We Came, We Ran, We Got Pretty Muddy

by Meghann on November 10, 2012

Who’s ready to get Pretty Muddy?!

Some races are meant to be serious. They include time chips, months of training, and defined goals. Some races are meant to be fun. Those include bubbles, girlfriends, and pink tutus.

Pretty Muddy was definitely a FUN race… and I had a BLAST!

I <3 MUD!!!

Full disclosure: Pretty Muddy contacted the Tampa Bay Lady Bloggers Facebook page a couple of months ago offering free race registrations to interested bloggers. In exchange for the free registration, we participated in a focus group and I had the opportunity to help with a daytime television segment a couple of weeks ago. Though my race entry was comped, all opinions are my own.

Alright – on with the race recap!

First, can I just say how much we lucked out with amazing weather today? It was a bit chilly when we woke up this morning (and we were nervous about how cold it would be mixing that chill in the air with wet clothes and mud), but once the sun came out, it was perfect! Not too hot and not to cold, the perfect mix of somewhere in between with a beautiful blue sky.

Pretty Muddy took place at Little Everglades Ranch, about 30 minutes outside of Tampa. When we registered for the race we had the option of selecting a start time anywhere between 8:00am and 3:00pm (the time slots went every 15 minutes). As a group, we all agreed on 8:30am in hopes of avoiding the heat (ha! I guess we didn’t have to worry about that) and so we still had the rest of the day to enjoy after we finished the race. I carpooled with Stephanie, Diana, and Mary (which ended up working out great since parking was $10). We arrived about 30 minutes before our start time and had plenty of time to grab our bib, drop our bags in gear check, find the rest of the Tampa Bay Lady Bloggers, and take some group photos.

(Meghan, Diana, Beka, Me, Stephanie, Kat, Meghan, Mary, Tori)

While we were waiting for the gun, there was a costume contest for the best dressed Pretty Mudders.

The SuperGirls took top prize. LOVED their outfits – made me wish I had dressed more in costume. :)

The 8:30 group, ready to go.

There were maybe 50 runners in our time slot? I liked how small the start groups were, we didn’t have to worry about running anyone over and there was no pressure at the start line. Everyone was here to have fun – plain and simple.

Our first obstacle came up quick – BUBBLES!

It was one of those obstacles that you look at ahead of time and think “Bubbles?… Really?” (in a sarcastic tone), but then you get to race day, you run through the bubbles, and you feel like a kid again. We ran, we laughed, and we blew the bubbles every which way. In fact, I wouldn’t have minded running through the bubbles again, and again! :)

PB100050.JPG PB100051.JPG PB100052.JPG

Next up: puddle time!

I guess they wanted to get our feet wet early. The water was cold, but it was fun splashin’ and kickin’ around.

Proof that I’m a goof. :)

PB100075.jpg PB100076.jpg

You may recognize the pink tutu from the Disney Princess Half I ran a couple of years ago. When I saw other bloggers tweeting about tutus I decided to pull it out for the race and I’m so glad I did! There were a good amount of folks dressed up in costume and I felt like I fit right in. I also discovered a huge benefit to the tutu – the extra fluff gives you a nice place to wipe your hands off after you go through the mud! I’ll definitely be wearing a tutu for every mud run from now on. :)

This was our first mud pit and it definitely proved a little more challenging than meets the eye.

The pit was narrow – but deep! – and acted like quick sand when you stepped in.

We were all fighting to get out thanks to stuck legs and feet. I wish I had a video of the full 5 minutes it took me to get from on side to the other.

The extra muddy obstacle, was followed by a clean one.

You were told to grab a piece of wood and carry it through a loop.

Easy. Peasy. 😉

First mile – done!

Up next – my favorite obstacle of the day.

The slide!!

Some of us were more hilarious than other.

Gotta love Beka, she’s not one to hold back. :)

PB100117.JPG PB100118.JPG

A little walking break…

…before our next big hurdle.

