more ยป" />

What did I just do?

by Meghann on November 5, 2012

Good Morning!

Thank you for all of the words of encouragement after signing up for Ironman Florida 2013! My siblings and I are BEYOND excited about this. We spent the whole ride home researching different training plans and thinking “are we really doing this?!” Yes, yes we are.

And, yes, signing up was our plan all along. After I ran Augusta last year I wrote a post called “What comes after 70.3?” where I state my intentions of doing a full 140.6 in 2013, I also mentioned the possibility of registering for the race after I signed up to volunteer last spring. Registering for the race yesterday has been the plan for over a year now, but it definitely feels more real now that I’ve signed the dotted line and handed my credit card over for the sizeable registration fee (full Ironman races are NOT cheap!).

Right now my plan is to keep my base for running, swimming, and cycling through the remainder of 2012 (I have two half marathons in the next couple of months and I plan to continue joining my swim team at the pool, as well as do some casual weekend rides), then start a concrete solid training plan in early 2013. There’s still more details to work through with training and finding a plan, but I’m ready to commit and can’t wait to share the journey!

On another note, I would say 9 out of 10 of the awesome folks that we volunteered with on Saturday were also volunteering for a guaranteed spot for 2013. The spirit and excitement that was running through our group before and after the finishers started coming in was unreal. Even if you were volunteering without any intention of registering for the race, it would be hard not to get caught up in everyone’s excitement and find yourself in line waiting to hand over your credit card too. ;)

20121103_180251.jpg

We drove home yesterday still on cloud nine. It’s probably a good thing we’re all race-aholics because that’s pretty much all we talked about – training, expectations, goals, etc. If you weren’t into triathlons, running, or training, I’m sure the car ride would have been very boring – but we loved it.

Road trip food:

PicsArt_1352127696482.jpg

• Brunch: omelet from First Watch
  • Snacks: mixed nuts, tangerines, Peanut Butter Snickers, pear, Starbucks
  • Linner: rice bowl from an Asian restaurant in Gainesville

We got back to my parents’ house around 8:00, then I hightailed it back to Tampa (fueled on Starbucks and Glee) with Maddie sleeping peacefully on the backseat (I owe Fido a big thank you bone for wearing her out).

Derek was actually on his Bachelor Party Cruise all weekend, so it was nice to see him and hear all about his wild weekend away. I missed him. :)

This morning I was up bright and early (yay for morning sunshine!) for CrossFit.

20121105_080006.jpg

Today’s WOD started with a timed 400 and I was thrilled to be the first female across the finish line in 1:19! Now I just need to work on catching up to those guys who came in at 1:07 and 1:09 (wowza! they’re fast!). We have a quick group, so it was a great little race we had going! Then we moved on to barbell lunges, which KILLED me! I realized pretty quickly that my right leg is much stronger than my left leg, so while I could hit the goal reps on my right, I was struggling with my left. I need to work on balancing them out.

20121105_080022.jpg

I managed to max out at 75 lbs (at 6 reps) and am darn proud of that number! :) The 44 was the number of pull ups (with band assistance!) and wall balls we could get in 5 minutes at a rotation of 20 seconds per move.

Breakfast came in the form of eggs and apple slices.

eggs with spinach

apple slices with almond butter

Yum. Yum. Yum.

This coming week is going to be crazy (I’m driving down to Miami this afternoon to help execute an event I’ve been assisting with planning for months now), but I’m ready for it!

How was your weekend? Any big plans for the week?

1 Emily November 5, 2012 at 10:32 am

I was SO giddy while reading your post yesterday!! An incredible adventure lies before you. :) I can’t imagine a better way to spend the next several months; training for an IRONMAN! Go get ‘em, Meghan!

2 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution November 5, 2012 at 10:33 am

The mere thought of doing an Ironman makes my stomach do flip-flops! Can’t wait to hear all about your training.

3 Courtney November 5, 2012 at 10:35 am

I think it’s so awesome that you signed up for an Ironman! And to have your family to train with, that is seriously amazing. :) How are you liking CrossFit?

4 Meghann November 5, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I’m still really enjoying it! It’s truly addicting and everyone I’ve taken a class with has been super supportive and amazing. Plus, I feel so STRONG afterwards!

5 Johanna November 5, 2012 at 10:38 am

Meghann

Congrats to you for volunteering AND signing up for an Ironman. Excited to follow your progress and cheer you on!

Eat well. Be happy. Love life. –> Sounds like you are doing just that!
Johanna :)

6 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 5, 2012 at 10:41 am

I still can’t believe you did it! This is going to be crazy! I’m so excited for you :)

7 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale November 5, 2012 at 10:42 am

As always, I read this post at the wrong time — your food pictures are always so amazing, and it’s still a while until lunchtime!! Darn! ;)
I love how resolved you sound about your future training. It’s always great to have a plan, but leave room for flexibility and I think you’ve done this fabulously!! I can’t wait to read all about your training over the coming year! :D
I had an excellent weekend and am looking forward to another fabulous week — I’m glad to be hitting it well rested and with a giant smile on my face.

