Unapologetically Not Cute

by MealsAndMiles on November 8, 2012

image

I posted the above photo on Instagram this morning after a quick-and-dirty 30 minute speed session on the treadmill. I was sweaty, tired, and decided to stick my tongue out to emphasize the post-workout exhaustion I felt. I didn’t think much of it until I immediately got the comment “Why do you post such unflattering photos of yourself online? It’s not cute.”

At first I was offended, my girl instincts kicked in, and I re-examined the photo. She was right, it wasn’t cute, sticking the tongue out was a bad idea and I looked like a hot mess. Maybe I should take it down.

Then I took a shower and got angry. Not cute? I just got out of the gym! I was a hot sweaty mess, but at least I was being real. That, my friends, is what I really look like ( crazy tounge-sticking-out face and all). I’m not going to stop posting “unflattering” photos because that’s not who I am. I sweat, I make awkward faces, and I’m unapologetically not cute.

image

Don’t expect anything less.

1 Michael Anderson November 8, 2012 at 7:03 am

Personally I take extreme pride in how ‘not cute’ I look after a hard workout, and in my post-marathon shots from my recently completed first Wineglass Marathon. I EARNED looking that way … and so did you! Go with it!
Michael Anderson recently posted..XtremeMac Microshield Stand Video Review and Giveaway

2 Nina November 8, 2012 at 7:05 am

I don’t understand why photos going on a personal blog need to be cute anyway, this isn’t your high school yearbook or a studio that’s producing a photo for you to give out family. It’s an accurate portrayal. People get made fun of just for having the same stance in every picture smiling like a kindergartener so you really can’t win. Just keep doing whatever you want, haha.

3 kate November 8, 2012 at 8:51 am

hahahaha not a high school yearbook, so true. and yeah at least you weren’t making the duck face with a peace sign

4 MissPinkKate November 8, 2012 at 7:08 am

I’m not sure I get it. It takes the same amount of time to smile as it does to stick out your tongue.

5 Nina November 8, 2012 at 7:21 am

But clearly she didn’t feel like smiling. Honestly who cares?

6 MissPinkKate November 8, 2012 at 7:39 am

Count me as one would rather see a nice smile than a tongue!

7 Victoria (District Chocoholic) November 8, 2012 at 8:43 am

Your significant other must be sad.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..A Boston Visit: The Changing Chocolate Scene

8 Victoria @ Running Peanut November 8, 2012 at 9:43 am

+1 to this. Ha ha ha!
Victoria @ Running Peanut recently posted..Where Do I Go From Here?

9 Charlie (The Runner Beans) November 8, 2012 at 10:15 am

Love this! and loved the post this morning. Sweaty is sexy!
Charlie (The Runner Beans) recently posted..Podcasts

10 MissPinkKate November 8, 2012 at 10:18 am

Well aren’t you clever!

11 Nina November 8, 2012 at 3:22 pm

!!!

12 Chelle August 11, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Remember kids: its ok to be rude to other commenters but not to bloggers!

13 Amanda November 8, 2012 at 7:10 am

I like your real and quirky photos πŸ™‚ Much more awesome than myspace duck face shots constantly!
Amanda recently posted..Bust

14 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 8, 2012 at 7:12 am

Amen sister! If they don’t like it, they’re more than welcome to stop following you on Instagram.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..game time wiaw

15 Kristy @Kristy's Health Revolution November 8, 2012 at 7:19 am

That’s funny, because when I originally saw this on Instagram, I DID think you looked cute. Haters, sheesh.
Kristy @Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..I Can Breathe!

16 Hannah N. November 8, 2012 at 9:24 am

Me too! I saw this on Twitter this morning and totally thought the same! I really don’t see anything unflattering about this picture and I think it’s great motivation for the rest of us (*cough* me) to get up in the morning and get to the gym!!

17 Heather November 8, 2012 at 7:20 am

I love that you keep it real!

18 Sarah November 8, 2012 at 7:21 am

Dirty is right!! You’re still wearing that freakin iron man tag on your wrist!

19 MealsAndMiles November 8, 2012 at 7:24 am

Haha I know, I plan to cut it off when I get home.

20 Jean November 8, 2012 at 7:22 am

I am against commenting on someone’s looks, etc, but I don’t see why a pic is even necessary. Is it bragging that you worked out? I just don’t get it. I also think that sticking out your tongue is pretty juvenile.

21 MealsAndMiles November 8, 2012 at 7:23 am

I am pretty juvenile. Not arguing there. πŸ™‚

22 Kelly November 8, 2012 at 9:43 am

Oh you make that quite clear!

23 Meghann November 8, 2012 at 9:45 am

No apologies. πŸ™‚

24 Morgan November 8, 2012 at 11:54 am

Then why don’t you unsubscribe from her blog if you don’t like it?
Your judgment and negativity is uncalled for.

25 Leslie November 8, 2012 at 11:01 am

Agreed, Jean. My 13-year-old cousin posts pictures like this on Facebook all the time.

Also, not everything needs to be documented.

26 Courtney November 8, 2012 at 11:33 am

Are you people insane!?
Bragging that she worked out? Not everything needs to be documented?!
Please Meghann, don’t post workout photos on your workout blog and please don’t document your day on this blog that is about your day to day life.

Why are people so mean and critical about things THAT DON’T MATTER AT ALL? I just don’t get it.

27 Leigh November 8, 2012 at 6:45 pm

i have to admit i’m confused by most of these comments. this is a blog. which by its very nature is a personal document from the perspective of the blogger. it’s not a corporate website. this is meghann and her life from her perspective. full stop. if that means pictures someone thinks are un-cute, or juevenile, then read another blog written by a blogger that more suits your interests. not everything needs to be documented? not every blog needs to be read.

28 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution November 8, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Speaking from a health/fitness blogger perspective, the reason we take post-workout photos is because we are a part of a fitness-blogging community that likes to hold each other accountable, and we also have readers (Meghann has many more than I do!) who look to us for inspiration for fitness/health. If that’s not something you’re interested in, I can understand how it would seem like someone was ‘bragging’, but despite not knowing Meghann personally, I can assure you that isn’t what she was doing.

I have the nagging feeling that this comment was meant to be mean or spiteful, but if you really did want to know why the photo was “necessary”, I feel confident that the above is the reason.
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..Date Night, and An Exciting Announcement

29 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 8, 2012 at 7:23 am

I had someone say they thought it was brave that I posted a picture of myself right after waking up without any make up (it was a molly photo…). It never once occurred to me NOT to post a picture without makeup! Haha I don’t wear it at least 3 full days a week… It also never occurred to me that your photo was unflattering, it’s you and you’re beautiful exactly how you are.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

30 molly @ heart, sole & cereal November 8, 2012 at 7:25 am

first of all – the word cute is stupid. puppies are cute. women are strong, women are beautiful, women are sexy, and women are fit…cute should be reserved for tiny things and animals. i love your attitude about this though, and your attitude in general – and not apologizing for being who you are is just one of the millions of things that makes you so inspirational. not to mention badass because anyone who gets up that early while traveling to workout is amazing in my book πŸ™‚
molly @ heart, sole & cereal recently posted..thankfullyyyyyy

31 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale November 8, 2012 at 7:27 am

I would personally be upset if someone told me that I DID look cute after a workout. It would mean that I didn’t push myself as hard as I wanted to. After my workouts, I want to be sweaty and red, with hair all over and a giant goofy smile on my face or sticking my tongue out with exhaustion.
You’ve got it right, Meghann — no apologies!! You’re fabulous just the way you are.
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Embracing My Inner Tortoise

32 Jamie November 8, 2012 at 7:34 am

People who insult strangers over the internet baffle me. Keep on being unapologetically cute. πŸ™‚
Jamie recently posted..I survived Sandy?

33 Taylor November 8, 2012 at 9:02 am

Agreed! It’s a picture of her after working out…Meghann probably didn’t expect such criticism and rudeness over a picture she probably didn’t even think twice about!

