed we all are that our favorite practice pool officially closed for the season on November first *sniff.* We met at a new pool tonight, but it just wasn’t the same. The pool was small, the short course seemed a little short, the lanes were tight, and the water seemed dingy. We were definitely missing the other pool – is it Memorial Day weekend yet?

Despite talking more than swimming, our coach did make sure we got a good workout in. When we did swim, we swam hard, and focused on the butterfly stroke. He wants us to do more butterfly to build up strength in our shoulders. My teammates tend to groan when he mentions that fact, but I secretly enjoy it. They all kick my butt during every other stroke, but the fly is the one thing I can take the lead on (barely). It’s also the one stroke where my coach has very little to critique about the stroke itself (though my legs can used some work). As long as we stuck to 25 or 50 yds at a time, I was golden.

20121113_194947.jpg

On another note, the local synchronized swimming team was practicing in the same pool we were. During my 400 warm up I heard a muffled speaker sound underwater and thought I was going little crazy. What was that? And where was it coming from? Turns out it was the synchronized coach giving instructions to a microphone that was connected to speakers underwater. After the coach gave her spiel, they started playing music into the same speaker, which was a fun change up to have something to listen to underwater – sure made the laps go faster! ๐Ÿ™‚

My coach is heading south (WAY south – Brazil!) for a long Thanksgiving break, so we’re on our own for the next 10 days. My goal is to try and squeeze a few swim workouts in on my own. Can I do it? We’ll see. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I called Derek when practice got out, and by the time I got home and had a quick shower, he had dinner ready to go. Oh, how I love him so!

20121113_204046.jpg

Leftover sweet potatoes from last night, roasted brussels sprouts, and salmon with an herbed greek yogurt dressing. He did good!

I’ve got a hot cup of team and a puppy begging to have her belly rubbed.

Good Night!

1 Victoria (District Chocoholic) November 13, 2012 at 10:24 pm

The team I coach competes against that synchro team. Can you spy for me?

2 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale November 13, 2012 at 10:27 pm

I got called in at the last minute to cover a sick call after a night of insomnia post three overnight shifts. I practically dragged myself through the door only to realize that my Dad had made dinner for me. Now that’s love. Glad you have a lovely man there to bustle for you when you’re on your way home tired as well! ๐Ÿ™‚

3 [email protected] November 13, 2012 at 10:49 pm

I was a synchronized swimmer 9 years and swam butterfly for my school, so perfect post! I agree that it’s harder for me to swim when it’s cold out (but it is a bit colder here in buffalo haha)

4 Katie November 13, 2012 at 10:56 pm

That dinner looks good!!!

5 Chuck November 14, 2012 at 12:06 am

I’ll swim next week. Can I get that yogurt sauce recipe too??
Chuck recently posted..Acceptance, Willingness, and Committed Action

6 jameil November 14, 2012 at 2:21 am

You Floridians. Our pools close Labor Day at the latest in NC! And it’s been unseasonably cool here. By the time it’s dark it’s in the 40s. Hug your weather for me! I kind of miss the winters there from my time at UF. Hey rival! ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 14, 2012 at 3:29 am

I’ve never actually seen synchronized swimming in person but I think it’s so cool! I probably would have been distracted all practice watching them!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Discovering New Blogs

8 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 14, 2012 at 6:48 am

You deserved a swimming break post-70.3 for sure, Meghann! I had an unintentional and brief hiatus during Hurricane Sandy, and it’s interesting how a workout break (from swimming, biking, or running) can make it more enjoyable. (Just like your post yesterday about cutting down the number of days you run!) After not swimming (or biking or running) for a few days, my body starts to crave it, and I get really, really excited to hop in the pool (or sit on the saddle or hit the pavement). ๐Ÿ™‚
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Still in Shock

9 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed November 14, 2012 at 8:14 am

I was a swimmer when I was younger and fly was my jam! I don’t know why, but I just loved it. That dinner looks awesome, yum!
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..November Fitness Plans

10 NYC Fit GIrl November 14, 2012 at 8:43 am

I love having a warm cup of tea at night. I actually wish I drank tea more often at night whenever I do I feel so much better!
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..amazing weekend

11 Amanda November 14, 2012 at 8:44 am

Since moving away from FL I learned that pools close seasonally. I never realized it since our area was warm year round pretty much, I had just assumed all pools would be open. It was a pretty rude awakening when I learned pools in VA are only open like two months in the summer! I never minded the cold pools, just when I first got in, you really do warm up after swimming so it wasn’t that bad after a bit.
Amanda recently posted..Not that bad

12 Christina November 14, 2012 at 8:52 am

When I use to swim in high school during the off season was the worst for me. Hopefully you can fit in some swim workouts on your own. Are you part of a Masters Swim Team or are you part of a triathlon club?
Christina recently posted..The end of Fall Quater

13 Meghann November 14, 2012 at 9:05 am

I swim with a team, but we’re really more of just a group of friends who have similar goals.

14 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 14, 2012 at 9:07 am

The Greek yogurt dressing looks yummy!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Miles To Go Before I Sleep

15 beka November 14, 2012 at 9:17 am

Kudos to you guys for even getting in the water when it’s <80F out! I'm such a sissy now (aka FL blood). But 82F doesn't make it seem AS bad! I think one of these days I will give swimming a shot…. just maybe!
beka recently posted..livin la vida locaL with @yelptampabay & @datz4foodies

16 Alex November 14, 2012 at 10:12 am

I want to start training for a sprint triathlon, and the number one thing I need to work on is my swimming. I’m not sure how to go about it though. I can swim, but I’m not confident in my form. Were you a swimmer in high school, or did you find your coach in order to refine your form? Just feeling a little lost on how to prepare for the swim portion, so I’m looking for some guidance! Thanks!
Alex recently posted..Iโ€™m back!

17 Meghann November 14, 2012 at 10:46 am

I was not a swimmer in high school at all. I only started getting serious about swimming this last year when a friend invited me to her practice swim group and the coach started to help me with form. I would suggest finding a friend who is a swimmer and letting them give you a few pointers (that’s what I did here: http://mealsandmiles.com/2011/05/09/swim-workouts/) or finding a coach to work with. I really started to see improvement when I started working with a team, the inspired me to push myself more than I would on my own.

18 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City November 14, 2012 at 11:38 am

I’ve been so uninspired to swim lately. The cold just gets to me! The last thing I want to do after walking 10 minutes to the gym in 30 degree weather is hop into a cold pool. I think I definitely need a swim buddy or to join a team to get my butt in gear :P.
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..WIAW + A Giveaway {11-14-2012}

19 Emily N November 14, 2012 at 12:15 pm

yum! dinner looks delicious!
Emily N recently posted..Hitting a Busy Week

20 LizForADay November 17, 2012 at 8:30 am

Can you really hear the music good under water?
LizForADay recently posted..FD196 – Ubud Bali Dance Tour & a Sweet Surprise