more ยป" />

Afternoon Tea at Oxford Exchange

by Meghann on October 30, 2012

I had a very productive meeting this afternoon at the Oxford Exchange in downtown Tampa.

20121009_101210.jpg

You can read more about the Oxford Exchange in THIS POST (to recap: it is quite possibly the coolest coffee/tea shop in Tampa). I showed up at 4:00 expecting to just drink coffee and talk business, but was pleasantly surprised when we were ushered to the dining room for afternoon tea. Afternoon tea? Of course! I had completely forgot that Oxford Exchange were making a name for themselves in the afternoon tea department and I had added it to my Tampa to-do list. Perfect.

At this point I was sad I didn’t bring my nice camera to do the afternoon tea justice, so you will have to forgive my smartphone-quality photos and believe me when I say the afternoon tea service was lovely and everything was as delicious as it looked. :)

I started with the early grey lavender tea, which our server raved about.

20121030_163517.jpg

It was slightly sweet and just the right balance of lavender and earl grey. I was a fan.

Then we split the afternoon tea sampler.

20121030_164026.jpg

The sampler came with a variety of sandwiches

20121030_164033.jpg

The chicken curry was FABULOUS! I’m now inspired to make my own chicken curry sandwich at home!

Scones

20121030_164037.jpg

My dining partner raved about the blueberry, but I was partial to the cinnamon. They were dry and crumbly and everything a good scone should be.

And desserts

20121030_164041.jpg

Way too many sweets for two people. I did try the eclair which surprised me with a caramel filling – one of my favorite things from the sampling!

The afternoon tea was a lot of fun and the perfect spot for an afternoon meeting. I’ll have to return with girlfriends, I bet this would be a great spot to host a book club or TBLB gathering. ;)

For the second day in a row I filled up on afternoon snacks and wasn’t in the mood to cook or eat come dinner time. Derek made an easy meal of grilled chicken and okra and I made myself a small plate of what he had prepared.

20121030_200846.jpg

Thanks, babe! ‘Twas delicious. :)

Can you believe tomorrow is Halloween? I almost forgot until I was trying to make plans with a friend for tomorrow night and she reminded me – oops! I’m not sure why, but it just doesn’t feel like it this year (blame it on a busy October/November!). On another note, I saw Christmas decorations were already going up near South Tampa! The holidays are coming!!

Good night! :)

1 emily October 30, 2012 at 11:14 pm

What are the brown things with the little balls on top, closest to the camera? Mousse? They look delicious. And lavender Earl Grey sounds amazing!

2 Meghann October 31, 2012 at 10:59 am

It was some sort of mousse cake, I never had a chance to try it, but it sure looked tasty. :)

3 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 30, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I went out for a tea party this evening!! I think they’re SO much fun! Ours featured strawberry and peppermint teas and cupcakes (red velvet and pumpkin!). They make me feel classy yet playful all at the same time! :)
Those desserts look fabulous, by the way!!

4 Annette @FitnessPerks October 30, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Afternoon tea is so fun!! Looks delicious.

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 30, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I agree, I can’t believe it’s almost November, it just doesn’t feel like it yet! And I love the idea of afternoon tea, so simple but it feels special!

6 Jean October 31, 2012 at 12:47 am

I’ve been seeing Christmas stuff all over the place here too! Bugs me, actually. Just wait a couple days!

I’ve never tried okra-it’s a strange-looking vegetable!

7 Carrie @ The Cook's Palette October 31, 2012 at 1:36 am

Your tea time looks like so much fun! It’s totally on my bucket list to do a proper tea like that. But you’re right, that is a lot of dessert!

8 Billie October 31, 2012 at 8:38 am

I am go glad you have embraced Afternoon tea. My favourite tea is Earl Grey it is the best. x

9 Cher @ Weddicted October 31, 2012 at 8:52 am

What a fun concept. There is something like that close to me that I think I must try out now!

10 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 31, 2012 at 9:26 am

I think afternoon tea would be so fun, and I’m dying to go to one somewhere. Those scones look delicious!

11 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 31, 2012 at 9:35 am

Afternoon tea is possibly one of my favorite things about my time in England. Next time I am visiting my sis in Tampa I will stop here!

12 Amanda October 31, 2012 at 9:38 am

Those desserts look fantastic! Wow. I’m kind of amazed at how fast this year has flown by, too. eek!

13 deva at deva by definition October 31, 2012 at 9:59 am

The tea sounds amazing – I dont’ know if we have any where near where I live that does it, but I love the idea!

14 Courtney October 31, 2012 at 10:28 am

Yum! Tea sounds like a lot of fun and looks quite delicious. :)

15 Emily N October 31, 2012 at 10:31 am

That sandwich looks awesome. count me inspired for some chicken curry!

16 Melissa @TryingtoHeal October 31, 2012 at 10:41 am

Oh, I’ve always wanted to go and have afternoon tea somewhere! I should have done it at the bakery/tea shop when I lived in the mountains. Now it’s too far away!

17 Christine @ BookishlyB October 31, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I need to branch out with my tea flavors- I always get a cheap box “raspberry zinger.” Tea is SO good for you- I need to get on it.

18 Alaina October 31, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I’ve never been to an afternoon tea but have always been meaning too. The Boston Public Library has a great afternoon tea. And it’s right next to where I work!

19 Beka November 1, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Afternoon tea looks great!! Sounds like a good idea ;) (TBLB)