Go Vote!

by Meghann on November 6, 2012

Happy Election Day!

12796_10151308915680829_707099669_n.jpg

Since I’m in Miami today, I voted early on Friday. This is the third presidential election I’ve had the right to vote in (see my post about voting in 2008!), and I never plan to take that right for granted for a second. No matter your political affiliation please exercise your right to vote today. (unless you voted early or sent in an absentee ballot – then ROCK on 😉 ).

Have you voted yet? What are you waiting for?! Do it!

It’s hard to escape the amazing views this hotel has to offer of Miami.

View from the treadmill.

20121106_070207.jpg

(I ran 3 miles while watching election updates on the Today Show)

View from breakfast.

20121106_075732.jpg

If you are a frequent traveler and don’t belong to any hotel rewards programs – why not? They’re usually free to sign up for and once you earn enough points you get great rewards, like access to a delicious concierge breakfast buffet.

20121106_080530.jpg

I ended up not touching the oatmeal and instead went back for seconds of eggs and fruit (and bacon!). Yum!

20121106_075737.jpg

Do you see that bridge? The big one in the back?

20121106_070210.jpg

That’s the bridge we ran over (TWICE!) for Miami 70.3 two weeks ago. My legs started hurting just looking at.

A couple of notes:

• I left my phone charger at home (boo!) and tried the trick I’ve seen on Pinterest where you ask the front desk for an extra charger since – apparently – so many people leave chargers behind (I’ve left more than one charger behind in my day, so I like to think of it as paying it forward). It didn’t work. They didn’t have one, nor did the hotel next door. There’s a Best Buy Mobile nearby that I plan on hitting up ASAP.
  • After breakfast, I went to what I thought was my hotel room only to realize my key didn’t work. Turns out that wasn’t my hotel room. I remembered the last two numbers of my room, but not the floor it was on – whoops! I went to three different floors before I finally found the room that was actually mine. Doh!

Have you ever had luck asking the front desk for a phone charger? Have you ever forgot your hotel room number and had to try a couple of floors before finding the one that was actually yours? 😉

1 Melissa November 6, 2012 at 9:13 am

I *love* hotel reward programs (as well as airline programs too…I’m a little bit obsessed with them to be honest!) I’m a Marriott Silver member and I always try to stay at Marriott properties when traveling — although my next trip is at a Hilton. Of course, though, I had to sign up for Hilton’s program too. 🙂

2 Nikole November 6, 2012 at 9:26 am

My husband travels every week for work so we accumulate a lot of points. We paid for our 10 day honeymoon in Italy with airline and hotel points. Hilton is the best! Even in Europe they treated us like royalty. The intercontinental group (ie Holiday Inn) was not good in Italy.

3 NYC Fit GIrl November 6, 2012 at 9:29 am

I voted!! I love hotel rewards programs! It’s such a nice easy way to get upgraded! I have never done either of those but it made me lol
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..Go Vote

4 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 6, 2012 at 9:46 am

Ah, that’s a neat trick to get a charger! Have to file it away in case I forgot mine one day.
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Hey, You Never Know

5 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 6, 2012 at 9:51 am

I voted early yesterday! Thanks for the message. It’s especially important in your state today!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..It’s Never Too Early

6 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale November 6, 2012 at 9:52 am

Last year, I went to a resort in Cuba for a week — even on the very last day of our visit, I STILL had to ask my cousin to help me find my way from the pool to our room. I’m incredibly directionally challenged and just couldn’t seem to figure it out!!

7 Brittany @Berries and Barbells November 6, 2012 at 9:55 am

I get my hotel room wrong all the time. I’m NOT at all good with directions…or numbers! 🙂
Brittany @Berries and Barbells recently posted..My First Injury

8 Courtney November 6, 2012 at 10:08 am

What views! Fortunately, I’ve never had any hotel mishaps; however, I definitely don’t travel as much as you do. Enjoy your time!
Courtney recently posted..It’s That Time Again!

9 Emily N November 6, 2012 at 10:28 am

Okay, that is HILARIOUS that you forgot what floor you were on.

Voted!!!
Emily N recently posted..Christmas Shopping + my LR

10 Ashley November 6, 2012 at 10:29 am

Pretty funny forgetting your hotel room. I hope the rest of your day goes well. We’ve had a very similar morning so far, but I think your view was way better. ( I stared at a wall for all 3 miles).
Ashley recently posted..Other Things

11 Annette @FitnessPerks November 6, 2012 at 10:29 am

Hotel rewards programs are awesome!

I did that to my car the other day….went to the wrong one. Awesome.
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Pull-ups?

12 Em @ Yep. I Ate That. November 6, 2012 at 10:36 am

I’d be running all the time if that were my view!
Em @ Yep. I Ate That. recently posted..Spicy Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds

13 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 6, 2012 at 10:43 am

I think HLS was the first time I’d stayed in a hotel in years… lol so no hotel rewards programs for me!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Last Chance!

14 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 6, 2012 at 11:13 am

I voted but I’m sad that there were no stickers at my place =( haha

I woke up early, didn’t think I even had time for make up, and got to the poll with no line! It was fantastic and I got to work 15 minutes early!
Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) recently posted..Tuesday Topic: How to “Bulk Up” your meals

15 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City November 6, 2012 at 11:42 am

What beautiful views, especially from the treadmill! That’s so much better than staring at a wall or even worse at yourself in a mirror!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Running Q&A {11-06-2012}

16 Tori @ In Love and Peanut Butter November 6, 2012 at 12:06 pm

A few years ago before the Disney Marathon I ran down to my car at 3am on race morning to get something I forgot. When I returned to the hotel room I was sharing with my Mom I was frantically knocking for her to let me in from the cold. A few minutes later a man answered the door sleepy and confused. I was one floor up… So embarrassing.
Tori @ In Love and Peanut Butter recently posted..Someday, when the time is right…

17 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 6, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Can honestly say I’ve never forgotten my room number/floor…that’s pretty hilarious!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..freEDom: Why I Stopped Counting Calories (Again).

18 Ebernst November 6, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I love hotel reward programs! I travel a ton for work and am elite for most hotels and finally for an airline! YAY! I love getting awesome goodie bags and free bags on flights!

I seem to regularly forget my cell phone charager (or worse laptop charger..on a work trip) and usually just hit up target or walmart to buy one and then return it once I get home. I’ve asked at hotel lobbies too, but it can be hard to find your charger!

And yay for voting!

19 Katie @ running4cupcakes November 6, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Voted this morning. . . took Luke (my 7 months old!) with me too and got a ‘I voted’ sticker for him too!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Weekend Update: 11/4/12

20 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna November 6, 2012 at 2:55 pm

i’m drooling over that fresh fruit. what i’d give for some fresh strawberries right now! i’m definitely getting tired of bananas and apples that i eat every day in the dining halls haha 🙁
Julianna @ Julianna Bananna recently posted..My First IFT Class!

21 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions November 6, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I had to vote absentee this year, but you better believe I voted! I think it’s extremely important to vote in every single election, whether it’s the presidential election or a school board election, especially if you’re not a white male. Hundreds of women and hundreds of African-Americans suffered so that those of us who do not fall into the white male category could have a voice in government, and we owe a huge debt of gratitude to them for what they did. To not exercise your right to vote when so many people went through so much to get you that right is unless you have an exceptionally valid reason to not exercise that right is unacceptable as far as I’m concerned.

I’m not a member of a hotel rewards program, but I am a member of Amtrak’s rewards program, and it’s INCREDIBLE. It’s unreal how quickly you can rack up points to get free tickets with them.
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..I Miss You College, Oh Yes I Do