Miami 70.3: The Recovery

by Meghann on October 29, 2012

THANK YOU for all of the congratulation and words of encouragement. Miami 70.3 was definitely an experience I’ll never forget and I’m still flying high on the post-race high.

Here’s a little info on how the recovery’s going (both physically and mentally ;) )

1. Chafing: The back of my neck chafed during the swim at the top of my tri suit. I could feel it during the last third of the race and was kicking myself for not using body glide. I think the fact that I wasn’t wearing a wetsuit had me believing I didn’t need to lube up, oh how wrong I was. Lesson learned. I also chafed under my arm, which is pretty typical for me.

half ironman hickey.jpg

(Couldn’t get a photo of the back of my neck, but you can see the chafe mark peaking on the side. I’m calling that my half-ironman hickey ;) )

2. Soreness: Right now I think my butt hates me more than anything else. I need a new bike seat, and I need it now. Besides that my legs aren’t terrible. My quads and hamstrings are tight, but I’m thankfully not sporting that lovely post-marathon hobble I was predicting yesterday. My shoulders could definitely use a good rub, they definitely weren’t a fan of being in that position on the bike for so long.

Maybe the post-race stretch with Ashley was the key here? ;)

3. Thirst: I woke up this morning and my mouth felt like sandpaper, it was so dry. My lips are also very dry and chapped. I’m not sure if it was all the salt water I drank during the swim yesterday or the fact I didn’t drink enough water post- finish, but I can’t seem to get enough to drink today. I’ve been drinking water by the gallon and still can’t quench my thirst.

IMG_3001.jpg

4. Sun: I’m sporting some sexy triathlete tan lines today. I applied (and reapplied) sunscreen yesterday, but it still wasn’t enough. Luckily it’s all “tan” and not burnt. I can’t imagine how red I would be right now without the sunscreen I did apply. (p.s. a big thanks to Amber for reminding me to put it on before the race!)

530809_4918016832206_450353537_n.jpg

(Ben did not wear sunscreen)

5. Post-race high: I knew this would happen, I finish a race and all of a sudden the “what if’s” come out and I start believing I can do anything (this post-race feeling is why I sign up for these races in the first place). Calm down, Meghann. Let’s let this race sink in and get through that wedding first. mmmkay?

6. Family: Derek and I had a good conversation on the way home last night about family and how thankful we are for each of ours. He reminded me to never under-appreciate how lucky I am to have the family I do and I reminded him that it’s not just my family anymore, it’s our family. :) I know how lucky I am and I never take that luckiness for granted for a second. I have amazing siblings who are not only willing to sign up for crazy races with me, but are willing to train and cheer each other on along the way.

IMG_2857.jpg

After the race yesterday, Kelly and I were waiting in line for food at the Athlete’s Lounge discussing the race (going over our favorite parts and complimenting each other for the great things we saw each other accomplish on the course), when the guy ahead of us turned around and made a joke about how the two of us were really good at pumping each other up and how he wish he had a buddy in line with him doing the same thing. We laughed and told him we were sisters and that’s what we’re there for. ;)

It’s not just my siblings I’m thankful for either, it’s their other halves who I love and appreciate as if we were related by blood. During the race I gave big high-fives to my brother-in-law and sister-in-law on the course, who were there cheering since 7:00am with huge smiles on their faces. I also can’t forget my Dad who was there hooting and hollering louder and prouder than anyone in the stands and Derek, who I love more than anything. He’s my rock and he’s the one who never doubts my dreams or goals, no matter how big they are.

7. Sleep: I slept in until 9:00 this morning – it. was. glorious.

8. Hunger: Surprisingly my appetite hasn’t been too out of control. I had pancakes last night, then made the trip to Dunkin Donuts this morning to pick up something I promised myself before the race even started – a pumpkin donut.

A-MA-ZING. Totally hit the spot. Yum and Yum.

I rounded out my breakfast with some scrambled eggs (with spinach and cheese) and a pear.

9. Thankfulness: I’m thankful for my family,my friends, my body, my strong will, and all of you guys. There’s nothing like a long day of racing (where you have all the time in the world to just think) to remind you how lucky you have it. I can say thank you times a million and I’m not sure it would ever be enough. :)

1 Steph October 29, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Totally made me weepy. Thanks for sharing this and reminding us (who are also just as lucky) just how awesome it is to have people in your life that are there for you, love you, and support the adventures you take on. Congrats again!!
Steph recently posted..Fall Follies (and a Healthy Holiday Challenge)

2 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes October 29, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Woah, I never would’ve thought to apply BodyGlide either! That’s in my “wetsuit-legal” mental compartment, lol. I’ll definitely keep that in mind.
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Hurricane Sandy Precautions

3 Michelle October 29, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Congrats on your race.
Sunscreen and body glide are absolute musts for me.
Michelle recently posted..Nuremberg, Germany

4 Lynda October 29, 2012 at 2:24 pm

That’s awesome that you feel generally good after that race :) Congrats on doing so well!
Lynda recently posted..Runner’s World Half Marathon Festival Day 1 Recap

5 Kaitlyn October 29, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I love the tribute to your family! You do have such an AMAZING family :) I definitely have an amazing family as well, but deep down I’ve always wished someone in my family shared my love of running and racing events….typically I’m the only one racing and often it’s difficult for my family to come and see me, which is completely fine, but occasionally I definitely wish I had a “buddy” to share events with. I’ve often thought of traveling to go to a specific race, but hold back because I’m unsure about flying somewhere on my own for a race. Congrats on such a great day yesterday!

