Mad, Mad, Mad Monday

by Meghann on October 22, 2012

Good Morning!

I woke up feeling so much better this morning. *knock on wood* I can breathe out of my nose, my throat isn’t scratchy, and I have my energy back – victory! I may have kicked this cold in the butt *more knocking on wood*

I felt so good that I decided to head to CrossFit this morning. This will be my only CrossFit session of the week since Miami 70.3 is on Sunday (can you believe it’s here already?) and I don’t want to be sore the day of the race.

Today was “Mad, Mad, Mad Monday” at the box.

20121022_075702.jpg

And they weren’t kidding – this workout was MAD.

Warm Up: 400 m run, 100 jump ropes, 10 swings, 10 push-ups

Just a little cardio to get the blood pumpin.

WOD: I’m going to break it up down below since this one was a little complicated. Basically there were four stations that we rotated between for 90 seconds per station and 30 seconds of rest in between. Since there were only 6 of us in the class, we only had to break up into 2 groups of 3 for the stations. Technically I started at swings, but since the WOD above is set-up to start at row, I’ll start the explanation from there.

• 90 seconds row for calories

row = row machine

row.jpg

(source: http://www.blackwarriorrowingclub.com/)

We had to do 90 seconds of straight row and track the number of calories burned after each set. We weren’t necessarily tracking the number of how many calories we burned through the workout, we just needed a number to track and coach picked calories. I don’t have a lot of experience with the row machine so I felt slow from the beginning as I tried to figure out what exactly I should be doing. I averaged about 11-13 calories burned in each 90 second interval.

• 30 seconds rest
  • 90 seconds swing

swing = kettlebell swing, where you swing the kettlebell under your legs and thrust it over your head.

anniekettlebellswing_2.jpg

(source: http://crossfitrockwall.typepad.com/)

Prescribed weight was 35lbs, but I went with 25lbs. It’s crazy how much HEAVIER the weight started to feel as the rounds went on. Whenever I felt I was losing form, I knew it was time to take a break. We counted reps for the 90 seconds and I averaged 20-25 reps per round.

• 30 seconds rest
  • 90 seconds DU’s (sub is lateral jumps)

DU? Huh? I never actually had this explained to me, but when I realized it would involve a jump rope, I decided the sub was the way to go. Perhaps I’ll build up to that one day. Luckily everyone else in my group went the sub route as well.

DU’s sub = lateral jumps = side-to-side jumps over hurdle

20121022_075714.jpg

Hurt so good. This was another thing that got tougher over time. I knew I needed a break when my feet started hitting the bar or I was double stepping. I actually got yelled at quite a bit for double stepping. You’re supposed to jump up with both feet and land with both feet at the same time, my feet refused to go in sync and felt one at a time was the way to go. Too bad my coach didn’t see it that way…

We counted jumps and my personal goal was to stay in the mid-30 range.

• 30 seconds rest
  • 90 seconds planks (-15 every time you come down)

I think we all know what a plank is. We had to hold the plank for 90 seconds and every time your knees came down (or you collapsed) in those 90 seconds, you had to subtract 15 from your total score. It was tempting to drop (soooooo tempting!), but I kept reminding myself how hard I worked for those 15s and how much it would suck to lose any of them. That was my motivation – not wanting to lose anything I had already worked for. I am proud to report that I made it through all 5 rounds without dropping, but I can’t say I wasn’t tempted to do it more than once. I’m not going to lie, if there wasn’t such a high penalty, I would have dropped every time.

• 30 seconds rest
  • 5 rounds for max reps + cals

We kept track of reps/ row calorie counts for each set, then added up all the numbers at the end for the board.

20121022_075648.jpg

(Can you see how my max reps got lower as I went on? I was hurting!)

My total score was 353.

20121022_075741.jpg

I had the lowest score in my 6-person class and I am not ashamed. I freakin’ earned that 353! πŸ˜‰

After classes I stopped at Publix to pick up the ingredients for a green protein smoothie.

20121022_084123.jpg

In the mix:

• ice
  • spinach
  • frozen mango
  • peanut butter
  • chia seed
  • vanille whey protein powder
  • milk

On top:

• Love Crunch Cocoa Granola

20121022_084129.jpg

So refreshing and exactly what I was craving. Yum. Yum. Yum.

Time to get this Monday started!

Have a great start to the week! πŸ™‚

1 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 22, 2012 at 10:42 am

It appears as though CrossFit is no joke! Wow!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Food, Family, Fun!