Hi Tori!

One more mile to go!

The next few obstacles consisted of a lot of over/under.

PB100155.JPG PB100158.JPG

Who knew mud was so much fun?

So many “That’s what she said” jokes were made while entering, playing, and exiting the ball pit. Care to add your own in the comments?

Another over/under.

Under. Crawl baby, crawl!

We could see the finish line at this point. Only two more obstacles to go!

Loved the teamwork. We had a couple of friends who were afraid of heights or struggling to get over, we stayed and helped until every girl was over (and cheered them along the entire way).

PB100189.JPG PB100190.JPG

And, just in case you’re not muddy enough, they save the largest mud pit of all for the grand finale.

I’ve been a proud race junkie since 2008. I’ve done 5ks, marathons, ulra-marathons, triathlons, relays, mud runs, obstacle courses, etc. etc. but out of all those years of racing I’m not sure that I’ve ever had as much fun as I did at Pretty Muddy today. Not only was the 5k Pretty Muddy course so much fun and perfect for their target market (women who want to do a mud run without the pressure of time, intimidating obstacles, or a crazy competitive agenda), but I had the pleasure of completing the course with a crazy supportive group of women who MADE it fun. As a group, we cheered each other on, made inappropriate jokes, dove head first into mud, and spent the entire 3.1 miles laughing, smiling, and letting our true selves shine.

What. A. Blast.

I loved the no pressure feel of the race. It was a day for the girls and I haven’t stopped smiling since. Thank you Pretty Muddy for putting on one hell of a race! :)

Check out the post-Pretty Muddy tutu.

I think I like i better this way.

There were hoses and changing tents for the Pretty Mudders to wash off at before heading home.

PB100227.jpg PB100234.jpg

We showered off, changed our clothes, and headed home with huge smiles on our face.

Love these girls!

What an awesome way to kick off the weekend. We’re already talking about getting together for more “fun” races – Color Run anyone?!?! 😉

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 10, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Ah I love this! I’ve always wanted to do one of these fun races but they tend to either be on a date that doesn’t work for me, or too expensive! Glad you enjoyed it!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Freestylin’

2 meghan November 10, 2012 at 4:15 pm

This was such an amazingly fun race! I had the best time! Thanks for all the pictures! And I’m doing the color run. Me and Tori have a team. It’s called “Colors of the Winded”. Can’t wait! That’s going to be another fun one!
meghan recently posted..Friday’s Letters

3 Steph November 10, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I had such a fun time. I think I’m hooked on these! Can’t wait for another one!
Steph recently posted..I’m a pretty muddy girl!

4 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin November 10, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I am so jealous, I want to do this race!!! I have been looking into another mud run, but this one looks less competitive and more my style. I am also planning on doing the Color Run in 2013! Glad you had such a fun day :)
Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin recently posted..Back to Normal

5 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale November 10, 2012 at 4:25 pm

“I’ll definitely be wearing a tutu for every mud run from now on.” — I bet that if someone told you 6-7 years ago that you would say this sentence on Nov. 10th 2012, you wouldn’t have believed them. THAT’S how you know this was a truly unique experience!! I sincerely hope that I get to participate in one someday!! 😀
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..SES #12 — “Normal”

6 Lindsay November 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Did you have someone from the race walk alongside you to take pictures the whole time? How did you get so many mud-free pictures with those dirty hands??

7 MealsAndMiles November 10, 2012 at 4:42 pm

It’s a waterproof camera and I wiped my hands on the tutu. We also traded off taking photos.

8 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 10, 2012 at 4:49 pm

So jealous of all these mud/obstacle runs! Definitely on my bucket list – they look like so much fun!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Survey Saturday.

