Memorable Run Moments

by Meghann on November 13, 2012

I woke up ready to run this morning. And that feeling felt good.

I think cutting back my running to 3 days a week has really allowed my love and appreciation for the sport to grow. I no longer feel burnt out and find myself looking forward to every run again. While I was still enjoying my runs before, some of my previous passion was definitely lacking. Running every other day allows me to take a day for a breather and a chance to miss it.

This morning’s 5 mile run was great. I managed to pick up my speed for some 8:00 min/mi intervals and not kill myself in the process – always a plus. I only held the intervals for a half mile at a time, but that was enough for me – baby steps. It helps to listen to an inspiring running-themed book (You Are An Ironman) while running. After listening to the training they’re putting themselves through, I figure I can hold an 8:00 min/mi pace for half of a mile (better than riding 100 miles on the bike with a herniated disk – right?).

For breakfast, I made a bowl of my favorite Pumpkin Protein Dip.

In the mix:

• Plain Chobani
  • Pumpkin
  • Pumpkin Spice
  • Pumpkin Butter
  • Peanut butter

On top:

• Pecans

I used the apple slices for my dippers then, when I ran out of those, I went directly for the tongue – I licked that bowl clean.

My lunch was an odd assortment of a “little of this” and “a little of that.”

Carrots, hummus, olives, tofu, cheese, pecans, and hummus. I mixed and matched the different flavors and textures with each bite. Favorite combo? The cheese, pecan, and carrot – yum.

Run Happy Moments in History

I’m always impressed when companies can think outside the box when it comes to a fun and original social media campaign. Brooks recently launched a “Run Happy Moments in History” campaign that is a prime example of that.

MomentsInHistory.jpg

From the Brooks team:

Over the past few weeks Brooks staff have dug through their “Run Happy” archives to uncover some of the greatest moments from the sport of running and the history of the company. From this archive, they put together a timeline on our Facebook page that stretches back to 1914, when the company was founded. They’re calling it “Run Happy Moments in History.” It contains everything from when the first baby jogger first debuted on the market, to when the first woman ran the Boston Marathon, to when Brooks created the legendary Chariot shoe.

RHMIM-Title-9.png

Basically Brooks is digging up every “Run Happy” moment in history and creating events on their Facebook timeline to acknowledge when they happened. In theory, followers can start at the bottom of the Facebook page and scroll up for a complete history of the sport of running. They’re basically turning their Facebook page into the Wikipedia page for running. 😉

Screen shot 2012-11-13 at 1.42.08 PM.png

Now the fun “social media spin” is that they’re not simply adding traditional historic running moments, they’re reaching out to their fans and asking for THEIR most memorable run moments to be added to the timeline as well. Fans have the opportunity to submit their most memorable run moments HERE for a chance to have their moments posted on the timeline of Brooks’ Facebook page.

I recently submitted my most memorable run moment (the finish line of Ragnar Key West, when Derek proposed) and was surprised (and excited!) to see it featured on the Brooks blog yesterday.

Screen shot 2012-11-13 at 1.17.08 PM.png

Umm… I’m pretty sure no other personal running moment of mine will ever triumph Derek dropping down to one knee at that finish line. I still smile every time I think about the lead up to that moment or see a picture of it happening. Best. Race. Ever. 🙂

You can also check out the Fit Bottomed Girls and Monica from RunEatRepeat’s most memorable race memories HERE.

How fun is that? I love the idea of sharing everyone’s most memorable run moments because whether it’s your first 5k, a marathon PR or a notable race in your life, they’re all historic moments in your book and should be celebrated!

What is your most memorable running moment? Share it with Brooks HERE and your Run Happy moment could be posted to their Facebook Timeline.

Also, what’s the most creative social media campaign you’ve seen a company promote? Since Facebook and social media are changing and evolving everyday, what could be creative one week, could be old news the next.

Disclaimer: I’m a Brooks Ambassador, which means I have the honor of reviewing their gear on ye ole blog. However, it should be noted, my love for Brooks started well before my working relationship with them did and I really do think this campaign is a fun twist on a company’s use of the Facebook timeline. As always, all opinions are my own.

1 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 13, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I’m not a runner so I can’t comment on that but I just wanted to say that the pumpkin protein dip looks delicious – such a smart snack!

