Wedding: Registry Snooping

by Meghann on November 7, 2012

I’ve developed a nasty little habit this week. I’ve started registry snooping.

Screen shot 2012-11-07 at 2.43.04 PM.png

It started innocently enough… I was adding a new item to our registry… I noticed a bright green PURCHASED over one of the top items…my curiosity was sparked… and all of a sudden I’m scrolling through the entire registry looking for other bright green PURCHASED labels.

Screen shot 2012-11-07 at 2.39.27 PM.png

Do you know those kids that couldn’t wait to sneak a peek at their presents before Christmas? Yep, that was me. What am I saying? That’s still me. The truth is I’m not a fan of surprises and, when it comes down to it, I’m just not that patient. If a book is full of too much suspense, I’ll skip ahead and read the last chapter because I can’t stand not knowing what’s going to happen. In my opinion, it’s a surprise no matter when you find out, so why not find out sooner? Right? Right? 😉

I’ve started checking the list daily and can’t seem to pull myself away. It’s like Christmas everyday. You know you’ve officially moved to adulthood when you and your fiance rake up as much enthusiasm as a five-year old waking up to their first bike on Christmas morning when you realize someone purchased the vacuum you’ve been pining over since you created the registry 8 months prior. WE GOT THE VACUUM?!?! HONEY! COME QUICK!! WE GOT THE VACUUM!! *cue happy dance*

I love it. 🙂

Did you registry snoop? Or did you keep everything a big surprise until your shower/ wedding day?

Also, what’s your stance on using gifts as they arrive? Open them up and starting using them? Or wait until after the wedding to put that mixer to work?

1 Chelsea November 7, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I registry-snooped. Be careful– it made it hard to fake surprise at my shower. 😉

2 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer November 7, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I am such a snooper. Most recently with our baby registry… I couldn’t wait to see if someone got something I really wanted. and I would TOTALLY use them right away! I’m not that patient at all.
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..WIAW: “Good Conscience” Waffles

3 jameil November 7, 2012 at 3:06 pm

My husband and I LOVED peeking at the registry! It’s still a surprise if you don’t look at who bought it! I loved trying to guess who bought what, then seeing it when it arrived. If I didn’t use something THE DAY it arrived, I patted myself on the back. I don’t think people purchase things for you for it to sit in the box. (Although my BFF is really big on waiting until THE DAY of whatever the gift is for. I tell everyone if you don’t want me to open it when it arrives, time it perfectly! LOL)

4 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 7, 2012 at 3:13 pm

HAhahahaha I would totally snoop on my registry! Although I’m definitely not the type to read ahead in a book, I really like being surprised! But I don’t think I could resist snooping at a registry like that!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Pumpkin Craziness

5 Colleen November 7, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I would have totally been a snooper if online registries existed when I got married 20 years ago. We walked around Filene’s and Lechmere with a paper and pen. Both stores, now long gone. We also didn’t live together so all the presents were laid out on my mom’s dining room table after the shower, like the original Father of the Bride.

6 Cara November 7, 2012 at 3:30 pm

For birthdays and Christmas’ I like a surprise but for our wedding I totally registry snooped! Though it was fun at the shower and wedding to see who actually purchased the item, so there was some element of surprise 🙂 And yes, we were entirely too excited when we saw household items being purchase as well!
Cara recently posted..Corn Chowder in Bread Bowls

7 Kathy November 7, 2012 at 3:33 pm

ha! It depended on who the gift was from…if it was a friend I think we opened it up but if it was an aunt or other relative where my parents or in-laws would want to be there when it was opened then we waited. 😉

8 Life's a Bowl November 7, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Hahaha I was and still AM that girl too 😛 My momma had to get veryyy creative hiding our Christmas presents after she realized that I snooped… I would unwrap and rewrap them, so bad! Now my husband and I are just as bad and can’t wait to give each other gifts so we tend to do it the night before the actual holiday! And of course, I was a registry snooper. It takes away some of the fun but at the same time you were the ones who put the items on the list so you have some idea of what you’re gonna get and you’ll always receive gifts that aren’t on your list, surprise!
Life’s a Bowl recently posted..WIAW 11.7.12 // Rain to Snow?!

9 Cher @ Weddicted November 7, 2012 at 4:05 pm

What! That’s bizarre – do people give you the gifts before your wedding?

We didn’t register because we had been living together for over 2 years at the time of our wedding and we really have everything we need (aside from big ticket items like a new washing machine and mattress, both things we purchased using money that we received as gifts). We literally only got 3 actual gifts for our wedding, haha.

BUT, if I got something before the wedding.. hmm, I don’t know. Probably depends what the person giving it to me had to say about it! If they said to go ahead and open it right away, then I’d probably use it, too!
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Friday Favourites: Winter wedding

10 Heather November 7, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I totally snooped on both our baby registry and wedding registry. I liked playing guess who… I was wrong about so many of them but dead on some of them. Most items for the wedding we didn’t use except a few that I knew were meant for me to go ahead and use. Like my mom got me a new coffee pot for one of my showers because she knew mine took a nosedive. Obviously for the baby shower I unpacked before the oldest arrived and washed items so that they were ready. The younger one decided to make his debut a month early and I was so not prepared for it.

