more ยป" />

It’s Over!

by Meghann on November 7, 2012

Oh man, thank goodness presidential elections only happen once every four years, I’m not sure I could handle this anxiety anymore than that! Watching the results pour in was a nail biting experience! The election was called an hour ago, and I’m still glued to the tv taking it all in. Must. Stop. Watching. TV.

However, I can’t say I’ve ever been more proud to be an American. No matter who won, I’m proud of how many people got out there and VOTED! My cousin waited in line this evening at a precinct in Orlando for THREE hours to exercise her right to vote. The whole time she waited, I followed her Facebook statuses as she had nothing but nice things to say about the experience. Instead of complaining about the line, she mentioned how happy she was to even have the right to wait in line to vote, she also spoke of how supportive everyone in line remained through the wait; the person behind her even had her daughter deliver dinner for everyone waiting. That made me proud. Yes, she was one of the ones still waiting well after the polls closed, but she kept waiting and did get her vote in.

And, now that the election is over, can I just say how HAPPY I am that the campaign ads are OVER?!?! Woo hoo!! There needs to be a special celebration for that. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Before I glued myself to the tv, I worked the registration booth at the Social Mobile Payments kick-off vino party.

20121106_170742.jpg

The vino was courtesy of our sponsor, PressPay, who had custom labels created for the event. How cute are they?

20121106_170946.jpg

I had one (or three!) glasses of the sparkling wine while signing folks in.

20121106_174313.jpg

I also nibbled on some of the cheese we had on display.

20121106_172732.jpg

Registration teamwork!

20121106_195310.jpg

As the party started winding down, we transitioned to The City Hall Restaurant for dinner.

20121106_203912.jpg

A pre-fixe menu was laid out ahead of time.

20121106_204013.jpg

Unfortunately, my food photos weren’t great, so you’ll just have to take my word that the baked eggplant ROCKED and the salmon was light, flavorful, and delicious.

Oh, and the bread pudding was AMAZING. The chocolate chips were really what put this dessert over the edge. Yum. Yum. And more yum.

20121106_222124.jpg

Thank you, City Hall, for feeding my election results addiction during dinner. ๐Ÿ˜‰

20121106_205028.jpg

I have to say, it was fun to watch all the results come in with a big group of people. The whole restaurant would cheer as each state was called. Luckily the person sitting to my left and right had both voted for the same guy I did, so we took comfort in biting our nails together as we cheered our guy on. ๐Ÿ™‚

Alright. TIme to turn the tv off and get to bed.

Good night!

1 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale November 7, 2012 at 5:22 am

I can’t believe the stories of dedication to voting that are surfacing … I’ve never waited more than 5min at a polling station here in Canada (for municipal, provincial, or federal elections!) — and I’ve gone at peak hours!
It’s great to hear that people are finally rising to the challenge and voting!! Our right to vote (especially as women, but everyone in general) was something that our fore-families faught hard to get and to keep. I find it ridiculous that people will not vote, and then complain about the government!! Here’s to having a voice and speaking up when required!
And ohmygoodness, does that bread pudding EVER look good!! I haven’t had bread pudding in forever. I might need to find a recipe to tackle! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..WIAW โ€” Pumpkin Pasta Edition

2 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 7, 2012 at 6:05 am

I tried to live stream the election results on my computer but my Internet wasn’t cooperating, I found out the results from Facebook! There were some very opinionated statuses…
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Last Chance!

3 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 7, 2012 at 7:38 am

I’m SO glad it’s all over and hope we can stop all of the political talk and come together as a nation – we have a lot to accomplish and we make it a lot harder when we’re divided.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..WIAW // Chipped Tooth

4 Allison November 7, 2012 at 7:46 am

Meghann you looks so gorgeous in that picture with the red dress! LOVE the hair ๐Ÿ™‚

5 kate November 7, 2012 at 3:58 pm

i thought the same thing! you look absolutely beautiful

6 Carolyn November 7, 2012 at 8:57 am

Not election related – where did you get that dress?! I love it!
Carolyn recently posted..The Lemon Run

7 Nancy November 7, 2012 at 9:07 am

I am so happy the election is over! I miss real commercials.

Also, what Carolyn said — where did you get your dress? It’s really cute!
Nancy recently posted..roundup / save it for a rainy day

8 Melissa November 7, 2012 at 9:12 am

I was up too late last night too (well, 9:45pm BUT THIS IS LATE FOR ME, as I get up at 4:30 am to workout). I couldn’t stop watching. I had major anxiety last night…I was even ‘stress eating’ a bag of chips — I never do that! When I finally felt like it was “over” (that I could rest easy that Obama won), I went to bed, but I still felt anxious.

But was SO HAPPY when I checked my phone this morning to see the USA Today alert that Obama won! PHEW!!!

Also wanted to say that I LOVE your hair in that pic! You look uber cute.

9 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 7, 2012 at 9:34 am

That’s such a great story about your cousin. It’s so nice to hear positive things when so much of this has been negative! I, too, couldn’t stop watching TV, and my stomach was tied up in knots every time they got ready to call a new state! Have they even called Florida yet? Last time I checked it was too close to call.

Love that red dress! So pretty!

10 Beth @ 990 Square November 7, 2012 at 9:35 am

I’m glad it’s over, and I hope the country can come back together. We all may disagree on a lot of things, but we are all still americans.
Beth @ 990 Square recently posted..Wordless Wednesday 11.7.2012

11 Jennifer L November 7, 2012 at 10:12 am

I woke up today actually feeling so much more relaxed, specifically because all of this is over! I’m happy Obama was reelected and I’m ECSTATIC the ads and emails are over! Thank god these elections are only every four years, although everyone should get riled up for all federal elections (and state too!). Our government doesn’t hinge on one man!

Anyway, so glad for things to go back to normal. Peaceful peaceful normal <– at least compared to this last year!
Jennifer L recently posted..Welcome ๐Ÿ™‚

12 Emily N November 7, 2012 at 10:48 am

Yeah, I just needed to go to bed. But how exciting for both you and I to be in such important states!
Emily N recently posted..Winged-it Workout

13 Alison (AlisonCanRead) November 7, 2012 at 11:01 am

My husband waited 5 hours to vote! We only moved to Montana a month ago. Luckily, MT allows same day registration, so he was able to register and vote yesterday. I registered and voted on Monday. I thought I had it bad, because I had to wait an hour.

They’d already called Montana for Romney by the time he voted ๐Ÿ™‚

Gotta admire him for the stamina to wait. He was just determined to cancel out all my votes. He spent the 5 hours talking to a dog-loving Obama supporter (my husband is a staunch conservative who also hates my dog).
Alison (AlisonCanRead) recently posted..Waiting on Wednesday: 2013 Titles I’m Dying For

14 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats November 7, 2012 at 11:33 am

Ugh I am so happy that the election is over! I wasn’t feeling well last night so I loaded up on cold meds and passed out. It was kinda refreshing to just wake and be told who was president instead of watching state by state, vote by vote ๐Ÿ™‚
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..When will Floridians learn to count?

15 Elisabeth November 7, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever waited more than about 10 min to vote (I’ve always lived in Ohio & have voted since 2000). I’m very impressed with the dedication of people who have to wait that long! Good for them ๐Ÿ™‚

16 [email protected] November 7, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Very glad it’s over and all of the political FB statuses can stop, but I also feel very proud to be an American and be able to exercise my right to vote.
[email protected] recently posted..What I ate Wednesday!!

17 Nina November 7, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Pssst prix fixe! I also stayed up waaay too late (for my normal 9-10pm bedtime haha) for these elections! It’s nice to see people fired up, wish it happened year round!