All Smiles

by Meghann on October 30, 2012

My new favorite finish line shot…

Screen shot 2012-10-30 at 12.07.15 PM.png

I’m not sure I’ve ever looked so happy to be done with a race before. You better believe I purchased that sucker! I am a tad disappointed the photographer missed my epic heel click, but I think he captured the spirit of the moment beautifully. :)

You can watch the video of the heel-click finish HERE, as well as stalk the rest of my race photos. (spoiler: I look like a crazy triathlete with ratty hair, ridiculous sunglasses, and a spandex tri-suit, but I also look like a proud twenty-something strong and confident woman who couldn’t be happier to be racing – yay for happy smiles!)

Screen shot 2012-10-30 at 2.01.33 PM.png

(p.s. I need a new bike like WHOA)

Check out this EPIC lunch today.

A crazy delicious HOT kale salad that was the perfect complement meal for the cool fall day.

I started by frying two piece of bacon. Once those were done, I removed the bacon and discarded the majority of the bacon grease, leaving just enough to lightly coat the pan. Then I added sliced onion to the still-hot pan, 1/2 a chopped apple, and kale. I gave each item a chance to cook for a couple of minutes before adding the next. Once the kale was wilted, I seasoned everything with salt and pepper and added it to a bowl. I finished the salad with avocado, cheese, and the bacon.

So good. So so so good. :)

I updated the wedding page! Check out the story behind out not-so-traditional wedding invitations.

1 Annette @FitnessPerks October 30, 2012 at 2:23 pm

You DO look so happy! Yay for being done :) Congrats again!

2 kalli October 30, 2012 at 2:43 pm

thanks for sharing that video! so cute!

3 lisa fine October 30, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Race photographers LOVE when I run past them with a big smile on my face. Since I usually do small races though, I think I have to wait until the photos go online for promotional material before I bet see them.

Cute shots!

4 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 30, 2012 at 3:02 pm

that picture is SO amazing and I feel like it would make for an awesome “fill in the quote” bubble kind of game. ;)

And if your bike needs a good home, I’m sure someone can find it one… ;)

5 Sara October 30, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Cute finish! Hate to break it to you though, that wasn’t a heel click.

This is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsjMZsCcv6o

6 MealsAndMiles October 30, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Well that was my attempt at one after 70.3 miles (it looked like that in my head :) )

7 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 30, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Haha I looked like a mess at the end of the Chicago Marathon, definitely didn’t purchase any of those…

8 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 30, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I love that video! You look so happy!

9 Pam October 30, 2012 at 3:33 pm

That salad looked amazing! Im always looking for new healthy recipes and ideas. I’ve always wanted to run but every time I try my chest starts to hurt really bad. If you have any tips on how to fix my problem I really would appreciate it.

10 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 30, 2012 at 4:19 pm

You’re adorable, gorgeous, a total champ and a great inspiration!!
Can’t wait to see what you have in store for you, Meghann!!

11 Kathy October 30, 2012 at 4:44 pm

That is the BEST photo finish ever!!!

12 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 30, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I know this is such a “mom” thing to say, but be careful with those heel clicks. I used to do them allll the time in high school until one day my foot landed funny and I ended up spraining my ankle really badly. I know it was just a fluke and could happen doing a lot of things, but the memory seriously makes me shudder…several bones popped at once. It was horrible. Ow ow ow. Ok, this post is NOT about my ankle. It’s about YOU…congrats again on the race!!!

13 Courtney October 30, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Oh my goodness, that kale salad! You bet your buns I will be making it soon!

14 Erin October 30, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I’m amazed that you had enough energy after all that to even attempt a heel click! Just goes to show how strong of an athlete you are.

I’m curious why you say you need a new bike. Care to share?

15 Meghann October 31, 2012 at 10:55 am

I need a tri-bike with aerobars. The bike I have is cheap and heavy road bike, that doesn’t feel right when I ride it. It’s basically just time for an upgrade.

16 Mary October 30, 2012 at 6:27 pm

You look so great at the end of your race! Great job on the heel click-I wouldn’t have gotten off the ground after my 70.3. Your post makes me want to do another. I did Vineman this year and rented a bike…big fail! My back hurt so bad because the bike was a poor fit. And I wore bike shorts over my trishorts…the seat wasn’t like mine either if you know what I mean:). Be thankful at least you had your own bike. My next 70.3 will have to be somewhere I can drive with my own bike! You said you really liked Augusta…I’ll have to think about that.

17 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 30, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I love that photo! I’m happy if I have open eyes in a race photo. I don’t think there is any better food combination than bacon and avocado.

18 Ashley October 30, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Congrats on finishing! Even if it isn’t a real heel click, I think it’s awesome you were able to do it!

19 Alex October 30, 2012 at 9:24 pm

That’s such an awesome picture! Seriously, I’m so inspired to do a triathlon. Too bad I live in Michigan have to wait until the spring!

20 Becky @ runfundone October 30, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Great photo finish! Way to go!

21 Rachel Wilkerson October 31, 2012 at 8:43 am

“I also look like a proud twenty-something strong and confident woman who couldn’t be happier to be racing.” You DO! Your confidence and happiness has really been shining through on your blog lately. :)