In the can

by Meghann on November 8, 2012

Day 2 of Social Mobile Payments is in the can!

It’s always bittersweet when a conference you’ve worked on comes to an end. All those months of planning and *poof* it’s over like that. We had a great team organizing this event and I had a blast working with them. As always, I learned a ton (especially about the mobile payment space!) and look forward to putting that new knowledge to use in the future. (For anyone who is curious about Social Mobile Payments, here’s a post about what I learned at the last event I worked with them on).

The morning started with breakfast and refreshments.

20121108_071100.jpg

20121108_071106.jpg

I had an orange and a bacon/egg croissant-wich.

20121108_071348.jpg

Lunch was the “homestyle buffet”

20121108_122320.jpg

20121108_122329.jpg

My plate full of salad, potatoes, chicken, meatloaf, and green beans.

20121108_122731.jpg

I downloaded a new book to listen to on the drive home.

YouAreAnIronman.jpg

“As he did so masterfully in his New York Times bestseller The Gatekeepers, Jacques Steinberg creates a compelling portrait of people obsessed with reaching a life-defining goal. In this instance, the target is an Ironman triathlon-a 2.4-mile open-water swim followed by a 112-mile bike ride, then finally a 26-mile marathon run, all of which must be completed in no more than seventeen hours.Steinberg focuses not on the professional who live off the prize money and sponsorships, but on a handful of triathletes who regard the sport as a hobby. Vividly capturing the grueling preparation, the suspense of completing each event of the triathlon, and the spectacular feats of human endurance, Steinberg plumbs the physical and emotional toll as well as the psychological payoff of the participants of the Ford Ironman Arizona 2009. His You Are an Ironman is both a riveting sports narrative and a fascinating, behind-the-scenes study of what makes these athletes keep going.”

A blog reader had recommended You Are An Ironman after I signed up for Ironman Florida and, after reading the description, I couldn’t download it fast enough. I love that it follows the journey of 6-average joes instead of pro-athletes. I can’t wait to get started on it! Don’t worry, I’ll have a review up once I finish it.

Alright, time to hit the road!

See you in Tampa!

Psst… I added a new post to the wedding page. Have you ever played “I Spy” at a wedding? Check out the little game I created for our guests thanks to a little inspiration from Pinterest.

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 8, 2012 at 3:43 pm

That sounds like a great book for you to read right now, and a great reference! I read Born to Run last winter while I was contemplating running the Chicago Marathon. Haha it made me want to just run all day!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

2 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer November 8, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I planned my wedding for months and it seemed like it was over in 2 seconds! It’s crazy how much you prepare for stuff and how fast it goes by!!
Sloane @ Life Food and Beer recently posted..My Wedding Dress and a Million Tacos

3 Michelle November 8, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I read that book a few weeks ago and liked it for the most part. Sometimes it was just really drawn out but overall it’s a good read
Michelle recently posted..Travel Thursday–Cologne

4 Julie @ Swim…Bike…Running on Empty November 8, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I recently read that book and loved it. Like you said, it’s fun to read about the ‘everyday person’ training for the race of their life. As someone who is aspiring to do a 70.3 next summer, it was a great source of motivation. I also just finished Chrissie Wellington’s book which was so interesting to read as I never knew how unique her pre-triathlon background was.
Julie @ Swim…Bike…Running on Empty recently posted..Snow Day Take 2

5 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 8, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I’ll be interested to see what you think of the book. Since I’m not a triathlete, I probably wouldn’t ever pick it up, but the fact that it’s not about pro-athletes intrigues me!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Deceptively Different

6 Janine @ The Purple Giraffe November 8, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Hahah! I saw the title of your post and was actually terrified of what I was about to read… “in the can” has always referred to “on the toilet” in this neck of the woods! Ha!
Janine @ The Purple Giraffe recently posted..Drink Up, Link Up #13!

7 Jamie @ StudioEats November 8, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Yum, breakfast looks delicious. I am now craving Egg & Cheese croissant sandwich!
Jamie @ StudioEats recently posted..WIAW {Nov.7.2012}

8 BroccoliHut November 8, 2012 at 5:31 pm

It sounds like planning a conference is a bit like planning a wedding–so much effort and time devoted to it, and it’s over before you know it. (Clearly, I’m feeling a little despondent that my wedding day has come and gone!)
That lunch buffet looks wonderful! I’ll take one of everything please.

9 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale November 8, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I love average Joe victory stories. To be honest, I usually find them more inspiring than ones that follow pro-athletes.
Like during the Olympics, I’d rather hear stories about the guy who came in 10th but has a great background story than hear about the superstars that shatter world records but who are totally arrogant jerks.
I’m glad the conference went smoothly!! Safe travels and can’t wait to hear your book review!!
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Embracing My Inner Tortoise

10 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 8, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Meghann, I read “You Are An Ironman” during Hurricane Sandy–you’ll love it! Although I admire professional triathletes, I love hearing how “normal” age-groupers balance training with family, work, and life. In total sap fashion, I teared up during some parts. (I’m also the girl who cries watching any triathlon coverage because people inspire me so much. ;))
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Crock Pot Success

11 Kate November 8, 2012 at 11:01 pm

That book looks great! I’ll have to add it to my list.
Kate recently posted..Class: Vegetarian Food for Fitness

12 Becky @ runfundone November 9, 2012 at 12:47 am

That book looks SUPER good!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..My First Virtual Race: The Cupcake Classic 5k

13 Megan November 9, 2012 at 8:11 am

maybe it’s my lack of coffee this morning, but don’t you mean “it’s in the bag”? Saying “its in the can” seems like your saying it’s in the trash.. more negative. As someone who runs conferences and events, I wouldn’t want a day to be in the trash [can]…

maybe I’m reading it wrong. .. just food for thought

14 Emily N November 9, 2012 at 11:06 am

i need to go back and read that mobile payments blog from your first time working with them. I am interested since i work for a company that is pretty involved in that space… hmmm…
Emily N recently posted..Good Form Running Clinic