6 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer October 29, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Great job this weekend!! You did awesome. I love that you have such an awesome support system!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Zombie Survival Dash STL Race Recap

7 Lindsay October 29, 2012 at 3:05 pm

You keep it up, girl! Thanks for writing this post – I was kind of dreading my race this weekend and you reminded me of that post race “glow”. We are blessed. You rock! Keep writing!

8 Lauren October 29, 2012 at 3:07 pm

congratulations on an amazing race! Your race recap made me cry because I know what it feels like to doubt yourself. I am currently trying to recover from a bad knee injury and I do not know what the future holds for my running career but you are such an inspiration to me. Thanks for reminding me to be thankful for all the amazing things I have in my life. Continue to enjoy the post-race high, you deserve it!

9 Elisabeth October 29, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Congratulations! This post totally made me tear up a little with all the thank yous to your support system – you definitely have an awesome family :)

10 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 29, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I swear chafing is worse than any muscle aches. Also, that donut would def have helped me power through the race. They are amazing! Doesn’t it make a world of difference having fam/friends there to support you? There is nothing better than being greeted at the finish line with love :)
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Vince Vaughn loves baba ganoush

11 Annette @FitnessPerks October 29, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Such a lovely post! YAY for 70.3 #2 in the books! And congrats again :)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Pinterested Themed Food {Halloween}

12 Dione October 29, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Congrats again on your awesome race! My favorite part of this post was when you talked about your family. I also have 1 sister and 2 brothers and can concur that family is the best!

13 Emily N October 29, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Great recap of your feelings today. it is nice to see it all out in print even though a lot of it (thankful for families, etc) can be assumed. :)
Emily N recently posted..A Chat with the Coach

14 lisa fine October 29, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Great thoughts, and that donut sounds like a great way to enjoy breakfast the day after a big race.

With those “what ifs”…are you thinking a full-on Ironman in your future? ;)
lisa fine recently posted..we joined a winter csa

15 Camile October 29, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Such a sweet post! I love that your family is so close because it is a great example of how family really can be there for you through anything. I love having siblings and a big family. It makes everything better, well, most of the time ;)

16 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 29, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Meghann — this post made my heart explode with happiness. You’re just so grateful, and it’s truly amazing to see! I’ve been an athlete for many years, and it’s so great to see a different side of athleticism in the blogging world. Sure, there’s some negativity, but there is always, ALWAYS a silver lining, and I absolutely love that. You embody it completely.
I can definitely relate to the tan/burn lines — when I used to row, we had unisuit tan lines (racerback tops and short lines). We looked HILARIOUS in bathing suits because by the end of the summer, we were so tan otherwise that it looked like we were wearing a skin-coloured uni under our suits!! :)
Continue riding the post-race high — turn those “what if”s into “I can!”s — you’ve proved yourself more than capable of anything you set your mind to this weekend. Go for it!! :D
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..MIMM — Almost TOO Marvelous!

17 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 29, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Battle wounds = Bragging rights. AWESOME JOB!!!
Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut recently posted..Working Out vs. Eating Right: Which is Harder?

18 Brandy October 29, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Congratulations on your race. I loved this post- it reminds me why I love doing these things too. I took it easy this season and now I feel like I want to be training for a big race!
Thanks for sharing. :)

19 Sara@RunningInPinkProject October 29, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Im so glad the race went well for you!!! :)
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Storm Watch

20 Margaret October 29, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I love the “I can do anything” runners high!

21 Becky @ runfundone October 29, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Way to Go, Meghann! Congrats!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Obsessed with the Good Deals

22 Courtney October 29, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Oh, the SCARS I have from the times I’ve forgotten to use Body Glide! (we’re talking from Abmat situps during CrossFit wods) But love your hickey.

I’ll take that doughnut, too.
Courtney recently posted..Makeup & Workouts

23 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna October 29, 2012 at 9:48 pm

congrats!! that is such a huge accomplishment and being able to complete a half ironman alongside your family is so incredible! :)
Julianna @ Julianna Bananna recently posted..I haven’t died!

24 Rachel Wilkersom October 30, 2012 at 8:37 am

Congrats!! I loved this post; it’s so good to stop and appreciate the important people in our lives. Your family seems so great (and it’s growing with all the weddings!)…you are a lucky girl!
Rachel Wilkersom recently posted..The Halloween party

25 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian October 30, 2012 at 8:38 am

Congratulations Meghann! You are so lucky to have family that supports you 100% – it’s a gift.
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..My Night with Bob Greene

26 Meghan @ After the Ivy League October 30, 2012 at 8:55 am

Great job conquering that race!! It’s incredible to see people complete these half-marathons, right now I can’t even imagine being able to do something like that! I do have a triathlon goal in mind, I’m hoping it’s somewhere in my future. Love reading these recaps and post race thoughts, so helpful to beginners like me!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Hurricane Sandy to the Rescue