Wedding: 2 Months To Go!

by Meghann on November 5, 2012

Holy moly. Only two months? Where does the time go?!

TwoMonthsToGO.jpg

Here’s what we’ve got…

Stuff currently “in the works”

• cowgirl boots + cardigans for bridesmaids <- I think only one bridesmaid is missing boots now
  • Derek’s wedding band
  • Location for rehearsal dinner <— Derek’s parents working on this.
  • To book the honeymoon <— we’ve booked the resort – just need airline tickets
  • Something for the flower girl to carry <– my grandpa is working on this, just saw a photo yesterday and looks good!
  • Bridesmaids gifts <– saw a photo of the first one and LOVE it!
  • Songs for: ceremony, introductions, father/daughter dance
  • Groomsmen gifts (tie + ?)
  • Ceremony script <–honestly, we’re not sure where to begin
  • Decorations <– we’ve started collecting random pieces

And here’s what we still need (thinking long term here):

• Chair rentals (for ceremony)
  • Gifts for parents <- NEED TO ORDER ASAP
  • Day-of timelines
  • Center pieces (have an idea. need to connect with my aunt again)
  • Programs? (I’m liking the chalkboard idea for this one)
  • Creative seating chart
  • Dessert bar (double as favors)
  • Alcohol (caterer is supplying the bartender)
  • Navy shoes
  • Marriage license (this is a month out task)
  • Find someone to do alterations on bridal gown (any leads on someone in Titusville?)
  • Reserve shuttle service between hotel and wedding site
  • …and ????? I’m sure I’m leaving a few things off here

I’d say the biggest accomplishment last month was getting the invitations out. That felt like a HUGE accomplishment and just one step closer to our wedding day becoming real. I still get a huge grin every time a new RSVP rolls in and can’t wait to immediately sure the news with Derek on who said YES!

There’s also a lot of exciting “in the works” projects, such as the bridesmaid gifts, flower girl dress/ sign, decorations, etc. that are finally coming together. I’m at the point where I feel like I have so much accomplished, yet so much more to do. We’re saving a lot of the DIY projects for Thanksgiving weekend, which I’m dubbing “wedding weekend craziness” so we can just sit down and nail stuff down.

I think the biggest thing I’m worried about at the moment is the actual ceremony, which Derek and I have talked about, but still aren’t quite sure what we want to do. Neither of us our religious, so we’ve been researching various ceremony scripts out there to sort of piece together what works for us. The ceremony is the most important part of the day, and we just want to make sure it reflect us as a couple. We’ve asked my uncle to be the officiant, which will be interesting since he’s never officiated a ceremony before. We’re just going to go through this as newbies together and learn as we go. πŸ™‚

I think that’s it for now. I’m sure I’m leaving stuff out, but my mind is going about a mile a minute trying to wrap my head around everything. I have some fun wedding-themed posts in the works, I just need to find the time to write them. πŸ™‚

How were you feeling two months out? Excited? Nervous? Feeling like you still had a million and one things to take care of?!

1 Emily November 5, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Oh lordy … I remember two months out! I was kind of a wreck. The good news: in about 4 weeks you’ll have an overwhelming sense of calm. Then slight panic the week OF. haha. But in the end, it’ll all come together beautifully! You look right on track! <3

(apparently I'm not busy enough at work today. Every time I check my google reader your post has JUST popped up and I'm one of the first to comment. Must. Look. Busy.)
Emily recently posted..#MotivationMonday // When Everything Sucks

2 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 5, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Ahh! I can’t believe it’s 2 months either! And invitations are huge! All the effort in getting addresses and then putting them all together and addressing them requires a lot of time. I can’t wait to hear more about what you’re planning!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thirteen Reasons Why

3 Madeline November 5, 2012 at 12:57 pm

My husband’s step dad was our officiant and we were his first wedding too (yay for getting ordained online!). My husband and I put together the ceremony ourselves with bits and pieces we found online and then his step dad wrote an awesome “welcome” and “closing” section too. I LOVE how it turned out and I’m so happy that we went that route.

4 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 5, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Oh Man – Looks like you’ve got things under control!

