Done With Salads

by Meghann on October 24, 2012

I think I’m over salads. Blame the changing seasons (though it is currently 88 degrees outside ;)), but I’m done with them (for now). I had all the ingredients set out for a tasty leftover salad for lunch today, but the idea of the cold salad didn’t sound appealing in the least. Do you know what did sound appealing? Heating everything up and making a hot salad instead.

Yes. Much better. 🙂

Basically I took all of the ingredients I was about to put in the salad bowl and put them in a pan on the stove top instead. Carrot, leftover pork, leftover potato, walnuts, and spinach (added at the end) were all warmed up and served HOT. I also crumbled some white cheddar cheese and added it at the last minute. The cheese totally hit the spot.

Hot salads are so much more fun to eat than cold ones. I think I might also be burnt out on spinach. Perhaps I should change it up with some arugula or baby spring mix blend? I always buy spinach because it’s so easy to add to random weeknight dishes for an extra green veggie kick (like throwing a handful in soups or smoothies), plus Derek loves adding spinach to his daily sandwiches. Regular lettuce (romaine, red leaf, green, etc.), has always been sort of blah and flavorless to me (and not as nutrient dense), so I favored the spinach. Definitely time to mix it up. Until then, I’m a fan of the hot salad creations. 🙂

Has anyone else been losing interest in salads lately? I really do believe the changes of seasons has a lot to do with it. Instead of craving cold salad, I’m craving soups, pumpkin, and roasted everything. yummmmmm.

New Wedding Post! Fido v. our Cake topper. Any guesses who won in that battle?

1 Courtney October 24, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I’ve been massaging kale and warming it in the microwave for 30 seconds before topping it with my salad fixin’s. Delicious and warm!

2 Kristen October 24, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I couldn’t agree more with being done with salads. My lunch today was leftover roasted veggies, chicken, and spinach. All warmed up.

3 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 24, 2012 at 3:14 pm

My stomach has trouble digesting all the raw plant fibre in cold salads, so I find myself taked with preparing warm salads all year round. In the summer, I’ll often cook them and chill them so I don’t overheat. Not going to lie, I enjoy the softer texture of the veggies more than anything. So warm salads are totally a winner in my eyes. Glad to have you on the bandwagon!! If only for the season. 😉
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Every Little Thing She Does is Magic

4 Rachel F October 24, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I am over salads too, and I’m okay with that. Cold, light meals like salads are great for the spring and summer when fruits and veggies are bountiful and in season. As soon as the weather starts to turn I take the veggies that I love that are in season (like brussel sprouts, squash, sweet potatoes, and eggplant) and roast them. Usually I burn out on roasted veggies right when spring comes along. Bring on soup weather!

5 erica October 24, 2012 at 3:18 pm

i’m totally over salads. i don’t know why…

6 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 24, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Weirdly I’m the opposite – I’ve been craving salads recently!!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Busy Sunday

7 natalie @ will jog for food October 24, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I had a hot Caesar once and it was so good! But I have never thought of making it on my own.

I eat salads almost every day for lunch…they are easy to get sick of!
natalie @ will jog for food recently posted..Creme Brulee for Breakfast

8 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 24, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I’m actually loving salads right now, but I definitely go through phases where I get so tired and burned out on them. I think the key is to change up the toppings!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..I See A Theme Developing!

9 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 24, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I’ve been choking down salads a bit recently – but I don’t like sauteed spinach so I’m going to have to come up with something in the middle.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW # 7–Send in the Candy Corn.

10 Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 24, 2012 at 4:42 pm

my salad carvings are still as strong as ever but I have changed some of the toppings to fit with the Fall season.
Brittany @Berries and Barbells recently posted..Pumpkin Walk & What I ate Wednesday

11 jill e. October 24, 2012 at 5:06 pm

i was eating salads, of spinach, for a solid 2 years when all of a sudden i could not get in more then two bites before i felt ill. its not as easy to come up with quick easy lunches but i try to cook veggies and some sort of left over protein or frozen protein (veg burgers, nuggets) but sometimes it does not always hit the spot. look forward to seeing what else you come up with since you always have awesome ideas.

12 Lindsay October 24, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Agreed! I’m totally a hot salad person – I even eat them in the summer sometime 🙂

13 Annette @FitnessPerks October 24, 2012 at 5:27 pm

When it’s cold out, I need something WARM in my belly! I do enjoy cold spinach smoothies after a hard/hot workout, though!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Why Being Judgmental Is Futile

14 Katie @ Livehalffull October 24, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I’ve been done with salads lately too-I’m all about the soup! I’m also done with smoothies and have switched to oatmeal. So much better!!!