11 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale November 7, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Oh boy — the snooping!! It tears me in half. I’m always curious and want to know SOOO bad, but I know that it’ll be better as a surprise. When I was reading Harry Potter, I did it with a paper covering the right hand side of the book so my eyes wouldn’t leap ahead. As I was moving through the end of Deathly Hallows, I needed a second paper to run down the side that I was reading as well. I knew that if my eyes skipped ahead, I would want to keep skimming and would ruin everything for myself — it was just too precious to me to ruin!!
If/when the time comes for my registry, pretty sure I’m going to register all at once and then have my fiance change the password. haha
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..WIAW — Pumpkin Pasta Edition

12 Stacy November 7, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I have the answer to your question!

You can use your gifts in advance with one exception: If the gift is monogramed with your married name or initials, it is considered bad luck to use it.

Hope this helps!
Congrats!! We’re getting married 6 months after you (July 5th), and I’m so excited for when the registry actually starts being used!
Stacy recently posted..Sun is Up!

13 Jennifer November 7, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I was a snooper and the now husband hated it so I would hide it from him. Be careful, because although fun to see what you are getting, it can be equally upsetting to see what you are not getting. Good luck.

14 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife November 7, 2012 at 5:19 pm

this is so funny! I hate surprises too so I would definitely be doing the same thing! (: Eric would probably tell me to stop though haha.. and i wouldn’t! (:

15 Hillary November 7, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I’m interested to hear what people say about using the gifts. My dad just threw my fiance and me an engagement party, and we got some REALLY great stuff. Problem is, we’re not getting married until April of 2014. Do I just store my glorious new coffee pot until then??

16 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife November 8, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Technically yes. If not, be prepared to buy a new one just in case the wedding doesn’t happen. It’s not pessimism, just proper etiquette.
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..Wreathing

17 N November 10, 2012 at 11:41 am

Hey Hillary, just read Anne’s response to your etiquette question. From all of the websites I have seen, it is NOT necessary to wait until after your wedding to use your gifts. In fact, it is not necessary to return a gift if you have opened it already. Of course if the wedding doesn’t happen, you should return unused and unopened gifts, but anything opened and used is okay to keep. Check out The Wedding Book, Martha Stewart, or any other “credible” authority on the matter and you’ll see that you don’t have anything to worry about! Just don’t want you to worry (as I would after reading Anne’s comment) when you don’t have to. Also, yeh, it would be a waste to have the coffee pot sit for another two years because that would waste time on the warranty.

18 Hillary November 14, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Thanks for the advice, ladies!
Hillary recently posted..Nike Women’s Half Marathon DC—Yay or Nay?

19 Theodora November 7, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I obviously have never had my own registry…but I’m sure I would snoop. HOWEVER, I totally snoop on other people’s registries.
Theodora recently posted..After the Marathon

20 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 7, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I tried soooo hard not to snoop but it was so hard! I think I took a peek once and felt guilty that I quit – hah! I definitely like snooping other peoples though.
Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) recently posted..Crockpot Southwest Chicken Soup

21 Holly November 7, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I think you mean “Registry Snooping.” Not Registration. Just saying.

22 Meghann November 7, 2012 at 7:52 pm

You’re right! Not sure what I was thinking, just fixed it. 🙂

23 Holly November 7, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Nice! Now go back to snooping 🙂 I did it too. Though a LOT of people for some reason didn’t go through my registry correctly, so the items didn’t show up as bought…. and I ended up with a lot of things I didn’t know I was getting.

24 Andrea November 7, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I was definitely a snooper! But here’s a positive (and you can double check) but I’m pretty sure I read that its okay to send thank you notes early for gifts opened early. So then you don’t have as many to do at once!

25 Cait @ Beyond Bananas November 8, 2012 at 6:03 am

I was a total snooper. It was pretty bad. I didn’t get any gifts before my shower – but once I had my shower (where I got most of the gifts that were purchased), everything was fair game.

There are still things we haven’t used (think roasting pans for holidays, some serving platters…) but the vacuum… yeah that went on the night we got it. Mixer? I had to test it to make sure it made delicious cookies! 🙂
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Balsamic Green Beans with Pearl Onions.. and a Giveaway

26 Melissa November 8, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I never looked at the registry (except once by accident like you) but my husband’s sister totally did before her wedding. I liked being surprised after the wedding as we opened gifts. That being said though, if we got something for a shower gift, we totally used it! If we hadn’t been living together though we probably wouldn’t have.

27 crystal d. November 8, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I went to our registries everyday to see what people were getting us!! It couldn’t help but look. They just made it too easy to go and snoop around! I am with you. No matter what it is a surprise. Whether I found out by snooping or found out by unwrapping a box! So snoop away!!! Haha!! We didn’t use anything until after we got married. Not sure why. Just the way it worked out I guess.

28 BroccoliHut November 8, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I was a total registry snoop! It was actually a good thing that I peeked, because I ended up having to add items several weeks ago when most of the registry had been purchased but lots of guests still wanted to buy gifts. Obviously, that was a fun day 🙂

29 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife November 8, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I refused to snoop until AFTER my bridal showers, because I wanted to be surprised by my friends and family in person. Then it was a free-for-all. I mean, especially if you live far away from your wedding city, people are more likely to ship the presents to you. So it’s not too long between it being purchased and showing up at your door step.
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..Wreathing

30 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife November 8, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Also, it is considered bad form to use wedding gifts before the wedding. The thought is that in case the wedding does not occur, you are supposed to return the gift and it’s easier to return unopened gifts.
I also felt like it was bad luck. I only used one gift that was given to us superduper early (6 months early) and the giver told us to use it. It was just a set of dishes though.
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..Wreathing