34 Julie @ Wearing Mascara November 8, 2012 at 7:34 am

Kudos to you for not letting others bring you down! I’m proud of you for sticking up for yourself.
Julie @ Wearing Mascara recently posted..Two Little Things

35 Kathy November 8, 2012 at 7:40 am

Own it girl….love it that you are so real and true to your self!! Great role model for all!!

36 Amanda November 8, 2012 at 7:43 am

Awesomeness. Don’t forget the awesomeness.

37 Reenie November 8, 2012 at 7:46 am

Thx for keepin’ it real Meg!! =)

38 Arie November 8, 2012 at 7:48 am

way to go you! I love that you keep it real. Dont apologize one bit, you are fabulous!

39 Candice November 8, 2012 at 7:55 am

I just don’t understand the point of posting pictures like this. The tongue sticking out is just… weird. And what is the point of posting pictures of yourself making a stupid face + “being a sweaty mess”? It’s total narcissism.

40 Carolyn November 8, 2012 at 8:55 am

Because it’s a healthy lifestyles blog where she documents what she does to stay fit?
Carolyn recently posted..The Lemon Run

41 Kelly November 8, 2012 at 9:45 am

But what is the need for the stupid face?

42 Meghann November 8, 2012 at 9:48 am

Because it’s fun! And I just wasn’t feeling the cheesy/awkward smile this morning. I was sweaty, I was tired and I wanted to stick my tongue out. πŸ™‚

43 Carolyn November 8, 2012 at 10:02 am

Does there need to be a reason? Because she wants to! Because it’s funny! Because cheesin for a self portrait after a sweat sesh is kind of awkward anyway, might as well embrace it!
Carolyn recently posted..The Lemon Run

44 Meghann November 8, 2012 at 10:04 am

Exactly! Thank you, Carolyn! πŸ™‚

45 Reenie November 8, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Good Grief ~ because that’s “her” personality…. and last I looked it’s “her” blog…..and if she wants to post a pic of her right after she steps outa the shower….. that’s “her” choice to do it!!! Geez…..does there really need to be a reason?

46 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution November 8, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Welcome to the internet. Narcissism central.

47 Morgan November 9, 2012 at 8:45 am

Right, Kristy. Anyone who thinks documenting their entire lifestyle for others to read has to think somewhat highly of themselves. Not a bad thing at all. A person who puts themselves out there on the internet and thinks others will enjoy a peak at their life has to maintain a sort of narcissism.

48 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution November 9, 2012 at 10:27 am

Agreed, and why is it a bad thing to think highly of yourself!? I hate that mentality. You can be confident and not be self-centered.
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..My Top 5 Ways to Stay Healthy at the Office

49 Sarah November 8, 2012 at 8:14 am

Why shouldn’t you be able to post pictures of anything you want? I think we all have the right to look as cute-or not cute- as we want! I think that girl was just jealous… Keep doing what you’re doing πŸ™‚

50 kalli November 8, 2012 at 8:14 am

wow i cant believe anyone would care! you are obviously doing what you want and expressing how you feel. keep it up girl!

51 Army Amy* November 8, 2012 at 8:15 am

Exercise is about being healthy, being strong, being thankful for what your body is capable of. Appearances be damned.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Acht, Huit, Ocho

52 Laura C. November 8, 2012 at 8:17 am

Two things:
1). If you look “cute” after a work out, then you’re not doing it right πŸ˜›
2). I happen to love pictures like this! It’s shows personality and I think that makes it cuter than any “model” pose.

Some people have no class! Never let them dictate what you do and how you are. πŸ™‚

Here’s to more “non-cute” moments!

53 brandalyn November 8, 2012 at 8:24 am

Being fit is cute!!! #haters

54 Silvia @ skinny jeans food November 8, 2012 at 8:24 am

We would still live in a very limiting world where the only acceptable way women can be is ‘cute’.

55 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 8, 2012 at 8:28 am

You go girl! And you own it! Honestly, who wants to finish their workout still looking cute? To me, I’ll feel like I needed to give it a bit more if I’m not a sweaty mess. πŸ™‚
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Boredom Buster Workout

56 Debbie~ November 8, 2012 at 8:30 am

In my opinion, it’s not that the pic is not cute or unflattering it’s that it’s a staged photo. I think if you had taken a genuine picture of how you looked after a sweaty workout that would’ve been cool *shrugs*

57 Cher @ Weddicted November 8, 2012 at 8:37 am

lol.
As for the whole “juvenile” thing, why shouldn’t you be? Here’s my theory on this… I work, I’m finishing my degree online, I pay a mortgage and bills, I cook, clean, do laundry. I miss out on many parties and gatherings with friends because there are often better ways to spend my money (savings) and time (with my husband). However! When I do go out or have people over, if I want to be silly, I’m going to be silly! If I want to drink too much, or play video games, or stick my tongue out in a picture, I’m going to do it. As life goes on and we carry so many responsibilities, it’s nice to know that it’s okay to act a little juvenile once in a while.
Also, do you want to know what is juvenile? And unacceptable? Bullying! The person with the most issues is the girl who immediately felt the desire to post a negative comment on your picture.
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Friday Favourites: Winter wedding

58 Beth @ 990 Square November 8, 2012 at 11:33 am

+1 on this.
Beth @ 990 Square recently posted..Wordless Wednesday 11.7.2012

59 Meghann November 8, 2012 at 11:36 am

Agree.

60 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 8, 2012 at 8:38 am

Love your unapologetic self πŸ™‚

Personally, I love that you don’t always post pictures of yourself that are “traditionally” flattering. It’s a lot more true to life and reflective of your personality!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..A Sprinkled VLOG Debut.

61 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 8, 2012 at 8:43 am

You tell ’em, girl. I’m not among my friends as the person who makes ridiculous facial expressions. In fact, I pride myself on being comfortable enough to not feel the need to smile & look pretty in every photo. Goofy photos show your personality! πŸ˜€

62 Victoria (District Chocoholic) November 8, 2012 at 8:43 am

Didn’t you know that teh womens are only there to be beautiful and decorative? Why are you going to the gym in the first place?

63 Margaret November 9, 2012 at 9:20 am

hahahaaa!

64 sara November 8, 2012 at 8:47 am

blogs are weird. I enjoy reading them, but sometimes when I see all of thee self portrait and highly detailed lives online I think, isnt it all a bit narcissistic? Taking pictures of ourselves, what we eat, what we do. Why not just live our lives? Not trying to be negative, just thinking outoud. I guess its part of the whole facebook culture, something didn’t happend unless you took a picture these days and alerted 4 different types of media! hah.

65 Aimee @ Happy Medium November 8, 2012 at 8:53 am

Wow, I never realized so many people had opinions about tongues!

I like your photo not because it’s cute or un-cute, but because it captures the mood you were feeling after doing something you love. Who cares if someone on the internet doesn’t approve?? Your Instagram stream is a chronicle of what you’re feeling that day, just like your blog.

66 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 8, 2012 at 8:53 am

Ugh, what the heck?! Not a cool comment. Definitely take pride in the fact that you busted your butt and had a great sweat session. So even though it strikes some as “not cute,” it’s definitely real and honest. Keep on sweating, Meghann! πŸ™‚
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Blame it on the Snow

67 Carolyn November 8, 2012 at 8:54 am

I feel like any girl that tells you you’re not cute, probably would say the same thing if you WERE trying to look cute.
Carolyn recently posted..The Lemon Run

68 Amy November 8, 2012 at 9:07 am

You look awesome- except for the tongue sticking out! I think that’s the part that is gross- sorry!

69 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian November 8, 2012 at 9:07 am

NO ONE looks cute after a workout. That’s not the point. You still look cute? You didn’t work out hard enough! Work it, girl!
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..WIAW #31: Oatmeal Season

70 Grace @ Grace Dishes November 8, 2012 at 9:09 am

I beg to differ! You look super cute because it’s NATURAL and REAL!

After a workout, we should all look like you.

When I was in college, I swear so many people just went to the gym to hangout and find boys πŸ™‚ with full make-up and cute outfits.