2 Megan October 22, 2012 at 10:48 am

Nice job! DU’s are TOUGH. I had to buy a jump rope to practice at home.

3 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer October 22, 2012 at 10:54 am

I have been interested in CrossFit but worried I’m not in shape enough to keep up! It seems like a great workout though!
Sloane @ Life Food and Beer recently posted..Curls!

4 Dori October 22, 2012 at 10:56 am

Sounds like a really fun workout. I like the play on “It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World!”
Dori recently posted..Blue Cross Blue Shield365 Program + VISA $500 Gift Card Giveaway

5 NYC Fit GIrl October 22, 2012 at 10:58 am

How awesome is CrossFIt! I have been doing it for a few months and just got double unders woot woot!! Keep practicing and you will defiantly get it!

6 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 22, 2012 at 11:05 am

Whew! That crossfit workout sounds hard! Awesome job! Lol and I love that I knew DU means double unders just from reading blogs…

7 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife October 22, 2012 at 11:26 am

This wod is kind of like the one that we are doing today! great job! and don’t compare yourself to the others give it your all and you will have a great workout!
Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife recently posted..30 Minute Challenge

8 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer October 22, 2012 at 11:48 am

Double unders are the devil. I also bought a rope to practice at home. I love rowing – even if I’m not fast! The trick is to pull strong and long. A lot of people just keep pulling faster and end up with short strokes. If you pull long and wait a second before pulling again you’re going to have better power and speed. A lot of people at my box pull to where they are laying down and have the bar all the way to their chin! Way to earn your score!!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Weekly Workout Recap

9 Sarah October 22, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Great job! Double unders are probably one of the hard crossfit moves, lots of coordination and speed and early in the morning I think makes it even more difficult, I probably would have done the sub as well. The rest of the WOD sounded fun though.
Sarah recently posted..Paleo muffins and Crossfit

10 allison October 22, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Hi! What ratios do you use to make your smoothie. Just curious – mine always come out “icy” than smooth. Thanks!

11 Meghann October 22, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I never measure anything specifically for a smoothie, it’s generally by feel. I usually add two handfuls of spinach, 1/2 the bag of frozen mango, a handful of ice, one spoonful or peanut butter, one scoop of protein powder, and then add the milk last. I usually pour enough milk to coat the bottom, then let it the blender go. I’ll gradually add more milk as needed (generally needing to add 2-3x more than I started with) until the consistency is right. I’d say it just takes practice until you get it right. Try going light on the ice and adding the milk as needed until the texture is how you want it. Good luck!

12 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 22, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Phew! Looks like it was a tough one!! Congrats on the pride of your result — own it, girl!! πŸ˜‰
And as a former rower — the erg takes a LONG time to get used to (the technique, the pain, the small nuances, etc.), so don’t get down on yourself for not being a pro the first time out (it doesn’t sound that you’re down! Just something to keep in mind!). Focus on really driving off your heels and engaging your legs, while just using your arms to follow through, and you’ll be fine!
Can’t believe that the 70.3 week is here already!! Yay for hitting the taper! Tapering is totally my favourite!
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..MIMM β€” Goals and Intentions

13 Annette @FitnessPerks October 22, 2012 at 1:40 pm

That does sound like a lot of fun! I love kettleball swings. So fun!

14 Sarah October 22, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Be VERY careful with those lateral jumps. You are a little knock-kneed (like I am) and I tore my ACL doing lateral jumps at CrossFit. After many months (and Surgery) I am finally getting back to normal. My PT says that my knock-kneed stance and tendancy to bring my knees in when I land contributed to my injury. Would hate to see that happen to you!

15 Melissa October 22, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Oh my goodness…reading this makes me nervous! My husband and I are going to our first CrossFit class tonight! I’m hoping since it’s an intro one it won’t be TOO bad, but who knows. I’m excited to get stronger, but also scared to be the newbie.

16 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 22, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Coming in last is nothing to be ashamed of…it sounds like you did awesome! You are really inspiring to jump on the CF bandwagon once and for all!
Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut recently posted..Baby Bottles + Bento Boxes

17 Emily N October 23, 2012 at 11:09 am

Oo, I like that workout. I may just try it on my own once the gym welcomes me back (tomorrow, I hope?)
Emily N recently posted..Columbus (Half) Marathon: The "Before"