Recovery

by Meghann on October 30, 2012

Maddie’s home!

I picked her up from doggie overnight camp yesterday afternoon. The dogs were playing outside when I pulled up and I could see her adorable little tail wagging through the fence. I called her name and you could tell she recognized my voice because she went nutzo trying to figure out where I was. The poor girl was jumping all over the fence trying to find her mommy.

She got a good report – it’s always a good feeling when the staff won’t stop raving about your little one – and couldn’t wait to hop in the car and head home.

This morning Maddie and I soaked up some of the amazing fall weather with a 2 mile walk outside. After two days at doggie camp and a good long walk, I’m not sure I’ll be able to pull her away from the couch for the rest of the day.

She is WIPED. I love her when she’s like this – so cute and extra cuddly. :)

The walk was exactly what my legs needed, I’m thinking they’ll also need an easy yoga class this evening. Day two of post-half ironman recovery is going pretty good. I’m trying to take it easy and just enjoy a couple of days of rest before slowly working my way back into other activities. There’s no need to rush. :)

Since it was so chilly this morning, I decided a bowl of oats would be the perfect meal to warm me up.

In the mix:

• 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • chia seeds
  • cinnamon
  • vanilla whey protein powder

On top:

• 1/2 apple
  • cinnamon
  • walnuts
  • peanut butter

Totally hit the spot.

Time to get to work!

What’s your typical recovery plan following a big race? X amount of days of rest? Massages? Triple chocolate sundae from your favorite ice cream shop? ;)

I plan to treat myself to a pedicure tonight or tomorrow. My little toes deserve a little pampering.

1 SkinnyRunner October 30, 2012 at 10:30 am

im a little late, but just wanted to say congrats on your second half ironman! all triathletes are incredible to me that they can run after swimming and biking all that ways.

2 Laura October 30, 2012 at 10:37 am

Nothing quite like a sleepy, cuddly puppy!

3 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin October 30, 2012 at 10:38 am

The biggest race I’ve ever done is a half marathon and the recovery wasn’t too big of a deal for me. My parents gave me a certificate for a deep tissue massage though which was amazing :) Maddie looked like she did the half ironman with you she’s so pooped!

4 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer October 30, 2012 at 10:45 am

Pedicures are my favorite post race treat! The funniest was when we went after the warrior dash (like 2 days later) and I still had mud under my toe nails… I was like oops, sorry!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Six Flags St Louis – #KeysToSTL

5 Annette @FitnessPerks October 30, 2012 at 10:56 am

Yay for pedicures!

I def usually do a massage, foam roll tons, and take long hot showers :)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Eat and Train For More Muscle

6 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 30, 2012 at 10:57 am

After big hikes, I always have a massage scheduled. I usually take one or two days off, and then spend a week doing yoga and light walking.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Yoga Soulmates

7 Samantha Angela October 30, 2012 at 11:30 am

Mine is Massages for sure. I have a 15K race this weekend and already have my psot race massage booked for next week.
Samantha Angela recently posted..Hallowe’en 2012

8 Meghan @ After the Ivy League October 30, 2012 at 11:31 am

I love it when my dog is completely pooped too from a day at daycare. He’s extra cuddly! And I’ve been craving walnuts since seeing them in your breakfast bowls, so I finally remembered to buy them! One of my favorite nuts.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Catching Up and Slowing Down

9 deva at deva by definition October 30, 2012 at 11:33 am

My biggest race was the Flying Pig Half this year. The day of the race my feet swelled up so big it hurt to walk around. The day after I did a lot of walking around the house and backyard, as well as a nice hot shower.
deva at deva by definition recently posted..Just some Asics Running Crops (A Review)

10 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 30, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I’ve only ever done one big race – the chicago marathon this year, and I went out to dinner with my family, got myself some froyo and took a few days off. But I was back into running quickly because I missed it so much, but now I’m having IT band problems… probably should have rested more…
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Happy Birthday To Me…

11 Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 30, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Frozen yogurt is a necessity (in my book) when it come to race recovery!!
Brittany @Berries and Barbells recently posted..Sick-Day Workout

12 Amanda October 30, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Aww, I love when my dogs are worn out and just want to snuggle! :) I would love to do a triathalon one day but swimming outside of a pool scares me. I’m a wimp!
Amanda recently posted..Pumkin Smoothie and a Special Birthday

13 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions October 30, 2012 at 1:18 pm

My only big distance race thus far was a half marathon. The race was on a Sunday, and I took all of Monday and Tuesday off after that. I ran again on Wednesday, but then rested again Thursday and Friday because I had a 5K on Saturday, and I didn’t want to push it too much. I also bought myself a gigantic slice of triple or something like that chocolate cake from Whole Foods :) Annnnd I bought myself a custom 13.1 ring off Etsy. I always try to do something nice to reward myself after a race — that’s half the fun of running, as far as I’m concerned ;)
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Tuesday (wait, what?) Things

14 Laura October 30, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Frankenstorm has passes through Baltimore.. check out pictures of damage on my site!
Laura recently posted..Franken-Storm

15 Kayla October 30, 2012 at 10:49 pm

I don’t have a set post race recovery routine. I’ve gotten a massage once and loved it but this time I’m trying to do a reverse taper for 2 weeks to ease back into some high mileage.
Kayla recently posted..Marine Corps Marathon

16 Sara @my less serious life October 31, 2012 at 6:36 am

haha i love my dog extra too when she is exhausted! why are they so cute that way?
Sara @my less serious life recently posted..what i ate wednesday: issue 56