71 Katie November 8, 2012 at 9:12 am

I saw that comment on instagram and rolled my eyes when I read it. Some people just don’t get it, how is that person even following you? So silly! I think you look great and I love posting post-workout pics because it reminds me of how tough I am, keep up the “not cute” pictures, it helps me know that life is real and we don’t all look like the gorgeous lulu-lemon models they use in advertisements!

72 Nicole November 8, 2012 at 9:13 am

*wild applause* Haters gonna hate. Do your thing anyway. πŸ™‚
Nicole recently posted..A fruity WIAW

73 Caitlin November 8, 2012 at 9:14 am

Whatever! I think you look cute in your pic!

74 Emily N November 8, 2012 at 9:22 am

Good work Meghann. You worked hard, it shows, and I think you look good! πŸ™‚
Emily N recently posted..Winged-it Workout

75 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride November 8, 2012 at 9:23 am

People waste far too much energy putting others down – if only they channeled that energy into making themselves happy πŸ™‚

And for the record, I actually think you look really cute! I love the workout outfit, and totally natural no makeup, hair-up, just worked out look!
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..Wedding Wednesday: My Bachelorette weekend!

76 CaitlinHTP November 8, 2012 at 9:23 am

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS thank you. I got torn apart the other day for posting a photo of myself with my son without makeup on. Dude, this is my life real and what I look like everyday. If you don’t like it, open a magazine and stare at photoshopped models who look perfect instead. I’d rather read about real people.
CaitlinHTP recently posted..Wednesday Notes – November 7, 2012

77 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 8, 2012 at 9:24 am

What a mean comment – who cares what other people think! I think what’s important is to capture daily life, real life – that’s what we’ll care about when we are 70 and looking back at old photos.
Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) recently posted..Food for a day

78 Stephanie November 8, 2012 at 9:26 am

You go girl!! I love this!!!

79 Laura November 8, 2012 at 9:30 am

I thought this was an awesome pic when I saw it! Btw I look way crappier after I work out. πŸ™‚ And I’m still cool with it.
Laura recently posted..The Long Road Home

80 Emily S. November 8, 2012 at 9:32 am

I love your honesty! Totally refreshing! And for the record I do think you look cute! πŸ™‚ I love the look I get after working out hard. I’m sweaty, red, and I know that it was a worthwhile hour! πŸ™‚
Emily S. recently posted..What is Healthy?

81 Lindsey November 8, 2012 at 9:47 am

When can we expect an apologetically stupid post for the ridiculous amount of typos, grammar errors, and overall bad writing? You get called out on those often in the comments and rarely does it put you over the edge in the same manner. You run a personal website that you use for professional purposes. Aren’t you in Miami for an event? Is this post really appropriate?

82 Meghann November 8, 2012 at 9:57 am

Yes, I do have typos and bad grammar. I never said I was a good writer, nor will I ever tell anyone I am (I’m still shocked how many people read this blog!). Yes, I’m in Miami for an event and the first thing I said when I got downstairs was how fired up I was over the comment. This IS a personal website and the companies I work with know who I am, how I work, and respect what I’ve done. This blog is about health and fitness, and it’s out there to inspire people. I write posts like these in hopes that other people won’t feel like they need to apologize for posting photos with their tongues sticking out, without makeup, or just being themselves. They should be proud of being who they are, whether people agree with it or not. I try hard to keep the grammar errors and typos to a minimum, but they happen. I’m a one-woman show and my proof-reading skills only go so far. Some posts I write in a hurry and don’t catch everything, it happens.

83 Lindsey November 8, 2012 at 10:24 am

Even inspirational posts need spell checked and proofread.

Personally– If I had hired you to coordinate an event and you came down in the morning talking about something that happened in your personal life (on your blog that you profit from), I’d be annoyed. You’re on their time. Save the retaliatory “WHATEVER! I DO WHAT I WANT” posts and discussions for another day.

84 Misty Moore November 8, 2012 at 11:15 am

Even inspirational posts need spell checked? I think you meant “Even inspirational posts need TO BE spell checked.” You don’t practice what you preach. If her blog is so grammatically offensive to you then please just save us all your comments and stop reading it.

85 Lauren November 8, 2012 at 11:41 am

Hmmm…. I wonder if Lindsey was paid to write her comment. If so, then she might want to spell check. If not, than I’m pretty sure it’s not a good comparison being made.

And really – there are a number of ways to write the sentence in question. A simple hyphenation would make spell-checked a verb and proofread could be a verb as well. Seriously.

Plus – misspelling tongue (tounge, multiple times) and not being in elementary school as a reason for the misspelling, is a bit ridiculous.

86 Lauren November 8, 2012 at 11:51 am

One more thing – because I sounded more critical than I would have liked – I take no issue with the posting pictures of what your life is really like – just the grammar.

87 Katie November 8, 2012 at 10:26 am

I really think you should look into getting a proofreader. I understand not catching errors, no one catches everything 100%. But I think it would be worth it.

88 Cher @ Weddicted November 8, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Bahahahaha! Everyone makes spelling errors or typos once in a while. Spell check (or expensive proofreaders) do not pick up all mistakes.
If you can’t stand the misuse of “their/there/they’re” or whatever the mistake may be, then don’t read the blog! If you have nothing better to do than read a blog that makes you so disgruntled, that’s sad!
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Friday Favourites: Winter wedding

89 Carolyn November 8, 2012 at 10:09 am

-She has apologized.
-People have different things that set them off.
-Are you not allowed to have a personal life when traveling for work? If not, then you’d be real disappointment by most meeting and event planners.

Sheesh!
Carolyn recently posted..The Lemon Run

90 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution November 8, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Unless you are the one who is paying her to post, I don’t really think she owes you an apology, or cares if you think it’s appropriate. Apparently the folks who hire her don’t find her inappropriate or …they wouldn’t hire her. What I don’t understand is the need to be downright rude and spiteful on blog posts.

91 Jess November 8, 2012 at 9:45 am

Personally I find your approach very refreshing – I for one am sick of bloggers being dishonest, engineering a certain image for themselves and posing for pictures by flexing/sucking everything in/only using one pose or angle for shots.

I get sick of the pressure on women to be ‘cute’ – I don’t wear make-up and I actually can’t do anything about the hair on my legs (thank God I’m blonde) because any type of hair removal (and believe me I’ve tried them all) triggers a huge eczema flare all over my lower body, which looks a whole lot worse than a few hairs! But I’m still self-conscious about it and upset when people stare or make remarks. Perhaps I should also tag all of my race photos as ‘unapologetically not cute’ because none of them are flattering and you’ve encouraged me not to give a damn about that. So thank you!

92 Denise November 8, 2012 at 9:46 am

How rude! You do a great thing by being yourself! One persons opinion is all that is! Thank you for being an inspiration!
Denise recently posted..Whack-a-do Month Already!

93 Amanda Bordonaro November 8, 2012 at 9:46 am

I like the picture. People who have complaints don’t need to comment or look, they can just move on. As so many other have said “haters gunna hate”. They’re the ones who feel the need to complain or call someone who takes a self portrait after the gym a narcissist. It’s a lifestyle and fitness blog – the photo makes sense! Plus, why not document your hard work?! Your photo is fabulous and yours is the only blog I read everyday. Keep being you!

94 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 8, 2012 at 9:49 am

After reading the rest of these comments, all I can say is I ditto (to most of them!)! This is REAL! Don’t ever feel ashamed of that!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Deceptively Different

95 Kelly November 8, 2012 at 9:49 am

I have no problem with anyone posting a sweaty picture after a tough workout. Awesome, go you. It is the stupid face/tongue thing that makes it criticized. You look fucking ridiculous and you are just using this to go “omg they are making fun of me guyz come to my rescue and tell me i’m awesome”. Know meghan, know.

96 Meghann November 8, 2012 at 9:59 am

That was not the point of this post at all. They can make fun of me all they want. I wrote this post to let people know it’s OKAY to be YOU. Be “fucking ridiculous” and OWN it. That’s what I’m doing. πŸ™‚

97 Liza November 8, 2012 at 10:39 am

Ha. Just know.

