more ยป" />

You’re the girl who runs with her dog

by Meghann on November 2, 2012

Good Morning!

And HAPPY Friday. ๐Ÿ™‚

After a few days of rest and relaxation, I felt my body was ready to return to CrossFit this morning.

20121102_075523.jpg

A couple of stories:

1. The instructor said he found today’s WOD from a “recipe blog” – I’m curious if anyone recognizes it?
  2. This was my first time taking a class with this instructor and one of the first things he asked when I walked in the box was if I lived in the neighborhood I live in. When I told him yes, he said he recognized me as “the girl who runs with her dog.” Apparently Maddie and I have built quite a reputation for ourselves in our neighborhood. He couldn’t believe it when I told him Maddie can hold a 9:00 min/mi pace for 4 miles. “But she’s such a little thing?” Don’t let her size fool ya, that girl can run!

Today’s WOD was all about strength. We worked on overhead squats and I was grouped up with a handful of girls who were newbies like me and had never tried an overhead squat before (found a description online HERE that’s breaks the move down better than I ever could). The overhead squat is an awkward position squat that’s easy to break form in. We started with a practice PVC pipe to get the form right, then built up to 45lbs, where I maxed at 5 reps. I have pretty decent flexibility in my shoulders, so I was able to hold my own holding the bar correctly, but squats – any type of squats – are never fun.

We worked on the skills, then moved to the WOD: 20 reps of thrusters, sdhps (sumo deadlift high pulls), push jerks, overhead squats, and front squats. We had the added bonus of 4 burpees every minute, on the minute (which brought a whole new level of fun to this workout). By the last set I was DYING, the burpees were KILLER, and I was thankful to end on the front squats (even though I banged the bar on my collar bone a couple of times – ouch – at least it was all legs at that point, my arms were done).

20121102_080001.jpg

I was told I probably could have gone higher on the weight, but I’m still such a newbie that I’m never sure where to start. If I felt that bad with just 35lbs, I can’t imagine going for more. Oye. I know it’s only going to get tougher – burn baby, burn.

Breakfast came in a bowl.

20121102_085306.jpg

Plain greek yogurt + peach + Love Crunch Granola + walnuts

20121102_085304.jpg

Refueled-up and ready to take on the day. ๐Ÿ™‚

Have you ever been recognized as “that girl (or boy!) who….”? I’ve been “that runner girl,” “The girl with the dog,” and “the girl I almost hit with my car”(long story).

1 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 2, 2012 at 10:30 am

I can’t say I’ve ever been recognized as anything that I can remember. It’s always fun to know you’re making an impression though!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Teddy Roosevelt Is A Rock Star

2 NYC Fit GIrl November 2, 2012 at 10:30 am

That’s funny that you and Maddie have developed a reputation. Are you enjoying crossfit?

3 Christine @ BookishlyB November 2, 2012 at 10:41 am

My dog has a reputation in our neighborhood too- as the huge lovable lab that tries to run with all the runners when I walk him.

4 Courtney November 2, 2012 at 10:52 am

I become known as “that crazy girl who runs/lifts” or “that little girl that lifts a lot.” Most people, however, approach me, so then I just become Courtney. ๐Ÿ˜› My Y is extremely friendly, though, as is a lot of my community in general.
Courtney recently posted..What a Hiatus!

5 Courtney November 2, 2012 at 11:00 am

I have become known, I mean, and that little girl who lifts a lot. Oops!
Courtney recently posted..What a Hiatus!

6 Jean November 2, 2012 at 11:27 am

For me, it’s always, “Hey, you’re that triplet! I know your brothers!” Guess that’s what happens when you move away for six years…
Jean recently posted..Back to Basics (or, Alternatively, Operation: Leave All Pain Behind)

7 Meghann November 2, 2012 at 12:19 pm

When I go home I’m still referred to as “one of the twins” ๐Ÿ™‚

8 Michelle in Michigan November 2, 2012 at 11:41 am

Someone just sent this you tube link to me and I immediately thought of Maddie!! This young lady has trained her Jack Russell to do some amazing tricks!!!

9 Kimberly @ Healthy Strides November 2, 2012 at 11:43 am

When I went to BODYPUMP instructor training, I recognized someone whom I passed on a run at a park near my house. She thought a minute and then said, “Oh you were the one with the dog and the stroller.” Every day. Every. Day.
Kimberly @ Healthy Strides recently posted..Food Friday: The big trick?

10 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 2, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Haha Maddie is famous!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..November Goals

11 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer November 2, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I’ve been doing CrossFit for awhile now and this WOD sounds painful! LOL. I have been known to have some awesome collar bone bruises from heavy lifting, like power cleans. As a newbie I found that you can do what you think you can do PLUS at least 5-10lbs. It is way more a mind game than anything. Great job getting through it!!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Coffee Date: November?!

12 [email protected] November 2, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Oh yea! When I was training for my marathon, I was known at the YMCA as the girl that ran all day on the treadmill! ๐Ÿ˜‰
[email protected] recently posted..Friday Fun

13 Annette @FitnessPerks November 2, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Hey, no hating on the squats, I love ’em! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I am known as the instructor who can lift more than most boys in BodyPump, and the one that will kick your butt ๐Ÿ˜‰ And yes, proud of that reputation!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Friday Truths

14 Melissa @TryingtoHeal November 2, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Haha, I’m the girl who likes birds. Haha. Or likes the environment? Nature? haha…or is a crazy bird girl.
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Birding Thursday: Grass Green Tanager

15 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut November 2, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Haha that’s so funny. I lost my job a few years ago and started a blog called Fired n Fabulous. On a trip home to KY, I heard a girl whisper to her friend, “That’s the girl who got fired…” in line at Starbucks. Hey, it happens…I wasn’t ashamed!
Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut recently posted..Hurricane Sandy: Eating My Way Through The Storm

16 megs November 2, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I LOVE Airforce, it is one of my favorite Crossfit wods!! But then again I do not mind burpees ๐Ÿ™‚

17 April November 3, 2012 at 8:16 am

Meghann- finally decided to start my own blog! It’s been more fun than I was anticipating so far. Hope you’re doing well, just want you to know I still read yours years later and you’re my inspiration!!

18 Courtney November 7, 2012 at 9:29 am

Is crossfit worth the hefty price? (It’s $100/month where I live)