8 lisa fine November 5, 2012 at 10:45 am

Woohoo! That is just awesome.

Did all of you grow up playing sports/being athletic? Or is this a newish thing for you all?

9 Meghann November 5, 2012 at 1:36 pm

We all played soccer and I cheered in high school, but didn’t pick up running until after college.

10 Jamie @ StudioEats November 5, 2012 at 10:45 am

You are amazing and will pull through like you do with everything else!

11 theresa @ aspoonfulofsunshine November 5, 2012 at 11:04 am

Congrats!!! That is so exciting that you signed up for a full IronMan, and I think doing it with your sibs, is the best idea ever!

12 NYC Fit GIrl November 5, 2012 at 11:07 am

I am looking forward to going home (the jersey shore) and volunteering this weekend and helping my parents clean up the house :-)

13 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 5, 2012 at 11:31 am

I’m still so excited for you guys so I hope it’s alright that I’m living vicariously through you! I’m not sure that my body would be able to handle that (with past injuries and asthma), plus I’m really not a strong swimmer (or biker or runner), but I do love to push myself and may someday do a tri, but that’s still up for debate. ;)

14 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats November 5, 2012 at 11:36 am

Wowza! Full Ironman?! I can’t even imagine. I am pretty excited to live through your training though. It’s awesome that your siblings are doing it as well, great support!

15 Jean November 5, 2012 at 11:37 am

I wish I had active and willing siblings to train for stuff with! You guys seem like you have so much fun together.

16 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 5, 2012 at 11:55 am

Have a safe drive today! And that’s so great that you’ll be training with your brother and sister, I’m sure it will be a lot more fun and you’ll have much better support by going through training together!

17 Cher @ Weddicted November 5, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Congrats again!

Easy week of work for me and then celebrating my husband’s birthday!

18 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride November 5, 2012 at 12:13 pm

So incredible you signed up for the full ironman! I am so excited to follow your training and experience!

19 Jaclyn @ justjac November 5, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Congrats on registering for the full in 2013! Wow that sounds like a lot of work but it will be fun to do it with your siblings and you guys sounds motivated so I’m looking forward to following *er, readign* along while you train, and do ti! best of luck with that!

Miami, again?! What are you going down for?

20 Meghann November 5, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I’m coordinating the Social Mobile Payments conference down there.

21 Charlie (therunnerbeans) November 5, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I’ve just signed up for my first triathlon next summer so looking forward to hearing all about your Ironman training to keep me inspired!

22 Courtney November 5, 2012 at 1:26 pm

How exciting! I look forward to seeing your training come together for the Ironman race. It’s on my bucket list, but, oh boy, between the cost and the time, it’s quite the investment for a hobby. Kudos to you for taking the plunge, though!

23 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 5, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Please share your definite training plan when it’s solidified! I’m such a trigeek, and I love hearing about exactly what other triathletes do to prepare for events. I’d also be interested to hear how marathoning and triathloning can be fused together; a lot of people discourage training for both a marathon and a triathlon simultaneously, so I’d love to hear how you balance it. :)

24 Meghann November 5, 2012 at 1:51 pm

What if you’re running a marathon as part of your triathlon? ;) There’s a great blog (Geek Turned Athlete) where she ran a marathon as part of her training for her full Ironman and ended up PRing by a good chunk of time without even trying. Her Full IM training actually worked in her favor for the marathon.

25 Annette @FitnessPerks November 5, 2012 at 2:11 pm

That is so cool that you signed up for the ironman! Very tough stuff!

26 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions November 5, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I’m seriously SO impressed that you’re going to do a full Ironman! Accomplishing any one of those three disciplines at that distance is wildly impressive on its own–to do all three in one shot is beyond inspiring. I can’t wait to hear all about your training!

27 Xiomara @ parkesdale November 5, 2012 at 3:13 pm

You are just so amazing! I’m so happy you can share this with your siblings. Can’t wait to read about it.

28 Alex November 5, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Congratulations! I’m so excited for you! You’re such an inspiration, and I wish you the best of luck as you embark on your Ironman training! It’s so awesome to see someone challenge themselves like you do!

29 Rebecca November 5, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Ok, so another blogging friend volunteered for an Ironman race and then entered the next day, so I was thinking “well heck, I shouldn’t volunteer because maybe I will want to sign up”….now I get it ;-)

Can’t wait to read all about your training! It will be lots of work but totally worth it in the end!

30 Brittany @Berries and Barbells November 5, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I can’t wait to hear about your training for an IRONMAN!! Wow! You are incredible. Way to take the plunge.

31 Jon November 6, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Congrats on making the decision to go full Ironman next year. As a 4x Ironman I can tell you the last mile is the greatest feeling. Training for it is as much mental as it is physical. For what it’s worth, I suggest you either get a coach who is willing to do more than just put a plan on paper or have a friend who has gone through the process of training for, then racing, a full Ironman to talk to during your training to help you with the ups, the downs, and the training plan in general.