98 Emily November 8, 2012 at 11:51 am

The real question is … why do YOU care? I would be really interested in hearing how Meghan’s blog causes you personal emotional trauma, and why you continue to read it?
Emily recently posted..Recipe: Sweet Quinoa Breakfast Casserole

99 kate November 8, 2012 at 10:21 pm

HER NAME HAS TWO N’S

100 Claire November 8, 2012 at 9:50 am

You being not cute (and by not cute I mean real) is part of what makes you cute!

101 Jackie November 8, 2012 at 9:53 am

Whatever. You look fine to me!

102 Angie November 8, 2012 at 10:01 am

I’ll never understand the mentality of rude people. Like, what’s the point of leaving that comment?? You don’t even look bad in that photo. You look the same as everyone else after a hard workout. Haters gonna hate, right? πŸ˜‰

103 Holly November 8, 2012 at 10:03 am

It just looks like a face someone would make in their sleep away camp photo or a picture hanging with their friends in middle school. It is juvenile.

And you say in response to a comment that you are fine with being juvenile. But you are closer to 30 than you are to 20, getting married this year, and presumably not super far away from having kids of your own. This blog is supposed to be your profession. That picture is not a professional representation, and the fact that you keep posting pictures like that would make me think twice before hiring you.

Also, I don’t think anyone was saying that it was the fact that you were post-workout that made you gross. It is the gross tongue hanging out! Put it away!!! I get that you get sweaty and work hard–that’s awesome, and part of your life as a fitness blogger. But making the same “silly” face you always do with your tongue hanging out…ugch. I’m not a fan.

104 Annalisa November 8, 2012 at 10:30 am

I have to agree with this statement completely. A sweaty workout photo is great but the tongue out is sort of….grossly juvenile.

On a related note – something to think about — the fact that you monetize your blog makes it a an acceptable place for criticism. Why would it be OK to criticize an individual from a reality show for his or her behavior and/or appearance but somehow bloggers are off-limits? You put it out there, with the ability to self-edit, you should be prepared for a variety of responses.

105 Amanda November 8, 2012 at 11:38 am

The fact that you would take the time to insult a woman for sticking her tongue out in a picture on her personal blog that you chose to read is really hard for me to understand. Meghann is clearly a very nice and sweet and respectful person who just wants to help people and inspire people. Whether or not you think that a personal blog opens her up to criticism isn’t the issue. The real issue is why on earth are you spending your time posting these hurtful comments? Why do you want to criticize her? What do you get out of it? What do you hope she gets out of it? Yes she’s posting about it, but for goodness sake be a compassionate and nice person and relax. There’s far worse things to take offense to. And if it’s that disgusting to you, then stop reading. No one’s forcing you to read this blog. Let the people who enjoy her read it, and take your negativity elsewhere.

She’s taken the higher road and I respect her for that. She’s a real person with real feelings. I just don’t understand why you have to be so mean. To me, it seems as though you need to work on your own self-esteem, confidence and self-worth rather than tearing down someone else’s. Either that or you’re all just really rude.

Seriously, what is so wrong with this picture? I can’t imagine critizing someone based on this picture. I’m actually pretty baffled by how seemingly unhappy and angry people are.

106 Holly November 8, 2012 at 12:03 pm

She has not taken the high road AT ALL. Taking the high road would be not addressing this with a post clearly designed to bring out the commenters in legions to defend her. She did not need to dignify the original Instagram comment with an “eff you guys, I’m awesome!” post, and by doing that, she’s opened herself up to criticism. Just like Meghann has a right to post the picture, we have a right to criticize it.

People are “upset and angry” because Meghann can’t handle an ounce of criticism without asking her white knights to come out and defend her, and she seems to take perverse pride in an unprofessional representation.

107 Jackie November 8, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I thought she posted this because she wanted to make it clear to women that you don’t have to look perfect when you take/post pictures of yourself. People who expect that should date/talk to a photo-shopped model, or someone who cares more about how they look than who they are.

I think (sorry if I’m wrong) that point of this post was to be who you are, all the time, and not try and be pristine and perfect, all the time. I see plenty of female bloggers post post-workout photos on Instagram, usually making funny/exhausted faces. I see no issue with this.

108 Meghan B. November 8, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Just like you have the “right” to criticize her, she has the right to defend herself.

109 Amanda November 8, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I suppose we look at it differently. I read it and thought, “Way to go! Thanks for doing something great for women by defending yourself against such an unwarranted and mean comment” (especially given the whole bullying pandemic we have going on with youth) and others look at it and say “You look fucking ridiculous. Oh and by the way, you can’t spell.” I choose to not be one of those people. I wish more people would do the same. Cut her some slack and relax. Be happy. Be nice. It’s as simple as that.

110 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution November 8, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Why do I get the feeling that all of these negative comments were written by the same person? They all use the same wording and basically say the same thing….interesting.

111 bethany November 8, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Her blog might be her profession, but it is representing HER. She can do whatever she wants, whenever she wants. If that means she’s acting juvenile, then that’s her right. If you don’t like it, look away. If she’s not professional enough for the companies that work with her, then she wouldn’t be successfull at this blog, and that is a consequence she would have to live with. Obviously though, she is hugely successful. I’m positive she is successful because people like that she is genuine, acting herself and giving her real honest opinions on things. Who wants a fake blogger pretending to be someone they aren’t? I don’t. Keep it going Meghann!

112 Cher @ Weddicted November 8, 2012 at 6:03 pm

What is gross about a tongue?
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Friday Favourites: Winter wedding

113 kate November 8, 2012 at 10:25 pm

seriously! when did tongues get such a bad rep? sheesh

114 Coco November 8, 2012 at 10:05 am

I’m with you.. I think you look perfectly acceptable after a workout! I’m always a mess when I leave the gym- that’s the way it should be! πŸ™‚
Coco recently posted..Birthday Weekend

115 Christine @ BookishlyB November 8, 2012 at 10:11 am

In regards to posting the picture, whatever- people post the randomess crap all the time. What I think is a little lame was posting a blog post about it; one that you KNEW would either earn you tons of “you go girl” comments, or just the opposite. Let the haters hate, but don’t give them attention for it!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Bookish (and Not So Bookish) Thoughts

116 Meghann November 8, 2012 at 10:14 am

I will admit that I wrote the post kind of spur of the moment. I hopped out of the shower, whipped out my phone, and typed it up while I was still in a towel. The point of writing the post was to let others know that it’s OKAY to be yourself and keep it real (that’s what always makes me mad – when people make others feel bad for just being themselves). I was also legitimately responding to her question. She asked why I post unflattering photos, so I was giving her my response. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has received a comment like that and I knew others would relate.

117 melissa November 8, 2012 at 11:01 am

Why couldn’t you take a few hours to think about it, though, if you wanted to respond? Firing off a post about one bad comment does strike me as pandering for the “you go girl!” response. You have a public online life, and you obviously get a decent amount of negative comments. I don’t care about the picture, really – I think it’s a bit self-absorbed, but then so is blogging about your life 3x daily, so yes, own that it you want. But responding to one comment without putting any thought into it does come across as immature, and I know you’ve publicly called out negative commenters before in posts. If you’re so secure about the way you act, that shouldn’t be necessary. Be the bigger person and at least stop and think about your reaction before posting. Otherwise, you do just come off as immature and attention-seeking.

118 Emily November 8, 2012 at 11:43 am

The real question is … why do YOU care? I would be really interested in hearing how Meghan’s blog causes you daily trauma. Clearly it bothers you.
Emily recently posted..Recipe: Sweet Quinoa Breakfast Casserole

119 K November 8, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Poor grammar causes me daily trauma. I am an editor. Why do I keep reading? I enjoy her training efforts and content. I could do without the constant grammatical errors. Now you know why I care.

120 Melissa November 8, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Am I not allowed to care? I read her blog every day, which helps attract advertisers, which in turn makes Meghann money and gets her new clients for her social marketing jobs. I enjoy a great deal of what she posts, but this one was disappointing to me.

Or, likewise, why do YOU care about my comment? Clearly it causes you just as much trauma as Meghann’s post did for me. Otherwise you wouldn’t have replied, right – that’s the logic here?