9 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 10, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Wow, what a fun event! Great pictures, Meghann!
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..The Courage to Start Book Review

10 Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 10, 2012 at 5:18 pm

How. Fun. I was smiling the whole time I was reading that post. Loved all of the pictures. Glad you had such an awesome time!! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Cheddar Bacon Ranch Dip

11 MissPinkkate November 10, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Looks fun! Hope they do one in NYC!

12 Beka November 10, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I had such a good time today with the group! We are doing Color Run on Dec 15 too. I joined Kat’s team “We Be Runnin”. There were a few made before a few of the TBLB’rs knew each other were doing it, too.

And hey, go big or go home right? No holding back. 😀
Beka recently posted..#StrongIsSexy Week 1

13 Kayla November 10, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Your tutu is hilarious in the after picture.
Kayla recently posted..Marathon Reflection

14 Jules November 10, 2012 at 6:10 pm

That seals it- I definitely have to do a fun run- either a mud/color/ or glow in the dark. It just seems like a such a fun way to break up the monotony on the course!

15 Cindy November 10, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I always wondered – what happens to your shoes after one of those races?

16 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 10, 2012 at 6:33 pm

That looks AWESOME! I have to do a mud run someday!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..A Day Off

17 Jessica November 10, 2012 at 7:01 pm

It was great seeing you all today. Looks like SO much fun. I hope the upcoming color run end up being this awesome!

18 Chuck November 11, 2012 at 12:33 am

That looked like a blast Meghann! I loved the Twitter updates today. Did you even keep your shoes or were you able to clean them?
Some other “fun” races sounds good to me!
Chuck recently posted..Acceptance, Willingness, and Committed Action

19 Carrie @ The Cook's Palette November 11, 2012 at 2:10 am

Wow, looks like so much fun! Glad the laid back style was a nice change for you today. Cute outfits too!
Carrie @ The Cook’s Palette recently posted..fall favorites

20 Barb November 11, 2012 at 7:05 am

I did Tough Mudder Dec 2011 at Little Everglades Ranch, gorgeous area in the middle of FL for sure. Glad to see that there are fun races out there to keep women training and coming together for a active time.

21 Beverly Thibodeau November 11, 2012 at 11:20 am

It was great fun!!! Every single person was nice and helpfull! I would love to do more runs like this! Where do you find them???

22 Leslie November 11, 2012 at 3:42 pm

This makes me so excited for the mud run I’m doing next year! I can hardly wait! Thanks for all the great pics and laughs. :)
Leslie recently posted..The InAugural Run

23 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer November 11, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Awesome recap!! Thanks for joining us, we had blast!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Coffee Date: Mud Runs and Mommy Moments

24 Rebecca November 11, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Mud runs are always fun – and going through the mud is harder than it looks! I almost did a face plant when I did Warrior Dash.

This race looked pretty flat – the thing about Warrior Dash (at least the one I did in Ontario) is that it was on a ski hill – so the hills were as much as an obstacle as ‘jumping over fire’. I found the actual obstacles easy – running up giant hills…..well lets just say I wasn’t actually running
Rebecca recently posted..My go-to Movies

25 Meghann November 11, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Yeah, that’s the good thing about Florida – we’re pretty much always guaranteed a flat race. :)

26 Rebecca November 12, 2012 at 1:03 pm

haha, that and something tells me that you guys don’t have ski hills down there :-)
Rebecca recently posted..Farm Boy Indian Sauces

27 Charlie (The Runner Beans) November 12, 2012 at 4:37 am

Great photos, what camera did you use for this? was it waterproof?
Charlie (The Runner Beans) recently posted..Movember 5K

28 Emily N November 12, 2012 at 1:04 pm

This one looks like it is a lot more fun than so many of the others! Glad you ladies enjoyed it!
Emily N recently posted..Mason Half Marathon Race Report

29 Cathy November 12, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I did the Warrior Dash Saturday. It was a little more intense then yours lol, but yours looks like lots of fun!

30 Becky November 13, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Our team also enjoyed this event it was a lot of fun! Wish I would have done the waterproof camera so we had more pictures. Lots of laughs could have been captured! :)