Wedding: I Spy

by Meghann on November 8, 2012

Do you remember the wedding-themed disposable cameras that brides and grooms would leave on every reception table? Do people still buy disposable cameras?

The disposable cameras were always a huge hit at the weddings I attended in the 90s and early 2000s. Guests were encouraged to take photos of the reception as they partied the night away, then leave the camera for the bride and groom to develop. In theory, the newlyweds would have a lot of great photos that their photographers may have missed. In reality, I heard a lot of amusing stories of brides who developed the photos the next day to discover images of bathroom stalls and random legs or arms (usually thanks to the kiddos who stole the cameras and had a grand ole time with them).

Now a days the disposable cameras are sort of a thing of the past thanks to the ever growing popularity of digital cameras and smart phones. I still want to encourage my guests to take and share photos (in hopes of capturing photos our photographers may miss – I mean, there’s only 2 of them!), but I also want to make it fun and love the idea of turning it into a game. I’ve seen these “I SPY” games pop up on Pinterest and was inspired to create one of my own.

A couple of hours playing around in photoshop, and this is what I ended up with:

ISpyBlog copy.jpg

I’m going to have the “games” printed on 5×7 card stock and place one or two at every table in hopes that guests will want to play along.

To collect the photos, I created an email address guests can send photos to or they can upload them to the FREE “Wedding Party” App account I created.

Screen shot 2012-11-08 at 1.23.54 PM.png

The Wedding Party App is a pretty cool concept. Guests can download the FREE app and upload photos directly from their phone. The photos will populate a wedding photo stream similar to Instagram and guests have the opportunity to like or comment on the photos. For guests who aren’t into Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook, this is a great alternative to any other social media platform since they won’t have to worry about creating an account to use the app.

Guests are also more than welcome to post to any other social media platform, I just like that the Wedding Party App keeps everything in a central location for easy reviewing/downloading.

weddingParty.png

A friend recently used the Wedding Party App at a wedding and highly recommended it. I can’t wait to see it in action!

(p.s. Β I was NOT compensated for this post. I looked at similar wedding apps that were not free, so when I discovered this one was, I got a little excited and wanted to emphasize it in my post. )

1 Lauren @ Sassy Molassy November 8, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Yes, I want to do this for our wedding as well. I love that it allows everyone to share photos and makes the photo taking fun with a card to encourage different types of pics to be snapped.
Lauren @ Sassy Molassy recently posted..All Aboard the Random Boat!

2 Lindsay November 8, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I’ve also got the Wedding Party app. Can’t wait to use it! I’m making a sign to help people use the app & mentioning it in the program.

3 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 8, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Haha ooooh disposable cameras! I loved those because you never knew what you were going to get! I once found one in my dad’s trunk and we got it developed, they were old vacation photos!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

4 natalie @ will jog for food November 8, 2012 at 2:04 pm

That’s a great way to get some good pictures that you might not get from your photographer. What an awesome idea πŸ™‚

5 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale November 8, 2012 at 2:12 pm

We did something like this for a rowing initiation one year (but with disposable cameras and much more risque specifications) and called it a scavenger hunt. It brought a TONNE of laughs.
I really think this is going to be a great component of your wedding — seeing the evening through everyone else’s eyes. My favourites are worst dancer and couples in love (though the first might incite some conflict — it will be hilarious regardless; and the second is just too cute!!).
Great idea, Meghann!!
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Embracing My Inner Tortoise

6 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep November 8, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Love this idea! Just pinned the crap out of it.
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Becoming a Coca-Cola Mixologist

7 MissPinkKate November 8, 2012 at 2:35 pm

My mother still buys disposable cameras, because she doesn’t understand computers πŸ™‚ Everyone else uses digital!

8 erica November 8, 2012 at 2:55 pm

that’s such a fun idea!
erica recently posted..date night

9 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed November 8, 2012 at 3:26 pm

That’s such a great idea… I’m totally pinning this for later!
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..November Fitness Plans

10 Sandy November 8, 2012 at 3:43 pm

That is a great idea! I am sure you are going to get some great pictures from your guests!

11 Mo November 8, 2012 at 3:46 pm

What a fun idea!! You will get some great shots!
Mo recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

12 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 8, 2012 at 4:12 pm

This is so fun! I wish I had thought of something like this when I got married =)
Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) recently posted..Food for a day

13 Rachel Wilkerson November 8, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Yayyy, I love Wedding Party!

Also I’m pretty sure you guys will have a fun time guessing if a picture is if meant to show the best dancer or the worst dancer.
Rachel Wilkerson recently posted..Rights and responsibilities for That Girl Who is Desperate to Be Married + My engagement is, in fact, an accomplishment [Freelance Articles]

14 LizP November 8, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Love, love, love most of your wedding posts and ideas.