121 Emily November 8, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I see your point, Melissa. Your comment does, in fact, bother me a lot. I hate to see people getting bashed for no reason. Why do we (especially as women) feel the need to tear each other down? You don’t like the way she markets herself? Don’t employ her. You hate her grammar? Move on, or get over it! I would venture to guess that if you weren’t sitting behind a computer screen, you wouldn’t attack people to their face.

… or maybe you would. That probably makes more sense.
Emily recently posted..Recipe: Sweet Quinoa Breakfast Casserole

122 Julie November 8, 2012 at 10:12 am

Man, people must not be busy enough if they have time to criticize pictures and grammar. Ignore the haters, and don’t even pay attention to them!

I love this quote: Great people talk about ideas. Average people talk about things. Small people talk about other people. – Eleanor Roosevelt.

Have a great day! πŸ™‚
Julie recently posted..WIAW [What I Ate Wednesday]: 11.7.2012

123 jessica November 8, 2012 at 10:46 am

this confuses me because to me it takes equal amounts of time to criticize or be positive.

124 Bernadette November 8, 2012 at 10:50 am

LOVE you Meghann… Love your imperfections, I love your Spunk, I love your committment to keeping it REAL.
I’m not usually a commenter on blogs but geez… I am amazed at the way people can criticize something that has absolutely nothing to do with them. They are the ones that choose to read/follow…

Go away if you dont like it at least she’s out there and doing it joyfully.

Keep on Keepin’ on Meghann!
xoxo

125 Katie November 9, 2012 at 12:56 pm

What an awesome quote! Thanks, I’m saving that one πŸ™‚

126 Clare November 8, 2012 at 10:14 am

Wow, you really do get some haters commenting. I like that you don’t take yourself too seriously.

This is a HEALTHY LIVING BLOG. I expect post workout pics. And am happy that they aren’t the same smile.

127 Shannon November 8, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I’m genuinely curious about this…why do you *expect* post-workout pics? Why isn’t it enough to say “I got a treadmill workout in this morning,” describe the workout (what the intervals were, etc.) and leave it at that?

The post-workout pictures are just a bit confusing to me…I truly don’t understand the point of them.

128 Shannon November 8, 2012 at 10:16 am

If people don’t like a picture that isn’t edited, perfected and posed…they can suck it. You look great! Post-work out is one of the moments when I feel my best and I don’t look picture perfect…challenging the traditional idea of ‘cute’ why can’t ‘cute’ mean covered in sweat post work out and feeling quirky?

129 Laura @ Backstage Balance November 8, 2012 at 10:23 am

You go, girl!
Laura @ Backstage Balance recently posted..Recovery

130 Lauren November 8, 2012 at 10:40 am

This is truly an issue affecting all women. You’re a trailblazer, just like Elizabeth Warren and Tammy Baldwin!

131 Nicola November 8, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Hahahahaha

132 Olivia November 8, 2012 at 10:40 am

The unflattering part is you sticking your tongue out. It looks dumb.

133 Megan November 8, 2012 at 10:42 am

You do it — you look great, and fun and like yourself. Ignore the ridiculous people that troll the interwebs! Hope you have a great day!
Megan recently posted..You know, GO VOTE!

134 Jessica November 8, 2012 at 10:45 am

Its a little crazy to me that one comment someone made about your appearance warranted such an intense response from you AND an entire post on the subject. I see what you were trying to do here, but I think the best way to handle it would have been not to respond at all. If you really are not going to care what others think about the pictures you post for the entire world to see, then just let it roll off your back. The post made it into an even bigger deal than it was, in my opinion.

I think everyone is making too big a deal about it. Its not omg-inspirational or brave to post the pic, and its not insanely narcissistic either.

135 Courtney November 8, 2012 at 10:47 am

It’s amazing some things people will say just because they are behind a computer. Bullying at its’ finest. I’m a firm believer that people try to bring others down to bring themselves up.

I think it is a cute, quirky picture of you and GO YOU for being a sweaty mess! As one of your daily readers, I appreciate all the “realness” goin’ on. That’s what we want to see! πŸ™‚
Courtney recently posted..Thankful November

136 Brooke November 8, 2012 at 10:52 am

These negative comments are people that are jealous! They wish they had a blog that tons of people read. Keep being you!

137 Jean November 8, 2012 at 10:56 am

Say what?! Some people have way too much time on their hands.
Jean recently posted..Random Shit Wednesday

138 Allison November 8, 2012 at 11:01 am

I never comment on blogs, but I had to say something. I just don’t get it. If you don’t like Meghann, why do you still read her blog daily and go out your way to comment about how you don’t like her on the internet? Why don’t you just not follow her blog, twitter, instagram etc. and go on with your life? Sure, it takes equal time to be negative and positive, but it sure is a lot more fun to be positive, so why not go and read something that makes you feel good instead of something that makes you act so negative and hateful?

139 Rodri November 8, 2012 at 11:03 am

People become awfully opinionated and rude when sitting behind their screens, huh? When you have something truly constructive to say, it is never laced with negativity like this. Haters really are gon’ hate, and I hope you’re able to laugh all of this off, because it’s absolutely ridiculous.

You can’t please everyone, and if being YOU keeps people away from Meals and Miles, then so be it… they’re not your target audience!

140 Mallory @ Have Your Cake November 8, 2012 at 11:09 am

What baffles me the most about any of this, is that people care this much about a stranger on the internet they (presumably) don’t know/have never met/will never meet! I’m not saying that at all in a negative way towards you; it’s just amusing to me how angry people get about people they don’t even know! What’s the point? I read your blog sometimes but would never think to get annoyed about a silly picture you posted…I wouldn’t get annoyed simply because I wouldn’t go so far as to analyze it, scrutinize it, or really think much about it at all. I just don’t have that kind of time to devote to strangers, haha. But I will say that I respect you for just being yourself and not taking yourself too seriously. Life is short and there are so many more IMPORTANT things to get worked up over. Keep being you.
Mallory @ Have Your Cake recently posted..The Levels of Missing Someone

141 Katie November 8, 2012 at 12:37 pm

AMEN! Not sure why so many people read this blog at all! LOL

142 Wendy November 8, 2012 at 11:23 am

I find it very sad that anyone would take the time to even make a negative comment like that. There is nothing to be gained by it at all. If she doesnt want to see it, why in the world is she following you then? Life is just way too short to focus on the negatives. And i think they old saying still rings true, “If you dont have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all”.

By the way, I think your picture is beautiful. I don’t find the tounge offensive at all. It doesn’t matter what your age is, I think it’s important to let your inner child shine sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

143 Lindsay November 8, 2012 at 11:23 am

Writing a post on a silly little comment is actually a form of apology for posting the picture. Drawing attention to the comment (which you knew would garner a bunch of support from your readers to bolster your confidence) just makes it glaringly obvious how insecure you are about yourself and your looks. You’re not a role model and you’re not blazing any trails here. Just making a mountain out of a molehill. Sometimes remaining silent or taking the high road is the more mature way to solve a problem, and that’s what you should have done in this case. The instagram comment was obviously a dig at you that didn’t deserve a response.

144 kate November 8, 2012 at 10:27 pm

since when did defending yourself and trying to advise other women not to be hurt by such hurtful comments become a sign of weakness?

