more ยป" />

A Berry Good Yelp

by Meghann on October 25, 2012

Tonight Diana and I carpooled it to downtown Plant City for October’s Yelp Elite event.

PA250001.JPG

You can learn a little more about Yelp Elite in THIS post, also previous Elite events can be found here, here, and here. :)

I’ve only driven through Plant City via I-4 corridor (with the occasional pit stop at Parkesdale Market), but I can’t say I’ve ever been to their downtown area. It’s really cute, just as you would expect any small town downtown to be like and The Corner Store, where the event was hosted, was about as adorable as small downtown restaurants come. It’s locally owned by a husband and wife team who take pride in serving local, organic food, and embrace the slow food movement. They’re only open for lunch and serve sandwiches, smoothies, salads, and soups.

PA250004.JPG

The event was co-hosted by Parkesdale Market, which seemed to the be the perfect pairing. One side grows the food, the other side cooks it and serves it.

PA250057.JPG

We were greeted with an assorted display of pickled and fresh veggies to nibble on.

PA250003.JPG

And I finally had a chance to try the famous Parkesdale strawberry cookies so many of my blogger friends were raving about at Central Florida BlogCon this year.

PA250006.JPG

Whoa. Now THAT’S a strawberry cookie. I think someone hit it on the head when they said it was like eating strawberry jello. The cookies were VERY strawberry-y, but not in a bad way. They were very unique – like nothing I’ve ever tasted – and very delicious.

They were sampling wines, so I had a couple of mini “shots”

PA250016.JPG

And some sangria (which was too sweet for my taste and I ended up ditching)

PA250019.JPG

Our meal was served in stages.

First up: delicious butternut soup.

PA250024.JPG PA250025.JPG

mmm… fall in a cup! :)

PA250029.JPG

Second: fruit and nut salad

PA250036.JPG

Remember when I said I was over salads? Yeah, I think I’m just over MY salads. This salad was full of fresh pears, pecans, blue cheese, craisins, and a light dressing that brought it all together. It was freaking amazing.

PA250032.JPG

Third: hummus and pitas

PA250039.JPG PA250041.JPG

Fourth: a green veggie juice that contained spinach, collards, cucumber, celery, apple, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and coconut water. I didn’t hate it, but I did think the cucumber and vinegar was a little strong. All you needed was some tomato and you had a good gazpacho going.

PA250044.JPG PA250045.JPG

Fifth: fruit and cheese plate

PA250048.JPG

Pear slices and bries? Do I really need to say more? ;)

Sixth: hot italian sandwich and turkey with cranberry

PA250050.JPG

Holy moly. Both were AMAZING. I was trying to stick to just a couple of bites each, but I ended up finishing both because they were too delicious not to. Both were toasted and had just the right amount of cheese and condiment to take them over the edge. I would return and order either again in a heartbeat.

PA250052.JPG

Dessert!

PA250071.JPG

Parkesdale milkshakes!!!!

PA250054.jpg PA250055.JPG

I heard a rumor the milkshakes would be there and was just biding my time until they were served. I had one of each and don’t regret a sip. These are seriously the best milkshakes on the planet. Soooooo good!

PA250056.JPG

THANK YOU to The Little Corner Store and Parkesdale Market for co-hosting tonight’s Yelp Elite event. It was fun to get out of Tampa and explore a new town. I promise I will be back!

PA250074.JPG

This Yelper needs some sleep.

Good night!

1 Jean October 25, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I know what you mean about not liking YOUR salads-I always think mine are so boring and unoriginal and then I’ll have one made by someone else that’s almost identical and suddenly I think it’s delicious!

2 Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More October 25, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Oh my goodness, that food all looks so amazing! My mouth is now watering~!

3 Carrie @ The Cook's Palette October 26, 2012 at 1:28 am

Looks like a really fun event! And now I’m craving a milkshake…

4 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 26, 2012 at 5:39 am

Half-way to my Elite membership and I can’t wait, you’re really making it unbearable to wait any longer!! But I’m attending my first Yelper get-together next week — pizza night!
Thank you so much for introducing me to the fabulous world of Yelping — I’m so addicted! :)

5 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 26, 2012 at 6:45 am

These Yelp events seem like so much fun! Too bad Tallahassee doesn’t have a Yelp Elite group :/

6 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 26, 2012 at 7:01 am

It sounds like a really cute place! I love small downtown, they have so much character!

7 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 26, 2012 at 7:20 am

What a cool event! I need to participate on Yelp more. :)

8 Sara@RunningInPinkProject October 26, 2012 at 7:51 am

I have that same less dress! Well, its close anyway. Mine came from Belk which I dont know if you guys have down in FL. I was never able to find one. :)

9 Meghann October 26, 2012 at 8:52 am

We have Belk here! There used to be one right by my parents’ house, but they closed last year and I used to handle the pre-prints for the one in Tallahassee. :) But the dress is not from Belk, I actually ordered it from Delias during my lace dress shopping spree last March.

10 Reenie October 26, 2012 at 8:03 am

That salad looks like one my friend makes:

* mixed greens
* glazed walnuts
* craisins
* feta cheese
* raspberry vinegarette

Very simple….very good. It’s good with grilled chic breast on it too. :)

11 Caroline Calcote October 26, 2012 at 8:34 am

So sad I had to miss this one! Xiomara is just the nicest person ever and I love Parkesdale. Dear Yelp Tampa Bay: no more Elite events on Thursday nights, please! I can never do Thursday nights because of Chad’s pool league. Hope to see you at the next one! We’re going to Datz.

12 Meghann October 26, 2012 at 8:53 am

I’m hoping to make it to Datz since that one sounds AWESOME, but that’s the same day as my preview for the New Fantasyland so it’s all a matter of if I make it back to town in time… fingers crossed! And, yes, we missed you last night! You would have loved it – the corner store is just so cute and the food was delicious!

13 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 26, 2012 at 8:34 am

I can’t remember the last time I had a milkshake! That looks so tasty!

14 Cher @ Weddicted October 26, 2012 at 8:53 am

“All you needed was some tomato and you had a good gazpacho going.” – LOL.
I often juice with cucumbers and I always regret it. The flavour is just gross when blended.

Also, I hear ya on the salad thing – a greek salad is SO GOOD when I’m out, but when I make it? Meh..

15 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 26, 2012 at 9:16 am

Wow, what a delicious spread of food! I’d love to try that butternut soup. And I think I’m going to have to plan a trip to Florida simply to get a milkshake! You rave about them far too much for them not to be out of this world!

16 Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles October 26, 2012 at 9:56 am

Looks like such a fun event!

17 Emily N October 26, 2012 at 10:21 am

Looks like an AWESOME meal!

18 Meghan @ After the Ivy League October 26, 2012 at 10:32 am

Mmm, turkey and cranberry sandwiches are one of my number one cravings I’ve been having lately! I gotta remember to buy some cranberry sauce so I can satisfy that one.

19 Sarah October 26, 2012 at 10:36 am

All of that food looked so yummy and it looked like a nice event as well.

20 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 26, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Lucky you, everything looks delicious! And I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I don’t think I’ve ever had a strawberry cookie?! Yummm.

21 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 28, 2012 at 5:51 pm

oh man! I’m drooling over here….