Wedding: Sent!

by Meghann on October 22, 2012

After a week of re-printing, re-organizing, addressing, stamping, and sealing, I’m happy to announce 100 wedding invitations were dropped in the mailbox this afternoon.

20121022_133532.jpg

(I should note that all of the invitations EXCEPT international invitations were dropped in the mailbox. It’s a long story, but we had some problems with our save-the-dates making it to our out-of-the-country family so we’re still trying to figure out a way to get them out – and get the pre-stamped RSVPs back to us – before we send them out. Did anyone else have international wedding guests? Any tips for invitations/RSVPs? Maybe a note about emailing/calling about the RSVP just in case the RSVP postcard doesn’t make it back to us?)

It was an odd feeling dropping the invitations in the mailbox. Honestly, I’m a little nervous. The invitations are not traditional by any means, so I’m hoping everyone who receives them understands them. I’m also really excited to see the RSVPs start rolling back in. My sister said it took two days she started receiving hers – eekk!

And, now that the wedding invites have gone out, the bridal shower, rehearsal dinner, and Sunday brunch invites will soon follow. It’s starting to get real! 🙂

I’ll do a big invitation reveal later in the week (after I know the majority of guests have received the invites), until then I just wanted to mark this wedding milestone with a blog post (for some reason I felt it deserved one 🙂 ).

How long did it take before you started receiving RSVPs? Were you nervous sending out your wedding invitations, too?

1 Brittany October 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Yay! I’m sure it will be really fun receiving the RSVP cards.

2 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife October 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm

awww yay! the big day is getting closer!
Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife recently posted..MIMM Randoms

3 natalie @ will jog for food October 22, 2012 at 2:17 pm

It’s so exciting to send out the invites!

International mail is tricky… I would call them or email them if you haven’t received the RSVP by the deadline.
natalie @ will jog for food recently posted..Pregnancy Update – Week 16

4 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 22, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I bet that moment of letting them go just made everything feel SO much more real!! 🙂 Excellent activity to raise your spirits on a Monday!
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..MIMM — Goals and Intentions

5 Laurin October 22, 2012 at 2:40 pm

My parents lived in Thailand while I was planning my wedding so I sent a ton of international invites. I sent the whole lot of them to my parents house and they sent them to their friends/family that were local to them (including invites that went to Singapore, China, Etc.) We followed up with a digital copy of the invite/rsvp card, just in case.
Laurin recently posted..Boo! at the Zoo

6 maria October 22, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I currently live internationally and I never trust that I’ll get mail! I have my friends send invitations to my parents so I can see the pretty invitation eventually when I visit, and I either have my parents RSVP for me or I contact the bride/groom via email about it. I know it may seem like you need to make everything perfect and keep it formal with the invites, but as someone living abroad who doesnt trust the mail, I would say your biggest concern is practicality and making sure those who are invited know and are able to connect with you to rsvp. I’d be very understanding of an email in this situation! Hope that helps a bit : )

7 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 22, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Ahhh I can’t wait to see them!

8 Dani October 22, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I sent international save the dates a few months ago. Splurge on insured/certified mail. Digital copies are convenient and all but nothing beats opening a beautiful invitation by hand.

9 Kaylin October 22, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I am getting married in a little more than three months and sent my invitations out a couple weeks ago (we are doing a destination wedding and our RSVP date is the book by date).

We also have several international invitations that were sent out. We also sent out STDs, but similarly, they weren’t received (even our friend in HI didn’t get it). We were going to add tracking to them, but when we brought them to the post office, it ended up costing like $20+ each to do so, and it just was out of our budget. So we just sent them off and followed up with emails to let them know it was on it’s way.

10 Laura October 22, 2012 at 4:08 pm

You could do an online RSVP system for the internation guests. We did that and it worked great! Just slip a piece of paper with the website inside their invites.