145 Chelsea @ CardioandCocktails November 8, 2012 at 11:39 am

I guess when people wake up in the morning they have a choice whether they want to be positive or negative that day. You can look down on almost any actions performed by someone else (i.e. that girl doing charity is just trying to make herself look good, posting pictures of yourself working out is just bragging, etc) or you can choose to say “good for you” and move on with your day. This is a personal blog which is written by an individual about her life. While I’m sure that she appreciates each and every follower (I’m pretty sure all of us bloggers do!), no one is required to read what she writes (or look at the pictures that she posts).
Meghann, you worked hard in the gym today, you got sweaty, and I think you looked cute- I’d post that picture too! I’m not sure why so many people have such an issue with your tongue but I feel like a fake grin plastered across your face would be more unrealistic.
I would have written the same thing because I tend to snap back when someone is rude for no reason. And guess what, it’s your place to do it!
Chelsea @ CardioandCocktails recently posted..Screamin’ Muscles

146 Emily November 8, 2012 at 11:39 am

The lengths that people will go to be so critical, constantly amazes me. I love your response earlier “be fucking ridiculousness and OWN IT.” AMEN! All these haters claiming that your blog isn’t “professional” and doling out advice — guess what, people, YOU don’t have to hire her! Clearly Meghan is doing just fine being her and promoting her brand/services. It’s just coming from a place of jealously that they do not have the same gusto to chase after their own dreams.
Emily recently posted..Recipe: Sweet Quinoa Breakfast Casserole

147 Emily November 8, 2012 at 11:40 am

and before someone jumps down MY throat for MY typo …. “ridiculousness” should be “ridiculous.”

I’m imperfect. Shocker.
Emily recently posted..Recipe: Sweet Quinoa Breakfast Casserole

148 Anne Weber-Falk November 8, 2012 at 11:42 am

Wow, all this over a tongue.

149 Danielle @ Long May You Run November 8, 2012 at 11:50 am

Who knew there were so many people out there that cared about your tongue? Hey maybe you should do an inflammatory post about your big toe next. Give people something to REALLY talk about.
Danielle @ Long May You Run recently posted..Rock & Read 5k Race Recap

150 Steph November 8, 2012 at 11:53 am

I love how people hide behind their comments by not posting their emails address and/or blog urls. I doubt many of the comments said would ever be expressed in person. This is why, as a middle school teacher, I make sure my students understand what cyber bullying is, how to avoid it, and how to recognize it as this small bit of anonymity seems to give people a lot more power than in real life.
Steph recently posted..Whine, er wine and cheese

151 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer November 8, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I feel like I say this a lot on your blog, but IT IS YOUR BLOG!! You can and should do whatever makes you happy and stays true to you! F*** what everyone else says! πŸ™‚ That’s my two cents.
Sloane @ Life Food and Beer recently posted..My Wedding Dress and a Million Tacos

152 Annette @FitnessPerks November 8, 2012 at 12:25 pm

If someone did look ‘cute’ after a workout, I’d be worried. Working out should not be dainty. EVER.

But I think you still look awesome! πŸ™‚
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Get GRITty + FitMixer Updates

153 Marie November 8, 2012 at 12:26 pm

1. I doubt half of these people would be defending you if you’d intentionally posted a photo with snot hanging out of your nose or chewed up food in your mouth, which is the way some of us see it.
2. Yes, it’s your right to post whatever photos you want on the internet, but if you’re going to post them on a public forum with commenting enabled, you should be prepared to not always like what you hear.

154 Ashley November 8, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I waited a bit before saying something. I think I can see both sides of this argument. I can see the commenter’s point (not that she’s right) and I can see your point, this is who you are. But, I feel like your initial response to her was pretty awesome. You easily shut her down in the comments section of the instagram post. However, I feel like by coming back here and posting this entry…you are giving her a stage and waaaay too much credit. I could be wrong but I feel like this is exactly what she wanted. She’s now the center of attention of your blog. You are awesome, you know this, your followers know this. I think the entry may have been unneeded.
Ashley recently posted..Other Things

155 ce November 8, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I would rather have a blogger post unflattering photos of her then only perfect-Photoshop photos. I think that you are very brave to put an unflattering picture of you on the internet.

156 Melanie Stuff November 8, 2012 at 12:47 pm

There is never, ever an excuse for rudeness. That person’s comment was incredibly unkind. If someone’s blog gets on my nerves, I stop reading it. There is never a need for unkind comments.

I applaud your willingness to be yourself. Women need more role models who are not constantly worried about looking “cute”. There’s much more to life than what we look like!

157 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed November 8, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Love it!
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..November Fitness Plans

158 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed November 8, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Just read through the comments above (after I posted mine) and couldn’t help but write a follow up. Man… some people are just so intense. Take it down a notch! The negative responses would just make me want to post SO many tongue out pics lol.

πŸ˜›
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..November Fitness Plans

159 Arie November 8, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I think we all should!

160 Lindsay@ prettylittlepardise November 8, 2012 at 12:54 pm

love this!!!!

161 Nicole November 8, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I love this post, I think it is a cute picture because its you being you!
Nicole recently posted..Things I’ve bookmarked this week…

162 jane November 8, 2012 at 12:59 pm

haha this is just ridiculous! when i saw the picture on this post the first thing i thought was “how does she make her tongue go that way?!” lol-is the picture juvenile? sure. do i really care and need to make a mean comment about it? of course not.

163 Jen November 8, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Kudos to you.
Jen recently posted..2012 Presidential Election – Thoughts?

164 Reenie November 8, 2012 at 1:03 pm

What’s juvenile….is all the people who complained about Meghann posting a picture of herself on her blog!! HA!!

165 Ida November 8, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I have mad respect for your willingness to post unflattering photos, or just unposed pictures in general. but since you brought it up, i will say that i could do without the tongue. I feel like there are other, less tacky ways to feign exhaustion.

166 Nikki November 8, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Meghann – I get the route you were trying to take with this post, but I think if you had of just taken this line (just pulled it from your post) – “I’m not going to stop posting β€œunflattering” photos because that’s not who I am. ” and replied to the original instagram comment, it would have been taking a much higher road.
Just my opinion. Keep on doing what you do!

167 Peta November 8, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I think you look really cute actually. You do the tongue thing a lot and it’s just a part of your extroverted personality. It’s not my personality so i wouldn’t do it – so i also think it’s funny. I think it’s sad that women are policing other women about how they look. And who cares about typos?!

168 Mia November 8, 2012 at 2:11 pm

As long as this is a personal blog, I see no reasons for you to waste your time proofreading and editing for grammar mistakes. However, if that is truly the case, you should really remove the title of “professional blogger” from your resume. Professional bloggers adhere to a higher standard of writing and editing.

169 Abby November 8, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I don’t normally comment but I guess this post struck a chord with me. I think I understand the purpose behind it: it’s okay to be who you are and you should be proud of it. However, I think you went about it in the wrong way. Now, instead of listening to your message, people are arguing over whether you should have posted the picture or not and whether your tongue is appropriate or not. As a very popular blogger, you have a wonderful platform to encourage readers on a daily basis. I can’t help but think you could have better conveyed your message with a different type of post after you calmed down. Being defensive rarely wins favor. I really like your blog and read it daily. I think should should keep doing what you’re doing. Maybe just wait a few hours to publish posts like this πŸ™‚

170 Katie November 8, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I actually think that it’s a pretty cute picture…

171 Erica November 8, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I saw that comment and was so confused. Why do people say stuff like that? Too much time on their hands? I dunno. Anywho…I actually think you do look cute! And like you worked hard. And even if you didn’t- who cares???
Erica recently posted..Baked Cinnamon & Sugar Pumpkin Donut Holes

172 Sam November 8, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I’ve been reading your blog for years and enjoy reading about your workouts and races. So definetely not a hater here-but I don’t understand the need to document everything with a picture. I’m not necessarily talking about your blog, but some of my favorite blogs have photos of the most trivial things that absolutely do not enhance the content of the post.For example-fuzzy, out of focus pictures, etc. Pictures of a blogger after a workout doesn’t really do much to tell me about the workout itself. I don’t think this is necessarily about your tongue out or having make up on or not–it is about massive posting of pictures that don’t really speak 1000 words.

173 Meghan November 8, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Because it’s her blog and she can do what she wants? Why do people post Facebook status updates about trivial and meaningless topics? Because it’s their facebook. It’s her style to document with a picture, which is clearly what her readers want to see, seeing as she has a strong following.

174 Sam November 8, 2012 at 4:52 pm

So because it is her blog and she can do what she wants means that my opinion as a long time reader is not valid? I am not asking Megan to change, I am just stating my opinion. And this is totally different that facebook statuses–for most people social networking is for fun. This blog is Meghann’s livelihood and maybe she can grow as a professional from some occasional constructive criticism. In my opinion, sometimes less is more–that is all that I am saying.

