Afternoon Tea at Oxford Exchange

by Meghann on October 30, 2012

I had a very productive meeting this afternoon at the Oxford Exchange in downtown Tampa.

20121009_101210.jpg

You can read more about the Oxford Exchange in THIS POST (to recap: it is quite possibly the coolest coffee/tea shop in Tampa). I showed up at 4:00 expecting to just drink coffee and talk business, but was pleasantly surprised when we were ushered to the dining room for afternoon tea. Afternoon tea? Of course! I had completely forgot that Oxford Exchange were making a name for themselves in the afternoon tea department and I had added it to my Tampa to-do list. Perfect.

At this point I was sad I didn’t bring my nice camera to do the afternoon tea justice, so you will have to forgive my smartphone-quality photos and believe me when I say the afternoon tea service was lovely and everything was as delicious as it looked. :)

I started with the early grey lavender tea, which our server raved about.

20121030_163517.jpg

It was slightly sweet and just the right balance of lavender and earl grey. I was a fan.

Then we split the afternoon tea sampler.

20121030_164026.jpg

The sampler came with a variety of sandwiches

20121030_164033.jpg

The chicken curry was FABULOUS! I’m now inspired to make my own chicken curry sandwich at home!

Scones

20121030_164037.jpg

My dining partner raved about the blueberry, but I was partial to the cinnamon. They were dry and crumbly and everything a good scone should be.

And desserts

20121030_164041.jpg

Way too many sweets for two people. I did try the eclair which surprised me with a caramel filling – one of my favorite things from the sampling!

The afternoon tea was a lot of fun and the perfect spot for an afternoon meeting. I’ll have to return with girlfriends, I bet this would be a great spot to host a book club or TBLB gathering. ;)

For the second day in a row I filled up on afternoon snacks and wasn’t in the mood to cook or eat come dinner time. Derek made an easy meal of grilled chicken and okra and I made myself a small plate of what he had prepared.

20121030_200846.jpg

Thanks, babe! ‘Twas delicious. :)

Can you believe tomorrow is Halloween? I almost forgot until I was trying to make plans with a friend for tomorrow night and she reminded me – oops! I’m not sure why, but it just doesn’t feel like it this year (blame it on a busy October/November!). On another note, I saw Christmas decorations were already going up near South Tampa! The holidays are coming!!

Good night! :)

1 emily October 30, 2012 at 11:14 pm

What are the brown things with the little balls on top, closest to the camera? Mousse? They look delicious. And lavender Earl Grey sounds amazing!
emily recently posted..Roasted Spiced Pumpkin Seed Recipe and Recap

2 Meghann October 31, 2012 at 10:59 am

It was some sort of mousse cake, I never had a chance to try it, but it sure looked tasty. :)

3 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 30, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I went out for a tea party this evening!! I think they’re SO much fun! Ours featured strawberry and peppermint teas and cupcakes (red velvet and pumpkin!). They make me feel classy yet playful all at the same time! :)
Those desserts look fabulous, by the way!!
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Who Knew … A Now and Then Survey

4 Annette @FitnessPerks October 30, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Afternoon tea is so fun!! Looks delicious.
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Eat and Train For More Muscle

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 30, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I agree, I can’t believe it’s almost November, it just doesn’t feel like it yet! And I love the idea of afternoon tea, so simple but it feels special!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Happy Birthday To Me…

6 Jean October 31, 2012 at 12:47 am

I’ve been seeing Christmas stuff all over the place here too! Bugs me, actually. Just wait a couple days!

I’ve never tried okra-it’s a strange-looking vegetable!
Jean recently posted..Random Shit Tuesday

7 Carrie @ The Cook's Palette October 31, 2012 at 1:36 am

Your tea time looks like so much fun! It’s totally on my bucket list to do a proper tea like that. But you’re right, that is a lot of dessert!
Carrie @ The Cook’s Palette recently posted..honey toasted pumpkin seeds with orange + thyme

8 Billie October 31, 2012 at 8:38 am

I am go glad you have embraced Afternoon tea. My favourite tea is Earl Grey it is the best. x
Billie recently posted..Update…

9 Cher @ Weddicted October 31, 2012 at 8:52 am

What a fun concept. There is something like that close to me that I think I must try out now!

10 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 31, 2012 at 9:26 am

I think afternoon tea would be so fun, and I’m dying to go to one somewhere. Those scones look delicious!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..It’s Kind Of My Thing

11 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 31, 2012 at 9:35 am

Afternoon tea is possibly one of my favorite things about my time in England. Next time I am visiting my sis in Tampa I will stop here!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Pumpkin picking and Halloween movie watching

12 Amanda October 31, 2012 at 9:38 am

Those desserts look fantastic! Wow. I’m kind of amazed at how fast this year has flown by, too. eek!
Amanda recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

13 deva at deva by definition October 31, 2012 at 9:59 am

The tea sounds amazing – I dont’ know if we have any where near where I live that does it, but I love the idea!
deva at deva by definition recently posted..A Recipe for Pan-Fried Breaded Pork Chops

14 Courtney October 31, 2012 at 10:28 am

Yum! Tea sounds like a lot of fun and looks quite delicious. :)
Courtney recently posted..What a Hiatus!

15 Emily N October 31, 2012 at 10:31 am

That sandwich looks awesome. count me inspired for some chicken curry!
Emily N recently posted..Running with No Plan

16 Melissa @TryingtoHeal October 31, 2012 at 10:41 am

Oh, I’ve always wanted to go and have afternoon tea somewhere! I should have done it at the bakery/tea shop when I lived in the mountains. Now it’s too far away!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Recipe Wednesday: Lundberg Rice Pilaf

17 Christine @ BookishlyB October 31, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I need to branch out with my tea flavors- I always get a cheap box “raspberry zinger.” Tea is SO good for you- I need to get on it.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Top Whatever Tuesday- Heroines

18 Alaina October 31, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I’ve never been to an afternoon tea but have always been meaning too. The Boston Public Library has a great afternoon tea. And it’s right next to where I work!
Alaina recently posted..How October Really Turned Out

19 Beka November 1, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Afternoon tea looks great!! Sounds like a good idea ;) (TBLB)
Beka recently posted..A #TBLB meetup at @PDQfreshfood