Workin’ It

by Meghann on November 7, 2012

Hola! Greetings from Social Mobile Payments Conference in beautiful Miami, Florida.

20121107_161624.jpg

I recruited the lovely Amanda to help with today’s events (p.s. LOVE her!). Together we took care of checking everyone in, handling all of the attendee/hotel questions, making sure lunch and food breaks went smoothly, and basically just did whatever else was needed. We were the go-to girls for the day – if there was a problem, we found the solution.

Luckily there weren’t any problems. We ran about 30 minutes behind and had some issues with the WiFI password, but if those were our biggest issues of the day, I’d say the day was a success. 🙂

My morning began with breakfast and some MUCH needed coffee. I stayed up way too late watching election coverage and couldn’t get coffee in fast enough!

20121107_071548.jpg

For food, I had one of the yogurt parfaits and a buttery croissant.

20121107_071833.jpg

I also had an orange once the morning rush died down.

20121107_082509.jpg

Lunch was served buffet style in the Bayview room.

20121107_115530.jpg

We did a plated lunch last time and the attendees hated it. I think they prefer the buffet option so they can eat at their leisure and check emails or run to their room if needed. Makes more sense to do buffet in that aspect and something to keep in mind for future events. We did the wrap buffet, which featured a variety of wraps, greens, yucca, and vegetable soup.

20121107_115540.jpg 20121107_115544.jpg

20121107_123950.jpg

I made a plate with salad, yucca fries, and a turkey bacon wrap with a bowl of vegetable soup on the side. The vegetable soup was the highlight of the lunch.

20121107_124323.jpg

Instead of an afternoon coffee break, we had juice and bottled smoothies, which were a hit. I missed the smoothies and juices, but did have a Peanut Honey Pretzel Luna Bar (the new-to-me flavor has a great savory/sweet combination flavor going on).

20121107_145932.jpg

It wasn’t until the sessions were over, and I headed outside for the networking cocktail party, that I realized I hadn’t been outside all day. When you’re staying at the same hotel as the conference, it’s easy to go a whole day without going outside!

20121107_184758.jpg

This photo doesn’t do the view justice! The bay was gorgeous all lit up.

20121107_181143.jpg

Dinner was a group outing to the hotel’s restaurant.

20121107_203434.jpg

Shared apps

20121107_210249.jpg 20121107_210244.jpg

Strawberry salad (with a delicious citrus dressing)

20121107_212234.jpg

We had two options for our entree: the seared grouper or steak. I was torn because I really wanted the steak, but wasn’t in the mood for the side items that came with it. The pureed edamame that came with the grouper sounded better, but I wasn’t feeling the grouper. I asked the server if I could combine the steak and edamame but he laughed at me (literally) and told me he didn’t think the combo would be good together. I smiled, conceded, and ordered the grouper.

20121107_214154.jpg

Luckily one of my dining partners listened in on the whole ordeal and promised me half his steak if I shared half of my fish. Deal.

20121107_214342.jpg

I ended up eating all of the steak and leaving the majority of the grouper. And you know what? The pureed edamame was excellent with the steak – they worked perfectly together. When the server returned to clear the plates, we had a good laugh about it and he promised he would try the two items together in the future to see for himself. 🙂

I had about half of the key lime pie served for dessert

20121107_220048.jpg

Then called it a night. It’s been a long day and I’m ready for the start of another long one in the morning. 🙂

Have you ever had an odd meal request at a restaurant (combining dishes, substituting, etc)?

Good Night!

1 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 8, 2012 at 6:40 am

Since I’m soy and gluten intolerant, and avoid other things due to IBS, I make a lot of weird requests. However I’ve never had anyone tell me I was wrong! Only miscommunications, like don’t cook my omelet in oil (there’s usually soy), I’ve had several waiters just stare at me confused…
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW–Pumpkin Craziness

2 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale November 8, 2012 at 7:35 am

I don’t remember ever making THAT odd a request at a restaurant … perhaps because I haven’t ever had the confidence to ask …? Hm. Perhaps I’ll have to do that in the future!!
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Embracing My Inner Tortoise

3 NYC Fit GIrl November 8, 2012 at 8:14 am

I always have off meal request at restaurants because I am such a picky eater. lol
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..30 minute AMRAP? what?

4 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 8, 2012 at 8:35 am

I don’t think I’e ever made a request like that! Usually, if I change up a meal it’s something like removing the mushrooms or onions (dislike them both raw) or no butter on the toast. I’m just not that adventurous!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..A Sprinkled VLOG Debut.

5 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 8, 2012 at 9:13 am

Do you watch Dexter? Last time I was in Miami for a work conference my husband kept trying to get me to go find his TV-apartment! Haha
Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) recently posted..Food for a day

6 Meghann November 8, 2012 at 9:28 am

haha I thought that show was filmed in LA?

7 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 8, 2012 at 9:30 am

I’m sure it is – they seldom film shows in the location they are supposedly in. Oh well!!
Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) recently posted..Food for a day

8 Sonia the Mexigarian November 8, 2012 at 6:13 pm

His TV apartment is in Long Beach I think, along with some other “Miami” buildings.
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..It’s all a blur. . . .

9 Katie November 8, 2012 at 9:29 am

I don’t make many off the track requests, but I do tend to ask waiters a lot of questions! I always figure that they’re more familiar with the menu than I am and they may as well share their secrets! (I get pretty disappointed when a waiter says “everything is good”). And the edamame didn’t sound weird to me, and I was surprised that you didn’t override him to begin with. However, I love sharing so I’m glad the guy next you shared! Woohoo!
Katie recently posted..Floods and Races

10 Margo November 8, 2012 at 9:36 am

My favorite pizza is pineapple and black olives. Totally weird, but I love the sweet and salty combo. I once ordered this at a restaurant and server said it sounded like I was high and had the munchies. Normally I would laugh this off, but I was with my boss and some other co-workers and was really embarrassed.

11 Caitlin M November 8, 2012 at 10:02 am

Is that top from Loft? It looks like one I almost bought and now I’m kicking myself! xo

12 Meghann November 8, 2012 at 10:04 am

Yes! Love it!

13 Ali November 8, 2012 at 10:37 am

The Luna peanut honey pretzel bars are my favorite for long bike rides!! The salty-ness helps me from getting sweet overload. I even had one during my HIM this past summer.

14 Heather F. November 8, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Where is that striped shirt from?? Super cute!

15 Meghann November 8, 2012 at 12:48 pm

The Loft!

16 Meghan @ After the Ivy League November 8, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I’m surprised they wouldn’t let you do that! I feel the same way ordering at a restaurant, I want the salmon but not the rice, I’d rather have potatoes. Usually they switch it up for me no problem, crazy!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..WIAW #10: Then and Now

17 Tahlia November 8, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I’m a waitress and I would never tell someone I don’t think that combo goes together. Its up to individual taste. I must admit though that when someone asks whats good I do say everything is only because it is at my workplace 🙂