more ยป" />

Evening Swimmers

by Meghann on October 23, 2012

It’s official – no more morning swim practices until the spring! Woo hoo! As much as I loved jumping in the pool at 6:30am, I can’t say I’m going to miss it. Bring on the evening practices! I’m ready for them.

night swim.jpg

We had the pool to ourselves tonight – short course with a lane per person. I love when it works out like that. :)

The workout:

• 25 freestyle
  • 10 x 100 w/ full pull kit
  • 50 easy
  • 2 x 100 hard
  • 50 easy

Total: 2550 yards

All those kicks in the beginning were tough. Have you ever tried doing a breast stroke or butterfly kick with a kick board? It’s awkward and a lot harder than it sounds. Also, I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m terrible at the backstroke, that’s the stroke/kick where I usually lost everyone. I need to practice kicking backwards in a straight line, I think that will help. :)

The good news is coach actually commented that my stroke looked better – yes! He made a slight critique that I was still bending my wrist a tad, but the fact he started the critique with “good job” and “I see an improvement” is a step in the right direction. ;) Just the confidence boost I was looking for before Sunday. Thanks, coach!

FOOD!!

Wasn’t lunch today pretty?

There was the leftover shredded chicken with spicy mustard and paprika in a corn tortilla.

And the side of cucumber slices, hummus, and olives.

Double dose of afternoon snacks: hard boiled egg + trail mix with cinnamon Cheerios

IMG_2647.JPG IMG_2650.JPG

Derek was in charge of dinner. I called him on my way home and gave him the go ahead to start the potatoes and chicken sausages. By the time I walked in the door, everything was pretty much done. After a quick shower, I was ready to eat.

Dinner perfection.

A piece of chocolate for dessert.

Now I’m enjoying a hot cup of tea while snuggling with my two favorite people on the couch. :)

Good night!

1 Annette @FitnessPerks October 23, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I love that Derek helps get dinner started!

2 Jean October 24, 2012 at 12:54 am

Hey, at least you can do butterfly kicks! I always wanted to try that stroke just to see if I could do it (or something resembling it), but I was always too embarrassed to try it in front of people for fear of looking like a weirdo…

3 Meghann October 24, 2012 at 9:56 am

Don’t be afraid of looking like a weirdo! Trust me, no one at the pool is watching anyone but themselves. Though, I’ll admit that before I started swimming with team XP I was scared of the butterfly simply because I wasn’t sure where to start with it. I had to have them break down step by step of how my body is supposed to move before I could actually move forward with the stroke.

4 Cher @ Weddicted October 24, 2012 at 7:42 am

Love coming home to dinner being made :) My husband can’t really cook, mind you! But it’s the thought that counts!

5 Jess October 24, 2012 at 7:45 am

I think you might surprise yourself in your upcoming half – fine, you don’t have much experience with training intensively on the bike but you are naturally a pretty strong runner and you have been improving so much in your swimming – I admire that because I am a crappy swimmer and couldn’t get past the embarrassment in order to stick with team training and get better.

So I believe you have cause to be a little more confident than you think :)

6 Meghann October 24, 2012 at 10:00 am

Thank you, Jess. :) And you should definitely look into moving past that embarrassment with swimming with a team. Trust me, I started at the very bottom of the swim ladder and still have very far to go, but my team has been there every step of the way and there’s no way I would be where I am now in the water without them. Having a team to support you in the water will out weigh any feeling of embarrassment, trust me!

7 NYC Fit GIrl October 24, 2012 at 8:36 am

Looks like you are enjoying evening swimming much more than morning swimming!

8 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 24, 2012 at 8:48 am

I had chocolate as dessert too — was I ever in heaven!! So perfect after a long day! (Scratch that — chocolate is perfect during or after every day, but WAY more perfect after a gruelling day!)
When I used to swim, the backstroke was my specialty — breast-stroke was my kryptonite. I hear ya on the difficulty with those kicks with the boards. I always felt like I was bobbing and going nowhere!! (Probably why the arms are so important in those strokes!!)
Cinnamon Cheerios = fabulous!! As are Honey Nut Cheerios with added cinnamon. ;)

9 Meghann October 24, 2012 at 10:01 am

Any advice for swimming backwards in a straight line? I think that’s really where I struggle. That and the fear of running into the back wall (which I’ve done more times than I care to state)

10 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 24, 2012 at 10:10 am

I swam inside, so I knew which bar overhead meant that I had three strokes to the wall … Do you guys have flags you would be able to stretch across the lanes?
As for the straight line — the ceiling helped too, but even pulling (obviously), arms by your ears to keep the angle the same, and rolling slightly to that side when you reach to keep stream-lined might help. :) (Except rolling to the side like that totally made me feel like I was “waddling” through the water for the first little while … kind of strange, but I got so used to it that it became natural and I didn’t notice it anymore.)
If it helps, I wasn’t allowed to ever race IM because I am physically incapable of doing the breast-stroke kick. No matter how many laps I did, it just wouldn’t happen. We all have our struggle strokes!! Hence the expression “Different strokes for different folks..?” ;)

11 Jennifer L October 24, 2012 at 9:26 am

I’ve been craving a swimming workout lately… I think I know who I have to blame/thank for that!

12 Anne P October 24, 2012 at 9:40 am

I miss having the UNC pool to swim in – it’s been way too long since I hit the pool! Jealous of your swim practices. :)

13 Lindsay October 24, 2012 at 10:40 am

So many great things going on in this post!

First, congratulations on your improved swim technique. It’s clear that you’ve been working very hard at it, and I know you’ll impress yourself in the swim leg this weekend because of it. You’re such a determined person; it’s very inspiring!

Second, I love that Derek will help get dinner started. You guys seem to have a very balanced relationship :-)

14 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 24, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I really like that swim workout! Kicking was my strength back in the day…I kept up with the boys and always beat the girls. Pulling, on the other hand, was a different story. To help your backstroke, maybe you should try just kicking WHILE you roll your shoulders to get a better feel for it.

15 Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 24, 2012 at 7:38 pm

You are one lucky lady…I can think of less than a handful of times in 5 years of marriage when my husband has made dinner or any meal for that matter!

16 Amanda from Ms Giggles October 25, 2012 at 11:31 am

I can tell you that there were days I walked into swim practice and wanted to cry seeing 5000+ yards on the white board. It makes me happy to see that someone else didn’t like kickboards and butterfly! Me either! I would never use one. :) Love reading these.