2 Annette @FitnessPerks November 13, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Oooh that pumpkin protein dip looks fabulous. Totally having that tomorrow!

you DO have a great run moment. I don’t really have a specific one, but a really good one was crossing the marathon finish line with my sister and our hands raised high! Great moment.
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..5 Tips to Becoming a Morning Exerciser

3 Meghann November 13, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I’ve crossed the finish line of a couple of races holding my siblings’ hands and I can agree that does make for an awesome run moment!! 🙂

4 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 13, 2012 at 3:39 pm

When I cut my running back (like running three or four days as opposed to five or six), it definitely seems more enjoyable. Plus, I really like cross-training with swimming and biking on my non-running days. And even though I like both, they make me appreciate running much more. 🙂
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Still in Shock

5 Meghann November 13, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Exactly! 🙂

6 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 13, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Hmmm I think my most memorable running moment was the Chicago Marathon, I took everyone’s advice and really tried to take it all in, and I remember every mile of that race. I really enjoyed it!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Discovering New Blogs

7 NYC Fit GIrl November 13, 2012 at 3:55 pm

What a fun idea. My favorite running moment was finishing my first half marathon in DIsney. I remember being so nervous and you actually calmed my nerves at the get together we had first in Orlando. That was so long ago! You might not even remember. I truly though I was going to come in last 🙂 SIlly me!
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..amazing weekend

8 Meghann November 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Of course I remember! You were sitting across from me with Andrea, that was the first time I met the two of you. That was a good meet up! And, yes, you survived! I think I even snapped a photo of you on the course the next day. 🙂

9 Steph November 13, 2012 at 6:31 pm

My favorite run moment was crossing the finish line with my boyfriend for the first time during our first 5k. It was at that moment that I knew that he was the one for me! 🙂
Steph recently posted..I’m a pretty muddy girl!

10 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale November 13, 2012 at 6:58 pm

My most memorable moment was crossing the finish of my first half-marathon in September, the Army Run. For me, it was more than just a race, it represented my recovery from my eating disorder because to run this race, and run it well, I needed to fuel, hydrate and rest adequately. I crossed the finish line in tears, overwhelmed that I had accomplished my goal (and 5min faster than I thought I would, and 42min faster than I indicated when I had signed up four months before). Being presented by a medal by the Canadian Armed Forces and thinking of my personal army of friends and family who helped me win my battle … it was priceless.

11 Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 13, 2012 at 7:48 pm

My most memorable moment was from my first half-marathon. My husband and I ran it together, and we just had such a fun time. He videotaped me on his phone while I was crossing the finish line, so we can look back and remember that moment whenever we want! 🙂
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..19 Weeks: Say Good-Bye to Regular Clothing (and another giveaway!).

12 Allie November 13, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Having my 10 year old nephew meet me at the finish line of my first marathon and run the last few hundred feet in with me was awesome. I was hurting but once I saw him I forgot about the pain. I don’t think he realizes how motivating he was that day. He made me a sign and everything. I can’t wait to run a race with him one day.
Allie recently posted..Sports Headband

13 [email protected] November 13, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I dont think anyone can trump a finish line proposal! 🙂
[email protected] recently posted..Stocked-Shocked-Sad-Stoked

14 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats November 13, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I think this Brooks campaign is really cool. I love hearing people’s running memories! FB and social media is so huge companies have to find ways to utilize it.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..How to get free wine tastings

15 Wifey November 13, 2012 at 11:11 pm

What an AWESOME most memorable run moment – and picture, too!

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey
Wifey recently posted..Travel Tuesday: Preview of Beaches Negril Resort & Spa

16 meghan November 14, 2012 at 9:50 am

That dip looks delicious. I love pumpkin and imagine it would be great with the apples. And the Brooks campaign is really neat. I’ll have to go look at the memorable moments of running in history. Being a history geek that really excites me!
meghan recently posted..Pretty Awesome: Pretty Muddy Race Review

17 Emily N November 14, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I saw that yesterday on Brooks page. It makes me smile, although I am sure not as much as it makes you smile!
Emily N recently posted..A Visit to the Foot Doctor

18 LizForADay November 17, 2012 at 9:25 am

I love that Derek proposed at a race. That had to of been very exciting. Awe…that is so sweet.