11 Cher @ Weddicted October 22, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I was kind of nervous, too! Just because I was hoping that I didn’t forget anyone and because I had heard horror stories from both my sister-in-laws about their R.S.V.P.’s. Here are some of the top doozies:
– A few people sent their R.S.V.P. cards checked “declines” or “accepts” … and didn’t put a name (??????)
– We put “____ seats have been reserved in your honor” to deter people from adding guests if they weren’t invited with one (we only invited people who were in relationships, engaged, or married, with guests); someone took their R.S.V.P. card and wrote that they would be attending (without a guest, he has children but his wife passed away). BUT, he also included another R.S.V.P. card (later found out that it was his parents’) and added his childen on it, and sent them both back in one envelope.
– Half of my dad’s side didn’t bother responding, they just thought we “knew” that they were coming.
Just wait for the crazy things that you will encounter, lol. All of that aside, I was pretty excited when we started receiving them back. I got a few the day that they were sent out via email (we included an online R.S.V.P. option) and a couple stuffed under our door, haha. I guess our friends were excited, too!

Have fun!
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Wedding inspiration: Bright neons!

12 lynne October 23, 2012 at 12:06 am

i had all of those responses too! 🙂 we wrote numbers on the back of each RSVP card and it was entertaining/interesting to see who forgot to put their name on the card.
lynne recently posted..Marriage: Thoughts on Name Changing

13 Cher @ Weddicted October 24, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Oh – great idea!
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Bridesmaid looks under $500.00

14 Steph October 22, 2012 at 4:26 pm
15 evelyn October 22, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I had a lot of guests coming in from canada, so in advance of sending out the invites i bought canadian stamps online, then pre-stamped my canadian rsvps with the canadian stamps – it worked!
but I’ll agree with Cher too – some people just think you “know” they’re coming…

16 Marianne October 22, 2012 at 5:16 pm

We had only 50 guests invited to our wedding, but 30 invites were international.
There’s no point to add a stamp on the RSVP cards – US stamps are not valid when sending something from abroad. I would skip the RSVP card and add a note asking to please RSVP by phone or email (we only had e-mail RSVPs). I’d also have a scanned copy of your invite ready in case someone doesn’t receive their invite due to postal issues (make sure you mention to the international guests that you’ve sent the invitation).

17 Gina October 22, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I just got invited to wedding that has a lot of international guest. The RSVP card said something along the lines of international guest please RSVP on the website. Don’t know how they sent the invites. hope that helps

18 Stephanie October 22, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Congratulations! I bet it’s starting to feel real now!
Stephanie recently posted..How to Achieve Running Success – Mile Twenty Eight

19 BroccoliHut October 22, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Yay! How exciting! We sent out our invitations September 9th, a tad less than two months before the wedding. We started receiving RSVPs about a week after, but the majority of them came rolling in about three weeks after week sent them out. We asked for RSVPs to be sent before October 15th, but we still got a few stragglers within the past few days. Good thing we don’t have to give an estimate to the caterer until three days before the wedding!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Wedding Wednesday: Bridesmaids’ Gifts

20 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife October 22, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I sent STD’s and invites to two overseas friends. I took them to the post office to determine the postage. For the RSVP, while I included the RSVP (sans postage, because I can’t purchase the right postage here in the US), I put a note in each one asking the guest to send me an email with their RSVP.

I was so excited, because actually both of our international guests came to the wedding! One was my husband’s college roommate, that I had never met before, lived in England, and decided he wanted to see all of his friends from college. The other was a college friend of mine who was coming back home for a family wedding the next weekend, so they made a week of it. I felt so blessed!
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..The Good Runs

21 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife October 22, 2012 at 10:23 pm

By the way, the STD’s/invites were going to the UK and Denmark if that helps.
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..The Good Runs

22 Anne P October 23, 2012 at 9:45 am

So exciting – can’t wait to see them!! For a couple of our guests who were international we just didn’t include a stamp on the RSVP response card and then emailed them to say they could just RSVP via email. It was just easier! Our invites went out mostly smoothly but a few people didn’t get theirs – that will always happen. Sometimes things just get lost in the mail!
Anne P recently posted..Wedding: The Day Before (Rehearsal Dinner & Meet + Greet)

23 Melissa @TryingtoHeal October 23, 2012 at 10:25 am

I’m watching the mail like a hawk!! AHHHH!!!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Before Getting Foodbuzz’d!

24 Lindsay Margaret October 23, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Within a week of sending ours out, we started getting replies. We got quite a few right away from the people who are on top of things and then we would get some here and there. Eventually we did end up having to make some phone calls and we never heard from about 15 people, although I knew none of them were coming.
Lindsay Margaret recently posted..Wedding Photos are Here!