more ยป" />

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

by Meghann on October 31, 2012

I tried something a little different for lunch today.

Yes, Pinterest has gotten to me again and the allure of a cauliflower pizza crust was rather intriguing. I mean, why not give it a shot?

I followed the recipe I had pinned from HERE. It was really simple – grate the cauliflower, cook it, mix it with egg and cheese, then bake it.

PicsArt_1351706272555.jpg

The “crust” wasn’t your typical pizza crust. There was no slicing of individual slices or picking pieces up with your hands. It was more spongy, almost like an extra thin frittata, and you had to eat it with a fork. I wouldn’t say it was bad, it was pretty good actually just on it’s own.

I did a Mexican themed “pizza” and added salsa as the base, then leftover chicken, mushrooms, olives, and avocado. I placed it under the broiler for a few minutes, then ate the “pizza” hot with a fork.

Like I said, it was pretty good. I’m honestly not sure I would make it again (maybe if I had 1/2 of a cauliflower randomly sitting in my fridge like I had today), but I’m still glad I tried it.

One of my neighbors asked me about my wristband on my walk with Maddie this morning.

Yes, it’s been three days since my half ironman and I still can’t bring myself to take the wristband off. I like having it there, sort of like a reminder of what I can accomplish. I know it won’t stay there forever, but I’m not quite ready to take it off anytime soon.

I’m the same way with d-tags for races. I’ll usually leave them on my shoes as a little piece of motivation until I absolutely need to take them off . Plus, I know that once I take the d-tags/ wristband off that the race is really over. Whomp. Whomp.

Do you keep race memorabilia? How long do you usually wait before removing wristbands or d-tags?

I keep race bibs too. I have three race books filled with race bibs from every race I’ve done since 2009. I treasure them. :)

1 Victoria (District Chocoholic) October 31, 2012 at 2:17 pm

My Louisville wristband stayed on for almost a week…

2 NYC Fit GIrl October 31, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I keep d-tags on too on my running shoes too! I use to keep race bibs but started throwing them away recently because I just don’t have space for them.

3 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions October 31, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I’ve actually only run two races with a traditional d-tag, and the last one was, without question, the worst race I’ve ever run. That tag came off the SECOND I got home. I never wanted to be reminded of it again! I definitely keep all my race bibs, though–I even have the ones from my middle school cross country days! They’re all tacked up on my corkboard right now, but I really, really like the race book idea. Something to keep in mind!

4 Meghann October 31, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I guess it’s true that they have have the opposite “get the hell off of me” effect too after races.

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 31, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I left my Chicago Marathon d-tag on up until the race I did this past Sunday. I thought it might be timed and I didn’t know if it would interfere with that race’s timing chip? Anyway, I finally cut it off, but I saved it for scrapbooking!

6 Jennifer L October 31, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I’ve seen that recipe around pinterest too, and it always intrigues me… but I’m glad you tried it first!

if I completed an ironman I think I’d wear the wrist band FOREVER.

7 Allison October 31, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I love the cauliflower crust. I make it all the time!

8 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 31, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Hey, you earned it! Keep that wristband on as long as possible!

9 Katie @ running4cupcakes October 31, 2012 at 3:43 pm

That’s how I feel about lots of pinterest things- glad I tried them but won’t make it again! I always wish I could wear my race medal for the whole week afterwards!!!!

10 Ashley October 31, 2012 at 3:49 pm

awesome race book. I looked back at that old post…where did you get the one’s that say “Derek’s Bling”? Are they made special?

11 Meghann October 31, 2012 at 3:51 pm

It’s from a company called Allied Metal, you can have them custom made. :)

12 Annette @FitnessPerks October 31, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I kept mine from my 70.3 for a bit too :)

13 Chelsea @ CardioandCocktails October 31, 2012 at 4:31 pm

After I did my first marathon, my medal was on my neck that entire day. My D tags usually stay on for a couple weeks as well because I keep “forgetting” to take them off ;)

14 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna October 31, 2012 at 4:45 pm

i’ve wanted to try the cauliflower pizza crust for quite some time now! glad to hear it’s worth giving it a go. & i am the same way with wristbands like that – i love leaving them on for a few days after the event!

15 Hillary October 31, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I do the same thing with race tags—my dad actually mocks me for how long I keep them on!

16 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 31, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I’m the opposite. I don’t think I have any race memorabilia haha I never know what to do with it so I toss it. I have bought a few pics though.

17 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife October 31, 2012 at 6:11 pm

mmm i love cauliflower pizza! this one looks delicious! (:

18 Lauren October 31, 2012 at 8:54 pm

The cauliflower crust pizza is something that has been on my list to try for awhile now. I even bought cauliflower last week (which I NEVER buy) so it would be a great time to give it a try. Glad to hear it was easy to make.

19 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 31, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I recently made a cauliflower version of baked potato soup. Cauliflower really is underrated.

20 Kristin @ FoodFash October 31, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Mad props for trying something so different! I can safely say that I would have never attempted such a thing :)

21 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 1, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I’ve been eyeing the cauliflower pizza crust for quite some time. I can’t believe I still haven’t tried it yet!

22 Sonia the Mexigarian November 2, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I ran my first 1/2 Oct 7th. I have yet to take the D tag off. Maybe the night before my second 1/2 in 2 weeks. EEP!

23 Shannon @ A Pinch of Ginger November 4, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I love cauliflower pizza but there were a lot of ‘bad batches’ in order to find the right combo. I found sharper cheese and putting it in a cookie sheet worked best to try and get it as crunchy as possible.

I just made cauliflower and cheddar soup I found on Pinterest and its da’ bomb! It would be even better with some white wine added to it! I’ll have to share it in a post after dinner! :)

PS CONGRATULATIONS on your IronMan! You are such an inspiration for me!

PPS I thought of you since Savannah was this past weekend (sigh) and you’d be proud of me! I have my first full in Philly in 2 weeks! Totally freaking out right now! :)