I, however, would never ask for pictures of “worst dancer.”I think its a little mean spirited and aren’t we trying to encourage people to let loose and dance? Not everyone is as outgoing and confidant as you and I am willing to bet calling for pictures of worst dancer may prevent some shyer or more uncoordinated dancers from dancing. Even though the wedding is all about the couple and what they want, I know that my goal for my wedding next year is to make my guests as comfortable and happy as possible.

15 Cher @ Weddicted November 8, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I can’t believe you can make your own apps. I’m not with it, apparently, lol.

Sounds fun! I wish I did this. We missed out on a lot of photos that we wanted!
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Friday Favourites: Winter wedding

16 Sonia the Mexigarian November 8, 2012 at 6:27 pm

we had the disposable cameras at our wedding. it gave me a picture of what was happening at the wedding when I was busy with pictures or attending to other things. and i got some hilarious photos from friends. made me call them up and ask to the story behind some of them πŸ˜‰
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..It’s all a blur. . . .

17 nic. November 8, 2012 at 10:17 pm

this is COMPLETELY genius.
nic. recently posted..Weighing In – 11/08/2012

18 Katie November 9, 2012 at 9:50 am

Were you compensated for posting about this FREE app? The way this is written reads like you were, and without a disclaimer, it seems quite deceptive.

19 Meghann November 9, 2012 at 10:00 am

I was not compensated. I looked at other apps there were not free, so I was really excited this one was and wanted to emphasize that. πŸ™‚

20 Meghann November 9, 2012 at 10:05 am

p.s. just wrote a disclaimer stating I was NOT compensated for this post. I hope that clears things up. πŸ˜‰

21 Katie November 10, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Thank you. It’d be nice if you’d think to do this in future posts as well. Transparency in sponsorships, payments, reviews, and product placement is incredibly important for the trustworthiness and reputation of a business, which you’ve clearly been exposed to at blog conferences in the past, but often seem to lack (ex: engagement photos, wedding invitations, specific races, workout gear, etc.).

22 Meghann November 10, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Thank you for the note, but I would like to state that I am very transparent when I post about items I am comped for. I paid for my engagement photos (she gave me the same deal she would give any friend), I mentioned that Katie did the wedding invitations for free, and any race or workout gear I’ve been given have always had a note attached to them. If I blog about something (and don’t mention that it was given to me), then it’s probably because I paid for it.

23 Lisa November 9, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Love the app idea, wish all this was available when I was married. A friend of ours recently got married and asked everyone who might post photos on Instagram to use a specific hash tag made just for the wedding.

24 Sara November 10, 2012 at 4:37 pm

“(in hopes of capturing photos our photographers may miss – I mean, there’s only 2 of them!)”

I’m sure you didn’t intend this to be incredibly rude, but it was. Professional photographers are professional for a reason. If you get the right photographers, they won’t miss a thing. (I say this as having a couple pro friends and second shooting one wedding – too busy with school to keep seconding right now, haha.) Like I said, I’m sure you didn’t mean this to be rude…

25 Julie November 13, 2012 at 2:06 pm

my cousin created that app! we used it at my brother’s wedding and loved it. glad to see you decided to use it too!

26 Meghann November 13, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Three cheers to your cousin! It’s a great app!

27 Carol November 17, 2012 at 11:45 am

I guess I am of a different opinion about this… I just got married and asked that everyone put away their cell phones and camera and really celebrate the moment with us. We had an “unplugged” wedding and had the photographers capture everything (which we then shared with our guests after the wedding). To quote John Mayer’s 3X5 — “Didn’t have a camera by my side this time,
Hoping I would see the world through both my eyes…”

I love social media as much as the next person and am constantly plugged in for my line of work but it seems like we as a society as so busy proving we are somewhere and that something cool is happening that we can’t really live in the moment. I loved that my guests weren’t on their cell phones and we all had real conversations and moments together. And reflecting on my wedding a few months later, I am glad we have the photos but it’s those memories that really stick with me.

Have fun and good luck. I hope you are able to have real moments with people instead of just snapshots of this incredible day. I have been involved in too many experiences where I was so busy capturing the moment that upon reflection, I never got to really feel them.