I felt like I had so much last minute stuff to do. I was planning on baking our cake but felt so overwhelmed that I had to find a baker just a couple of weeks before the big date! Luckily it all worked out =D

5 Meghann November 5, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Yeah, I was planning on baking cookies, but I think I’m just going to pay for them instead. πŸ™‚

6 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 7, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Good call. We did make our favors though – tiny jars of homemade apple butter (October wedding!). We spent many weekends canning but at least we could do it pretty well in advance!
Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) recently posted..Crockpot Southwest Chicken Soup

7 Nikki November 5, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I just got married in August, and my husband and I didn’t finalize the ceremony until the day of the wedding–like, two hours beforehand! Luckily our officiant was cool with that!
One thing that we did that was really fun and special was to have our nieces and nephews come up to the altar with us at intervals during the ceremony. They had each prepared to say what they hope for us in our marriage, and it went great and felt like a nice way to incorporate more family into the ceremony. (Best part? When my new nephew said his uncle “sure lucked out when he found me.” πŸ™‚ )
Nikki recently posted..Veg-Head

8 kirsten November 5, 2012 at 1:59 pm

You’re doing great! Exactly 2 months before my wedding I started a new job so I was so so stressed. I definitely do not recommend changing jobs that close to a wedding!

9 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride November 5, 2012 at 2:04 pm

2 months out I was feeling pretty good! Now that we are a little under 4 weeks out…I’m getting nervous (and excited)!!! I just want to make sure I’m not forgetting anything and do all that we can before the big day – that way on the day we can just enjoy it and know we did what we could. I will say that I’m slowly cutting out some of the DIY parts (table numbers, place cards, etc) because I realized it’s just too much.

I absolutely loved getting to create our ceremony together (my Step-Dad is officiating). We did a lot of googling to find ideas of what to put in it, when to have readers, etc — and I cry now each time I read it. If you spend some time on it, and make sure it incorporates who you both are, I bet it’ll end up being so special for you both!
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..Wedding: One Month until β€œI DO”

10 Chelsea November 5, 2012 at 3:41 pm

We wrote our own vows, not our own ceremony, but I know people who did write their own ceremony found this hugely helpful:

11 Meghann November 5, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Thank you!

12 Anne P November 5, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I’ll be posting more details about our ceremony and how we came up with the script later this week, FYI. πŸ™‚ We were in the same boat – wanted something creative and not super religious. I did a lot of googling to find sample scripts!

13 duddes02 November 5, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I would suggest to make a list of all the formal photos you want and give it to someone who can check it off. I made the list but I STILL missed out on some key photos (like a photo of both moms + me). One thing I regret is not asking the photographer to get table photos. I wish we would have asked her to go around and get more photos of our guests sitting.

14 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale November 5, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Hmm. I think you’re going to have to rename that “Thinking long term here” category — not much of a “long” term left!! It’s really nice seeing how the balance between the Done and Left to do lists have slowly been shifting over the past few months! If I’m this excited for you, you must be over the moon!! πŸ˜€
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..MIMM β€” A PLAYful Weekend

15 Cecilia November 5, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I’m Jewish and my husband is Christian so the whole ceremony thing was up in the air for us too. In the end we decided to have a family friend who is a judge marry us in a family ceremony. It was small but lovely and 7 years later, I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world!

16 Dana November 5, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Wow, you seem incredibly organized! Great job planning thus far. Soon all you will have to do is enjoy the big day πŸ™‚
Dana recently posted..Adventures with the VZ Navigator

17 Kate November 6, 2012 at 12:04 am

Yikes! I’m getting married in 11 months and we haven’t done anything! Super-procrastinators over here πŸ™‚ but we’re planning on having a small, low-key wedding in my (equally small) hometown, so it’ll work out fine.

Congrats on all of the progress! I *love* the idea of a dessert bar/favor combo. As for the ceremony, you may be able to have a similar structure as a religious wedding but have the readings be from poems/favorite books instead of a religious text. Here’s a super-long article on the subject..

Good luck!
Kate recently posted..Holy Cheeseplosion, Batman!

18 Christine @ BookishlyB November 6, 2012 at 1:05 am

We kept our ceremony super short- guests loved it, haha! And airfare prices are going up- hurry!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday- Child Names

19 Cher @ Weddicted November 6, 2012 at 8:11 am

How nice that your uncle will be doing your wedding. My dad got ordained online, and about 2 months before our wedding we stumbled upon the fact that his ordination could only marry two people in the U.S. We were in a crazy rush to find an available officiant available for a summer wedding! I was upset because we really wanted someone close to us to perform the ceremony, but she ended up being amazing πŸ™‚

Good luck with the upcoming craziness!
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Friday Favourites: Winter wedding

20 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm

My husband bought his groomsmen flasks that had their names engraved on them. They were really neat, and a fun little gift they can use a lot (depending on the level of drinking they engage in, I suppose!)
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..It’s Never Too Early

21 cristina November 6, 2012 at 9:33 pm

My little brother is getting married in two weeks and he asked me to be the officiant. We are not religious either and I have never done a wedding before. I ended up coming up with an awesome (according to the bride n groom) ceremony by googling “secular wedding ceremonies” and piecing together ideas from about 6 different ones that I found on line.