15 Caitlin October 24, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I’m a seasonal eater, as well (or I use to be?) but somehow managed to eat oatmeal all summer and am still craving smoothies. I still don’t think I could eat chili in the summer though.

16 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes October 24, 2012 at 7:00 pm

I’m not sick of salads right now, but I know once winter hits they will no longer be part of my lunchtime rotation; the season definitely affect my cravings.
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Developing a Triathlon Off-Season Workout Plan, Part 2

17 Amy October 24, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Agreed on the seasonal love lost for salads. I’m glad it’s not just me. I haven’t been drinking my green drinks either, even though I make them and pack them for work and have them in a cooler at my desk! I’ve been hankering for spicy food at a warm temp.

18 Emily @ Life on Food October 24, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Yep, once the heat goes on I am done with cold salads. If you have time, try roasted veggies – so good!
Emily @ Life on Food recently posted..WIAW: Life on the Road

19 meredith October 24, 2012 at 8:03 pm

this is so funny because I feel the exact same way this week! I am tired of cold salads, recently made a few “hot salads” and then switched to making greek yogurt parfaits for lunch.

20 Jojo October 24, 2012 at 8:07 pm

I still enjoy a nice salad every once in a while, but recently, I’ve been making things like chili with cornbread, butternut squash soup, and roasted vegetables. Yum.

21 Caitlin October 24, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I’m surprised I’m not tired of salads yet. I’ve literally eaten them every single day for lunch since May. I kind of freaked out 2 weeks ago because I’m very much a seasonal eater and have no clue what my lunch will be once it’s cooler out- but for now I’m sticking with salads!

22 Cara October 24, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I have completely lost interest in salads with the changing of the seasons as well. I have resorted to soups, leftovers, and warm salads for lunch since it has been getting cooler.
Cara recently posted..It’s Pizza time!

23 Amelia October 24, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Agreed! That was me for dinner tonight. I thought about making a salad since it would be fast, but then I thought that I’d probably gag trying to get it down. Therefore I took all of the ingredients, threw them in a pot, added vegetable stock and ate a thick ‘stew’. Thank goodness it was spinach and not lettuce. 😉

24 Annie October 24, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I am right there with ya! In fact, I made a very tasty vegetable soup tonight. I have a bunch of lettuce in the fridge and I didn’t even think of putting it on the stove. Love that idea 🙂
Annie recently posted..Discuss pigs in gestation crates: are they humane?

25 Jodi @ Jodi, Fat or Not October 24, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I’ve been over salads for a weeks now. It’s all about chilis, sandwiches, and stirfrys for me. I’m sure around the holidays though will all the heavy food and sweets I’ll start craving salads again!
Jodi @ Jodi, Fat or Not recently posted..Two years and counting

26 [email protected] October 24, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Warm foods all the way right now!!!
[email protected] recently posted..Charlotte Roadtrip

27 Kate October 24, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Yep, so I’ve been trying some new salads – I’ve discovered a warm broccoli and cauliflower salad with shredded purple cabbage, shredded carrot, one clove of ground garlic, two tablespoons of olive oil, chia seeds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, avocado. It looks horrid but tastes pretty darn good.

I’m going through a juicing stage at the moment but finding it annoying…http://skinnycapwithtwosugars.com/2012/10/24/its-not-easy-peasy-lemon-squeezey/

28 runinboise October 24, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I feel kinda bored with spinach. I can only eat so much of it. I guess warming it up on the stove might help with the boredom.
runinboise recently posted..Working It Out and #LivePink

29 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner October 25, 2012 at 12:00 am

I have been over salads lately as well. Then again, I live in Wisconsin, and it’s already 45 degrees. Hot salads all the way! (And stir fries and crock pot stews, etc.)
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Simply Stewing

30 Sara @my less serious life October 25, 2012 at 6:38 am

i love the idea of having a hot salad in the cold months! some great healthy lunch, just warm!
Sara @my less serious life recently posted..what i ate wednesday: issue 55

31 Irina @ Chocolatea Time October 25, 2012 at 11:16 am

Oh goodness thank god I’m not the only girl in the world who is sooo sick of salads (and green smoothies actually as well). I just can’t seem to stomach them lately! I guess the seasons changed and took my appetite for crisp greens with them…
Irina @ Chocolatea Time recently posted..Product Review: Journey Bars

32 Meghan @ After the Ivy League October 25, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Total opposite, haven’t had salad in ages really and lately they’ve been making a comeback!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Miracles and Sunshine