175 Beth November 8, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Goodness! I saw the list of comments and it didn’t even dawn on me that people would be offended or upset about this post at all. I thought they’d all be saying “Go Meghann!” Oh well. You can’t please everyone. Keep on doing your thang lady. They keep coming back to read it for some reason right? πŸ˜‰

176 Angela November 8, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I think you people tend to forget the fact that Meghann is a person just like everyone else. Reading blogs on the internet probably takes people away from this reality. She has feelings and makes mistakes just like any other human. No one likes to be put down and made fun of because they are being themselves. Would you rather have Meghann pretend to be something she is not? Meghann keeps her mind open to constructive critism, but saying that she looks gross because she posted a silly photo of herself is the complete opposite of that. In fact, doing so is just outright mean. Saying that she should not be acting juvenille is completely heinous, also. Maybe some of you cat ladies need to loosen up and act a little more childish once in a while.

177 Jamie @ StudioEats November 8, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Love how real you are!! Don’t know why people post such rude comments. I saw that post on instagram and chuckled. It’s real!
Jamie @ StudioEats recently posted..WIAW {Nov.7.2012}

178 Colleen November 8, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I just have to throw this out there. Would this ‘discussion’ be taking place if Meghann was a guy? I don’t think so. And that is why I am not friends with lot of females compared to males. Males don’t judge, belittle, etc. other males or their good female friends. Females on the other hand do.

179 Jessica November 8, 2012 at 3:38 pm

A good point and I would usually agree, but I cannot think of one time a male has posted this kind of picture with his tongue hanging out. (And I could be wrong, I have just never seen one, personally.)

180 Mia November 8, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Bullshit. Guys don’t post their pictures for the sole purpose of getting compliments. And, if they did, they would be called out for doing it as well.

181 anna November 8, 2012 at 3:40 pm

This whole thing is ridiculous. You all should let the people who hire her be the judge of her “professionalism.” She’s obviously still getting jobs and working regularly so something about her must be right!

182 ct cupcake November 8, 2012 at 3:50 pm

There are many sides to this post-you can’t really have your cake and eat it too. If you want to be taken seriously as professional writer and blogger, improving your proofreading is a must. It seems contradictory to say “it’s a personal blog so I can post any goofy pic I want” when it’s also your actual money-making job. On the other hand, you can’t put slightly silly pics out there and get mad when people comment, whether they are saying you’re fishing for compliments, the tongue hanging out is silly, or even slight snarky comments. You have to take good with the bad.
ct cupcake recently posted..Just Do It!

183 Debbie~ November 8, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Love this comment!!!

184 Mo November 8, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I guess I know what people are worried about now that the Presidential Election is over.
Why do people {aka women} feel the need to put each other down? I for one, wouldn’t have posted that picture if it was of myself. But you have the right to post whatever you want.
Go on with your bad self, Meghann!! πŸ™‚
Mo recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

185 Louise November 8, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Isn’t the point of this post to say that you don’t have to look cute all the time and I’m sure her FH thinks she looks good anyway. I know that at the end of a workout some of us don’t look cute and that’s ok the point of life is to be happy and healthy not just cute and attractive to strangers.

186 Kristin November 8, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I loved the picture! As soon as I saw it I thought “Meghann is so fun and silly!” My favorite thing about this site is how real you are, which makes me come back daily to see what you are up to!
Kristin recently posted..Dogs and Elections

187 Morgan November 8, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I don’t have an issue with anything except the fact that you are wearing a plastic bracelet from a race weeks ago to your “job” this week. It is pretty obvious you are doing it for attention and I don’t quite get why.

I am glad you are cool with being viewed as juvenile, but I sure hope you realize that marriage is a grown up part of life, or should be at least. I like your blog but I think you should take some of the criticism under consideration if you ever want to be taken seriously.

188 Meghan November 8, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Love it and what you stand for. I really try to teach my students exceptance of EVERYONE and do not be so quick to jump on someone when they say or do something…
Meghan recently posted..First Sandy now Snow!

189 Morgan November 8, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I hope you teach them spelling, as well. It’s “acceptance” Meghan.

190 Lauren @ Part Time House Wife November 8, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I always feel jealous of the girls that post the “not cute” photos of themselves because they still manage to look cute not looking cute! I wish I had the balls to post a not cute picture of myself and not over analyze how not cute I might look! You look adorable… love it
Lauren @ Part Time House Wife recently posted..Cheesy Baked Spaghetti & Sausage

191 Lauren @ Part Time House Wife November 8, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Ps…I just read through a lot of these comments. I can not believe all the negativity and complaints and bashes about you and how juvienile and unprofessional you are! LMAO…Why keep reading if your content bothers them so much?
I also noticed that most if not all the negativity came from NON-bloggers with any kind of link back to them. So easy to be a meany behind a computer screen! Especially when it’s not really understood how difficult it can be to write good content with new posts daily filled with personality.

What people clearly aren’t getting is that you’re hired based off of the content you post and your personality…Tongue out and all…
Lauren @ Part Time House Wife recently posted..Cheesy Baked Spaghetti & Sausage

192 Nina November 9, 2012 at 5:33 pm

The fact that I don’t have a blog has nothing to do with being a “meany behind a computer screen”. I don’t have a blog, simple as that. Some of us use pen and paper, and don’t need to tell the world everything we ate, or don’t journal at all. It’s a silly assumption to make about a group of people. What is it that you want from the non bloggers, our phone numbers?

193 Ali November 8, 2012 at 5:38 pm

OK, this post was upsetting for several reasons. I come here to get inspiration, here about your daily life and to just generally feel connected to others who are trying to lead positive lives. I have no idea why someone feels the need to criticize certain aspects of your life or the way you carry yourself. At the end of the day, we are all human and calling someone down for typos or pictures that are a true expression of how you were feeling that day is just so wrong on so many levels. It just boggles my mind why anyone would feel the need to criticize. If I come across things I don’t like on a blog, I sometimes just choose not to go back but I would never, ever feel that I have the right to make a negative or derogatory comment about that person – essentially what comes across as more of a personal attack than any desire to provide constructive criticism. It’s funny too that most of those people don’t have their own site or don’t disclose it. One of the many things that makes living in this day of technology somewhat disturbing; that people can sit on their couch in the privacy of their own home and make hurtful comments (bully) someone they don’t know. Anyway I applaud you and guess what, you’re not alone… even the beautiful Katie likes to be silly sometimes

Life is too short, just do you and that’s enough.

194 Allie November 8, 2012 at 6:31 pm

This is exactly how I feel! I’m not trolling the internet looking for something or someone to criticize or demean. I look for blogs that are fun to read, inspiring and most of all showcase who the blogger really is! Reading blogs is such a fun time of the day for me and I just do not understand how some people could just attack you for being YOU! Also — not all people without personal blogs are meanies, although I have started blog topics for my own launch next week πŸ™‚ Thanks for being real Meghann! Women have really got to stop ripping each other apart..

195 Ali November 8, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Oops, just realized I spelled “hear” as here in one sentence. Hopefully I won’t be attacked for that by the trolls. πŸ˜‰

196 Sonia the Mexigarian November 8, 2012 at 6:24 pm

i saw the image this morning while I was still waking up and thought to myself “hey, that’s how I look after a run”. I was writing up a future post of how uh, primal, i get when exercising and your post here, gives me the push to post it really soon πŸ™‚

i think it’s a fun honest picture, btw. and i suck at grammar too. lol.
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..It’s all a blur. . . .

197 Sarah November 8, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Good on ya! You are not sharing portraits, you are sharing pictures of life! πŸ™‚
Sarah recently posted..Enough Points and You Win, Right?

198 Corey November 8, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Meghann, you look adorable and REAL in this picture, like you said. Please, please tell me you will delete all of these mean comments or at least completely ignore them. I’m so sad that people can be so hurtful to each other:(. Your blog is fun and inspirational, and these comments are shockingly rude. Keep being you girl, you ROCK!

199 lisa fine November 8, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Wow. Just got finished reading through the comments, and all I could think of was how the same people leaving nasty comments here are the same people saying nasty things on GOMI and other sites. It’s so ridiculous – I don’t get why people would waste so much energy to be negative. Life’s too short, folks.
lisa fine recently posted..curried bean and kale chili

200 Ali November 8, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I think you always look adorable! Your fun personality shines through in all of your pictures and that’s nothing to be ashamed about. Looking at the pictures of you right after a workout looking sweaty and so accomplished motivates me to get out there and sweat too!

201 Kristen November 8, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Wow, good thing you have thick skin. Some of us were taught manners – if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say (otr type) anything at all!

202 Heather November 8, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Meghann, I think you are great! AND you inspired me to sign up for my first marathon in March =)

203 kate November 8, 2012 at 10:34 pm

ditto, i signed up for a half marathon in december because of you. i may have less positive feelings of you as i’m running it and think what did i get myself into, but i love seeing women be as active as you are

204 Coby November 8, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I used to want to have a blog to help with inspiration/motivation. But I’ve noticed lately on several of my favorite blogs, that doesn’t seem to be the case. People are so unnecessarily negative and hateful. It really makes me sad. In the same amount of time it takes to tear someone down, you could have built them up instead. Why not do that? I will not be blogging my journey.

205 Jess from Team Awesome November 8, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Jeeeez. I’m glad that you posted this. I totally get your point. We should not be worried about having to pose or look perfect for every photo or appearance. That isn’t real life!

In fact, most of the reason I love your blog so much is because it is real. You give us the good with the bad! Serious and the silly.

And for people getting on to Meghann for being “immature”, man am I glad we aren’t friends. I like that you can be silly! Some people have pointed out that you get work from this blog, are “closer to 30 than 20” and are getting married soon. I guess they think that’s a reason to stop having fun?! I certainly don’t want friends of any age or coworkers who can’t shake it up and get a little goofy!

You keep on being Unapologetically You and encouraging others to be who they are!
Jess from Team Awesome recently posted..A Letter to my Health #NHBPM

206 [email protected] November 8, 2012 at 9:54 pm

This is the weirdest stream of comments. Bloggers post sweaty photos constantly and I didnt realize it was a big deal. Ive posted pictures after Bikram yoga where I looked punched in the face because Im proud of my workout. I think if people have an issue with the writer or the content then they should probably just delete it from their reading list and move on. Ive done that with blogs in the past. I happen to find you fun and take no issue with the photo. Be as quirky as you want. πŸ™‚
[email protected] recently posted..A Running Win and A Running Fail

207 Lindsey November 8, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I just found out that GOMI existed. I know it’s hard not to care, but maybe you could write a post about how you deal with those people picking you apart. They ‘snark’ on you, yet they need to get to your blog by clicking (and subsequently making YOU money in the process). I know you have a ‘thick skin,’ but this stuff must get to you. It bothers me just reading it. I am wondering what your honest thoughts are about GOMI. I just feel like if people want to rip you apart, why spend time on your blog?

208 Meghann November 8, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Short answer: I don’t read it. Sometimes it’s better just to stay away from it.

209 Lindsey November 8, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Good for you! I think that website is absolutely ridiculous. Especially in a day and age when bullying is such a large issue in society. I couldn’t believe the comments I was reading. It is ridiculous how people ‘snark’ just to make themselves feel better. No one is forcing them to read your blog! Keep on keepin’ on, that’s what I say!

210 Margaret November 9, 2012 at 9:27 am

So true. It’s just vitriolic and stupid for the lack of a better word. It also is a sad commentary on what we as a society have reverted to.

211 Nina November 9, 2012 at 5:37 pm

@@ GOMI has some extremely intelligent contributors, and for the most part was formed because there are a lot of bloggers who are not like Meghann and won’t let any criticism through whatsoever. They want a community of readers but completely exclude anyone who has anything negative to say. I have no problem with Meghann and enjoy her blog because she reminds me of a lot of my friends, but to say that it’s not allowed to be critiqued is ridiculous. GOMI is essentially the Yelp for blogs. Both are businesses, and both should hear critiques to help them improve.

212 Jasmine, bama + ry November 8, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Oh Meghann…

Young, athletic, bride to be with a very cute fiance… Runs ridiculous distances just because she can… Makes her dreams come true and blogs about it.

Not a lot to hate, but a whole lot to hate on.

Obviously, you’re doing something right. Keep on keepin on, my sweet friend. πŸ˜‰
Jasmine, bama + ry recently posted..Add a Stone to Any Necklace by BamaRy

213 Tahlia November 8, 2012 at 11:29 pm

I get the point being made in this post. I don’t get the need for swearing, or saying that she wouldn’t be hired because of pictures like this. Not like she got her boobs out people! Its a fitness and healthy living blog and I think Meaghann does an excellent job at representing the companies she works with.

214 Joy November 9, 2012 at 5:41 am

I actually think that’s an adorable picture of you
Joy recently posted..Friday fill ins

215 carol November 9, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Jeesh!

216 amyt November 9, 2012 at 1:02 pm

The comments on your posts are so nit-picky at times…..so what – if you want to be silly in a pic at times, big deal – we have the right. I think that’s how we all feel after a workout “whewwww” tongue out. I just don’t see how people cannot just move on and not look at it if they do not like it. I don’t like everything I read…I just skip over it.

217 Alyse November 9, 2012 at 1:05 pm

F*ck being “cute”. Personally I enjoyed the picture. And after a tough workout, my tongue falls out. Just happens.

And BTW, you can do whatever you want with your tongue so long as you don’t lick me with it.
Alyse recently posted..Day 434

218 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy November 9, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I just found this post from Katie’s blog, looked at the picture, and my first thought was, “she looks cute!” It’s your account, you can post what you want! I put pictures of myself on my blog of what I looked like after my half marathon, and I know that I looked “gross,” but I was proud of the accomplishment!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Friday Things

219 Kelly G November 9, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Clearly there are are some haters who for some reason, like to read your blog and then criticize you. Makes no sense. You look great and I see nothing wrong with just being yourself!

220 Sarah November 9, 2012 at 10:22 pm

You may like this – thought-inducing post entitled “You Don’t Have to Be Pretty.” I read it the other day and it really struck a chord.

221 Melissa @ Mouthwatering Morsel November 10, 2012 at 12:34 am

when I saw that comment I thought that person was kidding but they never answered your question … rude people. love this post. I thought you were cute when I saw it. love that you’re real!
Melissa @ Mouthwatering Morsel recently posted..I Love Hockey

222 Lauren @ The Homeostatic Mindset November 10, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Your blog. Your body. Your camera. Your face. You do what you want. No need to justify anything. Keep on being unapologetically YOU!!!!
Lauren @ The Homeostatic Mindset recently posted..The Best Medicine

223 Ashley @ This Is The Place November 11, 2012 at 9:27 am

I love this post. Personally, I think you look like you had a kick ass workout and have a good attitude about it! If you can make a goofy face post-workout, then you’re happy and that’s awesome!

Why post the pic? Um, because you are a fitness blogger!! It’s perfectly appropriate! If people don’t want to see it, then they should read cooking blogs or fashion blogs or anything else and unfollow you. I followed a blog once where the girl constantly posted pictures of her shoes/feet. I didn’t get it so I stopped following. Whatever…I wouldn’t criticize her for it!! It’s her blog and my choice to read it. Why be mean about something that you’re CHOOSING to look at??

You’re awesome Megan! Keep it up!
Ashley @ This Is The Place recently posted..NYCM: How Not to Treat Customers

224 Joanna @ Running Places November 12, 2012 at 11:53 pm

The sad thing about blogging is that it opens up to this criticism. But I think anything we do can be criticized. I think you look cute. And, as for anyone saying you’re posting it for workout props or some nisht like that, get off it. You’re posting a pic of what you love to do! I think post workout sweaty afterglow is a great thing to share πŸ™‚
Joanna @ Running Places recently posted..Why I’m a Health-Blogger Who Still Drinks Diet Soda

225 Meghann November 8, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Yes, Jackie, that was my point. Thank you.